Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

agris

Arcane
Patron
So it really is a prototype for this new production method and engine, in prep for your crowdfunded game?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
So it really is a prototype for this new production method and engine, in prep for your crowdfunded game?

Its a very big part of why we are doing it this way. With CAYNE we have not only already worked out a very effective production pipeline, but a lot of the tools that we will need for the next big game will have been developed already and tested in a project. We will also be able to get user feedback on the new systems on a smaller project giving us a rock solid foundation to build the next game on.
I've learned SO much in the last 3 months, and I know we will learn even more by the end of CAYNE.

A lot of it is small things that you only learn by 'doing' it. Things like having the games texts output to a single file so that the editors and writers can make quick changes that we can implement very quickly into the game. In STASIS I literally had to copy and paste any changes that were made, and recheck everything to make sure that the lines worked properly in all languages. Now its a text file that can be imported - and also easily highlights where changes have been made.

We are also looking at a non invasive hint system - so the game will 'know' when you are stuck and will prompt you in the right direction with additional descriptions, or voice prompts. I hate hint sytems that push big arrows towards something - so think that this will work in a way that doesn't make it feel like a big arrow. It will also be able to be turned off for the purists - but the idea is that you wouldnt even notice it. It would just play out as a normal game - but if you are not progressing for a certain amount of time the character could say "I wonder if that lever could be fixed?" (for example).
These are things we need to have people use to see how they actually work - and having those systems tested on a smaller project like CAYNE will give us a lot of confidence in building better ones for the next game.

The story itself is also very cool - the fact that we are using it as a 'tech demo' is really just the icing on the cake.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
e2Jg5d1.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Gotta love how EVIL CORPORATIONS (TM) never work with a budget whenever it comes to decorations and such.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
http://playcayne.com/

From the developers of STASIS, the critically acclaimed, isometric adventure game comes: CAYNE.

FREE
CAYNE will be absolutely free to download and enjoy. It is a freestanding chapter, so you won't need STASIS to play CAYNE. It will be available on STEAM and directly from this site.

NEW
CAYNE has been created from the ground up to be able to support numerous incorporated features like higher resolutions, and particles and post effects.

STORY
CAYNE is an adjunct to STASIS. But don't worry - it's spoiler free, if you haven't played STASIS yet!
Hadley wakes in a facility. She is 9 months pregnant. They want her baby...

You can get more info and screenshots over at http://playcayne.com/

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ric-scifi-horror-adventure-game/posts/1598280

CAYNE: A STASIS STORY
"Hadley wakes in a facility. She is 9 months pregnant. They want her baby..."

When the dust settled after STASIS, Nic and I knew that the journey wasn't quite over. After spending 5 years with our dear John and the search for his family aboard the Groomlake, we weren't ready to leave the grimy world of Cayne Corporation behind.

So when it came to CAYNE (the additional chapter we'd promised to the Kickstarter Backers) we wanted to do something different. John's story was a small sliver of what the world of STASIS had to offer, and how exciting and rewarding it is to be able to explore a little further... to slice open that seedy underbelly and see what's inside!

A TALE OF 3 STORIES

The story we'd originally planned for CAYNE was to follow an engineer on the Groomlake, who was fighting to keep the ship afloat. While doing so, uncovering the hard truth of what Project SEED was all about. She'd be hunted by Dr. Malan (you remember him), while on a mission to save herself and a friend, and end up with a rather familiar crowbar through the skull.

Another idea was to follow Yuri, as he was sent from pillar to post through the ship to secure an unidentified 'package'.

Story 3? An expectant woman who goes in for a routine surgery, and wakes up pregnant to term and disorientated.

That last story struck a chord with me. I've been in hospital before, and the 'missing time' aspect of it all has terrified me. Off you are into theatre, count back from 10, and then wake up a few hours later in a different room... You're at the mercy of a surgeon and the nurses. Deeply disturbing. Isn't that what horror is made of?! So those very fears felt like the perfect vessel for a story in the world of STASIS, right? From that seed, CAYNE was born.

CAYNE is a self-contained story. There are threads from STASIS, tethering the two together, while still letting exist apart from one another.

IT IS FREE!

The decision to make CAYNE free to the public was one that we went back and forth on, but we'd love to introduce a taste of STASIS to new audiences. And how better to showcase our new engine framework (built in Unity 5) and what we can do with it?

So look forward to the high quality games that THE BROTHERHOOD plans to produce in the future. Alongside the release of CAYNE, we plan on crowd funding an entirely new adventure game.

(Don't worry, Kickstarter Backers will get access to CAYNE prior to public release!)

Annex

FUSION

LAB

WHERE IS CAYNE NOW?

We're trying to push ourselves to provide the most polished, AAA experience that we can. CAYNE is in the final stages of development, and are aiming for a Q4 2016 release, with approximate game play of 1.5 hours.

• In-game art assets for CAYNE are complete, with only a few key character animations outstanding.
0885a6da61d663f40a849ba92350a64c_original.jpg

• The writing of all diary entries are done. Both original STASIS writers are back to inflict more punishment, with some incredibly talented (and twisted) new writers onboard too.
  • The game's screenplay? Done! Our amazing voice actors are getting ready to provide life to these new characters.
  • CAYNE's cinematic sequences are deep in production.
a1ea4e5cc6777242312b7b62a5d1682d_original.gif

f994b07c58d301648dadb72d9ff2d875_original.gif

• Look forward to a musical score composed by Ivo Sadiski, and featuring Will McCabe, Daniel Sadowiski and our very own Nic Bischoff.
CAYNE HAS ITS OWN WEBSITE

WWW.PLAYCAYNE.COM

Please head over to the website for more info and updates.

TO THE BACKERS...

A quick thanks again for making this extra chapter possible. I know you'll enjoy what's in store!

- Chris

Twitter: https://twitter.com/stasisGame

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stasisgame/

PS

If you played STASIS, please drop a quick review here:http://store.steampowered.com/app/380150

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
We will try to get it on as many portals as possible. We have a pretty good relationship with GOG - so I dont see why not. :)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Looks pretty damn awesome, Chris! Looking forward to playing it.

Not sure if you answered this before, but how many rooms can we expect in the CAYNE chapter?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Room wise its sitting at 23 rooms, with 7 'full screen' puzzles - although that number may fluctuate by 1 or 2 by release - and some of those rooms are alternate states. So its not a huge game - but we are experimenting with a much less linear play style than Stasis.
Ive done almost all of the ingame art - but there may be some pickups during testing. Right now its cinematic work, some awesome freelance stuff that Im doing, and working on material for the next game. Nic is busy stringing it all together and adding in a ridiculous amount of polish. He even wrote a sound engine that mimics 3D sound in 2D space. Its awesome to play it with headphones on!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I completely agree with all of the story crits. Honestly I would have loved to do more with it - but because it was my first game I kept coming back to simplify the story and the game.
Originally the fungus did play a much larger part in the story - but had to be cut back when the engineering section of the game was removed.

Glad you enjoyed it tho! I've learned a lot since then - hopefully our games just keep getting better. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom