Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

Derek Larp

Cipher
Enhancing modding drama with actual cash transactions. What could possibly go wrong?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This is an old page from that previous drama. It's being heavily forced on /v/ right now, don't fall for it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Good to see people rely on 4chan for their news. This would be all over the internet now if true.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ITZ COMING

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-04-steam-launches-official-item-stores

Steam launches official developer-run Item Stores

ORIGINAL STORY 4/11/2015 10.30pm: Steam has launched an all new feature with Item Stores, a developer-run market for specific games.

jpg

So far the only game to implement this new feature is Rust, where the developer is selling an array of new cosmetic gear at set prices.

This is similar to the Steam Community Market, wherein players buy and sell their own goods for Steam Wallet funds, only in the new Item Stores it's the developer who sets the prices.

It's unclear what the full implications of this Item Store feature are just yet. Perhaps it's simply an easier way for developers to set up micro-transactions so they can be built into the Steam client, rather than developed in-game. Or maybe this will be the first step in revisiting Valve's failed attempt at paid mods, as it might be possible developers could strike a deal with modders to get their work on a game's official store. At the very least, it allows devs to set price caps on items, so rare ones don't get too expensive.

We've asked Valve for comment on what it's goal is with this new feature. In the meantime, you can snag a Skeleton Hoodie in Rust for £1.60, roughly half the price it's going for on the Community Market.

UPDATE 5/11/2015 12.16am: Valve's Doug Lombardi has clarified some details around the new Steam Item Store.

Excitingly, developers will be able to work with modders to sell user-made items on a game's official store and the proceeds will be split between the original game developer and modder.

Valve offered the following explanation to the Steam Dev Community Group:

"This new Item Store is designed to make it easy for developers to establish an in-game economy or to just sell individual cosmetic items, keys, or consumables. And, it's designed to easily integrate with a curated Workshop (similar to Team Fortress 2) so you can accept user-made items, use that data to create item definitions and prices in the Steam Inventory Service, and set those items for sale via the Item Store. Steam takes care of the checkout process, splitting payments to Workshop authors as appropriate, and adding the items to users' inventories. Your game then just needs to be able to call the Workshop to download item content in the right circumstances for your game."

What's not clear is how the proceeds will be split between modders and game developers. We've asked Valve for further details on this (will it be a set per cent, or do developers or publishers negotiate their own rules?) and will update as we find out more.

When asked how Rust's Item Store is different than in-game micro-transactions, Lombardi replied "It's not, except that this new system uses Steam for a bunch of things that developers have traditionally had to build themselves."

There are plenty of options for layouts, background images and a game's top-selling items will automatically appear on the relevant title's store page. It sounds a little like the difference between using Wordpress versus developing a site from scratch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not the same thing as Skyrim's paid mods - here, the developers make the call on what to sell. Presumably, developers would not allow their item market to turn into a garbage bazaar full of crappy fan-made reskins. :M

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
There's also a big difference between skyrim style mods, which would be classed as DLC if the developer sold them, and cosmetic items that exist separately in your steam inventory and can be traded between accounts.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is nothing new. They're simply opening up the stuff you find in TF2, DOTA2, etc. to other developers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, but those games are multiplayer. I can see this going to be a thing now with single-player games. Instead of grinding for that sword, you will have to buy it.

Unwanted

jcd

Punished JCD
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
relevant as always
WHEN THE MODS COST SOME CASH MA
PIRATE LIKE IT'S HOT
PIRATE LIKE IT'S HOT
PIRATE LIKE IT'S HOT

ar1hWcA.jpg

WHEN THE DEVS TRYNNA GET AT YOU
PIRATE IT ALL
PIRATE IT ALL
PIRATE IT ALL

nzOb8Y5.jpg

WHEN THE GABEN GET AN ATTITUDE
SLAP IT LIKE A BOSS
SLAP IT LIKE A BOSS
SLAP IT LIKE A BOSS

I GOT THE BUCKLER ON MY ARM AND I'M HACKIN DOWN MOBS AND I PLAY MY GAMES FO FREE CUZ I GOT IT GOING ON

iM7iuYa.jpg

Alfons

Prophet
The lines between mods and paid DLC will finally blur, just like the greedy fucks from the AAA industry always wanted.
The difference always was that mods are created by users and are free, that's it. There is enough shit which is labeled "DLC" which is nothing more than a few weapons and outfits, "ONLY 5$!!!".

If you label the modders "freelance game designers" and make their shit cost money it's pretty much DLC.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love how I got down-voted on reddit for just saying "all microtransactions are shit". I know, I know reddit sucks. But I mean, the publishers have already won it seems like, since the consensus seems to be that it's okay as long as it is "cosmetic" even in a 60 euro game. I don't know how or when this happened but I just can't believe a huge chunk out of the gaming population are defending this shit. I guess it could be a lot of astroturfing going on. I don't know.

Cadmus

Arcane
I love how I got down-voted on reddit for just saying "all microtransactions are shit". I know, I know reddit sucks. But I mean, the publishers have already won it seems like, since the consensus seems to be that it's okay as long as it is "cosmetic" even in a 60 euro game. I don't know how or when this happened but I just can't believe a huge chunk out of the gaming population are defending this shit. I guess it could be a lot of astroturfing going on. I don't know.
It's a combination of retards + astroturfing, we just don't know the ratio. I suspect that there's much more astroturfing going on that we would think.
Especially looking at reddit, 3/4 of the image posts are basically advertising a product or a company. Aside from being an advertising in itself it also encourages the fucking retarded cocksucker redditors (omfg just typing this word kills me) to share their own advertisement for games/movies/stupid stuff just to be a part of the group. It's incredible and I think tons of it must be done by professionals or at least by hired indian bots under a supervision of a professional advertising campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom