Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Stardock CEO thinks Civilization VI will be released in 2016

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
SoD complains are triggering me every fuckin time,it's like "No denying in LoL made for better game,coz I'm fuckin casual" argument.
What do you consider more casual in this metaphor, SoD or actual units with placement importance etc? I honestly don't get it, not trying to be edgy

Carpet of Doom issue single handedly eliminated AI as a competitive opponent. You can easily murder untold millions of AI troops with a few of yours and a choke point. You dont consider this huge player advantage as casualization of the game?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SoD complains are triggering me every fuckin time,it's like "No denying in LoL made for better game,coz I'm fuckin casual" argument.
What do you consider more casual in this metaphor, SoD or actual units with placement importance etc? I honestly don't get it, not trying to be edgy

Carpet of Doom issue single handedly eliminated AI as a competitive opponent. You can easily murder untold millions of AI troops with a few of yours and a choke point. You dont consider this huge player advantage as casualization of the game?
Never thought of it that way to be honest. I always found combat in Civs to be completely underdeveloped and found the change refreshing and interesting. It's probably true through that the AI can't handle it as well as it did with stacks..

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Never thought of it that way to be honest. I always found combat in Civs to be completely underdeveloped and found the change refreshing and interesting. It's probably true through that the AI can't handle it as well as it did with stacks..

AI can kill your infantry with samurai in Civ4 if there are enough of them (and if you played high difficulty levels that MANIAC Tokugawa had a lot of them), in Civ5 all challenge is gone from combat.

So yeah, I hate SoD issue, but its easy enough system for AI to use.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
SoD could be fixed in no time, as we saw in Alpha Centaury, but Firaxis simply does not have an intellectual capability to grasp something beyond their primitive understanding of such mechanics and thus can only operate in 1UPT OR infinite unit stacking.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
SoD needs huge economy to back it up,most of the time on small maps/not above prince difficulty you will rearly see anything more than 20unit for entire civs.So what we are talking about is bigger maps/diff where you need to get your economy/research going ,invest in some maintenance civics,maybe some early war wonder and dedicated cities for units.You need to focus on military and start conquering or if you want only to defense against exp/aggressive leaders I use ratio of 1 military unit for every 2 or 3 pop.
My point is that SoD is very map size/diff dependent and hard to pull effectively without careful planning(strategy lol),make sense on gameplay(tactical vs. strategical) and abstract/historical level.People need to stop picking huge map,build 10 cities with 1 archer in each and cry when AI come with 30 units early mid game and quit.Not to mention that with quick/no animation combat stack battles are 10x faster than the micro and pathfinding hell in V.

Zeriel

Arcane
This close to release, they'd be hyping the shit out of it, since that's what sells modern games. So I doubt it. If it was in the works, 2H2017 would be more plausible. 1H2017 at the earliest.

It's been in the works for many years. Firaxis doesn't generally talk about their games until they're almost ready. Until the delay, XCOM 2 was going to release a few months after being announced.

Maybe Bethesda-style "complete radio silence until six months before release" is the new normal.

They're almost certainly just waiting for XCOM 2 to blow over. They are in the same genre, after all. It would be pretty stupid to try and hype up 2 strategy games they themselves made at the same time, especially with the extremely long dev cycle Civ has. They only have one chance to get their PR right.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
I'm wondering how much worse they can make CIv 6 compared to Civ 5. It will be quite an spectacle to watch.

flyingjohn

Arcane
civ V is cool fuck the h8ers
9_ef_1153.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Intel Games Evangelist also mentions Civ 6 as a 2016 release: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...et_Forecasted_to_Reach_100_Billion_by2019.php

"I'm very optimistic that 2016 will be the year that PC gaming finally breaks the $30 billion milestone in software revenues," said Ployhar. "Not only was there a bumper crop of new PC game releases such as Fallout 4, Grand Theft Auto V, & Metal Gear Solid V performing really well on PC for 2015, but this year another incredible lineup of games is on deck with World of Warcraft Legion, Civilization VI, Doom 4, and Dishonored 2. Strong release schedules like this also tend to bode well for vendors on the hardware side of the business, too."

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
I wonder how much worse and simple these hacks can make Civilization. It will be a world wonder to watch.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Probably an elegant and streamlined system like this:

2000px-Tic-tac-toe-game-tree.svg.png

Notice how the emphasis on initial plot placement basically makes each single game you play different.

Mozg

Arcane
I think you could make mostly 1UPT work by making it so you can pay a bunch of gold to stack some units together for a turn. A human would almost never do it except in rare edge cases, but it would let a high difficulty AI with massive economic advantages do something a player can't trivially bend over a barrel instead of putting a gun in its mouth when its blob of units comes upon a chokepoint or has to deal with massed ranged units.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Lol. I recently bought civ5 on sale to see what the talk is all about. I can't understand the thought process of the designers. This game (+dlc) is such a piece of shit. From the totally retarded global happiness, civlization trait research called virtues (lol, how does that even begin to makes sense), the godawful 1upt (if you do that in civ, do it call to power style), a horrendous pop-art gfx style and dont get me started on the horrible unoptimized engine. Oh I forgot those city states. WTF - how does this make sense in any way. Wait there's more, they actively punish you for expanding.
:x

PS: forgot a braindead AI

Thal

Augur
they actively punish you for expanding.
Civ IV did it too. By increasing the maintain cost as you expand. Its not a bad idea at all. No more city spamming.

Prolly because how CivIII early game was pretty much non-stop expansion until all the land is filled. It got silly at certain points.

My memory is big hazy but from what I recall the cities had to be build a certain number of tiles away from your Capital to minimize corruption. So you always ended up have a realm that consisted of 3 circles of cities or something. Every single time. Terrain meant jack shit.

You also you had to specialize a city building settlers and another one to do workers, before you could do anything else.

What a shit gameplay. Civ 5 gets a lot of flack but even the vanilla version is ahead of that borefest.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
CiVs problem is simple. The game is way too aggressive. It's a war game. Instead of being a game where you could aimlessly wander, as its predecessors were, everything is about gaining wins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom