Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is a pretty game Pyke :)

lightbane

Arcane
Could you send through the save games and your log file so we can check exactly what happened. You can email use at studio(at)thebrotherhoodgames.com
Nic also suggested to perhaps verify your download through Steam to make sure that the translation file/other files arent corrupted.

Understood. I'll do that now, although it seems to work fine now. I guess that particular scene is bugged somehow.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CAYNE released:

Free, but there's a $7 deluxe content DLC (not in-game content)

Last edited:

Misco Jones

Savant
When I first launched Cayne, I had opening sound and when I went ingame, there was no sound. I closed the game and relaunched, still nothing. I uninstalled then installed again, still nothing. I updated drivers, still nothing. :(

agris

Arcane
Patron
If you're a habitual movie/scene skipper who presses ESC a lot, tone it down. I've found that causes the game to hang when it's playing movies and skip-able scenes.

Misco Jones

Savant
If you're a habitual movie/scene skipper who presses ESC a lot, tone it down. I've found that causes the game to hang when it's playing movies and skip-able scenes.

Thanks, agris.

Finally resolved the problem: I reinstalled the sound card drivers again. Strange, but it works perfect now!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I think I know what it is - its an issue with some of the OGG codecs.

You need to do this each time you load CAYNE.

Load CAYNE
Press Escape while the little doodad is spinning
Get to the Menu
Then HOLD SHIFT and hit Tilde (~)
A console should popup
Type in:
oggvideo
Hit enter
Close the console

We will be adding that into the menu on the next update.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CAYNE Alpha, Beta and Gamma secret codes:

vwLKgAO.jpg
BErKYWk.jpg
K9q2NKQ.jpg

What do they mean?

Two of them have already been solved here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/532840/discussions/0/143388250763301510/

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Some behind-the-scenes CAYNE discussion with Pyke (don't read before you've finished the game):

Where was Samantha normally kept before she escaped? I was expecting her cage to be located behind the door where Cayne's stasis pod shrine was. Also, I was expecting to find Sharon and Julia's corpses near her cage, but instead they're nowhere to be found. A cut portion of the game? You never find Joseph Bueno's corpse either.

Dr. Adams, on the other hand, uncharacteristically manages to survive the events of the game. Impressive.

Samantha was kept in Kearns lab strapped to that crucifix thing. There was a section with her cage that sits above the grub room - but we removed access to the higher level (you can see the additional levels in the crew quarters). There was a section where you crawled through the air ducts after she was let loose from behind the gate. Thats also why there are multiple doors coming off of the airlock room.

Dr Adams locked himself in the room with the forcefields as soon as the shit hit the fan. I think that he was a bit of a paranoid person, and would have set himself up with a panic button in his lab at the first chance he got!

We did have more corpses in the game - BUT we had to get rid of them all except for Danies to make the end of the game work - or you would have found a corpse and attracted Samantha there. The entire final chapter was actually going to be a sort of cat and mouse game - similar to Space Quest 1, or 7 days a skeptic - but we had to be realistic with it being a free game and us running out of time and money!

The elevator in the crew quarters wasnt broken in the early drafts - it was how you got to the other levels. We literally just turned the 3d model to the side and covered it with flames and it worked. :)

I took me a while to realize Samantha was that water creature from the first game. So they built a research installation near the Groomlake crash site and recovered her (along with the Groomlake's endemic food poisoning and fungus infestation problems). Ironic that the successful method of granting Hendry Cayne immortality ended up having nothing to do with the Groomlake (or did it)

I always saw Samantha as a sort of mistake - something that wasnt really supposed to happen. Just a piece of goo that somehow grew limbs. Its the whole 'The Most Exciting Phrase in Science Is Not ‘Eureka!’ But ‘That’s funny …’ angle.
When the Groomlake was recovered, they went in an probably found her macking on a few bodies, captured her, and realized her potential as this strange genetic anomaly and the key to properly creating clones (as she herself was born from the 'soup' of clones).
But I suppose half the fun is figuring out that middle part of the story - what happened between Stasis and Cayne? I do have some cool ideas - but a sequel will more than likely take a very different route. I think that The Groomlakes story is told. Unless we came up with something AMAZING I dont think Id wanna go back to the ship. There are lots of other places to explore in the world!
We have also now set a precedent that the stories in Stasis can time jump around. A sequel could take place 100 years previously, or 100 years in the future. Its a fun place to be when thinking about cool stories to tell!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished it. Overall is more Stasis which is good.

There is one quest which almost made me rage quit - when setting the temperature for the grub laboratory I clicked too fast and the temperature got set to 96 degrees which is one degree more than what was needed. Needless to say I had to backtrack a lot and use a utube walk-through until I realized my mistake. It almost ruined my entire experience. This might be a bug.

The game likes to pretend that there are many more people on that research vault however there are none ... Shit, now I read the post from Infinitron.

Cons:
- In some rooms inventory button is overlapping with exit room interaction.
- You can exit rooms by selecting the frame of some door but not if you select the empty space from middle of the door (!?).
- Please consider some item highlighting feature for your next game. It makes me paranoid not to know that I've searched everything.

Pros:
- Resolution improvement over Stasis - game is gorgeous. Music also.
- Hadley humor is sometimes misplaced but it works.
Brains ... :)

I think the story suffers from gore over-saturation and some other issues (it's hard to believe that the main character is so talkative in that context) however it works. I really liked the ending.

I have not idea how you manage to pull it off until now but you should expect a barrage of retarded criticism from SJW brigades once this game gains some notoriety.

I cannot back now but I will definitely buy Beautiful Desolation on release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The game likes to pretend that there are many more people on that research vault however there are none ... Shit, now I read the post from Infinitron.

I think there could be a lot of survivors who simply left the Facility via elevator when Samantha started going out of control. The ones who stayed are the most fanatical scientists unwilling to leave their research behind.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
finished it. pretty good, the ending is a bit confusing tho. this just makes me want another game in STASIS universe. so like the steam discussion, i assume

the baby is Cayne? i mean the facility is a way to resurrect cayne, but i always thought the baby is some kind of perfected samantha, kinda a cloning stem cell source that is acceptable to all kinds of bodies, also wont turn into a monster. also why is hadley launched into the surface in there? why is groomlake being repaired? (it doenst make sense if groomlake survive the plunge in one piece, and just needs a little welding here and there)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
finished it. pretty good, the ending is a bit confusing tho. this just makes me want another game in STASIS universe. so like the steam discussion, i assume

the baby is Cayne? i mean the facility is a way to resurrect cayne, but i always thought the baby is some kind of perfected samantha, kinda a cloning stem cell source that is acceptable to all kinds of bodies, also wont turn into a monster. also why is hadley launched into the surface in there? why is groomlake being repaired? (it doenst make sense if groomlake survive the plunge in one piece, and just needs a little welding here and there)

As far as I can tell the baby started out as just a baby, and then had Hendry Cayne's mind copied into it. I don't think it has anything to do with Samantha - that's the other team's project and Dr. Adams wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Note: It's possible that Hadley is actually a secret descendant of Hendry Cayne, selected for her genetic compatibility. Yes, that means she's giving birth to her own ancestor.

opium fiend

Augur
Cayne just gives me black screen with some background noise. Is my integrated Intel card too weak for this game?

Nic said that the specs may be a little low. Unity isnt low end machine friendly. :( The minimum specs are on the Steam page - but either way send us through that stuff so we can make sure. :)

Hey. I'll just play the game on a different machine, where I had no problem with Stasis. Thanks for being helpful anyway :)

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a news about Cayne on a big (mainstream and shitty) French video game website, http://www.jeuxvideo.com/
I put a link to the Kickstarter in the comments, maybe you can try to contact them about doing a news item about Beautiful Desolation.

Edit: they added the link in the news, hopefully it will bring more people.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
Haven't played it yet, but the Steam reviews read like people who never played Stasis. Maybe it should only have been free for people who already own the first game?
Either way it needs some monocled attention, if for nothing else, to help with Beautiful Desolation, since the majority of players are going to spree for the freequel and not the original, fire their lazers based on ignorance.

V_K

Arcane
As far as I can tell the baby started out as just a baby, and then had Hendry Cayne's mind copied into it. I don't think it has anything to do with Samantha - that's the other team's project and Dr. Adams wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Note: It's possible that Hadley is actually a secret descendant of Hendry Cayne, selected for her genetic compatibility. Yes, that means she's giving birth to her own ancestor.
I think the Note part is most certainly right - otherwise why would Adams bother with getting Joseph to sleep with her? They had enough pregnant girls there already.
What I don't get is why the birth is so problematic and why Cayne tells Hadley he's sorry.
Is it just me or are the puzzles considerably easier here than in Stasis?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom