Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

hakuroshi

Augur
I am unsure is JK story just stupidly Epic or epicly stupid. :) Still it was a fun romp, finished it last weekend.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Just for clarification: are all older kotfe chapters unlocked for everyone when a new chapter is released? I just logged in for because the game threatened to hand me a droid and chapter 12 started by itself (13, being the new one, not)...

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
lol@Revan being mid-game boss for imperial characters. While it's nice that they made levelling combat faster/less tedious, it kinda sucks that most mini-bosses die very quickly - I've lost count of anti-climatic fights with lore-wise powerful characters.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
At least you don't get to see the Exile spirit giving you quest briefing in Republic side. :lol:

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
SO, I can't stand MMOs. I've tried demos of WoW and LoTR long time ago and hated it. I think I also tried a demo of TOR about 5 years ago, but it barely ran on my PC back then.

I decided that I want some space pew pew stuff and am not installing this beauty of the game. What should I know, as a MMO retard?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
TOR is literally WoW with a Star Wars skin so you'll probably end up hating it.

What? If you say it's literally WoW but with horribly worse control feedback, loading screen every second minute, memory leaks to this date and with some PC setups basic things like mounting up causes 2-5 second freeze lag you're probably right. But 1 on 1 comparison, pff pls no.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's shit, the new single player expansion is a failure, the devs are clearly incompetent, underfunded, understaffed, and working with an engine that should never have seen the light of day.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
What? If you say it's literally WoW but with horribly worse control feedback, loading screen every second minute, memory leaks to this date and with some PC setups basic things like mounting up causes 2-5 second freeze lag you're probably right. But 1 on 1 comparison, pff pls no.
I didn't really notice any of that. What I couldn't help but notice were the endless generic "Kill 15 whatevers" MMO quests.

Lhynn

Arcane
Only mmo worth a shit nowadays is the secret world, and as soon as you finish the story content you are done with the game, theres absolutely nothing else to it that is even remotely enjoyable.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
5nurud.jpg

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The expansion started pretty good, but calling those later episodes "fillers" would still be too nice...

After they fixed the bug that let freeloaders play new episodes one months after subbers had them, I lost even the last bit of interest I still had and removed it from inventory. At least I got to see first hand what shitty episodes people were actually paying money for. :hahano:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The expansion started pretty good, but calling those later episodes "fillers" would still be too nice...

After they fixed the bug that let freeloaders play new episodes one months after subbers had them, I lost even the last bit of interest I still had and removed it from inventory. At least I got to see first hand what shitty episodes people were actually paying money for. :hahano:

Yeah, they said that it would be one episode per month, an epic story full of C&C and that it would be like the next KotOR... instead all we got was linear shit corridor gameplay even more railroaded than the base game, with shit quests, shit writing, shit characters and a bunch of in engine cut scenes.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Heh, the only real C&C the whole thing had was loosing the cybernegro forever if you went darkside in a few situations. Woopdidoo. They put more effort in his model than every other combined and nobody cares for him.

The game's pacing was just to slow, trying to stretch it forever with... nothings to keep people paying. When Arcann escaped by the powers of cutscene for the nth time, it was clear they have no intention to have players kill him or his sister as "midbosses" in the near future.
Instead they are going to drag this shit forever with companion recruitment updates, and everyones favorite waifus Mako/Kira/Jaesa coming as late as possible.

I don't pity the suckers letting themselves being milked here, if they are still around they deserve it. :obviously:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They just announced a further delay to the final episode. Apparently there's either a new expansion being announced or an entirely new game.

Deleted member 7219

They just announced a further delay to the final episode. Apparently there's either a new expansion being announced or an entirely new game.

I don't really trust them at all now.

KotFE started with a lot of promise. While it was never going to be KOTOR 3 it did look as if BioWare would deliver a good singleplayer experience in the SWTOR engine.

A lot of the early chapters went some way towards that but it feels like everything since has been the same format. 2 hours of horrible grinding, one nice big choice at the end, and you get a new character to join your party, which is pretty much meaningless in terms of gameplay impact because everyone can do whatever you want them to do (tank, healer or DPS).

I'm still waiting on my Dark Side Sith Warrior waifu from the original game to make a comeback. She was my apprentice so it's weird she's not around... but then, there are 7 other characters just like that in the other class stories they would need to bring back too. I don't know how they're going to do it - they probably won't.

I can't imagine an entirely new game as SWTOR didn't exactly set the world on fire did it?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I don't really trust them at all now.

KotFE started with a lot of promise. While it was never going to be KOTOR 3 it did look as if BioWare would deliver a good singleplayer experience in the SWTOR engine.

A lot of the early chapters went some way towards that but it feels like everything since has been the same format. 2 hours of horrible grinding, one nice big choice at the end, and you get a new character to join your party, which is pretty much meaningless in terms of gameplay impact because everyone can do whatever you want them to do (tank, healer or DPS).

I honestly think it's the same problem GW2 ran into with its living story updates - you wait too long for a brief snippet of new content. GW2 episodes are at least replayable, but fall victim to the same snag in that developers cannot possibly match content produced with what players will consume in that same period of time. That's putting aside the fact that, while I understand why they did it because a lot of players are clearly there for the story, KotFE primarily being singleplayer-oriented already shows Bioware gave up on the idea of proper MMORPG expansion or even support in the long run.

I wonder what Knights of the Eternal Throne will be like and if it will merely continue the current practice.
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20160715

Today, during an EA Star Wars™ “Meet the Makers” panel at Star Wars Celebration in London, James Ohlen, Director of Design for BioWare helped celebrate the game's upcoming 5-year anniversary, revealing a brand new digital expansion coming this fall, Knights of the Eternal Throne. The all new expansion adds more of BioWare's trademark cinematic storytelling, as well as exciting new game features in one of the largest updates the team has made since the game launched 5 years ago in 2011!

KOTETAnnounce_854x480.jpg

They're also giving away a freebie if you can't be bothered to sub to get KotFE.
http://www.swtor.com/fallen-empire/free-trial

Step into an epic story-driven adventure as your character becomes The Outlander, a veteran of the Great Galactic War, in Knights of the Fallen Empire – now live! Travel to the Outer Rim of the galaxy to come face-to-face with a new threat, Emperor Valkorion and his Eternal Empire. Choose your path, recruit Companions into your Alliance, and make choices that have power to change destinies, all at the center of your own personal Star Wars™ saga! Best of all, Subscribers of Star Wars: The Old Republic can access and play all chapters of the evolving Knights of the Fallen Empire story for free. Create your Level 60 character and play today!

PLAY CHAPTER 1 “THE HUNT” FREE*!
Chapter 1 Now Free to all Players – Face Your Destiny.

Deleted member 7219

Interesting, but that last bit of text was about Fallen Empire, not the new one.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Visiting the game's reddit, and the players aren't buying into Bioware bullshit anymore. They are repeating the same buzzwords that preceeded the launch of the previous expansion, while remaining uncommitted about any multi-player bits.

v1rus

Arcane
Are any of those NPC's actually good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom