Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Streets of Rogue - action roguelite in a procedurally generated city

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://streetsofrogue.com

https://af.gog.com/game/streets_of_rogue?as=1649904300

Streets of Rogue is a rogue-lite about player choice, freedom, and anarchic fun. The game takes inspiration from fast-paced top-down rogue-lites like Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne, and adds free-form, experimentation-driven, emergent gameplay elements of RPGs like Deus Ex.

Rather than taking place in a dungeon, the game is set in a functioning, procedurally generated city, where complex AI informs denizens from all walks of life, who are just trying to get by in their daily activities.

In order to progress, the player will need to accomplish specific mission goals in any way they see fit through use of their special character traits, items, and the environment.

streets_of_rogue_longer_gif_copy.png

• SoldierTiny.png
    Will you play as a soldier who shoots first and asks questions later?
  • DoctorTiny.png
    A stealthy doctor who uses chloroform and tranquilizer darts to silently take down the opposition?
  • BartenderTiny.png
    A genial bartender who can talk his way past the most intimidating of guards?

Last edited by a moderator:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I've had it on my wishlist for a while. It looks pretty good, but my backlog is pretty full already. I'll get it eventually though, maybe once it leaves Early Access. Anyone here played it?

hellbent

Augur
I've messed with it a little for about 5 hours over a year ago and it is p. cool, nice to play for an hour at a time. Something fun about using a using the varied classes like the stealthy doctor to knock people out or a scientist with a shrink / freeze ray. Smooth to play with a XBOX controller. Been meaning to give it another and lengthier run since the many updates done since then, just backlogged like so many others.

Agreed with the posters above. Played with only the non-lethal doctor for three hours, and had my share of enjoyment. Although the classes offer distinct play styles and abilities from each other, i did notice that as the non-lethal doctor, the gameplay loop was fairly small and limited - i was doing the same things over and over again albeit with the doctor's unique abilities. Indeed, there only seems to be two types missions for each level: Hostage rescue, and retrieval of an item. Doing these will clear you for the next level. Besides those, there isn't much else to do besides buy and steal shit in order to make the aforementioned missions easier. Thankfully, there's a great variety of classes to choose from. You can even create your own, though I haven't done this before.

I guess to spice things up a hefty notch, there's these custom "disasters" that you can enable (or can happen on chance). I've experienced the meteor strike (airstrike?) and martial law (police will kill on sight) disasters, and they were plenty fun. The former was absolute chaos that actually made the level somewhat easier by blowing convenient passage ways and holes into where i needed to go, while the latter was an enjoyable challenge that forced me to play by my character's strengths, and become wary of my weaknesses. There's even many more disasters as well.

Overall, i'd say it's fairly mixed at full price. It sure has some very amazing concepts that work, but the game itself can get stale after... i'd say around two hours of play time, and i don't think i'll be able to redo my doctor playthrough again due to boredom. Would recommend whilst on sale.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Devs are consdering GOG release.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/512900/discussions/0/135511294065750701/
Madguy [developer] 11 Mar, 2017 @ 4:34am

Possible in the future, some of the features are tied to Steam, such as matchmaking and achievements. But we'll see, I'd like to.

I'm currently looking into it. The biggest hurdle is that it'll make friend invites in multiplayer games a bit less straightforward. Basically you'd need to give your friend an "invite code" rather than just directly inviting them. Not sure how many people are using that feature, but I'm hesitant to get rid of it. That's really the only thing, otherwise it's looking pretty doable.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2935/Streets_of_Rogue_Collectors_Edition/?snr=1_7_15__13
Version 85 - Level Editor/Workshop Beta! Playable Mobster!

Hey again everybody, it’s been a minute! I don’t intend for there to be a 2-month-plus gap in updates in the near future, things just kinda worked out that way this time around. Anyways, without further ado, here’s what’s new:

Level Editor and Steam Workshop Beta
The long-awaited level editor and workshop support are finally here… in beta form! This early version is being released as a way to gather feedback and for players to add content to the workshop before it releases officially. Since this is an “unofficial” launch, you’ll need to do the following in order to enable the level editor and workshop beta:

1. Join the the Streets of Rogue Workshop Beta group. This will allow you to see the Workshop content when you visit this link.
2. Right-click Streets of Rogue in your Steam library. Go to Properties -> General -> Set Launch options, and enter “leveleditor”. This will allow you to use the level editor beta.

BcAZStv.png

And that’s it! Check out this video for a quick overview of how the editor works.
0.jpg

YouTube™ Video: Streets of Rogue Level Editor Introduction
Views: 1 048
For info on how to enable the level editor and workshop, see here: https://steamcommunity.com/games/512900/partnerevents/view/1634173213748492016

The non-beta version of the editor should be coming in January if all goes well. Be sure to post your feedback in this thread and start sharing your creations on the Workshop!

New playable character: Mobster
Shake down business owners for extra income in your pocket at the start of each level. Or just mug random people for their cash. Just remember to pay off the cops as well, or you’ll end up in a bunch of trouble!
Version 85

Features
  • Level editor and workshop support beta

Playable Characters
  • Mobster

Achievements
  • Added Mobster achievement

Status Effects / Traits / Special Abilities
  • Added Extortionist - You can extort business owners for extra cash by threatening them or roughing them up. Just remember not to kill them, or they can't pay!
  • Added Corruption Costs - Pay off the Cops whenever money is owed, either directly or through ATM
  • Added Mugger - Mug people for cash or important items. Also increases your general "threaten" abilities and allows you to talk to Annoyed people.
  • Fix for Trust Funder giving the player money every time they joined a multiplayer game
  • Fix for Blaster Survivor not triggering on explosions caused by Overclocked Generators

Graphics
  • Fixed a light brightness issue when lots of bodies were near each other
  • Fix for hats being incorrectly positioned when over Cop Bot head

UI / Controls
  • Fix for “Remove x disaster” text not appearing properly on Mutator Configuration interface
  • Fix for Upper Cruster background not appearing green on character select
  • When gamepad player hovers over empty custom character slot, text in stats window reads “Create Me!”
  • Player no longer gets teleported slightly back sometimes when walking through destroyed walls
  • Fix for cases where chat log would sometimes state the incorrect name for a character when a custom character was chosen

Playfield Objects
  • Player can use Loadout Machine while Speed Run mutators are active
  • Fix for multiple counters appearing over Generator when it is hit by multiple EMP Grenades
  • Fix for Augmentation Booth's "swap trait" feature sometimes giving the player a trait that they could not use due to it requiring a special ability
  • Chests no longer contain under $10

Items
  • Fix for cases where Memory Eraser would not work properly
  • Fix for equipment such as Combat Helmet not giving status effects to Cop Bots
  • Fix for Fireproof Suit armor not depleting when hit by things that aren't fire

Sound
  • Fix for incorrect sounds sometimes playing when hitting with blade weapons

Missions
  • Fix for cases where Neutralize All quests could work incorrectly during Ooze levels

Ending
  • Slightly different Gorilla dialogue if he can speak due to having removed Vocally Challenged with the Augmentation Booth

Big Quests
  • Added Mobster Big Quest
  • Fix for extra imprisoned Gorillas not spawning on the first level for Gorilla quest

Level Generation
  • Fixed a couple of instances where multiple beds appeared on top of one another
  • Slight changes to how Power Boxes are placed

Artificial Intelligence
  • Hiring NPCs costs less
  • Fix for NPCs becoming hostile if the player hits them with a Dizzy/Teleport Grenades while invisible
  • Fix for Cops not wandering properly if they are in a big open area
  • When players with Fair Game who approach and interact with an NPC from behind, the NPC will turn toward the player, and likely run or attack

Text
  • Fixed a number of translation errors

Version 85b
  • Fix for player sprite appearing incorrectly when entering Home Base in online multiplayer mode
  • Fix for Extortionist not giving the player revenue when used on custom characters
  • Fix for Extortionist giving players $300 at the start of the game
  • Fix for Extortionist not being able to shake down multiple outdoor shop owners in the Park levels
  • Lowered the number of extortions required for Mobster’s Big Quest to account for Park levels
  • Fixed a number of translation issues for new traits
  • Fix for revenue from Extortion not always being distributed properly to multiplayer client
  • Fix for level editor crash when attempting to create new chunk while objects were selected
  • Fix for some objects in level editor reading as “GuardType”
  • Fix for not being able to select the “None” direction for objects and NPCs
  • Added Chair to list of selectable objects in level editor

Version 85c
  • Fix for workshop items that players subscribed to not being copied into the correct folder
  • Fix for a blank level disaster sometimes appearing in custom levels
  • Slightly higher payments to Cops required for Corruption Costs

Version 85d (November 21)
  • Player receives skill points for successful shakedowns, and loses those points if the NPC dies
  • Fix for revenue change due to killing an extorted person not being tracked properly on multiplayer client
  • Fix for player sometimes losing too much revenue when killing an extorted person
  • Fix for Cop Debt not being removed from host player if client player submitted money to an ATM
  • Fix for players with Corruption Costs not being able to pay off Supercops
  • Cannot extort money in Mayor Village
  • NPCs who are annoyed at the player but can still talk to them due to the Mugger trait will not join their party
  • Players can extort Drug Dealers regardless of whether they are technically an “owner”
  • Added more circumstances under which the game will recognize an extortion
  • Submissive NPCs will not fight on the player’s behalf unless they are enslaved by the player
  • Lockdown levels will not appear when players have Corruption Costs
  • Fix for cases where extorted NPCs could go from Submissive to Friendly
  • Fix for NPC name translation issues in level editor
  • Fix for Supercop and Supergoon not spawning properly from level editor
  • Players cannot receive achievements and unlocks for tasks achieved in custom levels
  • Limits on number of drug dealers that can spawn are removed for custom levels
  • Fix for entire floor not always appearing when testing out individual chunks from level editor
  • Fix for Crepes sometimes behind replaced with Blahds and vice versa in custom levels
  • Removed Butler Bot and Wastebasket from list of spawnable objects in level editor, since these were meant for very specific circumstances and won’t spawn normally
  • Fix for timer UI appearing in level editor
  • Fix for interaction UI elements remaining on the screen when returning to level editor from gameplay
  • Fixed an issue with how the user inputs spawn chance for NPCs

Version 85e (November 25)
  • Fix for player not being able to extort multiple Drug Dealers in the same location
  • Slightly altered which NPCs will become hostile if an extorted business owner dies
  • Fix for percentage chance when asking to leave town being 0% after extorting someone
  • Player cannot remove Corruption Costs under any circumstances
  • Fix for issues with “Give me Key and Safe Combination” after an NPC is extorted
  • “Full Health for All” and “Low Health for All” mutators can be used at the same time to give you and all NPCs a similarly low amount of health
  • Added new tips to Help screens
  • Fix for Keys and Safe Combinations reading "(E_None)" in chunks where a description was not assigned
  • Fix for “Law Workers” sometimes spawning incorrect NPC
  • In user-created levels, Holes, Flame Pits and Conveyor Belts can appear in districts that they would not normally appear in, so long as the chunk is not marked as a Hideout
  • Improved a number of Russian translations
  • Fix for random issues when returning to level editor after testing a chunk, then testing the chunk again
  • Fix for Supercop being represented as "CopB" in certain level editor chunks
  • Fix for Prisoner NPCs not being able to appear in certain types of user-created chunks
  • Fix for Bars and Barbed Wire not having proper ownership when testing level chunks
  • Clear Floor (2) now reads as Clear Floor (Owned) which is more accurate
  • Fix for issues with spaces in custom content filenames
  • Air Filter, Trash Barrels and Water Pumps will spawn under more circumstances in user-created chunks
  • Extra ability removed from possessed Bouncer

Version 85f (November 26)
  • Workshop submissions can include a preview image
  • Level editor chunks that have associated quests are now highlighted
  • Fix for level editor chunks remaining tagged with a quest after the chunk was deleted or modified
  • Fix for certain quest related events occurring during level editing

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/games/512900/announcements/detail/1711862846695938604
Version 86 - Playable Robot!
Today’s update features a brand new playable character - the Robot - and a bunch of fixes and additions for the workshop and level editor based on your feedback.

For info on how to enable the Level Editor and Workshop while it’s still in beta, see here! And remember to keep posting your feedback on the level editor in this thread!

Version 86

Playable Characters
  • Robot

Achievements
  • Added Robot Achievement

Big Quests
  • Added Robot Big Quest

Characters
  • Killer Robot is now officially known as “Killer Robot” instead of “Robot” in-game

• Added Power Sap - Releases a blast of energy that recharges you if it hits most electronic devices
  • Added Rechargeable - Your melee, firearms and speed attributes start very high, and get lower along with your battery
  • Added Electronic - Status effects usually don't affect you, you can't eat food, and you're damaged by water and EMP blasts
  • Added Sappy-Healthy - Power Sap gives you more health from electronic devices
  • Added Sap Damage - Power Sap does more damage to people in its radius
  • Fix for hacks not working properly for hired hackers on multiplayer client

Level Editor
  • Custom characters can be submitted to the Workshop through the character creation interface (enabled only if the Level Editor is enabled)
  • Added support for using multiple chunk packs at the same time
  • Players have the option to use only the chunks from chunk packs and not use the normal chunks at all
  • Levels, Campaigns and Chunk Packs can be refreshed from Chunk Mode when you modify a chunk
  • Chunk Packs can be added to Campaigns to be used in randomized levels
  • Campaigns can be refreshed from Level Mode when you modify a level
  • Player can click and drag a selection square in Select mode
  • Player can click and drag a square in Draw mode for Walls and Floors to draw a patch
  • Custom text can be added to Sign object
  • Specific Laser Emitter types can be selected
  • “Allow Teleport” setting added to to level creator
  • Specific items can be placed into Chests and Safes
  • Specific items can be placed in NPC inventories
  • Patrolling NPCs in user-created chunks can open doors
  • Levels can be given a custom title that displays at the beginning of the level and on the missions screen
  • Bars and Barbed Wire can no longer be selected as an Object when editing prefabs, and are now exclusively walls
  • Wastebasket no longer appears in chunk prefabs
  • Fix for chunks not being removed from chunk packs properly when requested by the player
  • Selection boxes in level editor no longer appear stretched at times
  • Fixes for when cursor goes out of bounds on the map
  • Fix for level-based mutators carrying over to the next level
  • Fix for Water Pumps not connecting to pools properly in chunks that are not in Uptown or Mayor Village
  • Fix for campaign saved games not always loading properly
  • Fix for chunk packs not loading in saved games with chunk packs
  • Fix for chunks placed in level editor sometimes showing up as Apartments
  • Fix for game freezing when Windows are destroyed when next to other Windows

UI / Controls
  • Fix for elevator icons sometimes appearing in the wrong spots on multiplayer client
  • Fix for player being able to press Trait/Reward/Mutator config buttons on gamepad after closing the menu
  • Fix for cursor text appearing when mouse is over certain in-game objects (like computers) while on main menu
  • Fix for rare cases where missions screen could soft lock after completing quests
    Status effects do not appear in cursor text when mousing over players

Playfield Objects
  • Alarm Button is considered electronic

Items
  • Melee weapon durability depletes by much less when the player is a giant
  • Fix for Boo-Urn not always causing NPCs to flee buildings

Mutators
  • Fix for multiplayer client seeing Rogue Vision lighting after exiting a Rogue Vision level in Random Mutators mode

Artificial Intelligence
  • Arena fighters will not come and listen to player’s jokes
  • Fix for Killer Robot being able to pick up weapons

Version 86b
  • Fix for Tutorial level showing the wrong type of Lasers
  • Fix for Robot not unlocking when the player hacks Cop Bot using Super Special Ability or Speed Coder
  • Fix for Electronic not working properly after loading saved games
  • Fix for objects that were not intended to charge the Robot (such as Lamps) charging the Robot after the first level
  • Fix for Robot not receiving Above the Law properly
  • Fix for Robot being able to heal themselves with First Aid Kit
  • Fix for Robot being able to purge “Charge Level” status effects in toilet
  • Fix for Robot being able to donate blood or receive a blood bag
  • Fix for No In-Fighting and Class Solidarity not being triggering with Power Sap
  • Fix for not being able to select objects in chunks made with the previous version of the game in the level editor
  • Fix for holding Ctrl and clicking to “select all” in level editor not working
  • Fix for incorrect text and images sometimes appearing for top Item entries in level editor lists

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/512900/view/2114944526809536946
Version 88 - Bug Fixes and Future Plans
Hi all! It’s been a couple months since the last update, which I've mostly spent dealing with certain new and exciting ventures. Amidst that chaos, I’ve managed to scrape together a whole bunch of bug fixes for you in this latest update.

New Content is Coming!
While this update doesn’t contain any new content, I actually have a bunch of new stuff almost ready to drop. It’s not quite there yet, which is why I wanted to do this interim update.

Consoles!
For anyone who has the console versions, you may have noticed that the game is several versions behind the PC version. I really apologize for these delays. My publisher and I have had some at-times unusual certification issues that have caused major hold-ups. While I don’t have a solid update timeline, rest assured that the game will eventually be updated to match the PC version.

Future plans!
Streets of Rogue has now been in development for over six years, with the game being playable from start to finish for nearly two years. It's become more and more difficult to add new features to the game that are impactful, but won’t break the existing game or fundamentally change the gameplay. I’d like to take Streets of Rogue in some big new directions, but it’s tough to do so within the current structural confines of the game I’ve created.

So, I’ve decided to begin work on a sequel! I’ll be expanding directly from the existing six-years-in-development Streets of Rogue code base. Much of this time was spent turning some extremely open-ended systems design into something that was relatively polished, as opposed to a complete janky mess. Just take a look at the scores of Steam changelogs to get an idea of what I’m talking about. My hope is that the stability of my existing work will allow me to focus on expanding the structure of the game world (...open world?) and adding a bunch of fun new systems (...vehicles?) while spending less time on bug fixes. We’ll see how that goes!

I don’t have a timeline for any of this. My next steps are basically “experiment with new tech and toy around with new systems”. It’ll be awhile before I have anything solid to show. I just wanted to give you an idea of what I’m up to. Frankly, I don't even have much of a design doc at this point, just a general idea of where I want to go. So if you have suggestions, always feel free to drop me a line!

What does this mean for Streets of Rogue? While my primary focus will be shifting a bit, updates will still be coming. Since the next game will be built off the same code base as the original, I’ll be continuing to fix bugs and make beneficial changes, with the probability of some new content along the way. Streets of Rogue is never finished!

Anyways, that's all for now. Stay safe everyone! And STAY HOME!
Version 88

Level Editor
  • Player is shown the main menu after pressing Esc while testing a level, instead of immediately exiting the level
  • Warning message appears when saving a chunk when walls are placed at the chunk edges
  • Fix for yellow quest boxes appearing during gameplay when testing levels from the level editor
  • Fix for NPC talk text always appearing on a single line when displayed in-game
  • Fix for issues with text disappearing when creating Sign text and NPC Talk text

UI / Controls
  • Added “Alignment Circles” setting in Gameplay Settings, which defaults to On. If an NPC is Hostile toward you, a red circle will appear beneath them. If they are Aligned/Loyal/Submissive, a green circle will appear.
  • Level Editor button now appears beneath Custom Campaign and Chunk Pack buttons to avoid players accidentally entering into the level editor when they did not mean to
  • Fix for Big Quest slot not always displaying all text in Chinese language version
  • Fix for issues aiming with certain weapons in Trackpad Mode
  • Fix for new Twitch votes appearing on interface after vote has ended
  • Ghosts are prevented from traveling too far outside of map boundaries
  • Player will no longer auto-aim at non-functional objects such as Turrets that have been deactivated
  • Fix for rechargeable special abilities appearing transparent on interface after level completion
  • If voting is tied between two items in Twitch votes, the winner will be randomly selected instead of selecting the first item

Non-Playable Characters
  • Fix for NPCs not displaying user-created text on multiplayer client

Achievements
  • Steam/GoG Achievements will trigger upon completion even if they've already been internally triggered to reduce cases of people not being able to get all achievements

Graphics
  • Fix for custom character hair sometimes appearing incorrectly in Home Base
  • Fix for custom NPCs sometimes appearing incorrectly when using chunk packs
  • Fix for custom NPCs sometimes appearing incorrectly on multiplayer client
  • Fix for Dizzy Stars not appearing and disappearing properly in Rogue Vision mode

Playfield Objects
  • Fix for exit elevator being titled "Mysterious Elevator"
  • Fix for Turret sometimes turning and shooting after losing power
  • Fix for Signs not displaying user-created text on multiplayer client
  • Fix for cases where objects attached to walls might not be destroyed if its wall was destroyed, but another object was attached to a nearby wall
  • Fix for players who do an Augmentation Booth swap sometimes getting traits that they can't use because they lack the associated special ability
  • Preventative measure for multiplayer client teleporting after using the level exit and not being able to exit the level
  • Fix for cases where Refrigerator could be made to “run” after another player had picked it up
  • A small noise occurs when travering broken windows

Items
  • Fix for Boo-Urn not working in some Industrial buildings
  • Increased number of cases where health items cannot be given to NPCs who cannot use them (for example, giving a Ham Sandwich to a Cannibal)
  • Player is blocked from giving follower NPCs weapons that they will not be able to use, such as if they have Pacifist
  • Fix for player not being able to throw items at NPCs hidden in bushes

• Medical Professional allows you to use Blood Bag on yourself
  • NPCs cannot have Addict or Rechargeable, since they have no proper way to take care of themselves
  • Fix for Class Solidarity causing all custom characters to not be able to hit each other, rather than just custom characters of the same type
  • Fix for player not being able to Cannibalize NPCs who transformed back from Werewolf form
  • Assassins are no longer triggered by Random Reverence
  • Cannibal players can no longer receive "Cool with Cannibals" as an end-of-level trait
  • Fix for Cannibal continuing to Cannibalize after NPC body has been gibbed by someone hitting it
  • On the House no longer triggers when using a Free Item Voucher
  • Blaster Survivor triggers for bodies that explode as a result of the player’s actions
  • Player cannot begin Chaaaarge while jumping
  • Fix for interactions with objects not stopping when the player is bitten
  • Fix for the player continuing to use “operating bar” when being arrested or bitten
  • Fix for player getting stuck if they are being bit by a player when that player loses their online connection
  • Fix for Lunge and Chaaarge not working properly for players who were Enraged
  • If the player has Bullet Breaker, their rockets will not be destroyed when hitting other bullets

Stats / Unlocks
  • Player receives Skill Points for successfully telling jokes
  • Player does not unlock Gorilla if a Gorilla dies before they are freed from their cage

Missions
  • Fix for Neutralize All missions potentially including Ghosts

Big Quests
  • Fix for certain Big Quest related events occurring during New Character Every Level, where Big Quests are disabled
  • Fix for Aligned NPCs that the player must kill for Big Quest not always being capable of taking hits, such as when player has No In-Fighting
  • Most NPCs that must be killed for Big Quest are considered Guilty

Mutators
  • Fix for the No Guns and No Melee mutators not affecting NPCs in custom chunks who are given weapons by the creator of the chunk
  • Zombies can be arrested during the Zombies Welcome mutator
  • Fix for Bounty Hunters keeping their Rocket Launchers concealed during Rocket Chaos (this gave them away)

Level Generation
  • Fix for certain cases where loading can get stuck when loading custom chunks

Artificial Intelligence
  • Fix for NPCs not always sitting or sleeping when they were supposed to
  • Fix for NPCs recognizing that the player hit them with Fireworks when the player is out of view
  • Fix for enslaved NPCs not following the player to the exit if they had previously been involved in a quest
  • Fix for Zombies becoming Submissive after being Enslaved
  • NPCs will not become Annoyed when a player Bites their coop partner
  • After player indicates that they want to run for Mayor, they are prompted “Are you sure?” Yes or No
  • Fix for enforcers who are spawned during the Lockdown disaster not recognizing that Lockdown is in effect
  • NPCs who become hostile toward someone after sleeping will walk around instead of returning to their bed and standing still
  • Fix for Zombies not being hostile toward the player when “Everyone Hates You” and “Zombies Welcome” mutators are active
  • Fix for player not being able to ask a submissive Slavemaster to hand over one of their slaves
  • Fix for Cops becoming hostile toward players for shooting NPCs with Water Pistol when the Water Pistol contained a positive status effect
  • Fix for Slaves becoming Friendly instead of Loyal if player removes their helmet with an EMP explosion or Power Sap
  • Fix for prisoners not becoming Loyal toward players who deactivate computers and free them from prison through the use of Power Sap or EMP Grenades
  • Fleeing NPCs no longer say “You’re ravaging my body!” since they may not have actually been attacked
  • Fix for NPCs with Suspicious who are in the player's party being told to leave the Deportation Center when the player is teleported there
  • NPCs are less likely to engage in combat while they are attempting to exit the level
  • Fix for NPCs not reacting negatively to NPCs with Malodorous who had come from previous levels

Text
  • Added proper localization for lots of text that was added post-launch (previously some of this had been Google-translated)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron

https://af.gog.com/game/streets_of_rogue_character_pack?as=1649904300
The Streets of Rogue Character Pack adds six new playable characters, each with their own unique new abilities and Big Quests:
  • MechTiny.png
    Mech Pilot:Pilot your very own mini-mech and slaughter all of the city's creeps, RoboCop style!
  • CourierTiny.png
    Courier: Strap on a pair of roller skates and speed around the city delivering packages!
  • AlienTiny.png
    Alien: Use your mind control abilities to make the city's denizens do things that probably aren't good for their health!
  • GuardTiny.png
    Goon: Do your job! Defend buildings from invaders and attain the rank of Supergoon!
  • BouncerTiny.png
    Bouncer: Become a bodyguard and keep a semi-famous Musician safe and sound!
  • DemolitionistTiny.png
    Demolitionist: Craft tons of remote-detonated bombs, then plant them around the city, causing mass chaos!

All characters are unlocked right from the start! The new character traits and abilities can also be used on your custom-made characters!

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/512900/view/2918851011155910315
Version 91
Following up on last week's post, I've deemed version 91 ready for release! Thanks to all who helped me test this. The primary reason that I did a beta test before releasing this build was because I updated the Unity engine powering the game to a much newer version.

If you run into any issues with the new version that we didn't catch, please let me know!

Though the engine upgrade is the primary purpose of this update, I've also made a bunch of new gameplay fixes, as detailed below.
Version 91
UI / Controls

• Fix for player being able to change their multiplayer username if they began a LAN game and then started hosting an internet game
  • Certain prohibited words from the bad word filter are now allowed

Items
  • Fix for players being able to give away Bomb Processor and possibly other important items as a bribe
  • Fix for Paralyzer Trap causing hostility when the player uses it on someone while invisible
  • Party members and mind controlled NPCs are no longer affected by Memory Mutilator
  • Fix for items disappearing if the player is dragging an item with the mouse, then picks up an item creating a full inventory, then attempts to drop the dragged item

• Fix for Antisocial not canceling out Bodyguard, even though the reverse did cause a cancellation
  • Players with The Law will not receive Friend of the Common Folk or Random Reverence as rewards
  • Fix for player being able to use Power Sap on dead robots
  • Fix for upgrades to the player's starting traits being considered non-starting traits (affects whether the player keeps them during transformations)

Stats / Unlocks
  • Fix for Mech Pilot’s big quest targets sometimes being considered Innocent

Big Quests
  • Fix for custom characters' big quests changing if they possess another custom character

Disasters
  • Shifting Status Effects disaster will not occur when playing as a character with the Courier big quest

Artificial Intelligence
  • Preventative measure to ensure dead NPCs cannot ever pick up weapons
  • Fix for Cops becoming hostile toward players who chloroform Zombies
  • Fix for NPCs walking to ending cinematic while frozen
  • Fix for NPCs becoming hostile toward player for depossessing another NPC when the first NPC is not facing the player

Text
  • “Quick and Dead” and “Inhuman Strength” trait descriptions modified to clarify that they only apply to NPCs
  • Fixed a typo in “Extra Health for NPCs” description

Multiplayer
  • Fail-safe for cases where multiplayer client could lose items and traits when loading saved game
  • Fix for random multiplayer client errors with bullets

Engine
  • Unity engine updated from 2018.2.14f1 to 2019.3.7f1
  • Only one instance of the game can be opened at once
  • Random seeds from previous versions will no longer produce the same levels as before

Version 91b
  • Fix for not being able to interact with NPCs sleeping in beds

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/512900/view/3061857423717828849
Version 94
This update marks a bit of a milestone: Just a week ago, Streets of Rogue celebrated its 4th birthday on Steam! That's an entire high school/college career! Since then, we've gone from version 20 all the way to version 94!

In sequel news...

I've recently added the ability for the player to place walls, floors and objects into the environment. This will likely be used to allow people to create their own home base(s), much like in other open world games such as Fallout 4, Valheim, Terraria, etc.

I've also added the ability for the engine to do diagonal/slanted walls. This was the absolute biggest tile-mapping nightmare you could ever imagine and took wayyyy longer than I anticipated, but hopefully this will allow me to create some more interesting looking structures and organic looking outdoor areas.

Since the game's development so far has mostly consisted of laying groundwork and solving the tough technical bits, the gameplay itself still has a long ways to go before it reaches anything close to a playable state. But as always, I'm happy to hear your thoughts/suggestions/hopes/dreams during this period where the game is still very malleable!
Version 94
Graphics

• Fix for Mech's weapon not appearing properly in Home Base
  • In character creation, the rectangular Robot heads may not be given hat accessories
  • Fix for the Random Appearance button in character selection never resulting in facial hair
  • Corrected shadow positioning for Ammo Stock

UI / Controls

• Fix for outdated trait list sometimes remaining on the left side of the screen after depossessing

Items

• Skeleton Key no longer appears in Loadouts
  • Fix for player not being able to drop guns purchased from War Zone soldiers via Art of the Deal
  • Fix for Wrestler throwing Lamps causing Cube of Lampey to lose 2 charges instead of 1
  • Bracelet of Strength will not lose durability when hitting NPCs that cannot be damaged
  • Knife is lower on the hierarchy when the game selects a new weapon for you
  • Slave Helmet Remote is destroyed when you free a Slave
  • Fix for Taser’s recharge timer freezing if it is placed in an ATM while recharging
  • Fix for certain items not working properly when used from multiplayer client after a Continue is used

• Fix for Electronic players being damaged by water when in Ghost form
  • Cannibalize and Bloody Mess cancel each other out in character creation
  • Fix (again) for cases where certain removed traits could still show up in the game
  • Fix for Mech often having slightly less oil than it's supposed to if you run out of oil before refilling it
  • Lasers are not triggered if the player is Shrunk
  • Fix for empty Mech sometimes being Aligned with the player due to Random Reverence
  • NPCs who are infected with Zombiism will consistently blow up if their Slave Helmet is destroyed, rather than sometimes coming back to life
  • Playing as a custom character with The Law and Scumbag Slaughterer, scumbags will be marked as Guilty before they turn hostile
  • If a player hits a Generator and triggers it to explode, they will receive the benefits of Blaster Survivor and Blaster Master even someone else hits the Generator in the interim
  • Fix for player retaining “I’m Outtie” speed when swapping the trait for something else
  • Fix for some status effects not fully clearing when depossessing custom NPCs
  • Fix for Bartender being Loyal toward Shapeshifter following possession if Super Special Abilities have been unlocked for both characters and the mutator is active
  • Fix for status effects and traits not always showing properly on other players in online multiplayer games after Continue
  • Fix for cases where Tranquilized countdown could continue after a player is knocked out

Missions

• NPCs in "Find Bombs" missions are marked as Guilty when the bomb is in their building
  • Potential fix for issue where bombs in "Find Bombs" disaster might not explode in online multiplayer
  • When a player is assigned to free a Slave, all Slaves in that building will be Loyal to the player

Big Quests

• In the Goon's Big Quest, the player will not be asked to defend outdoor locations
  • Drug Dealers who are targets in the Assassin’s Big Quest cannot take a Resurrection syringe

Level Generation

• Fix for cases of incorrectly placed Water Pumps near lakes

Artificial Intelligence

• Fix for cases where Thief NPCs would attempt to use Stealing Glove on objects
  • Fix for custom NPCs not displaying dialogue when telling jokes or laughing at jokes
  • Fix for NPCs with Hearing Blocked being able to hear the player operating Turntables
  • Fix for cases where NPCs could move with the wrong type of physics (i.e. ice physics)
  • Fix for NPCs becoming "fans" of musician when performing certain types of important actions
  • Musician will not make requests that involve NPCs that are already employed by the player
  • Slavemasters cannot become fans of the Musician (they shouldn't leave their Slaves)
  • Mind Controlled NPCs can now use items that they have been given by the player
  • Fix for NPCs "witnessing" assassination in Assassin's Big Quest while the player is teleporting
  • Fix for Slave remaining Submissive if the player frees the Slave via hacking their helmet
  • Fix for prisoners not being able to fight one another
  • Fix for Cannibals not attacking NPCs who did not originate in the current level
  • Fix for NPCs becoming hostile toward the player for hacking Slave Helmets when they are Loyal or Aligned with the player
  • Fix for NPCs not protecting property after being depossessed
  • Freeing Slaves by enslaving their owner and then freeing them causes them to become Loyal

Text

• Modified Big Bullets description to account for other non-bullet projectiles

Multiplayer

• Safeguards to ensure fix of issue where host was unable to move more than a couple feet before reverting back to the previous position
  • Fix for NPCs that are Mind Controlled by multiplayer client not being able to melee-hit other players properly
  • Fix for extra damage numbers appearing over multiplayer client's Mind Controlled NPCs when they are hit

I’m surprised this game hasn’t gotten more love here. It’s very, very good. Clearly the product of a deranged mind. One of the few games I’ve played in the last decade with genuinely funny systemic gameplay.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
talking from experience, introduction is bad. I got hooked only after 3rd try.
Perhaps there are more who just gave up

talking from experience, introduction is bad. I got hooked only after 3rd try.
Perhaps there are more who just gave up
I disagree. It definitely doesn’t hand-hold you, and leaves it up to you to figure out the depth of systemic interactions, but that’s a virtue to my mind. It also gives you an “easy” mode pretty immediately once you unlock the soldier (although as a result he is one of the more boring classes).

I was very surprised when I played this. I expected some roguelike Streets of Rage thing and it ended up making me think of Deus Ex instead.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/512900/view/3004447941938571752
Version 95
Two years after release, and bug reports are still coming in! However, it's been four months since the previous update, and that's because it's taken that long to receive enough valid bug reports to fill an update. Which tells me that the bug count may be finally starting to dwindle!

Sequel Progress
For those just tuning in, I've been using these updates to provide little bits of info on the open-world Streets of Rogue sequel that's currently in development here at DogHelm Studios (i.e. my house). Here are just a few of the areas of the sequel that I've been hard at work on since the last update. Be forewarned, not all of this is particularly exciting, but that's kinda the reality of most gamedev :)

"Dungeons":
Basically, anything that isn't a part of the main world map is considered a "dungeon". This could take the form of an underground cave, an enormous multi-storied building, or anything in-between. As with just about every other area of the game, I'm leaving this somewhat open-ended for the time being. But the tech is in place for dungeons to function properly.

World maps:
There are three types of maps that the player can access via the interface: The fully zoomed-out map, which will give you an abstracted overview of the (rather enormous) world. The zoomed-in map, which will look somewhat like the minimap of the original game, but with lots of extra detail and color, and can be scrolled around the world. And the dungeon map, which covers a floor of a dungeon.

AI:
Not only can NPCs in cars function properly on roads now, but they can even deal with traffic. An NPC can get into their car in the morning, drive to their job, park the car, work all day, then leave and return home. And yes, you can steal their car during the course of the day, forcing them to walk home. Perhaps through an area that contains wild bears (not implemented yet, but planned!)

New chunk sizes:
Astute players and level editor aficionados may have noted that building/chunks come in three primary sizes in the original SoR: Normal, long (2x as big as Normal), and Huge (4x as big as Normal). The sequel will include two new types as well: Tiny (1/4 as big as Normal) and Tiny-Long (1/2 as big as Normal), to help achieve a more organic feeling world.

Engine and tech upgrades:
I've been making a more concerted effort to keep the game compatible with updates for Unity and the various plugins I'm using. Some of this may end up trickling down to future SoR updates (proper borderless windowed mode, anyone?)

Laying more groundwork:
As I've implied in previous updates, my work at the moment is mostly about the "broad strokes" rather than getting into the nitty gritty of the gameplay. Engineering a strong foundation for this game is very important to me. I'm really looking forward to being able rapidly implement new content and features in the future without having to jump back into the deep end to fix fundamental issues with my tech (as was often the case with the original game during Early Access).

And as usual, feel free to post your suggestions and questions in the comments! And now for the patch notes...
Version 95
UI / Controls

• Fix for Nintendo Switch button icons appearing reversed (i.e. A=B, X=Y)
  • Fix for NPCs not displaying "Empty" if the player pickpockets them when they have nothing in their inventory
  • Fix for player having incorrect physics if they fall into a hole while on ice, and are spawned back onto the ice

Items

• Custom characters start with armor automatically equipped
  • Fix for player being able to do extra damage to ghosts by shooting Ghost Gibber beam in short bursts
  • Fix for player not being able to shoot the Ghost Gibber past doors and windows that had been destroyed
  • Player cannot steal Gas Mask off NPCs' heads

• Fix for Shapeshifter getting white eyes instead of red after being released from Mind Control
  • Antidote cures Withdrawal status
  • If player is not able to hit an NPC with Mind Control bullet (due to Class Solidarity, etc.), the explosion cannot hit the NPC either
  • Fix for Zombie Phlegm and Mind Control Bullets sometimes auto-aiming toward objects that they can't affect
  • Fix for players not retaining Confused status properly after Possessing or Depossessing an NPC
  • Killer Robot's Tank-Like trait replaced with Unstoppable-ish
  • Players who are Possessing an NCP can cause that NPC to die by traversing broken glass, rather than health not going below zero
  • Fix for players being offered Crooked when they have handcuffs, but do not have The Law
  • Player cannot receive Scumbag Slaughterer when swapping traits
  • Fix for some cases where multiplayer client with Fair Game would not cause NPCs to become scared and run away
  • Fix for Jock sometimes Chaaarging infinitely into an object that should be breakable
  • Fix for Zombified NPCs not being able to transform into a Werewolf
  • Chaaarging into NPCs or using Electro Touch while Zombified will infect the NPC

Stats / Unlocks

• Player receives skill points for navigating Mind Controlled NPCs into holes

Missions

• NPC Ghosts in custom chunks cannot be classified as Important since this can break a run if they need to be neutralized for a mission
  • Player can buy Slave from Slavemaster for “Free the Slave” mission regardless of whether there is technically space in the player’s party for another member

Big Quests

• Fix for NPCs being classified as witnesses on Assassin Big Quest if the Assassin's target is killed a second time after being Zombified
  • Arrow appears above Musician's head in final level during Bouncer's Big Quest
  • NPCs who have been challenged to a fight for Wrestler’s Big Quest will pronounce the fight “not fair” if they become Mind Controlled
  • NPCs who have been challenged to a fight for Wrestler’s Big Quest will stop the fight if they end up joining someone’s party mid-fight
  • Player cannot be assigned optional missions in buildings where Goon's Big Quest takes place

Artificial Intelligence

• Fix for Cops becoming hostile toward the player for hacking the Killer Robot
  • Fix for NPCs not becoming Loyal when the player breaks them out of prison using Chaaarge
  • Fix for hostile NPCs not fighting each other when spawned into a prison room together mid-game
  • Fix for Big Quest target NPCs becoming hostile toward their friends too easily
  • Fix for Cops becoming hostile toward players who pickpocket NPCs while invisible
  • Fix for Friendly NPCs running away from players with Fair Game
  • NPCs do not immediately become hostile toward the player for accidentally hitting them with the Ghost Gibber
  • Fix for NPCs who have been told to stand guard running back to player after becoming Dizzy, Frozen or Electrocuted
  • Fix for party members who are assigned to attack an NPC, not actually attacking that NPC if the player runs far enough away
  • Fix for NPCs not joining the player’s party while they are in a fight for the Wrestler’s Big Quest
  • Fix for NPCs in buildings where an optional quest exists sometimes being Annoyed with player due to Suspicious
  • Fix for NPC Bounty Hunters who are initially hostile toward the player at the beginning of the level not drawing their weapons upon seeing the player
  • Fix for certain cases where NPCs would become hostile toward the player and then proceed to ignore them instead of battling or fleeing

Text

• Fixed a typo in Wrong Building
  • Corrected “Enraged” description

Multiplayer

• Fix for cases where NPC position could be desynced in online multiplayer when it is released from Mind Control
  • Fixed awkward interactions between Mind Controlled NPCs on multiplayer client and hazardous objects like Barbed Wire
  • Fix for incorrect particle effect sometimes appearing on client when host player melee-hits an NPC
  • Fix for multiplayer client being able to produce clones of themselves during high lag while depossessing an NPC

Engine

• Updated game engine to Unity 2019.4.28f1

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
AI:
Not only can NPCs in cars function properly on roads now, but they can even deal with traffic. An NPC can get into their car in the morning, drive to their job, park the car, work all day, then leave and return home. And yes, you can steal their car during the course of the day, forcing them to walk home.
cp77 will never recover from this

NoSoup4you

Learned
I picked this game up a week ago, and it is amazing. A sandbox game with just the right amount of direction, where every subsystem matters and is useful, and creativity is actually encouraged. It feels like going back 20 years to when this shit was still exciting. So far, I've beaten the game as the Gorilla, Assassin, and Jock (who won the election.) I also played co-op with a friend yesterday, and we eventually settled on Soldier+Robot, winning but failing my big quest. While I was looking around for the visitor pass on the last floor, my friend just walked up to the mayor in the middle of all the cops and asked for his hat with a 10% success chance, and the mayor gave it to him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom