Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

J1M

Arcane
Can't believe we have a big-brained individual in here arguing that you can't show dismemberment in a Star Wars game. Episode V and VI include main characters losing limbs. Those are PG films.

Episode I and VIII have villains cut in half. The only movie where someone isn't dismembered is Episode VII.

The mundane truth is that EA couldn't figure out how to do it and hit their release date.
How do you explain the fact that all non-human enemies are dismembered then?
Now that I've played the game a little I can easily explain this. You are wrong. :smug:

Enemies are not dismembered. There are static death animations that show lightsaber wounds. Non-human enemies are not cut in half along the path of the blade. They are cut in the exact same way every time. It took killing literally two enemies to notice this and a third to confirm it.

Yosharian

Arcane
Can't believe we have a big-brained individual in here arguing that you can't show dismemberment in a Star Wars game. Episode V and VI include main characters losing limbs. Those are PG films.

Episode I and VIII have villains cut in half. The only movie where someone isn't dismembered is Episode VII.

The mundane truth is that EA couldn't figure out how to do it and hit their release date.
Now that I've played the game a little I can easily explain this. You are too dumb to realize that the death animations involve them pulling the model apart and painting the edges orange. Non-human enemies are not cut in half along the path of the blade. They are cut in the exact same way every time. It took killing literally two enemies to notice this and a third to confirm it.
They are pre-baked dismemberment animations, yes. The dismemberments aren't dynamic, yes. That doesn't mean they couldn't have done the same thing with the human enemies. They could have made similar, pre-baked dismemberment animations for human enemies quite easily.

U-8D8

Savant
No, they're both dogshit. FU is obviously dumber, but we're talking about two piles of dog shit.
I don't disagree. I wasn't comparing the empirical quality of the two. My point was that it was stupid to call TFU the more respectful portrayal when both games in the series ended with the main character beating the tar out of Vader in order to elevate their fanfiction.net tier main character. Shit on Fallen Order all you want, but say "At least TFU treated Vader right" and I'm going to call you the dumbass you are.

J1M

Arcane

Now that I've played the game a little I can easily explain this. You are too dumb to realize that the death animations involve them pulling the model apart and painting the edges orange. Non-human enemies are not cut in half along the path of the blade. They are cut in the exact same way every time. It took killing literally two enemies to notice this and a third to confirm it.
They are pre-baked dismemberment animations, yes. The dismemberments aren't dynamic, yes. That doesn't mean they couldn't have done the same thing with the human enemies. They could have made similar, pre-baked dismemberment animations for human enemies quite easily.
There is a world of difference between making one static death animation for each creature, and creating limb x4, head, and torso animations for each humanoid enemy. And it would have looked as bad as the creature death animations.

Since you need the tech to detect where the killing blow landed for that approach anyway, spending a bunch of money on hand-crafted animations that you can't motion capture makes no sense. Any sensible game director would put resources into doing it properly (hit detection, dynamic dismemberment, rag-doll for the pieces) instead. That it isn't in the game just shows they didn't finish the work in time at a high enough level of quality to ship. Perhaps due to something as mundane as the rag-doll pieces tanking the PS4 frame rate.

Assuming this thing gets a sequel, you will see it there.

Codex Year of the Donut
Just cut them a break! It's clear that … *checks developer* the devs behind Titanfall, Titanfall 2, and Apex: Legends couldn't afford multiple death animations!

DeepOcean

Arcane
Would add to the list of awesome Star Wars games: Star Wars Rebellion, not the game with the best and most challenging AI ever but pretty authentic Star Wars real time 4X.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Just cut them a break! It's clear that … *checks developer* the devs behind Titanfall, Titanfall 2, and Apex: Legends couldn't afford multiple death animations!
All that man power is on the microtransactions, EA single player games all are side projects at this point.

Irata

Scholar
Really feel like you’re missing the entire point of this franchise, such as it is.
I don't think you get the point of my post. All I'm saying that when they're dueling they only win the duel when they get pissed. I'm not talking about anything more than that. If this was Olympic fencing then the good guys only win when they get pissed. The scoreboard doesn't care what happens afterwards.

I would argue that in PM those points are ignored. Neeson staying calm just got him killed. He didn't do it on purpose. He wasn't doing it to become a Force ghost. He's just dead. If Obi Wan stays calm he loses that fight with Maul. He dies and evil wins. Maybe Darth Vader never comes into existence, but the Emperor already had a plan in motion to take over before he even knew Anakin existed. Anakin (presumably) just made the task much easier.

Star Wars is as deep as a puddle. I get everything the movies were trying to say.
Lucas is the one who doesn't understand his story arc. It had a ton of other problems, but Anakin should have been the same age as Luke in PM. Both Anakin and Luke should have had similar backgrounds except that when it finally mattered Anakin gave in whereas Luke triumphed. The contrast between their choices becomes less meaningful with a toddler Anakin. In the 80's the Jedi Order was not a daycare center. Obi Wan actually meant that he wasn't much younger than Luke when he began training to be a Jedi. He wasn't eight.

Irata

Scholar
VADER IN FALLEN ORDER
Not that my opinion matters, but I watched that Vader scene. I didn't think it made Vader look weak. He pretty much wipes the floor with them. The bit with the robot shocking him was stupid though. With his reaction time Vader should have crushed that thing in mid-air.

As far as "girl power", I got the impression that he knelt more out of surprise than her strength. He wasn't expecting a "dark side attack" (if that is really a thing) so it took him off guard for a second. That force shield thing she was doing looked absolutely stupid, but it didn't take him long to break it.

Vader tearing the place apart was a bit much. Even Yoda had to concentrate to get the X-wing out of the swamp. Now they're just ripping out and throwing around heavy objects willy nilly. You can't have them doing things more impressive than what they did in the movies. Going by that scene Yoda should have lifted the X-wing while having a smoke and reading the newspaper (the one with the dude and the Star Destroyed makes Yoda look completely irrelevant).

My only real issue is that Vader looked small. He should have completely towered over these people.
Final Verdict: It was much better than I expected. I thought he came across like a badass for the most part.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Shit on Fallen Order all you want, but say "At least TFU treated Vader right" and I'm going to call you the dumbass you are.
Well, if I ever say that friend, you can punch me in the mouth.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Would add to the list of awesome Star Wars games: Star Wars Rebellion, not the game with the best and most challenging AI ever but pretty authentic Star Wars real time 4X.

It's funny to me that no one ever mentions Force Commander, either in a good or bad context. It's like we all collectively chose to forget that it ever happened.

Eh, at least it had a decent soundtrack. They did an admiral job of mixing synth and 90s rock to John Williams' score.

Drakron

Arcane
As far as "girl power", I got the impression that he knelt more out of surprise than her strength. He wasn't expecting a "dark side attack" (if that is really a thing) so it took him off guard for a second.

I think she was using the Force to crush him and that is why he falls down due to the pressure from the Force but its momentary, he quickly starts rising up because its not going to be effective against him.
I dont think he kneels even, just drops down/squats because of pressure of the Force since we do see a kneeling animations in the game and they dont really look like that.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I will not consider playing this game until mods fix all of the ugly characters. It's too distracting knowing that video game developers do this on purpose now.

between pig nosed ginger and whatever this is:
StarWars_Cere.png

I'm not looking at this ugly shit, which could have been easily avoided by the designers, for hours on end when there are so many other options available for my entertainment dollars

you cannot convince me that the above character and pig nose ginger were not a conscious decision to troll the player with ugly faces, and I hate devs who make conscious decisions to troll their consumers

maybe if the gameplay itself was something better than generic I would grit my teeth and bear through the repulsive characters, but from everything I am hearing it's nothing special

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
I will not consider playing this game until mods fix all of the ugly characters. It's too distracting knowing that video game developers do this on purpose now.

StarWars_Cere.png

I'm not looking at this ugly shit, which could have been easily avoided by the designers, for hours on end when there are so many other options available for my entertainment dollars

you cannot convince me that the above character and pig nose ginger were not a conscious decision to troll the player with ugly faces, and I hate devs who make conscious decisions to troll their consumers

maybe if the gameplay itself was something better than generic I would grit my teeth and bear through the repulsive characters, but from everything I am hearing it's nothing special

Check the last page.

They may have chosen the ugliest people available. But, they used real actors. Pig nosed ginger was joker/proto-joker on the tv series gotham. Which is probably how he got the job.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

StarWars_Cere.png

Check the last page.

They may have chosen the ugliest people available. But, they used real actors. Pig nosed ginger was joker/proto-joker on the tv series gotham. Which is probably how he got the job.

Real actors or not, they definitely uglified them. Here's a picture of the actor at some awards bash:

D7kockj.jpg

and here's the Respawn version in a similar angle:

h7XYeNd.jpg

It looks like they purposely gave him an underbite and made his brow more pronounced. They'd only have done that to make him look uglier and more gormless. I bet that actor looks at his digital self and thinks 'wtf?!'

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is a world of difference between making one static death animation for each creature, and creating limb x4, head, and torso animations for each humanoid enemy. And it would have looked as bad as the creature death animations.

Yes but the entire debate was about "Jedi Outcast did dismemberment so there's no restriction on it!!!" The fact there is dismemberment in the game... whether canned animations or not... proves that doing it with humans was off-limits, likely as a result of Disney owning the franchise now. This point has nothing to do with the technical aspects of dynamic versus static dismemberment.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

StarWars_Cere.png

Check the last page.

Real actors or not, they definitely uglified them. Here's a picture of the actor at some awards bash:

D7kockj.jpg

h7XYeNd.jpg

It looks like they purposely gave him an underbite and made his brow more pronounced. They'd only have done that to make him look uglier and more gormless. I bet that actor looks at his digital self and thinks 'wtf?!'

They're just trying to make us comfortable with the Hapsburg jaw. Unfortunate leftover DNA from the Reptilian invasion of 1539. Don't have any idea about decompression black girl, except maybe they just need a new infusion of chromosomes in order to 'pass' for the commoners.

TheWorld

Educated
I've played the game through the power of arrrr and felt pretty... underwhelmed. The opening part is okayish if you like that kinda of very scripted AAA stuff. When you get the lightsaber it's kinda nice killing stormtroopers... and the lightsaber kills enemy fast enough, doesn't look like a baseball bat this time. I've finished then the first planet. It was... okayish too I guess? I don't feel the dark soul bonefire system really fits well with the star wars mood, but that's whats popular now.

The problem is that I felt the controls where quite shitty, without the right weight or fluidity. This is particularly evident in the crappy prince-of-persia-like wall-running, but also during combat imo. Also, for being an EA AAA game the animations are often really shitty.

Does the game get better moving on? Right now it definitively doesn't deserve 60 bucks, but could be okay to get in a big sale in an year or so if I feel like playing a jedi fantasy

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

StarWars_Cere.png

Check the last page.

D7kockj.jpg

h7XYeNd.jpg

Exactly, thank you. I keep hearing retards say "its the real actors durr!" but those abominations look nothing like the real actors. Look how the retard defending this posted the most ridiculous picture possible of the ginger instead of a normal one. What a fucking lame argument, you need to be completely idiotic to buy it. Debra Wilson doesn't look like a fucking alien in real life. She is a big eyed black lady but she doesn't look like a fucking DEMON (in b4 some retard posts some picture of her trying to look weird because she's a comedian instead of a normal picture of her)

debra-wilson-during-wesparkle-night-take-iii-to-benefit-wespark-at-picture-id105311043
vs
eyes.png

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

StarWars_Cere.png

Check the last page.

D7kockj.jpg

h7XYeNd.jpg

Exactly, thank you. I keep hearing retards say "its the real actors durr!" but those abominations look nothing like the real actors. Look how the retard defending this posted the most ridiculous picture possible of the ginger instead of a normal one. What a fucking lame argument, you need to be completely idiotic to buy it. Debra Wilson doesn't look like a fucking alien in real life. She is a big eyed black lady but she doesn't look like a fucking DEMON (in b4 some retard posts some picture of her trying to look weird because she's a comedian instead of a normal picture of her)

debra-wilson-during-wesparkle-night-take-iii-to-benefit-wespark-at-picture-id105311043
vs
eyes.png

Ehhhhhh, I literary just posted a picture of her from an event. Not when she's doing a comedy routine:

debra-wilson-attends-the-42nd-little-miss-african-american-pageant-picture-id831159184

She kinda does look like an alien if she has short/no hair (imo). That said, ok about the argument. Possible that they uglified them, even then though I don't think they look *COMPLETLY DIFFERENT* than they do in RL. They both are kinda ugly. (Thought that for years before even playing Fallen Order, but YMMV)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom