Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I must object, Catholics in Stellaris should be Gelgameks.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DD
Hello everyone!

We are back with a dev diary outlining some of the changes we’re making to megastructures in a future update. We’ve recently felt that the Galactic Wonders ascension perk feels a little bloated when it unlocked up to 8 different things, in addition to it being a little awkward that you suddenly got access to so many vastly more powerful structures.

We didn’t like that Galactic Wonders became so much of a non-choice due to unlocking so many things, so it will now be possible to unlock most of the megastructures without having to dedicate an ascension perk for it.

Galactic Wonders
We are making some changes to Galactic Wonders so that it no longer unlocks all megastructures, but rather only unlocks the most powerful megastructures. In addition, they are also unlocked as technology options rather than as finished schemes ready for construction. This means that you will still have to research the technology to build a Dyson Sphere, which also means it becomes a choice if you want to first focus on the Dyson Sphere or the Matter Decompressor (they are both Physics technologies).

index.php

Megastructures
The other megastructures – Strategic Coordination Center, Mega Art Installation, Interstellar Assembly, Science Nexus and Sentry Array – are now instead of their own unique technologies. It is now possible to build these without having the Galactic Wonders ascension perk.

index.php

The megastructures are split into different research categories. Strategic Coordination Center, Mega Art Installation and Interstellar Assembly are all Society research. Science Nexus and Sentry Array are Physics. All of these new technologies have mega-engineering as their prerequisite.

At the same time we are also taking the opportunity to look over the placement rules for megastructures, as they were not entirely consistent. The 5 mentioned here above should now follow similar rules for placement.

Olinser

Savant
So they're making Megastructures EVEN WORSE by demanding an additional rare tech to unlock the lackluster bonuses, and still not adding a food, alloy, or consumer goods producer.

Typical.

Delterius

Arcane
As far as structures are concerned, the only real gamechanger remains an early to midgame Acropolis, wether you inherit it from the First League or otherwise. At times Gaia Terraforming in the midgame to truly grow a very specific xenophobic/life-seeded empire. Everything else is mostly a matter of what flavour you want with your 'win-more' Ascension perk by having a nice, centralized way to jumpstart your growing economy. If you're playing tall, a Science Nexus is worth its wait in credits. If you're wide, Dyson Spheres and Matter Decompressors can be nicer than microing half a galaxy's worth of specialized planets.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm using vanila. Either paradox would learn to make game, or well theirs games should be for free and moders would make a game from it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing for the first time with ST:New Horizons after the Le Guin update (no other mods, no idea what is or isn't compatible with New Horizons, probably nothing is).

And I nearly wrecked my game early on by conquering a planet and enslaving the population.
Damn, those changes really require you to put some planning into stuff. Before that update, I could just conquer around as I pleased and it didn't do much. But this time, my economy went from all plus to -20 negative in almost every major resource :lol:
I think it took me 2-3 years to get things back to positive. And even now, my energy & mineral production is actually lower than what it used to be - conquering a slave-planet really is a long term investment now, huh?

Anyway, I must say I like the new changes, mostly.
What I don't like is - as usual - the lack of information in the interface. The game does a shitty job at telling you many things. For example, happiness at my freshly conquered slave planet was 0. Makes sense, of course, but it just doesn't show WHY the score is 0. Just that the base is 50 and I get -50 from unhappy population. As to why the population is unhappy: Guess because they're slaves, but it would be helpful to have an actual list of reasons.

chuft

Augur
The time scales seem way off. The fleets moving and fighting is incredibly slow, yet the other stuff is incredibly fast.

A number of times I was watching a fleet battle - not participating in it, mind you, since it won't let you, but at least watching it - and it kept getting interrupted by blurbs about research being done, systems being surveyed, anomalies being found, anomalies being researched or failed, mines being built, buildings being completed etc. It seemed like a thousand year battle, and entire civilizations rose and fell between salvos of torpedoes. In theory I could wait until after the battle was done before issuing new orders to all the units involved in the blurbs, but in practice, since this is a real time game, that would mean researchers/ships/whatevers would be sitting idle, wasting time.

Imagine Palpatine trying to watch the Death Star firing on Rebel cruisers, and he keeps getting interrupted "Which social research should we continue with?" "The farm is complete, should be build any other buildings anywhere?" "The survey is done on that remote system, nothing interesting, where should they go next?" "Will you stop interrupting me! I am trying to watch this battle! It took hours of real time just to set it up!"

i understand bashing paradox because it's national sport here, but why making things up? if there's one thing players complain about stellaris battles is that they're way too fast and there's plenty of mods who lenghten them, going as far as +500% hp for ships.
nigga please, get the fuck out.

Decided to try Stellaris again after reading there was a 2.2 patch that got rid of the retarded tile system. The new system of jobs, buildings, strata is more interesting.

The battles still take a ridiculous amount of time and I am typically interrupted at least 7 times while watching a battle because of systems surveyed, anomalies found, construction finished etc. I have weapons whose cooldown between shots is eight days. Orbital bombardment seems worthless and the ground combat sometimes results in me winning instantly, and sometimes losing all my guys and having to retreat, when facing what appear to be equivalent forces each time.

I get now what they are trying to go for - the same thing Sword of the Stars did with their 4 minute battle rounds - the idea is you can't jump in and instantly win battles, there should be time for the enemy to respond with reinforcements. I get that. But the implementation is kind of dumb - the battles take months and have tons of irrelevant interruptions, rather than being fought in rounds with retreats for resupply.

Pressing on to see what happens. The enemy AI seems retarded, they are all weak, maybe that is the difficulty I picked, or maybe they can't handle the new jobs/strata/district system. The Fallen Empire I saw, on the other hand, just seems ridiculous. I hope it doesn't attack me, it is 1/10th my size with 60 times my forces.

chuft

Augur
Waged a war of subjugation (my first one) against an empire who was in a federation. I occupied all of his systems (19) except one (20) I did not notice that was not connected to the others.

I then did Status Quo. Got some confusing messages and then his empire, still part of the federation, turned into a two-system empire, one system with a planet, and the cut off unoccupied system. No vassal. The other 18 systems I had occupied became Unclaimed. WTF?

chuft

Augur
By the way how do you trade with other empires instead of the market? I tried it via the Diplomacy interface to try to trade 5,000 minerals for something and it wanted me to click once for each trade good. Like 5,000 times. And again on the other empires side. Surely that is not the only interface for this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom