Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

ArchAngel

Arcane
I love how I got down-voted on reddit for just saying "all microtransactions are shit". I know, I know reddit sucks. But I mean, the publishers have already won it seems like, since the consensus seems to be that it's okay as long as it is "cosmetic" even in a 60 euro game. I don't know how or when this happened but I just can't believe a huge chunk out of the gaming population are defending this shit. I guess it could be a lot of astroturfing going on. I don't know.
No, they will win only once pirating games is no longer possible.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I love how I got down-voted on reddit for just saying "all microtransactions are shit". I know, I know reddit sucks. But I mean, the publishers have already won it seems like, since the consensus seems to be that it's okay as long as it is "cosmetic" even in a 60 euro game. I don't know how or when this happened but I just can't believe a huge chunk out of the gaming population are defending this shit. I guess it could be a lot of astroturfing going on. I don't know.
And retards like Total Shit saying that in every video with day-one dlc.If it's cosmetic...slurp-slurp...

Reddit is a magical place where if enough people/bots/shills dislike something, it actually doesn't exist.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
The difference always was that mods are created by users and are free, that's it. There is enough shit which is labeled "DLC" which is nothing more than a few weapons and outfits, "ONLY 5$!!!".

If you label the modders "freelance game designers" and make their shit cost money it's pretty much DLC.

Damn right and that's why it is so outrageous. I understnad that this world is run by money, but this is just shameless. And dumb.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-modders-absolutely-need-to-be-paid/

Valve: Modders 'absolutely' need to be paid
Gabe Newell makes clear Valve's intention to bring back paid mods.

Valve's plan to allow modders to be paid for their work did not survive contact with the PC gaming community. When the proposal was announced in April 2015 with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as a pilot game, it was met with a mixture of opposition and praise that Valve called "a dump truck of feedback." The plan was retracted in just four days.

To some, the notion of paying modders was contrary to the spirit of modding. Many suggested a donation scheme for Steam Workshop modders as an alternative to traditional pricing. Others, including prominent modders themselves, made the case that revenue sharing was long overdue for a group of creators that had produced beloved work over so many years.

"We underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop," Valve's Alden Kroll wrote at the time. "We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here."

Almost two years later, Valve is speaking again about paying modders for their work. In a roundtable interview at Valve attended by PC Gamer and other press on Thursday, Valve's Gabe Newell expressed the company's intention to take a second crack at paid modding on Steam at some point in the future.

Responding a question about the topic from GamesBeat editor Jeff Grubb, Newell talked broadly about the importance of Steam producing useful information for creators about their work.

"In a sense you want to have really good signal to noise ratios in how the gaming community signals to developers 'Yeah, do more of that.' Or, 'No, please, don't release any more of those ever.' And [modders] create a lot of value, and we think that … absolutely they need to be compensated, they're creating value and the degree to which they're not being accurately compensated is a bug in the system, right? It's just inserting noise into it," said Newell. "You want to have efficient ways so that the people who are actually creating value are the people that money is flowing to."

This language is stronger than the mostly apologetic blog post Valve left us with in 2015 ("We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here"), and it makes clear Valve's commitment to bringing back paid mods.

Newell continued to acknowledge that Valve's first attempt at monetizing modding was painful for the company. "The Skyrim situation was a mess. It was not the right place to launch that specific thing and we did some sort of ham-handed, stupid things in terms of how we rolled it out," he said. "EJ [Valve's Erik Johnson] basically said we just need to back off of this for now, but the fundamental concept of 'the gaming community needs to reward the people who are creating value' is pretty important, right? … the degree to which Valve helps contribute to efficiency in the system is one of the ways in which we're adding value to the system as a whole. So, you know, we have to just figure out how to do it in a way that makes customers happy and that they buy into it, it makes creators happy because they feel like the system is rational and is rewarding the right people for the work that they do. Does that make sense?"

It makes sense to us. Valve continues to pay modders, map makers, and modelers whose work is selected for publication in Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, and Dota 2.

Newell didn't elaborate on what Valve would do differently in the future, but it'd be surprising if this eventual second attempt was tied to a big game with a heavily established modding scene such as Skyrim. "[Skyrim] gave us a ton of information. But there was also a little bit of 'That burner is hot. Maybe we wait awhile before we put our fingers on that burner again.'"

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So basically, what they got from that whole Skyrim paid mods fiasco was that they simply chose the wrong game to start with and they'll get it right the second time because they'll make it less controversial? :retarded:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Steam should offer/promote easy ways to donate to Steam workshop modders but pay-only mods should be verbotten.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Steam should offer/promote easy ways to donate to Steam workshop modders but pay-only mods should be verbotten.

Impossible, copyrights issues will stop that fast.

If they really want to pay moders , give them cut from the 30% Valve take.What next ,early access buyer must be paid as they are testers?

racofer

Thread Incliner
http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-modders-absolutely-need-to-be-paid/

Valve: Modders 'absolutely' need to be paid
Gabe Newell makes clear Valve's intention to bring back paid mods.

Valve's plan to allow modders to be paid for their work did not survive contact with the PC gaming community. When the proposal was announced in April 2015 with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as a pilot game, it was met with a mixture of opposition and praise that Valve called "a dump truck of feedback." The plan was retracted in just four days.

To some, the notion of paying modders was contrary to the spirit of modding. Many suggested a donation scheme for Steam Workshop modders as an alternative to traditional pricing. Others, including prominent modders themselves, made the case that revenue sharing was long overdue for a group of creators that had produced beloved work over so many years.

"We underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop," Valve's Alden Kroll wrote at the time. "We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here."

Almost two years later, Valve is speaking again about paying modders for their work. In a roundtable interview at Valve attended by PC Gamer and other press on Thursday, Valve's Gabe Newell expressed the company's intention to take a second crack at paid modding on Steam at some point in the future.

Responding a question about the topic from GamesBeat editor Jeff Grubb, Newell talked broadly about the importance of Steam producing useful information for creators about their work.

"In a sense you want to have really good signal to noise ratios in how the gaming community signals to developers 'Yeah, do more of that.' Or, 'No, please, don't release any more of those ever.' And [modders] create a lot of value, and we think that … absolutely they need to be compensated, they're creating value and the degree to which they're not being accurately compensated is a bug in the system, right? It's just inserting noise into it," said Newell. "You want to have efficient ways so that the people who are actually creating value are the people that money is flowing to."

This language is stronger than the mostly apologetic blog post Valve left us with in 2015 ("We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here"), and it makes clear Valve's commitment to bringing back paid mods.

Newell continued to acknowledge that Valve's first attempt at monetizing modding was painful for the company. "The Skyrim situation was a mess. It was not the right place to launch that specific thing and we did some sort of ham-handed, stupid things in terms of how we rolled it out," he said. "EJ [Valve's Erik Johnson] basically said we just need to back off of this for now, but the fundamental concept of 'the gaming community needs to reward the people who are creating value' is pretty important, right? … the degree to which Valve helps contribute to efficiency in the system is one of the ways in which we're adding value to the system as a whole. So, you know, we have to just figure out how to do it in a way that makes customers happy and that they buy into it, it makes creators happy because they feel like the system is rational and is rewarding the right people for the work that they do. Does that make sense?"

It makes sense to us. Valve continues to pay modders, map makers, and modelers whose work is selected for publication in Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, and Dota 2.

Newell didn't elaborate on what Valve would do differently in the future, but it'd be surprising if this eventual second attempt was tied to a big game with a heavily established modding scene such as Skyrim. "[Skyrim] gave us a ton of information. But there was also a little bit of 'That burner is hot. Maybe we wait awhile before we put our fingers on that burner again.'"
I agree in the case of Bethesda games. Modders are the ones providing extended support for their titles after release, anyway.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
What copyright issues? If a game has steam workshop then the devs are fine with somewhat curated mods and linking to a patreon or steam gift option isn't directly tied with the mod itself. Anyway your whole post is retarded.

Latelistener

Arcane
Valve and Bethesda should pay modders from their own pockets, if they think that they 'absolutely' need to be paid.

They just want to parasite on someone else's work, while no one really needs them. If someone wants to pay for a mod, he'll go on Nexus, and either send creators some cash, or ask them what they want, and encourage them in some other way.

deuxhero

Arcane

If they really want to pay moders , give them cut from the 30% Valve take.What next ,early access buyer must be paid as they are testers?

The simplest way would be to make it easier to buy them stuff on their wishlist. No money changes hands except from the buyer to Valve.

pippin

So basically, what they got from that whole Skyrim paid mods fiasco was that they simply chose the wrong game to start with and they'll get it right the second time because they'll make it less controversial? :retarded:

Hey, it worked with the likes of Team Fortress et al.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Such a surpise (not) These years Valve is all about getting a cut out of anything they can get their hands on (lol @ movies and metric tons of shit games on Steam) Of course they're looking for ways to monetize mods, even after that terrible Skyrim fiasco, and to facilitate the publishing of even more shitty games.

And of course their new games are for VR, so they can push out the Vive headset. Inb4 Portal 3 is VR-only.

Khorne

Arbiter
Maybe they do get it right this time.

A $60 game with full featured editor where content mods are sold separately is OK for modders if the platform is secure and the game in question features mod support from the start.
But I already suspect $60 game with editor which requires multiple $20 DLC and an external commercial tool like 3DMAX or PS will become the norm.
The devs and publishers will make more, commercial tools will sell better, modders will get some scraps, but the end users are fucked because what used to be a $60 game now costs way more.

It's about promoting the devs and the platform though, not about promoting the modders.
When someone makes a good mod, the devs can just take it and claim they made it during office hours but it was somehow leaked.
They can also repost a mod on workshop and attach countless positive reviews for it, because they have limitless amount of keys and reviews.
So the actual modders are fucked too, they must invest time and money just like the devs, and still risk their work being stolen because the platform allows it.

Only way I can see valve pulling this off is by forcing all modders to do their work in cloud based virtual systems hosted on the platform and assigning a set of encrypted keys to each and every one of them.
Too bad the game publishers are often too cheap to set this up, and would rather just grab the profits but shift both the risk and the blame to end users.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the big problem with paid mods is that most mods aren't worth paying for, and most modders start out making mods that aren't worth paying for. There needs to be an incentive to release smaller mods for free, because a garbagefest of nickel-and-dime cosmetic crap is something that will turn people off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom