Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Started playing Witcher 3... obviously I now need 200 mods to make it less popamole, more RPG.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll take some screenshots of my own setup today and post them.

I spent like two hours making a custom controller layout for Witcher 3. This ini file will make:

RightBumper/R1 = Sprint
RightThumbstickButton = Quick Item Use

And the real showstopper, I went and looked at some of the scripts made for "Instant Sign Casting" and I managed to make a layout that doesn't need a 3rd-party mapping program by abusing the D-Pad's holding functions (which they coded in a patch):

If you press once:

Left D-Pad=Quen
Up=Igni
Right=Telekinesis one
Down=Trap one
LeftThumbButton=Mind Control one

If you keep D-Pad held down:

Up (held down) = Consume whatever is in there
Down (held down) = consume food/potion
Left (held) = Steel Swd
Right (held) = Silver Swd
So how do alternate signs work? Considering that in vanilla holding the block button+dpad left/right lets you switch between signs already without going into the bullet time menu I would've gone with hold block+button press = instant sign cast, hold block+hold button= alternate sign so it wouldn't even require remapping anything else, if I felt there was something wrong with vanilla layout.

My only qualms with the controls were already fixed by immersivecam's alternate geralt controls re-envisioned and alternate horse controls as well as block whenever you want.

Don't mess with all of those graphic mods, the base game is fine and has good natural looking lightning.

Few games benefit from that crap in my opinion.
Autists can't help themselves.

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I don't think anyone here makes a secret of jerking off to Yennefer.

As for 100% - sadly it still has a lot of boring quests and objectives. There's little reason to get all the Witcher gear as any of them is better than any other armor. Also there are lot of miniquests like use your witcher senses to find a corpse/chest with some stuff with a little story behind it. Those things are cute and similar in approach to Bethesda environmental storytelling when devs are on their meds, but that approach still rubs me wrong and gets old fast - it's like everyone in the world feels the urge to leave a last note when the death approaches.

Still game doesn't have to be 100%-completable to be good. Even some boring quests are fine. You either do them for the reward and feel like you've endured through hardship to become stronger in the game - or you never touch them and define your playthrough not just by what you do but also by what you do not. So I'm fine with Witcher 3 having a lot of quests I never completed and not going to. Certainly better than Witcher 2 (and many other RPGs) where it felt like world spins around you and devs are afraid you can miss something.

Paul_cz

Arcane
STLM in conjunction with Volumetric Clouds can get fairly close to early trailers, but for the first playthrough I recommend vanilla anyway, it looks great. Although volumetric clouds and HD Reworked are probably good to have even on first play.

witcher_comparison8gr3v.png

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
STLM in conjunction with Volumetric Clouds can get fairly close to early trailers, but for the first playthrough I recommend vanilla anyway, it looks great. Although volumetric clouds and HD Reworked are probably good to have even on first play.
Are you using any special settings for STLM or for draw distance?

Here are a couple of nightly screenshots from me:

STLM off:
KjgEUvP.png

STLM on:
KUGma3w.png

Frozen

Arcane
You should add friendly HUD so you can have clean view (and you can set some button to bring HUD up with Witcher senses).

AwesomeButton

Patron
You should add friendly HUD so you can have clean view (and you can set some button to bring HUD up with Witcher senses).
How does this button set up work? I only managed it to work once, when the bringing up of the minimap with witcher senses was a separate mod.

Frozen

Arcane
How does this button set up work? I only managed it to work once, when the bringing up of the minimap with witcher senses was a separate mod.

I had an older version of the mod but you could set it up in game the way you like it. I played with a mouse and set right button to lift everything up with Witcher senses. He could do the same with preferable controller button.
Newer version has 3D markers for everything I guess its also optional and you can set everything up in game as you like it.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Default W3 combat:
Cast Quen.
Hit.
Get Hit.
Go back to "Cast Quen."
You forgot about tactical depth of instant coating your sword with the same infinite oil. Also sometimes you're not hit and have full mana and you can cast Aard or Igni.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I never bothered with any other sign. On Deathmarch it was simply Quen. Funny enough the last boss level I barely used Quen because the combat was so easy. :lol:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Are you using any special settings for STLM or for draw distance?

Here are a couple of nightly screenshots from me:

STLM off:
KjgEUvP.png

STLM on:
KUGma3w.png

Default settings on both with ultra preset. STLM changed a lot through the versions though, I am not sure if the latest one looks the same as the one I used in the screenshot.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Witcher 3 needs no mods. It is divinely inspired
it needs W3:EE, but that's it.

Frankly, the original design feels like a product of comity design. The story and quests in vanilla are clearly designed to be non-linear, go anywhere do anything, but quests have levels. And if you aren't the right level for a quest, the game is determined to punish you for with things like HP bloat automatically tacked onto higher level enemies. So that striking a level 13 bandit at level 9 feels like hitting someone made out of brick. So you'll never be able to go to go see Yen before you see the baron or anything like that unless you just like whacking at all your enemies for hours, hoping not to get hit by an instakill because you are 10 levels too low.

Actually, I should say that your WEAPON is 10 levels too low because weapon stats are what truly determine damage output in vanilla, not player stats. Meaning that a level 5 sword will hundreds of damage points too low for any fight in the mid or late game.

W3EE fixes all that, so I wouldn't play without it.

Squid

Arbiter
If W3:EE is that good, I might have to try it. I'm getting close to beating the game vanilla though so I'll wait for my next playthrough. I just don't like how I can go back to an old quest that I forgot to finish and one shot everything there.

Didn't the EE mod also make it where you can choose what kind of attack you perform like short, medium, and long? Because that's annoying as hell when I try to hit a distant enemy and I hit the one nearer me, or I do a medium lunge to a long distanced enemy and they've been standing still the whole time.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Didn't the EE mod also make it where you can choose what kind of attack you perform like short, medium, and long? Because that's annoying as hell when I try to hit a distant enemy and I hit the one nearer me, or I do a medium lunge to a long distanced enemy and they've been standing still the whole time.
yeah, but now you'll have to also aim while you do it.

it's a lot harder at first, I'll admit, bit you get used to it.

also, dodge is no longer a win button. the new win button is block, though it doesn't work on strong attacks. you can block most monster attacks and parry them if you time it right though.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Make sure you play on highest difficulty, and if you care about lore, install lore friendly mods for witchers and Ciri. Don't use alternate skins lol.

Squid

Arbiter
There's lore friendly mods for witchers and Ciri? And I never read the books and the games are "non canon" according to the author anyway. So to hell with it, it's a fan fiction or something but the games are fun lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom