Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steve Perlman speaks on "OnLive"

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Emotional Vampire said:
It turns PC into a fucking console. Even worse, it turns the PC into a fucking console operating on Steam and only on Steam.

Even if it somehow magically worked like they're hyping, because of the above (along with not being able to mod, use memory editors/trainers to mess around etc.) I hope that this fails miserably and will be buried forever.

Ron Perlman is way cooler, let's talk about him. Sons of Anarchy 4 lyfe, yo!

Twinkle

Liturgist
The value proposition

...is zero for anyone who has something called "brains". PC components are dirt cheap these days. Hurr, laggy 720p with 30 fps require sooo much.

Also, LOL @ idiots who hype OnLive as a new era of PC gaming. Fucking "Personal" means that you can do anything you want with the game you bought/torrented. OnLive and co remove "personal" aspect completely. If you desperately want someone to decide what you can do on your PC just go and buy console already.

Arem

Scholar
Onlive preview under suboptimal conditions.

blurry 720p, controller works better than m+kb, lower visual quality due to preset settings, lag, UT3 was unplayable.

Arem said:
Onlive preview under suboptimal conditions.

blurry 720p, controller works better than m+kb, lower visual quality due to preset settings, lag, UT3 was unplayable.

So basically Onlive works good if you play with shitty inaccurate controls to mask its shitty response time, if you yourself are blind and deaf so that you can't realize the quality difference, if you don't have the $500 to buy a gaming system and instead want to sign away $20 a month for the rest of your life, and if the game you are playing requires no decent response times at all.

Who would have thought it?

Emotional Vampire said:
So WHAT were those "suboptimal conditions"?

Not having a direct network connection to the server farm 10 feet away, and not having Steve Perlman's cock in your mouth while you play. It takes away a lot of the Onlive experience apparently.

Xi

Arcane
If you read the conclusions, the author mentions that he is impressed with the service. He also mentions that Onlive may not have directly implemented hardware in the area he was in at the ISP level. This, as Onlive has said, makes latency better. It's still developing, and as of now it appears to be on the right track.

No one is saying you have to pay for this service, most people won't use it, but you can try it for a fraction of the cost of buying an entirely new PC. That alone makes it worth it.

It's the money saved that interests me. Let the retards invest 2,000 every few years on a new PC. I'm so tired of that, done it numerous times over the years and I'm just done now. I'll try onlive when it goes live, and if I don't like it, who cares. I'll just cancel it and move on.

The major point being that it will be available very soon.(To those who were calling it vaporware) lol

Edit:

Also, it appears like the author of the article was outside of the 1000 mile limit. Again, very promising results. It still has yet to be seen what kind of latency you'll get inside the range, but the problem stems mostly from the fact that not all the server farm locations are active yet. So, he connected to a suboptimal server and had slightly increased latency as a result. So very good, IMHO. One user of their forum put him at 1900 miles away form the server. /shrug

1900 miles averaging 80-85ms? Awesome.

Xi said:
It's the money saved that interests me. Let the retards invest 2,000 every few years on a new PC.
You have to be retarded to think a good PC costs $2k. For $500 you could get one that runs any game currently released, and upgrading any crappy PC would only take about $100-150.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You have to be retarded to spend money on upgrading PC. For the past 3 years there was not a single reason to upgrade and a new PC bought from scratch that will handle absolutely everything costs about $500 yes

Kraszu

Prophet
2000$? Where do people get those prices from? Write what you had brought, when and for how much.

MetalCraze said:
You have to be retarded to spend money on upgrading PC. For the past 3 years there was not a single reason to upgrade and a new PC bought from scratch that will handle absolutely everything costs about $500 yes

Also PC for 500$ will play games on better resolution then 1024x768, and picture will be much sharper then in video stream.

Armacalypse

Scholar
Xi said:
It's the money saved that interests me. Let the retards invest 2,000 every few years on a new PC. I'm so tired of that, done it numerous times over the years and I'm just done now.
So Xi was one of those retards who bought overpriced computers for 2000$, and now he's blaming the PC market for his own stupidity, using Onlive as a way to rebel against and bitch about it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Kraszu said:
2000$? Where do people get those prices from? Write what you had brought, when and for how much.

It was a retarded fanboi defence of XBawks kids back in the days, probably fueled by M$ hype along the lines of "why should you pay $2000 to constantly upgrade your PC when you can just buy supercool new top XBawks for just $299 and run all the top-tech games right away!"

Xi

Arcane
I think I averaged about 1200 per build actually. That's still a lot of money for something that you use mostly to surf the web with. What games are even worth playing these days?

I own a Netbook anymore. It plays all the oldies, does all my word processing and web surfing, and allows me to youtube like it was going out of style. Also, it has an average of 7.5 hours of battery life, and weighs just over 2lbs.

Fuck your lame expensive PCs, I'll gladly spend a little bit of money when I see a game I want to p[lay come out. Then when I'm done playing, I'll cancel the service until I see anotherone.

Value Proposition? Fucking insane by any comparison that any fo you fuckwits have been able to come up with.

Kraszu

Prophet
Xi said:
I think I averaged about 1200 per build actually. That's still a lot of money for something that you use mostly to surf the web with. What games are even worth playing these days?

I own a Netbook anymore. It plays all the oldies, does all my word processing and web surfing, and allows me to youtube like it was going out of style. Also, it has an average of 7.5 hours of battery life, and weighs just over 2lbs.

Fuck your lame expensive PCs, I'll gladly spend a little bit of money when I see a game I want to p[lay come out. Then when I'm done playing, I'll cancel the service until I see anotherone.

Value Proposition? Fucking insane by any comparison that any fo you fuckwits have been able to come up with.

1)You are overpaying for your PC
2)You are compering service that produce grapchics quality of stream in 1024x768 to a good PC. Lets take 3yearsx20$=720$=onlive proposition is a joke value wise, there will also be entry fees probably. 720$ will easily generate better grapchics then onlive.
3)You are naive if you think that you can take onlive for a month, pay 20$, and cancel it, there will be entry, and likely you will have to sing it for longer period or alweys pay some fee when you want to reconnect to the service. Every service telephones, internet etc. works that way exactly to stop people from buying only when they are using it. If you could just buy it for month for 20$ then they would most of they revenue, and they costs are high.

Xi

Arcane
Kraszu said:
2)You are compering service that produce grapchics quality of stream in 1024x768 to a good PC. Lets take 3yearsx20$=720$=onlive proposition is a joke value wise, there will also be entry fees probably. 720$ will easily generate better grapchics then onlive.
3)You are naive if you think that you can take onlive for a month, pay 20$, and cancel it, there will be entry, and likely you will have to sing it for longer period or alweys pay some fee when you want to reconnect to the service. Every service telephones, internet etc. works that way exactly to stop people from buying only when they are using it. If you could just buy it for month for 20$ then they would most of they revenue, and they costs are high.

Like I said. It's better even if you pay for it the entire time, however, it's much better if you use the service on the fly as needed. Then the value proposition is much better.

There has been no talk of "activation fees" as you suggest. In fact, having such a thing would be punishing to those who don't want to pay for the service long-term, and would cut into the profit margin gained from game purchases. The system generates plenty of wealth without the things you suggest.

People who complain of having to pay for internet service are just as bizarre. These same people have had access to the internet for numerous years prior, without any indication of shutting it down, and yet now they complain. Utterly stupid argument.

Finally, the quality of the service will improve over time. The quality of the video, along with the compression, Internet bandwidth, etc will increase. So the comparison that was made by the lame duck tester, from over 2000 miles away from the server, using the lowest quality of test connections, is not an accurate measurement of quality. Again, the value proposition is better than the existing model.

Will everyone use this service? Will it replace PCs as we know it? I doubt it. Hardcore gamers will still build high end systems, families will still want to own some type of PC(If you've been into a local Best Buy lately, you'll notice that they display/sell an alarmingly high amount of Laptops to Desktops.), and the industry will move forward with a new option for the people who don't want to invest an arm/leg into the industry just to play a single game they are interested.

The resistance is just stupid for the reasons I have stated above. If the service was impossible it would have died a long time ago. They will be releasing this sooner than later(definitely this year), and when they do, the service will only increase in quality as time goes on. Will the service catch on? Hard to say, but I'm betting that it will. Even if they only get 1,000,000 user after the first two years, that's a huge success if you think about the money exchange and the better value of that exchange for the customer, developers, and health of the video game industry.

/meh

Xi

Arcane
Grunker said:
What about modding, Xi?

Nothing changes for modders. Buy a PC, download/purchase the tools you need, and pray that developers release some type of toolkit with the game. Onlive doesn't replace the entire system. It just adds an option for folks who don't want to purchase or upgrade an expensive PC platform.

Onlive is not do or die, balls to the wall, all out, a replacement of PCs. That's what people who want the system to fail don't understand.

Also, I prefer a good game out of the box and rarely turn toward mods to either continue the experience or alter it. I could give a fuck less. I have not the skill to implement, only the skill to dream about design, like many Codexers, and for that reason, and for the fact that I will never again have the time to pursue such a dream without great backlash to my real life experience, modding is meaningless to me.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Keep dreaming Xi :D I understand that the service they paint is ideal to your situation but it doesn't look realistic or feasible, either technically or economically. Well, we'll see if/when it launches.

Kraszu

Prophet
Kraszu said:

Xi said:
Like I said. It's better even if you pay for it the entire time, however, it's much better if you use the service on the fly as needed. Then the value proposition is much better.

No 720$ over 3 years, even now when prices are high due to ram you will do much better. How can you even argue with that it is a fact if you build 720$PC every 3 years then for long time (Crysis is still the most demanding game) you will max the settings as it gets older you will have to lower it in some games vs alweys playing in low resolution with latency.

I would argue that you don't need to change PC every3 years anyway if you know what you are buying Crysis over 2 years old is still the most demanding, heck you can play in better quality then onlive offers on 8800GT that is over 3 years old, that is right if you had brought decent PC 3 years ago you don't really have to change it yet, and it looks like it will some time before you will have drop quality to lets say for example 1024x768 resolution, and even then it will not be for all games, most will still run in better resolution.

Xi said:
There has been no talk of "activation fees" as you suggest. In fact, having such a thing would be punishing to those who don't want to pay for the service long-term, and would cut into the profit margin gained from game purchases. The system generates plenty of wealth without the things you suggest.

I had said or

Xi said:
People who complain of having to pay for internet service are just as bizarre. These same people have had access to the internet for numerous years prior, without any indication of shutting it down, and yet now they complain. Utterly stupid argument.

LOL I was just listing services that all have activation fees or that you have to take for some period of time as an example.

Xi said:
Finally, the quality of the service will improve over time. The quality of the video, along with the compression, Internet bandwidth, etc will increase. So the comparison that was made by the lame duck tester, from over 2000 miles away from the server, using the lowest quality of test connections, is not an accurate measurement of quality. Again, the value proposition is better than the existing model.

Video stream will still be worse then graphics generated by your own PC. Also do you really want to buy trust us it will be better when you can simply buy a PC that works now as good as stream theoretically can? Also the latency can't disappear no matter what they will do it will alweys be worse then latency from your PC (quantum entanglement aside as nobody can be stupid enough to wait for that before his service will work like he wants)

Xi said:
If the service was impossible it would have died a long time ago.

It is in test phase :roll:

Kraszu

Prophet
Xi said:
Kraszu said:

So you agree, they have a functional system, and are fine tuning it to be rdy for the mass market? Good.

No, from what we know they have a system with all the problems that were described.

Xi

Arcane
Kraszu said:
Xi said:
Kraszu said:

So you agree, they have a functional system, and are fine tuning it to be rdy for the mass market? Good.

No, from what we know they have a system with all the problems that were described.

You're giving them shit because a guy had 85ms latency from 2000 miles away? That in itself proves that the service, in terms of latency, is possible. Also, the graphics debate is lame too, the beta account was configured to run a lower end configuration.

You're making leaping generalities about how the system fails to work based on someone who had a mediocre experience from well outside of the technical parameters. If a game is running with about 40-60ms latency, you don't think it will be playable? lol

1 second = 1000 milliseconds. "One one-thousand."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom