Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If this is like EU in space.

They already confirmed that end-game is basicaly EU in space.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
it's latin, and means "belonging to the stars".
Yes thank you very much, Captain Obvious. <insert "a way to miss the point picture" here>. :D

this is something i never understood. paradox games ARE turn based, every day is a single turn. do they keep telling this lie because the average retard is scared of turns?
One could argue that following this logic most games in existence are turn based... turns can be seconds, frames or whatever is the smallest division of time any given game uses in practice that has a gameplay significance. Let's just not go there... :D

Last edited:
no, absolutely not, because in real time everything happens at its given moment, in eu games every thing happens only when the day changes and every day can be paused indefinitely. it works on turns, but because they're thousands and in many of them nothing worth of mention happens we've been given this autoskip.

also, which would the point be? i see a person saying "this word makes on sense" and i answer saying that word actually makes perfect sense. aws the point "i'm ignorant and this is retarded. the game i like needs to be titled "let's conquer all the oil in the universe in the name of 'murica""?

blow me. i only don't want ignorance to spread everywhere.
now go back watching the latest episode of "american idol".

Old One

Arcane
Turn-based has nothing to do with arbitrary segments of time passing. It requires more than one side or team, one of which is acting (it's turn) while the other or others are idle and waiting for their turn. Example: chess.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Your comparison only works for EU though or I guess you could modify it to say that HOI has 1 hour turns.

They mentioned POPs, so my bet is on amalgam of EU with Vic.
According to the hype machine it will aim to be an amalgamation of all their big internal titles. So it'll have features of EU, CK, HOI and Vicky, in a procedurally generated galaxy. The idea to avoid the usual pitfalls of the 4X genre by changing the focus of the gameplay as the scope of the game grows is excellent on paper but would be very difficult to pull off.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They said POPs will have factions, which is almost identical to VicII political parties that population gravitate to. Judging that Vicy was not their most popular and cash grab series, it's most probable that they decided to scrap it and try a new franchise that'll utilize most useful parts of Vic mechanics.

the number of people throwing insults without offering any argument is staggeringly high.
codex, what happened to you? you were cool.

Old One

Arcane
because simultaneous turns never happened on this plane of existence.
You can have simultaneous actions, but then the system is no longer turn-based. Battlefront's Combat Mission games are a perfect example. Each "turn" is one minute long. Both sides plan their actions, then they execute simultaneously for 60 seconds. Then both sides stop and plan their actions for the next "turn." But this is not a turn-based system; it's one incarnation of a phase-based system because there is a planning phase and an action phase where everything happens all at once.

Your confusion comes from the use of the word "turn" to describe increments of time. As I said, increments of time have nothing to do with whether or not you have a turn-based system, a phase-based system, or a real-time system. It's only a turn-based system if I take my turn, then you take your turn, then I take my turn again, as in the phrase, "taking turns."

Old One

Arcane

It's phase-based, not turn-based. There is a planning phase followed by an action phase followed by another planning phase.

Each turn, the player gives orders to their troops, previews probable effects of those orders, and submits them to the LSN server via the web interface, or through email. Orders are resolved simultaneously...

Again, the confusion comes from the use of the word "turn."

Think of it this way: if you can substitute the word "round" in place of "turn" and it still makes sense, it's not turn-based.

In the above quote you could say, "Each round the player gives orders..." and it still makes sense. The word "round" is even used later on in the article as a synonym for "turn." But you can't say, "It's my round," or "After I finish my round it will be your round." It doesn't make sense because in that context the word has a different meaning.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
He's a fucking retard, save your time and stop arguing with the moron. You'll have an happier life. The utter inability to distinguish between turn-based and phase-based should be enough of a warning.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Q:We DO know how combat works. It is hands-off, just like every Pdx game. You cannot control your ships in combat, but you can see them fight.
A: This is correct, but without going to much into the details as I am not allowed yet, there are a lot of choices you can do in order to tip the battle in your favor (ship customization etc) and simply looking at the combat is the most gratifying out of all our games... especially when large armadas clash!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Huge chunk of info
General
  • Built in the Clausewitz engine, the engine that powers EU4 and CKII
  • Pausable real-time with speed control, like other Clausewitz games
  • Will be released simultaneously for Windows, Mac, and Linux
  • Supposed to be a marriage between GSG and 4x games
  • In the early stages you will concentrate on exploration and colonization
  • Mid-game is concerned with imperial governance and diplomacy
  • There are two known victory conditions (conquest and technology) but there is no end date
  • Seamless zooming from viewing individual planetary bodies up to viewing the entire galaxy
  • Influenced by a huge number of different sci-fi franchises and stories
  • Influenced by a variety of games: other Paradox games, Distant Worlds, Sword of the Stars, Civilization, etc.
  • Little to no automation of features; they don't want to create systems the player doesn't actually interact with
  • Variation is key; they want to avoid the game being predictable and devolving into an optimization problem
Map
  • Each Map will be randomly created and covers a galaxy. Maps can vary in size
  • Starts are largely symmetrical unlike previous PDS games
  • Currently 1000 star systems is the cap. Each star system also has its own amount of planets.
  • The map is generated with both a number of single-system empires capable of FTL (starting with a science ship, construction ship, and a military fleet), and other species in various earlier stages of development
  • Pre-defined maps can be modded in
  • The map includes nebulas, voids, and other features that get in the way of FTL travel
  • Details of other empires are unknown at game start
Technology and construction
  • Technology functions more like a deck of cards than a traditional tech tree, making it more varied from campaign to campaign
  • Each faction chooses 1 of 3 faster than light technologies near the beginning of the game:
    • Hyperlane travel is fast, but is limited to an existing layout of connections between star systems
    • Warp travel is slower but provides freedom of movement
    • Wormhole travel requires stations to be constructed at the edge of star systems, but allow for longer jumps
  • Technology divided into three categories: Physics, Social and Engineering
  • Science ships behave similarly to hero units
  • These scientists can gain traits that may hinder or help future experiments
  • Science ships can scan and analyze debris left behind by battles
  • Science ships will attempt to conduct missions (Fail a mission and the technology will be lost forever)
  • Some traits may seem terrible but will be the key to unlocking some of the more dangerous and esoteric technologies in the game
  • Technology is gained semi-randomly and is influenced by the ethics of your empire as well as the traits and demographics of the scientists in charge of each department.
  • Space bases and minefields can be built outside systems to protect common travel paths
  • Exploring the local star systems with a scientist leading the team
    • Option to scan planets for resources
    • Early discoveries leading to different ends depending on choices made
  • Option to influence the development of planetbound races by either watching from afar or getting involved
  • Fallen empires which are technologically advanced but unable/unwilling to rebuild or repair are a high risk/ high reward target for technologies
  • Technology unlocks can include both improvements to existing capabilities, and things like political edicts
Events
  • Events differ in range from a single planet to your entire empire
  • There are very few hardcoded events
  • Late-Game catastrophes are possible (Examples are AI revolts or Warp Tears)
    • Possible for more than one catastrophe to occur in a single campaign, but each subsequent catastrophe is less likely
  • Some events include branching storylines
  • Events recorded in Quest log
  • No comet sighted event yet
Diplomacy and Warfare
  • Galactic federations can be formed or joined
    • Start out as simple alliances that are upgraded to a federation
    • Led by president elected at regular intervals
    • President controls foreign policy of entire federation
    • President can also build ships using modules of all races in federation (Leading to combinations found no where else)
    • Federation has a shared fleet, but members do keep their own fleets as well
  • Similar to in Europa Universalis 4. Has things like alliances, non-aggression pacts, civilian access, military access, etc.
  • Peace agreement system similar to Europa Universalis 4 and Victoria II
  • Need claims in order to conquer planets
Military
  • Ships are customizable; they can be equipped with weapons, reactors, engines, etc.
  • Obsolete ships can be updated at the cost of time and money
  • Each unit will be able to be seen in combat
  • No direct control of tactical situation
  • Like in other Paradox games, combat cannot be controlled directly and there are no separate maps for the combat itself
  • Fleets can be commanded by admirals who can have a variety of traits
  • Ground forces can be led by generals who can have a variety of traits
Planets
  • Each planet consists of a number of tiles
    • These tiles can be individually developed by workers or robots. The numbers of workers available is based on population
    • Manage the building location and resource extraction on planets
    • Certain parts of a planet may be blocked by dangerous wildlife or sinkholes that have to be dealt with if one wishes to build upon them
    • Adjacent similar buildings will provide bonuses to each other
    • Different tiles have different bonuses and penalties
  • You can appoint a governor for each planet
    • Affect what goes on on the planet, sometimes autotonomously
  • Specialization of planets is necessary to do well
  • For some planets it may make more sense to mine them from orbit rather than colonize them
Species
  • The player can choose from 7 pre-made species, or design their own within 6 species groups
  • Created from 6 species types for a race to be grouped into: molluscoid, mammalian (which includes humans), fungoid, avian, insectoid, and reptilian
  • Every alien species that you encounter will be unique to your game, concocted from a long list of physical traits and social behaviors. The AI will never use the pre-made species
    • Species traits include bonuses to various aspects (E.G., production or research), and more specific traits such as "xenophobic", "religious", "isolationist", or "pacifist"
    • During creation, species' technology and ethics are defined
    • Governing ethics are chosen from one of eight. Currently known are "individualist", "xenophile", "xenophobic", and "spiritualist"
    • These choices affect what actions are available. A xenophilic empire for example don't get the option to capture and enslave aliens
    • At least thousands of possible combinations
  • There are around a hundred animated portraits to represent each race in game
  • Every species has a backstory
  • There will be planet bound species to monitor as well. You can passively watch or add in abductions and surgeries
    • These planet bound species can be genetically modified and controlled or you can commit genocide against them
Population
  • Uses a POP system similar to Victoria II
  • Population units (POPs) can have their own species, ethics, and grievances
  • Population units each have an ethos or ideology
  • Unhappy populations will attempt to change government or splinter into factions
    • Factions can be negotiated with, treated harshly, or destroyed when they rebel
    • Factions can take actions short of outright rebellion, such as sabotaging the nation's religion
  • There are no religions in the game, but ethics and traits that reflect a catch-all set of religious values
  • There's no culture in the game
  • Demographics has effects on other areas of the game such as scientific discoveries
Multiplayer
  • The game will have multiplayer
  • The game will have hotjoin (joining in-progress multiplayer games)
  • Probably no player limit
Characters
  • Named characters play a big part in the game
  • A middle ground between Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis 4 characters
  • No dynasties or marriage
  • Each character has traits, as well as other advantages and disadvantages, similar to Crusader Kings II
  • Types of characters includes colony leaders, admirals, generals, and scientists
  • Characters don't interact with one another in any significant way
  • Characters can lead factions

Last edited:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
  • There will be planet bound species to monitor as well. You can passively watch or add in abductions and surgeries
    • These planet bound species can be genetically modified and controlled or you can commit genocide against them
:incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Warhammer-40000-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-%D1%8D%D0%BA%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%83%D1%81-gif-674877.gif

The AGCEEP mod for 2 was insanely in-depth and branching though.

Try the Plvs Vltra mod with For The Glory - AGCEEP with the WATKBAOI map.

I'd prefer the human-centric and ideological/societal conflict settings in the vein of Dune, Fading Suns, Battletech etc to Humans vs Space Bears vs Crystals vs Insects type thing.

Same here.
I wanted something more like a post-modern/late modernity futuristic game where the nations/corporations/factions of a Terra going to hell start to colonize the cosmos, starting with the solar system then going away. Think starting from nuclear rockets and Orion drives, interstellar travel only in generation ships, then progressing to FTL and exploring nearby star systems.

Its a pity that the Planet will probably be the smallest dominion, because if we could include multilpe factions in the same planet there would be fantastic potential... The Great Game Stellaris mod, anyone?

Great Master, one of our scouting ships in Planet Pholus just disappeared. Last transmissions say that they were being tailed by primitive airjets of surpringly great speed. Sensor data last found in the area is compatible with debris from one of our scout ships being hit with a powerful explosive device, one which may have crashed it planetside. Our scouts may have been attacked by the natives, or possibly one of our rivals. Your orders?
- Send a detachment after the crashed ship
- Contact the native authorities, ask for our crashed ship or else
- The natives are too primitive, I'm sure our rivals are involved.
- Don't bother me, fool!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom