Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steampunk Tabletop RPG?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, I'm curious. I've gotten a bit of a taste for steampunk lately, and I'm wondering if there's a good rpg system out there based on a good, not shit but interesting and good steampunk world.

Telengard

Arcane
No. But there's been a lot of attempts, including a number of Kickstarters, so YMMV. Still, most of it is anime-steampunk.

The best so far is still FASA's Crimson Skies, and it's not even an RPG, but a strat. A distant second is the World-War-y Gear Krieg, if you can stand the Silhouette system and mechs (still have this book, if you want to know about it). And third is Deadlands, which is so thinly Steampunk that it might as well not even be called Steampunk. The rest is much more obviously Steampunk than the above, but also much more obviously shit.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
You can try Wolsung if you like that kind of stuff. It's a polish steam-punk RPG. Mind you, I'm not sure if it was translated to other languages.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I read something about a D20 steampunk thing 2 years ago but it obviously died too. I fear there's really not much aside the mentioned Wolsung but personally I do not like overblown cinematic action.

L'ennui

Magister
You could always use a generic system and apply steam punk bullshit to it. If you're not going for realism, Savage Worlds or FATE. If you are, GURPS (it probably even has a steampunkish source book somewhere).

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Technically, Vampire: Victorian Age could be translated to Steampunk, easily.

Andhaira

Arcane
There's Iron Kingdoms that uses the War Machine world as a basis. It's a d6 system and published by Privateer Press.

Major_Blackhart Yes, this one. It is good, the rulebook is gorgeous (full color) and the character generation is similar to WFRP and WFRP40K with a career based system. The game also features mechs (called Steamjacks) which players can use if they meet the requirements.

My main complaint thus far, and the reason I have not yet played it, is that spells are mostly limited to combat use. I prefer magic that can be used outside of combat as well aka for utility purposes.

:roll: What about now?
You might want to give Victoriana a try. The latest edition (3rd) doesn't go as much into politics or Dickensian misery as the second, and the setting is the early Victorian period (a metagame decision they made to lower the rate of fire from firearms, I'm sure), with some changes to the religions part of the setting to avoid offending some groups. The third edition has some mechanical improvements, but overall I like the 2nd better.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Great maybe I will take a look. I don't know a lot about the various pnp games but is there a one that's a D&D/Shadowrun/Pathfinder/Warhammer-famous? Since I usually play them in gameshops :)

Great maybe I will take a look. I don't know a lot about the various pnp games but is there a one that's a D&D/Shadowrun/Pathfinder/Warhammer-famous? Since I usually play them in gameshops :)
When it comes to Steampunk, you are SOL. Most fans of the genre prefer LARP to tabletop, and the most well-known PnP games of the genre would be Castle Falkenstein and Victoriana... and the former has been out of print for the best part of 20 years, IIRC.

Maybe there's an official Savage Worlds setting available, or something like that, but I wouldn't know.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Blades in the Dark, although it's closer to Thief/Dishonored than Arcanum.

When it comes to Steampunk, you are SOL. Most fans of the genre prefer LARP to tabletop, and the most well-known PnP games of the genre would be Castle Falkenstein and Victoriana... and the former has been out of print for the best part of 20 years, IIRC.

Maybe there's an official Savage Worlds setting available, or something like that, but I wouldn't know.

That reminds me, there's Space 1889 (Savage Worlds version here, non-SW here)

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
I've heard some good things about Castle Falkenstein. Anybody have any experience with it? Mike Pondsmith's name attached has me intrigued, but the PDF ain't cheap at DriveThru ($20 last time I checked).

I've heard some good things about Castle Falkenstein. Anybody have any experience with it? Mike Pondsmith's name attached has me intrigued, but the PDF ain't cheap at DriveThru ($20 last time I checked).
I never got around to playing it (I was too busy with Cyberpunk 2020 and Kult back then), but a friend of mine owned the corebook and had good things to say about the setting. Not so sure about the system, though, and I can't help you there, sorry.

If you want to get the PDF, I'd wait for a sale - R. Talsorian Games' PDFs aren't all that great (they are pretty much scans of the old manuals, with the possible exception of Cyberpunk V3, which is post-2000).

nikolokolus

Arcane
I never got around to playing it (I was too busy with Cyberpunk 2020 and Kult back then), but a friend of mine owned the corebook and had good things to say about the setting. Not so sure about the system, though, and I can't help you there, sorry.

If you want to get the PDF, I'd wait for a sale - R. Talsorian Games' PDFs aren't all that great (they are pretty much scans of the old manuals, with the possible exception of Cyberpunk V3, which is post-2000).
Found a dead-tree version on Amazon for $18, ($2 cheaper than the PDF on Drive Thru). Just skimming so far, but the fluff is really good and the mechanics seem easy enough to replace if you don't like them. Feels like reading a piece of fiction more than a dry game manual, I can see why it was so well received when it first came out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom