Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Everyone slowly fell in love with it and Emil was excited to explore something completely new for the first time.

Even if this ever comes out, everyone knows it'll basically be Fallout in space. It's not like this is a mind-blowing concept.

Man, that sounds awesome.

Oh wait...

Everyone slowly fell in love with it and Emil was excited to explore something completely new for the first time.

Even if this ever comes out, everyone knows it'll basically be Fallout 3 in space. It's not like this is a mind-blowing concept.

:negative:
Mothership Zeta.

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/search/?f_C=10592686&locationId=OTHERS.worldwide
54 new job openings all over North America in all of their studios locations (Rockville, Austin, Dallas, Montreal). The bulk of them (Producer, Gameplay programmer, Quest Designer, Build Manager, several tools programmers, concept artists, and just general software engineers) do point towards a new team being assembled to produce an upcoming project.

"Pushing the Bleeding Edge of RPG Development" :shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Alleged leaked footage:

Looks pretty shite if you ask me.

sure it ain't one of the other space gamez? citizen, nms, ftl, whatevs?

Indeed.

This just looks like another damn FMS, or SC, or Elite.

My only reason to liking this game was that it seemed to be more 'hard scifi'. And guess what 'hard scifi' entails? Not big cockpits with big windows. Like, if you want your big space vistas...guess what...we have things called monitors, screens, cameras, wiring, electricity? Shove that into the hull. OG LOGH did that right.

Bethesda always manages to disappoint.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You expected anything besides basically making you the Hero of Kvatch seeing through the eyes of your "ship"?

Nigga, please.

Yosharian

Arcane
Dear god that looks primitive. I hope that isn't reflective of where they are with the game. Beth really have dropped the fucking ball.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Outer Worlds 2: Find your wife's boyfriend's son.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Technomancer

Liturgist
The only thing that gives me hope is that this game will probably be extremely moddable. Can't wait to see what creative and inspired minds could do in a completely new setting but with all the experience of modding Gamebryo/Creative Engine.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The only thing that gives me hope is that this game will probably be extremely moddable. Can't wait to see what creative and inspired minds could do in a completely new setting but with all the experience of modding Gamebryo/Creative Engine.

You're assuming it's not taking forever because they're finally changing engines for realsies.

Technomancer

Liturgist

You're assuming it's not taking forever because they're finally changing engines for realsies.
Could be cool of course but this is Bethesda. At this point, I feel like they are just going bash their obsolete engine forever.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Could be cool of course but this is Bethesda. At this point, I feel like they are just going bash their obsolete engine forever.
They really don't need to change the engine though.
Maybe not change but rebuild it from the ground? There are some nasty in-engine bugs that Bethesda never managed to fix, one just can't help but to wonder if they simply don't care or it is not possible to fix because of engine age and obsolete technology. I'm speaking about stuff like animation speed being tied to frame rate and 60 being the cap. Clearly it is stemming from the time when someone thought "we will never need higher framerate than 60".

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah, maybe not change but rebuild it from the ground? There are some nasty in-engine bugs that Bethesda never managed to fix, one just can't help but to wonder if they simply don't care or it is not possible to fix because of engine age and obsolete technology. I'm speaking about stuff like animation speed being tied to frame rate and 60 being the cap. Clearly it is stemming from the time when someone thought "we will never need higher framerate than 60".
I like their engine,tho i do agree that it needs some updating and bug fixing. But it is one of the few engines that allow such massive freedom to the player. Most bugs you meet in the game you could just fix them yourself by the console. Also you could tweak your gaming experience the way you want to,like disabling all those dragon and vampire attacks that could wipe a whole town and all the quest givers :).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You must be joking

Given the choice between a new engine and the expansive ecosystem the current engine provides for modders, I'd have to say GameBryo 4evah.

Let's not kid ourselves. This is just a workshop for the player community.

Drowed

Arcane
I like their engine,tho i do agree that it needs some updating and bug fixing. But it is one of the few engines that allow such massive freedom to the player.

I mean, most current engines support essentially everything Gamebryo does, but better, with fewer bugs and better performance.

Unreal Engine? The Outer Worlds has essentially the same gameplay as Fallout 3/4/ETC, with nothing missing. The worlds in the game are smaller, true, but this is a limitation of the game, not the engine. There are several open world games created on it. Unity is a bit of a mess, but certainly no worse than Bethesda's. There are also several games with a gameplay that's very similar to the TES series, with open world, interactive scenarios; like Rust, Outer Wilds and Subnautica. Cryengine is a bit harder to work with, but it also has a good list of open world first-person games, and is infinitely more stable than Gamebryo.

There is almost nothing that Bethesda's engine does that other engines don't do better, more efficiently and with greater stability. The whole point is that they would need to carry all the code and all the mechanics essentially from scratch to the new engine, which would be a huge job. But it wouldn't be more work than trying to make their engine even remotely functional, I bet. But no, the fact that they don't do this (besides the obvious reason of not wanting to depend on an external engine) is the structure that already exists that makes Gamebryo super modder-friendly. Bethesda isn't (that) dumb, they know that, by far, one of the factors that most influence the longevity of their games is how easy the internet can produce mods in a matter of days. In a year, the game already becomes something completely different from the original release.

Other engines were not built or adapted from the start to be so modular. That way, they would have to either invest a ton of time to try to make the engine more accessible and easier to create mods (which is an extra job and can still make the engine more unstable in the end), or they would have to abandon the idea of having games that are simple to create mods to, and since they've already cultivated a gigantic community used to creating content for their games, that would be suicide. So no, Bethesda won't change engines anytime soon. If ever. And in fact, they're to some extent "stuck" with some of the engine's problems because they're trying to keep it accessible and "basically the same" in everything that concerns the mod creation process. Which obviously doesn't justify that they still have stupid bugs from the Oblivion era that haven't been fixed yet, even though they've been fixed by the community in basically every new game they release.

It seems they're not even trying.

Yosharian

Arcane
You must be joking

Given the choice between a new engine and the expansive ecosystem the current engine provides for modders, I'd have to say GameBryo 4evah.

Let's not kid ourselves. This is just a workshop for the player community.
That's a fair point I suppose, but it's a damning indictment on Bethesda that we're happier with a shitty franken-engine because we can mod it more easily.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom