Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man the BUTTHURT in the Stellaris forum is glorious. People really like to LARP their favorite scifi series ingame apparently and the different FTL travel methods were vital for that

Man the BUTTHURT in the Stellaris forum is glorious. People really like to LARP their favorite scifi series ingame apparently and the different FTL travel methods were vital for that

Can't really blame them. Paradox is removing game features and the feature they are removing is probably the most important feature with regards to empire uniqueness and game replayability. Aside from what hyperdrive you use the only real decision that matters is whether you go for research ("tall") or minerals ("smart"), all of the other empire customization options are about focusing on one of those two. I guess games shouldn't be released in an early alpha state where major features might need to be scrapped?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I kinda agree but simultaneously the game simply didn't work with all these funky FTL travel systems and so on. I really dont think there was a way to improve the tremendously boring combat other than this

The game "worked" just fine. To draw an analogy, Checkers "works" as a game, Chess is a better game, but plenty of people still like to play Checkers.

I agree that the new FTL setup creates a better overall game but it also creates a new game and it's not invalid to like the old one. It's a fundamentally different type of change from e.g. CK2 adding in that coaltion bullshit (which was eventually disablable in options anyway!)

Stellaris combat is unsalvageable, anyone who thinks FTL has anything to do with the problems is delusional.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm having fun right now, LARPing my way through the Star Trek mod as the ruthless Sheliak Corporate.
And what kind of intelligent life do I meet first?
Ferengi :?

They have a point thought. In current state Stellaris only good for LARPing purposes :lol:

all they had to do was to force travels through the nearest ftl inhibitor, as citadels do in eu4. after all if good placing of inhibitors fucks up your invasions plans it's all the defenders merit.
fuck removing fun =_=

Jason Liang

Arcane
I read through that whole post. I can understand why they would change Wormholes, the Wormhole generator implementation was stupid to begin with. But why get rid of warp drives? They're just being lazy.

Warp+Hyperlane seems like the obvious win-win.

Also, the obvious way to differentiate Wormholes from Hyperlanes is to make all Wormholes (even the natural ones) one-way only. Enter at your own risk.

Hellion

Arcane
Sneak peek of the upcoming War Goals system:

23213318_1986346114967957_7092552567038420553_o.jpg

inb4 space diplomats required to fabricate claims on systems?

Most likely just pay influence for instant claim. Resource management, you see, choices and consequences. Deep (derp) gameplay, such improvements, much wow.

Here I was expecting it just to be a "select provinces that you'd be interested in" system like how EU4 handles provinces of interest (which lets you see where the AI is angry about expanding and where it wants to blob). But requiring influence to conquer is definitely the kind of shit Paradox would add to slow down expansion. If that's it then Influence is now literally paper mana.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
In EU you're not bound by claims, you can demand whatever territory you want in peace "negotiations". In EU4 specifically, claims are basically casi belli + slightly less expensive coring afterwards. Might be the same here, but I have a suspicion that it won't.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yeah I think it's a terrible idea. Let Stelllaris be Stellaris, not CK2/ EU IV in space. Like the way Alpha Centauri ended up its own unique thing, not "Civ II in space."

Jason Liang

Arcane
So let's work on that. How to make the boring and tedious parts interesting and stimulating?

Granted I haven't played Stellaris in over a year, but I think one problem with Stellaris is that all your threats are narratively external, when what has worked for CK and EU is to make internal threats credible.

As your empire expands, you make some parts autonomous, but eventually those autonomous parts desire great independence, etc...

Stellaris' problem is it lacks funk.

At some point, it needs a moment where the player realizes that they're actually the Galactic Empire.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom