Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steve Perlman speaks on "OnLive"

Pablosdog

Prophet
hey just spews nuggets of poo flaked with other peoples dung remains.

sah

Liturgist
80ms is imperceptible? what a fucking joke

It's like morons saying that the human eye doesn't perceive more than 30fps. The difference between 30 and 120 fps is noticeable to anyone who actually plays games.

sah

Liturgist
Yes, there's an actual demonstration of the system in action.

LazyD

Liturgist
in one of those vids he said it would be released by winter 2009....

MetalCraze

Arcane
sah said:
80ms is imperceptible? what a fucking joke

It's like morons saying that the human eye doesn't perceive more than 30fps. The difference between 30 and 120 fps is noticeable to anyone who actually plays games.

80 ms is 12 FPS. Also it's a huge controller lag.
OnHoax is just OnHoax.

The presentation is fake of course - if I'll put a server in the next room I'll too have a good ping. Provided all of it is rendered on that server in the next room and isn't just even more fake.

Merlutz

Novice
sah said:
The difference between 30 and 120 fps is noticeable to anyone who actually plays games.
Of course, the difference between 60 and 120 fps is completely imperceptible (assuming your refresh rate is 60Hz).

But if you can't call out a latency of 80ms then you simply don't play games. Then there's packet loss. Also the fact that it's input lag, which is what would really render this unplayable.

Only reason I clicked on this was because I saw 'Pearlman', and thought 'Ron Pearlman'.

Then wondered why he would even care.

Kraszu

Prophet
The only new information reveled was that when your closest server will be overloaded then you may be reconnected to some other one that have they 80ms cap.

sah

Liturgist
Merlutz said:
sah said:
The difference between 30 and 120 fps is noticeable to anyone who actually plays games.
Of course, the difference between 60 and 120 fps is completely imperceptible (assuming your refresh rate is 60Hz).

You may be assuming too much. :smug: 120Hz LCD monitors are possible, although I only know of two relatively popular models that are available right now.

TNO

Augur
Flicker fusion frequency under ideal conditions is around 20-30 Hz. However, thanks to your visual system not being synced to the monitor, phase differences can still give perceptible effects higher than this.

But yeah, this looks like vapourware.

Elzair

Cipher
Once again, it does not matter if the tech is sound. The value proposition is completely bonkers.

Xi

Arcane
The value proposition is absolutely amazing though. You would be paying less money and getting a much higher quality of service, one that you can cancel and restart at any time, with the option to buy far more games, and try more demos/rent.

It's hard to say how this service will be accepted by the masses, but it essentially makes PC the most powerful and affordable platform. Also, you'll start to see numerous publishers sign on when this thing launches soon.

For the people who currently pirate, it makes sense that you would be resistant to a platform that makes you buy software. However, when you do not have to spend loads of money building an adequate PC for gaming the actual cost is much lower.

It creates more profit for publishers, and small development studios, which may translate into an ability to take more risk during game design.

Of course, all of this has yet to be seen, but those calling this vaporware are astonishingly stupid. This will be a reality, and may be the next iteration of PC gaming. I'm sure many of you will still be clinging to your materialistic mindset and will require the industry to peel your aging PCs from your cold dead hands. The whole "time is relative" argument makes a lot of sense in this regard. Your perception of how gaming should remain is relative to the fact that time marches on without you.

lol

Mattresses

Scholar
yeh man can't wait until I'm forced to rent games instead of buying. way of the future, not herald of death of the industry at all.

Xi said:
It's hard to say how this service will be accepted by the masses, but it essentially makes PC the most powerful and affordable platform.

It turns PC into a fucking console. Even worse, it turns the PC into a fucking console operating on Steam and only on Steam.

Go fuck your dog.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't see the appeal of having to be connected to the internet to play a single-player game.

Plus I have a bandwidth cap, so OnLive has zero appeal to me even if the games were free to play.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Xi said:
This will be a reality, and may be the next iteration of PC gaming.
Sure, and EA found a secret of FTL travel and will teleport data right into your house through little hyperspace gates to avoid ping higher than 4-10ms, and will pay for $2000 PCs while taking only $20 from you meaning OnHoax group also invented the infinite money well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom