Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

Jinn

Arcane
Have they added much content in terms of a plot? Last time I played there was a small plot-thread/mystery regarding some planet that housed advanced technology or something. It's been a while.

I want a galaxy full of little artifacts and mysteries, and maybe some big, spooky opponent that will try to sweep the map at some point.

As far as I recall, there is supposed to be a main plotline/questline in the "final" version of the game. This is what I'm waiting for, but I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait.

Last edited:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Nothing yet. And as far as I know only one mod adds a small story quest.
---------

Colonies suck by the way. There's nothing interesting about managing them besides surveying for nice planets, they're a pain in the ass to protect with constant raids that only increase in intensity and the reward for all that is trivializing the economy even further and letting you build some stuff, which by this point you don't need. Usually when I reach the point I have fully established colonies I lose all interest in the game. I would make it so that you can use the production system before you have colonies maybe by commissioning production at any friendly planet with a heavy industry for a fee. That would be a real incentive to find and use blueprints. And as for economics I would allow you to build industries in any planet like in mount and blade.

Even without the colonies the game becomes too easy too fast for my taste. Bounties just dump buckets of money on you and good ships are easy to buy and maintenance is relatively trivial. Pretty soon you can easily beat any bounty (except some mod faction bounties which can be way harder than vanilla - like DME or Shadowyards with their crazy fighters) and then what? Once I tried to conquer the sector but it's pointless - the AI can't offer any meaningful resistance. Scrounging up an armada of doom to go sack your colony is super easy, barely an inconvenience, but defending your capital world properly is beyond them apparently. Would be much better is it was more mount and blade like where sieges take time and admirals have persistent large fleets flying around that would converge on your ass if tried attacking a core world.

Beyond that it seems the official forum dweller's favorite pastime is trying to min-max the most efficient fleet to hunt as many Remenant ordos at once as possible.

Norfleet

Some screenshots from game play:

w6H2gwx.jpg

Corvette Hawk Commissar-Captain Draco flied earlier.

v3EAkyt.jpg

The Scourge Frigate a true rust bucket Space Truck!
Sir? I don't think this is the same game as the rest of the thread. What game is this?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

w6H2gwx.jpg

v3EAkyt.jpg

Sir? I don't think this is the same game as the rest of the thread. What game is this?

Star Valor Comrade:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/833360/Star_Valor/

How much exploration/how many "space mysteries" does it offer? If I'm going to play a space game, I expect interesting discoveries. Not just barren rocky planets after barren rocky planets

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

w6H2gwx.jpg

v3EAkyt.jpg

Star Valor Comrade:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/833360/Star_Valor/

How much exploration/how many "space mysteries" does it offer? If I'm going to play a space game, I expect interesting discoveries. Not just barren rocky planets after barren rocky planets

A lot comrade but game was not updated since November so its either dead or we wil have the update with more faction play, lore and campaign soon.

Norfleet

You should make a separate thread about it in the SPACE section this time. Also, someone should move this into the SPACE section.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.indiegraze.com/2020/01/15/interview-starsectors-alexander-mosolov/

Interview: Starsector’s Alexander Mosolov
on January 15, 2020

An open world single player space combat game, Starsector blends tactical 2D battles with trade, exploration, and fleet customization; as a project with a lot going on under the hood, I chatted with dev Alexander Mosolov of Fractal Softworks regarding the variety of player experiences in his work and the design goals driving the title.

Erik Meyer: Starsector gives players a lot of choice regarding roles – hot-shot pilot, a smuggler, a stern admiral, an industrial magnate – in addition to different ships and overall play styles, so as you’ve added options and elements to the game, have you felt a need to keep things balanced, or do you focus more on options that would be interesting for different archetypes?

Alexander Mosolov: One of the things about it being a single-player game is that balance – while definitely still important – doesn’t have to walk the same razor’s edge as it does for a multiplayer game. The different available options should all be appealing and viable, but they don’t need to be precisely balanced. How could you even balance something that, say, takes more player time vs something that’s more dangerous vs something that takes more in-game time? Generally speaking, if something is riskier or more difficult in some way, it should be more rewarding, but I don’t think it’s possible to quantify it precisely. And, thankfully, it doesn’t need to be.

starsector_4.png

EM: In the history of the game, humanity has been fractured, scattered about the universe following the events of the great Collapse, a cataclysm that destroys the formerly stable space-faring society. With regard to in-game storytelling, how do you see past revelations and present calamities coming across best, given the play style of your game? What tools and mechanics (dialog, lore, ancient transmissions) do you employ as you reveal the larger forces at work?

AM: Right now, most of the story in the game is backstory – the player encounters it in the various colony (and other) descriptions, bits of dialog at the portside bar, and so on. There are also a couple of missions, and that’s the aspect that’s going to get built out more for the next release.

EM: One critique of the ships in Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica involves the ships coming across as boats in space, from a design standpoint. Bear in mind, I like boats in space, but from a function/technology/mobility standpoint, what have you seen as important in styles of spacecraft, especially with varied styles of play in mind?

AM: Oh, it’s definitely boats in space! “World War II ships in space” was an explicit starting point for the design. I’m not familiar with any critique of Star Wars or BSG on those grounds, so I can’t really speak to that. As far as having a variety of styles, though, there’s quite a bit, especially depending on how far one wants to dig down.

First of all, smaller ships are a lot faster, while larger ships can be pretty ponderous. What this means is that for small ships, a lot of piloting skill is second-to-second – dodge incoming fire, get around an enemy’s shield arc to get a shot at the engines, and so on. It has a more arcade-like feel. For larger ships, it’s a matter of planning much further in advance – what will what you do now mean for your tactical position 10 or 20 seconds later? Large ships have a much harder time getting out of trouble, so a mistake can be really costly.

Additionally, you have higher-tech ships, which generally focus on mobility and shields to keep them out of trouble. Lower-tech ships also have shields but must rely on armor to supplement them, so a lot of the gameplay decisions revolve around when to take hits on armor. Armor is a limited resource and is only repaired between battles, but using it wisely can tip the fight in your favor.

You’ve also got phase ships – very loosely inspired by submarines – that are primarily about uncloaking at the right moment, doing a lot of damage, and getting out. They don’t have shields and are potentially very vulnerable, and often work well in supporting other ships that keep the enemy’s attention. They also have a time acceleration mechanic – time passes more quickly for them while they’re cloaked, making them faster relative to uncloaked ships – so there’s a lot you can do with that, for example tactically re-cloaking to reload weapons more quickly.

There are also carriers, where the focus is on combining different types of fighters effectively – and, for combat carriers, also combining them with the armaments of the carrier itself.

Another playstyle-defining option is the Safety Overrides hullmod. It makes a ship a lot faster and more powerful, but also severely limits both its weapon range and the time this ship can spend on the battlefield and still be effective. A ship with this hullmod needs to go for a high-risk, high-reward style – closing in on enemies and finishing them off quickly in the limited time it has, but also exposing itself to greater risk.

There are of course many other, smaller considerations – the specifics of individual ships, their systems (roughly, “special abilities”), types of weapons, ship loadouts that emphasize strengths or shore up weaknesses, and so on. For example, ships with the “Burn Drive” system can close on the enemy quickly, but it doesn’t help them disengage at all. Having this option available is a huge factor in how a specific ship plays, and it can combine with all the other considerations in various ways.
starsector_3.png

EM: Freedom of play includes options like strengthening supply line security and helping encourage trade or weakening said supply lines to make piracy easier; given the use of procedural generation within the game, what kinds of influences and effects do these actions at specific locations have on the overall game universe? If I start looting every ship that passes through a given star system, will colonists/traders begin avoiding that route? Will my reputation as a scourge in one area influence interactions elsewhere?

AM: The game will respond to this, yeah – patrols will get stronger, while the colonies in that system will suffer from reduced accessibility, which will in turn cause other problems like shortages. The latter can also then be exploited for your profit, but can ultimately cause the colonies to become decivilized.

EM: Starsector has enjoyed a long development cycle and gone through a number of permutations (on the website, posts go back to November of 2010); with so many games being cranked out and tossed into the online game space these days, how do you see your work benefiting from the time you’ve invested in it? What mechanics and additions have come from the benefit of not being rushed?

AM: I think – perhaps obviously – more time gives you more of an opportunity to tune things until they feel right. One older example of this is the collision mechanics in combat. When one ship collides with another, the feel of that is, I think, extremely important in establishing how the player perceives the ships, making them feel like they have real weight. Fine-tuning that took a long time, and the result is something I’m happy with and that I think means a lot to the game – probably more than one might assume at first glance.

Plus, of course, the scope of the game is pretty large, so a key benefit of investing the time is being able to do it at all! I feel rushed pretty often (there’s just so much to do!); I just try not to let that interfere with how I approach the work. But to ship anything, concessions have to be made somewhere now and again.

starsector_2.png

EM: All games have to strike a balance between tasks asked of players, so can you give a breakdown regarding ship management, locations (like planets or space station) management, NPCs, equipment, battle, etc? Optimally, what do people spend most of their time doing, and how does this change throughout the game experience?

AM: Overall, the goal is to steer the player towards combat – the things you do outside combat give it context and consequences (which makes it feel meaningful), but then also steer you into combat, so it’s a cycle. For example, when you establish a colony, you’ll likely have to fight to keep it safe. When you accept a delivery contract, it’ll likely point you to an area where there’s pirate activity. And so on.

But for a lot of things, it’s up to the player. For example, you can spend a lot of time outfitting ships, perfecting your loadouts and running multiple simulations to test them. Or you can use the “autofit” feature to create something that, while not optimal, will certainly do the job. Colonies in particular don’t require a lot of management – you make high-level decisions (which industries and structures to build, or where to even build the colony in the first place) but you don’t need to worry about their execution planetside.

EM: You’re including mod support as a visible part of your work, and I’m interested in your view of user-created content. Some games in recent history, like Shadowrun Returns, spawned a huge level of interest from an enthusiastic community using the level editor tools, and other games have been fairly closed to such endeavors. How do you see games like yours benefiting from mods, and when does a project transition from being a game to being a story creation tool?

AM: Mod support was important to me from the beginning – it’s something I really enjoyed as a player (especially for the TES games), so it was and is a priority. I think it’s hugely beneficial, too – the time between updates can get a bit long, and mods help fill in the gaps. Plus, I don’t think the community around the game would be anywhere near what it is if it wasn’t for the amazing efforts of modders.

It’s kind of like… if you look at Minecraft, why is it popular? Pretty much because it lets people be creative, and of course people want to talk about and share their creations, and it keeps the game going. Of course the bar is higher for modding, but I think there’s the same kind of effect. I’m just thankful that some tremendously talented people have decided to use Starsector to express their creativity.

The game is still the game first and story creation tool second, but when one gets into the right mindset, it’s possible to build a lot of flexibility into the game engine… not for free, exactly, but without a huge amount of effort. I think I’ve gotten better about it over the years – some of the things that are tougher to mod involve older code, while the newer stuff is much more flexible out of the gate.

starsector_1.png

EM: The game is currently available for preorder, with alpha versions available; given the current status of the project, what kinds of requests have you been getting from players and fans? Do people simply clamor for more content, or are people digging into lore, focused on mechanics, rare bugs, etc?

AM: It’s a mix of everything, but the most common one is for more story content, missions, and so on. Which makes sense, since that’s the least-developed part of the game right now! But now most of the groundwork has been laid, and work on precisely that is in progress right now. I’m excited about finally moving forward on the story elements, as it’s something I’ve literally been looking forward to for many years.

cw8

Cipher
Starsector actually gets carrier fights correctly, even in big engagements. Carriers stay at the back while the fighters engage and the bombers go on their bombing run. Very satisfying to play carriers and it's glorious.
Vanilla X3 had wasted potentially glorious carrier fights. If only they got their carrier fighter AI to work properly without them colliding all the time, not sure if there are mods which fixed that. And carriers and their fighters complement in X3 can easily cost hundred of millions.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, it has the mechanics of how carriers and fighters work nailed down. The AI for controlling them, OTOH, is occasionally incredibly suicidal for some reason, so they need some babysitting. Should be easily fixable though.

cw8

Cipher
Still waiting to get my Astral blueprint. Can't wait to use them. I only have Legion so far, a very good capital but I find myself flying cruisers more due to how sluggish it is.

Offtopic: looks like the mods fixed X3's AI, magnificent carnage (can't really blame them since 3D is much harder to program than 2D):

Doma

Augur
How I did not hear about Starsector until a few weeks ago is a mystery to me.
MAN I am hooked! Been playing it non-stop since I got it.

Really scratching that my Space Rangers 2 itch.

Next step is to try all the mods at once. :D

cw8

Cipher
It's much better than Space Rangers 2, well at least the combat is. Starsector has the best space combat in any 2D space game.

Doma

Augur
It's much better than Space Rangers 2, well at least the combat is. Starsector has the best space combat in any 2D space game.
I am a huge fan of SR2, but combat is one aspect where starsector is better. No doubt.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Combat is the main thing I didn't like about Starsector. I wanted more depth. I loved SR2s semi turn based combat.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Combat is the main thing I didn't like about Starsector. I wanted more depth. I loved SR2s semi turn based combat.
What? There's plenty of depth. Flux management, vent timing, armor mechanics, shield flickering, missile usage, combat readiness etc.. Then there's the whole art of ship outfitting and fleet composition. Weapons with varying ranges, accuracy, flux efficiency, point defense, damage types etc. You can spend hours just tweaking out ships and testing them in the simulator. In fact there's so much depth in the fleet building part alone that the community regularly holds tournaments around just that, with the AI flying the ships. And every time there are some new and interesting builds.

Did you even play past the early game?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Nope. I didn't give it very long, I wanted to control 1 ship and get uber with it, didn't like the idea of having a bunch of different guys and winning on numbers.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
That's more of an advanced challenge, the game is built for fleet actions. And you very rarely will outnumber the enemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom