Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, a Lovecraftian Computer RPG - FREE DEMO now available on Steam

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Scrawled, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    When I say "post-Victorian" I'm referring to the period between 1901 and the beginnings of WW2, in which the Prohibition era is included, and which encompassed most of Lovecraft's writings.

I've read all of Lovecraft's stories at least once and often several times each, I'm very familiar with the trappings of the era, and generally I pop into these threads from time to time hoping to find something that seems authentic or evocative. The medieval map snippet instantly caught my eye (though at the time it would be an antiquity), but sadly it was only an example.

Thanks to that pesky thing called subjectivity, we could argue about it all day. There's nothing wrong with the maps, but they do nothing for me in terms of being evocative of the period.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Black Angel Magister

Black Angel

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Less-than-Fallout, but that was a pipe dream. +M

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Todays update about UI:

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lagi Learned

Lagi
    replay the demo, the game promises to be amazing. Audio is best I ever hear. The pnp mechanic looks studied, hope game will have enough content to fully support it.

1. would be immersive to force match the character picture (bust) with body doll (in inventory, on game screen).

2.the initial nightmare scene: dancers could be mirrored when they fight, to have more variety

3. hope for map travel. The manual walking each screen, is wearing (bank with F... poster). Also the map trip could be interrupted by any curious event (or plot trigger).

4. picking up items. I sometimes want to take one item. Would be nice to close the pick up window, just by clicking anywhere outside of it (instead clicking the X).

5. remove the need for key press after location loading (let it auto go to next location).

6. would be dope if high Presence (+ from clothing) reduce the chance for triggering combat with sane humans (citizens, mob, cultist).
    Also would be nice if Presence & Speech-craft could affect the chance of ending combat with sane human enemies - during combat you speak out yourself from fight. On the basis of "What are you doing?! His bleeding. Why you do this? We dont want to fight. Lets speak about this. We just go.". Ofc you can not relay on it when confronting animals, monsters or insane opponents.
    Maybe it can be implemented into the chance of current "progressive retreat"?

7. the core, economical healing item should be a bandage (and next, a little more advance: ointments)
    the laudanum shot could reduce the pain (& be highly addictive). Pain from wounds (hp lose) could reduce the AP.

p.s. during one combat i decide to retreat (violet hex) low on HP Eduardo. I didnt expect that my main character also decide to give up the fight and his life (he was'nt insane yet).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/comments

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    They have quite a hill to climb after Atom, but at least I can depend on this to be significantly less memey.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • thumbs down thumbs down x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lagi Learned

Lagi
    :d1p:

Stygian demo is best Role Playing game I played, I never feel so "part" of the world. I cannot trick myself to perceive the game world, without taking into account the game rules or NPC reactions to my character.

art in SRotOO is perfect, I hope you would not change anything & only thing your artists work now is more location backgrounds.

put as much narrative, as you can -more NPC dialoge in reaction to PC action. for wall text, please try to keep current quality.

rules - be careful with combat, to not make it a boring chores (esp. if you need to kill all lesser creature for XP). Hope SRotOO is not aspiring for a tactic combat simulator. I will welcome more mechanism to avoid combat. Hide in game more optional mechanism of getting "knowledge", to gain advantage (f.ex. to avoid combat).
    Would be nice, if there come circumstances, when guns would not be the optimal weaponry in my characters hands.

with Stygian I feel like before SitS, but Serpents has a mediocre, not well made gameplay. Take your time, because you would probably drop the game after (& I would love Serpents to receive more patches).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lagi Learned

Lagi
    new demo:bounce:, on the other hand i better wait for final version, dont want in the future to replay again known part of game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. GandGolf Savant

GandGolf
    Playing the demo wasn't overly spoilery considering that it didn't have that much of the game in it, just maybe the start of a single quest. If a new demo comes out on steam then I am definitely going to be trying it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Iluvcheezcake Learned

Iluvcheezcake
    Very excited about this game. But will refrain from playing any more demos and will wait for the full release :)

^ Top  
  13. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I am so ready for this game. Just hope they stay away from the level and combat design they used for the bank quest in the demo. It was unfortunate, to say the least. The game has the potential to have fun combat, they just need to make it a little more complex.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Might as well give up then. :M

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • :M :M x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Ahh, seems they took my advice on the UI. Back when it was first displayed I told them it should be more like Arcanum in terms of immersive style design over pure functionality. Now it looks much better. Kudos, fellas! I like the way the p'n'p ruleset looks and I'll definitely get around to playing this again sometime. I played the beta awhile back and didn't get too far due to being distracted by other things.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Gaius maximus Scholar

Gaius maximus
    the demo is the same from last year?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    It looks the same as it always has?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Hmm, i dunno. I remember distinctly on this site making a big post about it, comparing screenshots of Arcanum's UI to their current UI, and pointing out how the style should be more immersive and resemble the style of the game. The UI at that time was pretty plain. This was before the beta was even out, which they gave me access to. I'm pretty sure it was this game.

^ Top  
  19. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    UI has looked very similar/the same as it does now since the kickstarter pitch, as far as I know.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Hmm, maybe it was another game then. I could be wrong. I know I posted on here about some game's UI that should look similar stylistically to Arcanum's, with screenshots and comparisons. Ah well, disregard that post then. :)

^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yes.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    No it was this one. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...vailable-on-steam.107676/page-19#post-4940724

But the UI hasn't changed, so I guess this is one of those "That's not how I feel today" things. :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Does this mean new previews are coming? I hope so.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Excited! Excited! x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    New update : True Art Can Only Come From Suffering: The Introspection of an Illustrator

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    I may be dum-dum, but is this the first time this has been mentioned?

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)