Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

PapaPetro

Starsector (formerly “Starfarer”) is an in-development open-world single-player space-combat, roleplaying, exploration, and economic game. You take the role of a space captain seeking fortune and glory however you choose.

Tactical Combat
ThhUTu9.gif

Character Screen
n9HoBKM.jpg

Galaxy Map
ItcAd4h.jpg

System Map
IB4GBlh.jpg

Trade
iPCF44R.jpg

Build & Customize Fleets
0YEUHgK.jpg

Colonize
JuicBJ3.jpg

My go to sandbox Space sim. Absolutely love this game and every update that the dev puts out adds loads of content, depth, and balance. The mod scene is insane: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

Check it out. Highly recommend.

Here's the streamer that got me hooked.

thesecret1

Arcane
I played it a couple months ago. It was quite fun, but felt as though there wasn't that much to do after you got a good ship and colonized a couple planets.

PapaPetro

Yeah the end-game still sandbox and is a WIP. Mods help out though, especially Nexerelin when you get into late-game faction stuff.
The replayability is great though since there's random galaxy seeding and you can make different builds to focus on different playstyles: exploring, salvaging, trading/smuggling, bounty hunting, etc.

Pirate playthroughs are pretty fun once you know what you're doing.

PapaPetro

This guy's got a pretty good short summary of the game for those who are interested:

Norfleet

Yeah, you can see them shooting each other with no real effect and then this green thing suddenly yeets into the scene and BAM, dead. Who even needs guns?

Black

Arcane
I need some cargo ships to efficiently survey big boi planets, how can I buy

nvm fixd it

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The WASD controls are absolutely fucking awful and immediately turn me off playing this.

Black Angel

Arcane
The WASD controls are absolutely fucking awful and immediately turn me off playing this.
Perhaps there are mods to take care of this problems?

I personally don't mind the controls, would probably brute force to get experience, but if there's QoL-tier mods, that'd be great.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm not sure how else you'd think you can control throttle and strafing without wasd or something equivalent? The controls are great.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I would say the speed mod is a bit of a no brainer; it'll probably get folded into the main game at some point. Otherwise yeah, the base game has more than enough content to baffle a new player, no need to add a bunch of extra factions or odd mechanics. I will say they are definitely worth checking out once you're used to the game though, there are some VERY cool modded factions and they're mostly pretty balanced, aside from maybe the peacenik tentacle monsters being a bit OP for their logistics.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I would at least get the version checker mod, as it warns you when there's an update for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom