Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'd say that Dark Souls' different classes, weapons and armor, stats, variety all played a pretty big fucking role in the game's success. It's like offering a Diablo clone without stats and items; nothing but combat (which makes exploration and looking for chests and secrets pointless). Never played Tomb Raider but since raiding fucking tombs is all I'm doing, the comparison is apt. Compared to Jedi Academy combat is a painfully boring and limited. The Academy had three times as many Force powers, plus you could level them up, this game has Push, Pull, Jump (unless you count wall run which got old a long time ago). Its clear that the focus was on the visuals and 'emotional storytelling', not design.

It has Dark Souls-ish combat and a lot of Souls-like tropes (respawning enemies at checkpoints, Metroid style levels, etc.). It's not overall a Dark Souls clone though, no. It mixes that with a lot of Tomb Raider and some other stuff, with a much more "cinematic" story and way less RPG aspects. It's very much a mix of what's popular now (Dark Souls and Tomb Raider sell very well for singleplayer games in 2019). Like I said, if you like those kinds of games you'll like this one. You won't cum all over its tits and marry it, but you'll enjoy yourself. If you don't like those kinds of games, you won't like this one.
You missed my point. Dark Souls would be a very boring game if it had no classes, stats, spells, and tons of different weapons and armor. Acquiring better gear is such a basic design element that I'm surprised they skipped it completely. They didn't even have to think hard as games like Jedi Academy and KOTOR did all the thinking for them. Why even have an option to customize the lightsaber (different emitter, sleeve, switch, material) if all you can do is change the color and looks? Why have the hard to reach chests if all they give you is different textures for the ship, droid, and the stupid poncho?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You missed my point. Dark Souls would be a very boring game if it had no classes, stats, spells, and tons of different weapons and armor. Acquiring better gear is such a basic design element that I'm surprised they skipped it completely. They didn't even have to think hard as games like Jedi Academy and KOTOR did all the thinking for them. Why even have an option to customize the lightsaber (different emitter, sleeve, switch, material) if all you can do is change the color and looks? Why have the hard to reach chests if all they give you is different textures for the ship, droid, and the stupid poncho?

Loads of Metroid-ish games haven't had loot in the traditional sense, only ability upgrades, same as this. You want it to be something other than a console action game, but it's not trying to be anything else.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don’t really disagree (there is a double bladed lightsaber), but this kind of system worked fine for Sekiro. Admittedly, Sekiro has a much bigger skill tree and you can also find a dozen different backup weapons. Still, you’re using the same sword and armor all game. It’s much closer to Fallen Order on the loot spectrum than Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

For me the fun of the Soulsborne games was always in getting my ass handed to me, then playing enough to get in the groove where I know what I’m doing. The problem with Fallen Order is that it doesn’t really offer that experience. To the extent it comes close, the boring traversal stuff breaks up the flow of repeatedly beating your head against the wall.

Edit: I guess this is why I don’t normally buy cinematic action adventure games.

DemonKing

Arcane
The AI is pretty retarded in this game - just run far enough away and enemies will turn and slowly start walking back to their starting point allowing for free backstabs/force pushes off ledges. Also managed to kill a big monster by hiding under a ledge and darting out to hit it once about 20 times before rolling back in again to safety while it swings wildly at my shadow.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just finished this. Either I missed something or there's a massive difficulty spike on the final boss. I played the entire game on hard and barely ever died. The boss before I beat on the second try without much trouble. However the final boss I never even got under half health on hard. Tried like 10 times and said fuck it and put the game on story mode to get it over with. Not my genre enough to go past the point of aggravation. Also the game is way too fucking long IMO, but again that might be because it's not my genre. I'm sure there's people 100%'ing it and loving it.

Anyway... it's worth playing for Star Wars fans. The story is only okay, but the Star Wars atmosphere is really good. The best character comes in late, which is lame. There's no real "SJW" stuff, unless just having a black character is considered SJW these days, so I don't know what that noise was about. Like I said before if you enjoy the genre and Star Wars I can't imagine not enjoying this. If you don't really enjoy the genre like I don't, but love Star Wars, you'll probably agree with me that it's okay. Let me know if that final boss fucked with you like they did with me.

14 Codex points out of 25.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I will not consider playing this game until mods fix all of the ugly characters. It's too distracting knowing that video game developers do this on purpose now.

between pig nosed ginger and whatever this is:
StarWars_Cere.png

I'm not looking at this ugly shit, which could have been easily avoided by the designers, for hours on end when there are so many other options available for my entertainment dollars

you cannot convince me that the above character and pig nose ginger were not a conscious decision to troll the player with ugly faces, and I hate devs who make conscious decisions to troll their consumers

maybe if the gameplay itself was something better than generic I would grit my teeth and bear through the repulsive characters, but from everything I am hearing it's nothing special

Check the last page.

They may have chosen the ugliest people available. But, they used real actors. Pig nosed ginger was joker/proto-joker on the tv series gotham. Which is probably how he got the job.

Real actors or not, they definitely uglified them. Here's a picture of the actor at some awards bash:

D7kockj.jpg

and here's the Respawn version in a similar angle:

h7XYeNd.jpg

It looks like they purposely gave him an underbite and made his brow more pronounced. They'd only have done that to make him look uglier and more gormless. I bet that actor looks at his digital self and thinks 'wtf?!'

Exactly, thank you. I keep hearing retards say "its the real actors durr!" but those abominations look nothing like the real actors. Look how the retard defending this posted the most ridiculous picture possible of the ginger instead of a normal one. What a fucking lame argument, you need to be completely idiotic to buy it. Debra Wilson doesn't look like a fucking alien in real life. She is a big eyed black lady but she doesn't look like a fucking DEMON (in b4 some retard posts some picture of her trying to look weird because she's a comedian instead of a normal picture of her)

debra-wilson-during-wesparkle-night-take-iii-to-benefit-wespark-at-picture-id105311043
vs
eyes.png
In real life she is blonde and has tattoos too.

PrettyDeadman

The most important video on the subject:

Also, daily remainder.
Lord Galen "Starkiller" Malek force pulled an entire stardestroyer-class battleship from planetary orbit.
What did Kyle Katarn do? Shot a bunch of stormtrooper with a blaster rifle? Punched a big frog (or a couple of big frogs on harder difficulties) in a face?
What did Darth Vader do? Kill a bunch of first-graders? LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've just finished the first Rogue squadron, are the two other as good? (before I start faffing around with an emulator)
Yeah, they're both good games, though the third game has some on-foot sections that are pretty terrible.

Thank you. I'll give it a try then.

Gave it a try and it run like dogshit on my old laptop, I had some fun with the first few missions, but I'll stop here.

Regarding that last review, how can you so stupid as to review a VIDEO game with showing barely anything from the game?

Zibniyat

Arcane
There are crates and other stuff everywhere, but you cannot jump/climb on them, and many areas where the player should be able to reach are either closed off with invisible walls or are fake scenery (just a fancier looking invisible painted walls, really). Even though there is lots of climbing, jumping and "ski-descending" in the game; even whilst hanging from fast-moving vehicles, one is able to jump/climb/descend (and still maintain the same relative position to the moving vehicle, sort of improbable due to the speed of it all). But jumping on crates half your size is a big no.

Other than these immersion-shattering nuisances (I'm being deliberately dramatic here...), the game so far feels solid, although since I enjoyed Jedi Knight/Academy series I can never really get used to the awkward and "slow" (supposedly realistic) movement. Cutscenes aren't bad,in fact they are nicely made, and yes - the "black" (more like brown) woman really looks hideous. She might be having buphtalmos though? Even nu-Yoda has gigantic eyes (even for a Yoda-species kid), so is this some new trend we're witnessing here? Whatever, looks aside, so far she isn't terrible or anything in terms other than her looks, but I've just cleared the prologue mission so hard to tell anything yet.

Combat? "Tactical" slow-paced with parrying, counter-attacking/staggering an opponent, and deflecting blaster shots. I dislike it (as a matter of principle), but can't say it is objectively bad. Once I get used to it, I hope, it will become less bothersome. I dislike the fact that my Force "points" are refiled by killing enemies, that makes absolutely no sense in a Star Wars setting.

That's it for now. Clearly I like it enough not to write it off immediately, unlike Dark Souls for instance, so it must have something to do with the fact that it is Star Wars, which I do... enjoy in practice if the game is at least solid.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191126005302/en/

EDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA), Respawn Entertainment and Lucasfilm announced that the critically acclaimed Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order™ is the fastest-selling digital launch for a Star Wars game in its first two weeks. The game is also now EA’s top-selling Star Wars title on PC in its initial launch window.

“Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order demonstrates the amazing potential for original storytelling in Star Wars games”

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is a critical success as well as being the highest rated Star Wars game of this console generation. Business Insider exclaims that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is “the best Star Wars game ever made,” while GameSpot calls it “one of the most compelling game additions to the Star Wars franchise in years.” GQ notes that the game “lives up to the hype,” while IGN says it is, “an all-around amazing game” in their 9.0 out of 10 review.

“On behalf of Respawn and EA, we thank everyone for their support of the studio and the team throughout the development and launch of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Telling a story in the Star Wars galaxy is a dream come true and the reception from the fans has been incredible,” said Vince Zampella, Head of Respawn. “With the launch of the game, the debut of The Mandalorian and the upcoming release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, it’s a great time to be a Star Wars fan!”

"Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order demonstrates the amazing potential for original storytelling in Star Wars games,” said Sean Shoptaw, SVP, Games and Interactive Experiences, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. "The close collaboration between Respawn and Lucasfilm is a perfect example of how we can deliver an experience for fans that is authentic to the stories and worlds they love, while also being an incredibly fun and innovative game. With the fantastic reception and launch so far, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has proven to be the must-play game this Holiday.”

Yay looks like EA is happy with the sales for now, which should mean more singleplayer games in the future.

Sentinel

Arcane
Do we know exactly what Avellone did on this? That female witch character (Mirra? Merrin?) was the best one by a mile but you get her and then the game just ends. I kinda got Avellone/Kreia vibes from her when she asks Cal "But won't all the kids be in danger if you get the holocron?" so I wonder if he wrote her.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
"Fastest-selling digital launch" and "highest rated Star Wars game of this console generation" sound more like participation awards and are setting the bar and expectations pretty low.

Sentinel

Arcane
So how sith shit is this? Asking for a friend.

If Dark Souls-ish combat and Tomb Raider-ish platforming and (rarely) puzzle solving sounds good to you, I can't imagine not enjoying this game. There's a reason 90% of the complaints on this thread are "black lady looks weird" and "fuck EA." Not saying it's some amazing game, but it's very solid and well done for what it's trying to be.
I'd say that Dark Souls' different classes, weapons and armor, stats, variety all played a pretty big fucking role in the game's success. It's like offering a Diablo clone without stats and items; nothing but combat (which makes exploration and looking for chests and secrets pointless). Never played Tomb Raider but since raiding fucking tombs is all I'm doing, the comparison is apt. Compared to Jedi Academy combat is a painfully boring and limited. The Academy had three times as many Force powers, plus you could level them up, this game has Push, Pull, Jump (unless you count wall run which got old a long time ago). Its clear that the focus was on the visuals and 'emotional storytelling', not design.
do people actually like Jedi Academy's combat? It was incredibly floaty.

sullynathan

Arcane
Jedi Academy combat was a weird spam fest. I felt like I was hitting nothing and floating around and even though enemies blocked my attacks, I still killed them, plus there are very very few combos anyway.
Still a cool combat system with a whole lot of powers.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Update: now that I am out of the prologue, and have visited the first real planet/location, my character can jump on most crates/stuff, but not all. So that is an improvement.

Still, it is obvious that there are clearly designated walls/plant vines/perforated metal walls etc. which you can use for climbing or other purposes. I have run into a perforated metal wall which was of different design to the "designated one", and could not use it. Even though, logically, there really ought to not be any difference in their usefulness. Many games are guilty of this, so this is not a particularly strong criticism of the game.

On the plus side, this planet really looks and "feels" beautiful. There are plenty of side-ways, shortcuts etc., the scenery is pretty to look at, and I am getting a hang of the combat system. And I am of course starting to get proficient at abusing the little design errors in environment layout and enemy behaviour to take down bosses, nice. :)

Zibniyat

Arcane
I felt like I was hitting nothing and floating around and even though enemies blocked my attacks, I still killed them, plus there are very very few combos anyway.

Double-bladed lightsaber was overpowered for sure, there was that weird unstoppable combo, especially in single-player. Even dual-wielding was pretty OP, again mostly because of some combo.

That is why, for some real challenge, I have never finished single-player with either of the above mentioned modes.

1. So I only used single lightsaber, 2. and played on the hardest difficulty, and it did require a careful maneuvering to bring down opponents. 3. I also never used "Speed" which "slows down time" since it always felt like cheating. I recommend to everyone to do the same. With these self-imposed "limitations" almost every victory against lightsaber-wielding opponents felt really deserved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom