Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategical RPG's

Fango

Novice
Hi there! I've been watching this forum on and off for about 2 years, recently registered and finally decided to post!

Well - here goes,

One of my favorite things about RPG's is the strategical side-- Knowing your opponent's strengths and weaknesses, knowing your character, knowing your party, knowing which spells to cast and when, knowing which feats to use and when, knowing when to lure or to charge... etc. I've been playing NWN for almost 3 years now, in a server where you can't get anywhere without tactical-strategical party-play. Anyone has to know his role otherwise the party would do poorly. Healers were almost mandatory (and therefore common), and in most cases they had the most exciting role - keepnig everyone alive!

(Soloing was rather impossible except for the first 2 levels... you would need to have a special-build for soloing, and even then, you would go pretty slowly)

Well, anyway, lately I grew sick of NWN, but not of the genre; so I'm looking for a strategical party-play RPG (or even MMORPG if you can't recommand of anything besides...though with the monthly-fee, I'd be reluctant to get one unless it's really good).

Let me know if you can think of any!

Fango

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You liked NWN. You thought it had tatical combat. This proves your idiocy. You are a troll. ktnxbye.

Sarvis

Erudite
Volourn said:
You liked NWN. You thought it had tatical combat. This proves your idiocy. You are a troll. ktnxbye.

Umm... Volourn, YOU like NWN and think it had tactical combat.

The difference being he's talking about multiplayer where you actually can have party based tactics...

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Volourn said:

Troll: (verb) to utter a posting on Usenet intentionally designed to attract predictable
responses or flames; (noun) one who does this.

Fango is not a troll, he might just have a different interpretation of "tactics" from you. He might just be naive. He might not have stated himself clearly enough. He might just be wanting to know more and get some advice. Just maybe.

You are the troll Volourn.

Sarvis

Erudite
Finally my plan has come to fruition! MUHAHAHAHA.

Oh damn... wrong post count now! Nooooooooo!

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I know what we can do. Let one of the admins delete your last post and you NEVER post again. That ought to do the trick. ;)

Sarvis

Erudite
dojoteef said:
I know what we can do. Let one of the admins delete your last post and you NEVER post again. That ought to do the trick. ;)

Yeah, but think about it... do you guys REALLY want me to be your demonic overloard? :evil:

Fez

Erudite
Why not? I can think of worse. At least we could make fun of you and you'd just smile and nod as it all goes over your head.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Volourn said:

Troll: (verb) to utter a posting on Usenet intentionally designed to attract predictable
responses or flames; (noun) one who does this.

Fango is not a troll, he might just have a different interpretation of "tactics" from you. He might just be naive. He might not have stated himself clearly enough. He might just be wanting to know more and get some advice. Just maybe.

You are the troll Volourn.

that seemed to scare 'im off you could make a living saving people from Volourn

Fango

Novice
First of all - yes, I'm playing in a highly modified server (I'm sure I exemplified it in my first post), not something most of you probably played in NWN... rest is rationally limited and potions are incredibly costly, so yes, strategical party-play is necessary to success. Anyway, I gave enough input to it in my first post...

Well, I'll see what Guild Wars is about, thank you!

Edit; oh, heh, people who don't know what I'm talking about won't scare me off with any clueless "flames"... I went to sleep after the post.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Fango said:
Edit; oh, heh, people who don't know what I'm talking about won't scare me off with any clueless "flames"... I went to sleep after the post.

Ummm...

Just be careful what you say as Volourn is a canadian and evey one knows they is americans but with imbreading and lower IQ's

So just be carefull!

PS: Shagnak, if Volourn comes after me to call me an Idiot again please help me as I am sure he likes picking on poor defenceless people, he's probably the sorta guy that rapes comatose furries.

Edit: For grama, I apologise as english is a second lanuage and I is thick

Llyranor

Liturgist
I recall Wizardry VIII having very fun tactical party-based combat. A bit-slow paced, but the battle system is one of my favorites regardless.

k_bits

Scholar
I always kinda thought IceWind Dale played like a D&D version of Jagged Alliance. IIRC that had provisos for party play via LAN? Could be wrong: you might wanna ask the old timers here.

Sarvis

Erudite
Have you tried Temple of Elemental Evil? It's a proper rendition of 3.5E rules, turn based and you control the whole party.

Talorc

Liturgist
Llyranor said:
I recall Wizardry VIII having very fun tactical party-based combat. A bit-slow paced, but the battle system is one of my favorites regardless.

Wiz 7 is one of those "Your party is a big blob with multiple arms" style combats though. They really give me the shits, I like being able to individually move characters, so you can flank, put the fighters in place to intercept stuff going for the wizards etc.

And I totally second both Icewind Dale 2 (IWD 2) and Temple of Elemental Evil (ToEE) as very good Fantasy Tactical combat simulators. Both should still be available in software stores with a little bit of looking, for very cheap prices. In Australia I have seen IWD2 bundled with IWD + all the IWD expansions for not very much

Saran

Scholar
I agree with those that suggested the Icewind Dale series, you have complete control of your party and i enjoyed it a lot, which is pretty unusual when it comes to hack n' slash games.

I got IWD 1 and 2 along with heart of winter for 35 euro in Portugal, which is a damn good price when you consider how much gameplay you get out of it, and its probably available for around the same price online.

Sarvis

Erudite
Exitium said:
If you have a gameboy advance I would recommend Final Fantasy Tactics.

Err... you're kidding right? The version for the gameboy sucked. It was completely ruined by the fact that your party is way overpowered, you almost have to TRY to lose most of the fights. The only highpoint is developing your characters and finding all the new moves, the other major problem being that those moves are often copies of each other or just inferior to a couple of the good ones.

I mean, why the hell did fighting classes get ranged area attacks? That should have been the sole domain of mage classes... but because it wasn't there's no point in even playing a black mage.

EDIT: If you have a Playstation or PS2 get the original Final Fantasy Tactics, that one is so much better it isn't even funny!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, okay. You're right, but FFTA is probably one of the best tactical games on the GBA. However, I forgot about Ogre Battle 2, that's a lot better. It's made by the same company as well, before SquareEnix bought it.

If you have a PS2, get Phantom Brave.

Sarvis

Erudite
Exitium said:
Well, okay. You're right,

:shock: What's this? I mean... I usually AM right... but I think this is the first time anyone's ever <i>admitted</i> it! ;)

If you have a PS2, get Phantom Brave.

Is that good? I tried La Pucelle Tactics and didn't like it all that much, and Phantom Brave is by the same company... Pucelle Tactics wasn't bad or anything, I just kind of lost interest after a while.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
La Pucelle Tactics was bad in comparison to Phantom Brave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom