Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
If you need hints for the puzzles, you can ask in here - although with the big release on Tuesday Ill probably make a new thread (or someone else can?)

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you need hints for the puzzles, you can ask in here - although with the big release on Tuesday Ill probably make a new thread (or someone else can?)
No need I think! The game was short but great! Took me four hours from start to finish.

Had to restart the game a couple of times though because of bugs. All of a sudden you couldn't access your inventory and one time the mouse cursor disappeared. I also had one crash. Other than that it worked fine.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Glad you enjoyed it!

If you could - please email studio@thebrotherhoodgames.com with the bugs and where they happened - and any save game files you have around where the bugs occurred.
There is also a LOG file in the same directory as the save games (the directory is shown when you try to open one in the game) which is there for bug tracking.

lightbane

Arcane
Uh, turns out that I had forgotten that I am technically one of the backers, since during development I paid the game from the webpage instead of the Kickstarter one, so I've been given a free Steam Code. Thanks!

Obviously I won't spoiler anything, but I can say that the improvements are immediately noticeable. :incline::incline:

I wonder what will you guys do if the SJWs hordes notice the condition in which the female protagonist is caught in. :P

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Uh, turns out that I had forgotten that I am technically one of the backers, since during development I paid the game from the webpage instead of the Kickstarter one, so I've been given a free Steam Code. Thanks!

Obviously I won't spoiler anything, but I can say that the improvements are immediately noticeable. :incline::incline:

I wonder what will you guys do if the SJWs hordes notice the condition in which the female protagonist is caught in. :P

Thats easy...make a game about a paraplegic scientist in a futuristic Africa.

lightbane

Arcane
Unfortunately, it seems I found a bug: After completing the first "puzzle" and BAYEXPLOSIONS ensue, the screen fades to black and... Nothing happens. The game freezes. Oddly enough, I did manage to continue just fine the first time I tested the game, but right now it doesn't seem to be possible.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
http://opnoobs.com/reviews/indie/adventure/cayne

CAYNE REVIEW
Jan 23, 2017 By Jonathon Lopez font size decrease font size increase font size Print Email
Wake up in a strange facility not remembering how you got there. Attempt to escape. Find horrific experiments along the way. Dismembered bodies, rooms covered in blood, and a screaming, disemboweled jerk who enjoys the poems of Edgar Allan Poe…

WELCOME TO THE SCI-FI (AND FREE TO PLAY) UNIVERSE OF CAYNE.

“And to think, a fall could’ve been a good thing for me a few months ago,” utters pregnant protagonist Hadley with a self-derisory laugh. A quote from the opening act, and a taste of the dark humor we’ve come to know THE BROTHERHOOD by, mostly through their 2015 crowdfunded game, STASIS (reviewed by OpNoobs here).

CAYNE very much picks up on its predecessor’s design and atmosphere. It’s a sci-fi point-and-click adventure, loaded with anxiety-driven undertones. This time around, you’re pulled into some medical facility, presumably for your heroine to have an abortion. General anesthetic kicks in. Haley falls unconscious. She wakes up several months later, still pregnant and in a different, much dirtier place. Even more troublesome is the fact that a hulking figure attends to her while a machine asks that she remains calm as it seeks to harvest her uterus. Yeah. Hadley’s terror and astonishment are palpable as she struggles to release herself, and the game’s main objective quickly unveils:

CAYNE IS AS MUCH ABOUT GETTING AWAY, AS IT IS ABOUT UNRAVELING THE MYSTERIES CONTAINED.

I, started off doing what I always do in point-and-click adventures: waste time clicking everything and trying to use every item on every other item -- to be sure I don’t miss anything. Thankfully to support my obsessive compulsive behavior are intuitive controls. Moving around from room to room is easy to execute, and the same can be said about interacting with objects. Hovering the mouse over them reveals snippets of text. Then is your inventory, filling up with items collected along the way. You’ll need to pull these out when interacting with new ones, in attempts to combine them and solve puzzles standing in your way.

CAYNE IS A DARK PLACE; HADLEY IS A CONFLICTED AND ENGAGING CHARACTER.
The tension that seamlessly exists between the world, its characters, and the player, is THE BROTHERHOOD's defining strength with the games they make. You'll oddly find your place between this uninviting universe and its foreign but fitting character. It works, often thanks to the snarky humor that allows sensations and emotions commonly found in the genre that is Psychological Horror.

When you try something that won’t work, for example, Hadley comments on it and laughs at you. Yes, you are being mocked. Really, what were you thinking? If you're anything like me, you'll enjoy the feedback but in a sadistic way. You’ll laugh along with her. Hadley’s interjections don’t stop you in an ALT-F4 type of way; in fact, the excellent execution of the voice-acting, especially considering the production is that of a small-budget indie, keeps you persevering to find out more.

If you often play point-and-click adventure games, you’ll also find yourself right at home with CAYNE. Enjoy these in-game moments when you’re stuck to a point YouTube becomes a savory option. It's never excessively hard though, and you won't opt out of your quest to embrace the easier way. The game does a fine job in walking that fine line and finding balance: you’ll typically discover the solution seconds before frustration builds up, each challenge is well measured in terms of difficulty, and problems encountered aren’t enough to obstruct an enjoyable pace in gameplay. Spend a handful of minutes backtracking, figure out what connection you missed, and it all unfolds to your merit.

GRAPHICS ARE STRIKING.

If you’re old enough, they’ll remind you of your gamer’s life in the late 90’s, playing Baldur’s Gate. It’s not just the isometric angle, or the prerendered backgrounds, that make it similar to the iconic RPG; in fact, plenty of comparisons could be made. The lighting, color palettes, the way rooms connect; the hallways, the blackness outside, the tunnels-in-an-ant-farm atmosphere: yep, the inspiration here is clearly drawn from the role-playing staple of BioWare Games. On the downside, details in character designs aren’t the sharpest: they feel clunky at times, especially when placed in such crisp environments.

The Verdict
Stripped of combat mechanics, the fear, tension, and uneasiness found in CAYNE are triggered solely by the unsettling nature of its atmosphere. Hadley stands in a room with a blood-soaked MRI scanner, while you read a personal journal that’s been left behind. Each successive entry is filled with more madness and malice than the last. The hair on the back of your neck stands up. You’re curious as to what’s around the next corner, but aren't too sure you want to find out. This is the experience that is playing CAYNE, yet another homage to isometric games á la Baldur's Gate, but one that successfully injects the elements of psychological horror into point-and-click gameplay. Play this. It's Free to Play and worth every penny you won't spend.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Hi!.. friend. I'm Ralph.. Want to make a c... R.... P...G together???

Loved the game, the graphics and UI got a big bump up compared to STASIS. Though, I wish you could go back, and touch up the STASIS graphics to fit modern resolutions and screens and the UI aswell, oh well.

The story and atmosphere is proper twisted and fucked up, just like STASIS. The game was of course alot shorter than STASIS, which is fine, and I really like this world, and you should definitely do more games, perhaps even a true RPG instead of adventure games, although it works brilliantly for the adventure genre. It feels very 90's with a fresh take. I wish you could take PDA's with you, and generally, the game would have benefitted from more backstory/lore if you had the time. It is quite a captivating world and story, so like I said, you should do more. You're on to something here.

The Ending:
I was also surprised to learn, that the game is in fact a sequel of sorts to STASIS, and not a prequel as previously thought. To my knowledge, Hadley was some sort of guineapig to resurrect CAYNE, and was also somehow related to the CAYNE family line. The crashed groomlake at the ending make it clear, that it's been some time now since STASIS, and that there's been several of these research-development hubs that CAYNE takes place in. Trying to find the right "host" for the new Cayne to ensure immortality or whatever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played a bit of the game. Here are the two main observations I can make about it:

1) Although its production quality is higher than STASIS, one should understand that it's really more of a minigame in terms of substance. It's sparse, there's not a lot to interact with.

2) In terms of plot/setting, imagine an entire game set in STASIS' final area. There are no innocent victims leaving behind predictable apocalyptic logs among the deceased inhabitants of the facility you're locked in. They're a bunch of damaged psychos, who are more directly tied to the story of the place. I think Darth Roxor and sexbad? may find the game to be an improvement over STASIS in that respect.

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Hi!.. friend. I'm Ralph.. Want to make a c... R.... P...G together???

Loved the game, the graphics and UI got a big bump up compared to STASIS. Though, I wish you could go back, and touch up the STASIS graphics to fit modern resolutions and screens and the UI aswell, oh well.

The story and atmosphere is proper twisted and fucked up, just like STASIS. The game was of course alot shorter than STASIS, which is fine, and I really like this world, and you should definitely do more games, perhaps even a true RPG instead of adventure games, although it works brilliantly for the adventure genre. It feels very 90's with a fresh take. I wish you could take PDA's with you, and generally, the game would have benefitted from more backstory/lore if you had the time. It is quite a captivating world and story, so like I said, you should do more. You're on to something here.

The Ending:
I was also surprised to learn, that the game is in fact a sequel of sorts to STASIS, and not a prequel as previously thought. To my knowledge, Hadley was some sort of guineapig to resurrect CAYNE, and was also somehow related to the CAYNE family line. The crashed groomlake at the ending make it clear, that it's been some time now since STASIS, and that there's been several of these research-development hubs that CAYNE takes place in. Trying to find the right "host" for the new Cayne to ensure immortality or whatever.

Thanks so much for playing it! Glad that you liked it.
And you are pretty spot on with the ending.

lightbane

Arcane
Pyke, good news: Apparently switching the game's language to English did the trick: I can play just fine now. A shame, I was testing the Spanish translation to see how good it was, but for some reason it didn't work well.

Either way, I'll eagerly play this whenever I have the time.

opium fiend

Augur
Cayne just gives me black screen with some background noise. Is my integrated Intel card too weak for this game?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Pyke, good news: Apparently switching the game's language to English did the trick: I can play just fine now. A shame, I was testing the Spanish translation to see how good it was, but for some reason it didn't work well.

Ah crap - Ill ask Nic to take a look as to why this would happen.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Could you send through the save games and your log file so we can check exactly what happened. You can email use at studio(at)thebrotherhoodgames.com
Nic also suggested to perhaps verify your download through Steam to make sure that the translation file/other files arent corrupted.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Cayne just gives me black screen with some background noise. Is my integrated Intel card too weak for this game?

Nic said that the specs may be a little low. Unity isnt low end machine friendly. :( The minimum specs are on the Steam page - but either way send us through that stuff so we can make sure. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom