Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Starcraft 2 goes free to play

Venser

Erudite
Widow mines were nerfed to shit twice already. First time they reduced the damage and then they made them visible after firing, turning them somewhat useless. I don't even bother using them anymore except vs protoss.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Widow mines were nerfed to shit twice already. First time they reduced the damage and then they made them visible after firing, turning them somewhat useless. I don't even bother using them anymore except vs protoss.
You mean they made them more similar to banelings but still better?
And you refuse to use them lol

Venser

Erudite
You have to choose between widow mine and tank production. I prefer tanks.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
W/e I guess my point is that when people who aren't international tournament winners complain about balance, their complaints are pushed to the side and ignored because "get gud n0b loll", even though it's entirely understandable that certain units and strats are super OP unless you have grandmaster game sense and mechanical skill to overcome it.

But then some top 20 grandmaster tournament winner complains about some shit that only effects a super tiny portion of the playerbase and Blizz make sweeping game design changes to address it.

Venser

Erudite
I still wouldn't think widow mine would be a problem in the lower leagues. Instead easy A move units like ultralisk or colossus. Maybe storm, even the pros usually don't deal with that ability well. Only OP terran thing I can think off in lower leagues is mass cyclone allin from 1 base. Even decent diamond zergs have tough time holding it and terran doesn't need to do much micro to win.

Anyway I absolutely hate Blizzards approach to balance. They often completely redesign whole units instead of tweaking their values and the result is every 6 months it seems like a completely different game. Instead of tweaking units stats like HP, cooldown or damage a little to make it more balanced, they change it drastically if not redesign it completely. When mass reaper was getting a little problematic, instead of increasing a cooldown by 1 or 2 sec and make reapers weaker but still usable, they double the cooldown and nerf the grenade damage in half and eliminate this strategy completely. Vikings used to lose to stalkers terribly, maybe make it a bit of a closer fight. Nope, now it's the other way around, vikings rape stalkers. Ideal state would be to come to a point when nothing needs to get tweeked anymore and only maps change while the core of the game stays the same, what happened to Brood War essentially. But Bliizard wants to keep the game fresh and dynamic. Every now and then players figure and get good at some crazy strategy such as mass reaper or mass oracle and instead of celebrating the players creativity they say "we didn't intend this unit to be used in this way, here's a nerf". Imagine you're a guy like Byun who's training all day to get good at this one thing and then they take it away from him, just like that. Even tho nobody else could do the things with reapers that he was doing and even Maru was failing trying to copy it, they redesigned the unit. Same with baneling HP buff after Byun was focus firing Dark's banes in 2016 final. Imagine you put all the hours into arcade training baneling focus fire then somebody just decides to change the way the game is played and fucks up your whole career. It's a player assassination by the developer. Same with Snute who was mainly known as swarmhost player, he was hit hard when they redesigned the unit. Or imagine being guy like Ketroc who exclusively plays mass raven. Blizzard changes the unit and it's suddenly like you're playing a completely new game and the one thing you loved about it is gone.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
My marine control playthrough. It's great mod for improving your micro, splitting and focus fire.

Last edited:

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
When I last played 2v2s in Gold with a lower-rated buddy (also around a year ago), people were not capable of realizing there's a Reaper in their probeline at the start of the game until after his probe kills were in the double digits. It was perplexing to me.

To be honest, it also happened to me in Diamond.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I miss being plat and below.. I was high diamond before taking a break because the game becomes "memorize all the possible build orders for every race and how to react" which gets really tedious compared to lower ranks where you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want and have a chance.

...unless you're dirty protoss of course in which case you just cannon rush to mlg tournament winner

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I miss being plat and below.. I was high diamond before taking a break because the game becomes "memorize all the possible build orders for every race and how to react" which gets really tedious compared to lower ranks where you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want and have a chance.
Just tank your rank or play fun modes like team games where the emphasis on build orders is more lax, I don't really see a point in trying to maintain a high rank to remain competitive if remaining competitive isn't something you're interested in. :)

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
^ Yeah I can tank my rank but I absolutely wreck anyone below diamond no matter what at this point so it's not so much fun.. Like I could kill them with spine crawlers or some stupid shit

Just annoyed at hitting this wall because at upper diamond people have their build orders pretty damn tight and you need to know exactly what's happening to prevent getting wiped by one of the 500 3-5 minute timing attacks. It's not a big deal, every game gets like this at some point but that's where the game starts to become more of a grind imo..

..unless you're dirty protoss in which case u just cannon rush

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Just annoyed at hitting this wall because at upper diamond people have their build orders pretty damn tight and you need to know exactly what's happening to prevent getting wiped by one of the 500 3-5 minute timing attacks. It's not a big deal, every game gets like this at some point but that's where the game starts to become more of a grind imo..
Yeah, I get you. In this case, maybe you can just move on. I still think 2v2 / 3v3 are less grindy and more lax about build orders, and that's why I enjoy them for some "social" Starcrafting, but they also have their own problems (extreme aggro 2v1 timings or, adversely, massive turtlefests, particularly against mech Terran teams). I still get quite a thrill from improvement, but it's really okay to stop once you figure you've reached what you wanted. It's all just for fun.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Blog Entry 3/20/2019:

I've decided to come back after a long break! This time, I will be learning all races and laddering as random. Hopefully this will help me with understanding theory and shit, as I remember my main problem that got me stuck in diamond was scouting as zerg and not knowing wtf any of my opponents were building half the time.

In the past I was using a modified standard hotkey setup but I'm actually switching to grid for all races for consistency. Re-learning muscle memory is gonna be a mega pain in the ass ughhhh

Will update when I hit top 3 grandmaster

Venser

Erudite
Blog entry:

I played terrran for like 3 years and made it to masters. I was practicing builds to execute them perfectly, I was doing mineral stacking to gain the smallest advantage, little things like shift clicking return cargo on the scv that's about to make CC so it saves 1 mineral trip, learned scouting patterns, army positioning... Before every ladder session I was training marine splitting and focus fire in arcade, multitasking trainer, I watched pro player streams every day, asked pros for little tricks that can help you, I have a notebook full of builds...
Then I decided to try to play Protoss just for fun. I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't know any build orders, didn't try to learn any tricks and don't bother with making stuff efficient, I play toss to relax. In a few weeks I exceeded my terran rank and I have far better winrate with protoss even tho I'm just doing random shit. GG Blizzard, nice balance.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Then I decided to try to play Protoss just for fun. I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't know any build orders, didn't try to learn any tricks and don't bother with making stuff efficient, I play toss to relax. In a few weeks I exceeded my terran rank and I have far better winrate with protoss even tho I'm just doing random shit. GG Blizzard, nice balance.

I think I remember there being a top tournament winning protoss player who literally just cannon rushes every game and wins. I mean I know everybody at the top is very mechanically skilled but compared with the other races protoss just has an insane amount of bullshit that's really easy to play yet terribly hard to counter

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Havent played this game since like 2011.....Liked it but got bored.

Do people still play sc2 online? or is it a wasteland now

I like all races now. But Terran was definitely hardest to learn. This game just gets better the more I play it.

Blog Entry 3/20/2019:

I've decided to come back after a long break!

Wanna party up? I'm playing pretty regularly (and badly). On both EU and US servers.

I think I remember there being a top tournament winning protoss player who literally just cannon rushes every game and wins. I mean I know everybody at the top is very mechanically skilled but compared with the other races protoss just has an insane amount of bullshit that's really easy to play yet terribly hard to counter

Yeah well, Zergs seem to be winning most of the tournaments now. And it's still my highest ranked race, not that I'm high ranked with any of them, just a filthy casual.

Venser

Erudite
They're abandoning SC2. Only some needed balance patches but no more new content including Warchest. Fuck Activision.

2G4VZH5TIWJF1602720144046.jpg

To the StarCraft community,

StarCraft is one of a kind, and we’re committed to making sure that those of you who love this universe like we do have a home here for many years to come. With that in mind, we want to let you know about a development change we’re making for StarCraft II as we continue supporting it for the long-term.

As many of you know, Blizzard continues updating its games long after the initial release—some of you will remember that we were actively patching the original StarCraft more than 10 years after it first hit store shelves. This year we celebrated 10 years of StarCraft II with one of our largest-ever patches, with massive updates to the editor, Prestige Talents for Co-op Commanders, and gameplay improvements delivered to players worldwide.

We’re going to continue supporting StarCraft II in the same manner as we have with our previous longstanding games, such as Brood War, focusing primarily on what our core and competitive communities care about most. What this means is that we’re not going to be producing additional for-purchase content, such as Commanders and War Chests, but we will continue doing season rolls and necessary balance fixes moving forward. On that last note, we’re not planning a Q4 balance update given that we did one a few months ago, but as always, we do plan to continue doing them as needed in the future. StarCraft II esports, which is part of the highest echelon of professional competitive gaming, will also continue going strong as it has been through our partners ESL Gaming and GSL.

We know some of our players have been looking forward to some of the things we’re moving away from, but the good news is this change will free us up to think about what’s next, not just with regard to StarCraft II, but for the StarCraft universe as a whole.

StarCraft is core to Blizzard, and we’ve learned that it’s a game that can change the lives of people who devote themselves to it, whether as a player, content creator, streamer, or member of the community (or developer). The outcome of each match is in your hands 100%. To become better, you have to look inward, be honest about any flaws, and dedicate yourself to improving. StarCraft teaches us that that process of improvement can be a reward in itself, and it’s certainly taught us a lot at Blizzard over the years.

You are one of the most passionate, creative, and dedicated communities in all of gaming. We’re eternally grateful for your ongoing support, and we’ll keep you updated on any and all plans we have for future voyages into the Koprulu Sector.

Uhn dara ma'nakai,

Rob Bridenbecker

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/starcraft2/23544726/starcraft-ii-update-october-15-2020

Balance patches and season rolls are the only thing that's needed. I wasn't even aware people still expected new content. Warchest? Isn't that some shitty skin packs? Doesn't seem like this will impact my enjoyment of ladder experience at all. There seems to be fuckload of user made content, arcades, custom campaigns and whatnot, for people who care about that sort of thing. I just like doing some occasional ladder.

Man, I wish I knew what is it about Terrans in this game that makes them such butthurt bitches. The amount of these fags I've met that end up in completely unwinnable position and yet still have to drag the games out is just amusing. Like this game I just had, Terran loses all bases except main, then turtles up in it with liberators, tanks and mines. I was playing Protoss and I prefer to stick to ground units with this race unless I'm forced to go air so I decided I'll just take every single base on the map instead, with tons of cannons and Skill Batteries everywhere. Dude was still trying to do drops and when I got bored and just brute forced through his base he fucking floats his command center to the corner while trash talking me how I'm playing retard A-move race. Then I decided I'll just go eat and let him wait if he's so inclined. I come back 15 minutes later and the game is still going, finally I sent a void ray across the edges of the map to hunt down his CC and he lands it and actually drops mules to try and repair it, which means he was probably paying attention entire time. This kind of super dedicated butthurt I'm only encountering with Terrans for some reason. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom