Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Stygian : The Reign of the Small Font

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
60 - The Witch's House
90kNqoU.jpg

IJgEshj.jpg

I can only guess that AP is derived from (SEN + AGI) / 2 rounded up.
With 9 AP I can now fire the shotgun and reload at the same turn if necessary. With High Reaction I get +2 AP - that's 11 AP to act on.

Y6RxDU0.jpg

dv1F6M8.jpg

tILgTcN.jpg

MXPcLYI.jpg

5r3dZAD.jpg

PGIUXRp.jpg

5M75p0h.jpg

MVTZUjK.jpg

H3oseFQ.jpg

mCCCN4D.jpg

HDZPfuk.jpg

GXaQ8jB.jpg

XQYPyb6.jpg

H8zL4D1.jpg

c4BXTkZ.jpg

zah8kXg.jpg

A65gLFV.jpg

ZuAhZLU.jpg

RK47

Patron
62 - Vanish
fy8FfQW.jpg

Not a trace - a flashback perhaps? But there's something left behind...

ywhZasr.jpg

u59vVJP.jpg

UjQYZK9.jpg

WAoubkc.jpg
No, but what on earth are you?
XKZU6lo.jpg
Doom arrives.

The black lips smile, revealing the ghastly teeth right behind them.

XKZU6lo.jpg
Are you looking for something?
WAoubkc.jpg
A mark...some kind of a star-shaped glyph.
XKZU6lo.jpg
Ah yes... but the mark forgot you. Do you wish it to remember?
WAoubkc.jpg
What do you mean by it forgot me?
XKZU6lo.jpg
It could mean a couple of different things. Perhaps it recognized you once, but you've been forgotten? Or perhaps you are simply too insignificant to be remembered? Do you wish it to remember?
WAoubkc.jpg
I do.

The lips halt for a very short moment, during which you think you catch a glimpse of satisfaction in their acrimonious composition. When the lips speak again, the ancient furniture inside the room tingles as if to endorses the surreal being.

XKZU6lo.jpg
Are you willing to pay the toll?
WAoubkc.jpg
What toll?

The lips freeze for a moment, creating an uncanny silence that suggests some kind of vague, grievous threat.

XKZU6lo.jpg
The game should not be played like this. Are you willing... to pay.. the toll?

Fine. I just want out of this place.

WAoubkc.jpg
I am.

The lips move as if they're tasting something irresistible to savor.

XKZU6lo.jpg
The toll shall be paid twice. Once now, once later. Light now, heavier in the future. Are you still willing to pay the toll?
WAoubkc.jpg
I am.
XKZU6lo.jpg
Do you know the mark you are looking for?
WAoubkc.jpg
Yes, a star with an eye on it.
XKZU6lo.jpg
Can you draw the mark?
WAoubkc.jpg
Yes, I can.
XKZU6lo.jpg
In what color will the mark be drawn?
WAoubkc.jpg
Crimson.
XKZU6lo.jpg
What is the most precious of all crimsons?
WAoubkc.jpg
Uh... blood?
XKZU6lo.jpg
Whose blood is the most precious?
WAoubkc.jpg
Mine?
XKZU6lo.jpg
What is the Crimson Toll?

This was not a question at all, but a declaration of what is about to follow...

YIShbht.jpg

XKZU6lo.jpg
Draw the mark. And do not forget that the time to pay the toll will come again.

With the ritual blade, I cut my hand and draw the symbol on the wall.

1dKwuXz.jpg

The dark creature fades away, revealing a stairway behind him.

mITBMci.jpg

WAoubkc.jpg
This better be good...
sFTIRhY.jpg

The Outsider approaches me with a confused look in his amber eyes.

Gc6SRJp.jpg
Where have you been? How did we come here?
WAoubkc.jpg
You don't remember anything?
Gc6SRJp.jpg
The last thing I remember is entering this accursed place. The rest is shrouded in the mists of forgetfulness. This house is meddling with our minds, stranger. I recommend leaving as soon as possible.
WAoubkc.jpg
I had to pay a price to come here.
Gc6SRJp.jpg
And what might that be?
WAoubkc.jpg
A pact with my blood to a dark being... a price to be paid now.. and another later. Lighter now... a heavier toll to follow later.
Gc6SRJp.jpg
It told you that you must make another sacrifice?
WAoubkc.jpg
That it did.

The Outsider is deep in thought but maintains its silence.

WAoubkc.jpg
Whatever. Let us leave this forsaken place.
tsLPlIn.jpg

WAoubkc.jpg
Not another goddamn light puzzle!

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
The game just keeps trowing these -5/-8 sanity at you for any little thing, over and over.
You would think that our Kalin would get used to the majority of this shit considering how much time has passed ever since the black day.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The ride never ends. That's why you need whisky to endure and replenish sanity. Just like real life.

RK47

Patron
63 - Turn?
As I open my eyes I can see the face of a middle-aged man in a doctor coat leaning on me. I can hardly focus due to the disorienting headache and extreme nausea from the bombardment of the light show. The fact that this man is talking right into my face is not contributing to the situation.

ZLvAbGC.jpg

glQZxbp.jpg
T-turn?

However hard I try, I cannot turn the sounds coming out of my mouth into cohesive words. The doctor continues with a pitying look on his face.

Y4YLLDG.jpg
Mr. Ibrahim, you've been experiencing what we call a malignant catatonic seizure, which is directly linked to your condition of advanced mental illness.
9ushfIE.jpg

The Dismal Man? I can see his face shifting - the mask is falling into place - this isn't real.

glQZxbp.jpg
T-tuh-TUH!... TURN!
Y4YLLDG.jpg
Oh, Mr. Ibrahim. There is no turn! It's all in your head. There is no game going.

The man uncomfortably leans on me.

Y4YLLDG.jpg
Hmm, what do you see on my face this time? From the look of your dilated pupils, I would say it's nothing pleasant.
glQZxbp.jpg
No turn?
Y4YLLDG.jpg
You see what I mean? I'm afraid these delusions of yours have become more and more disconcerting lately, Mr. Ibrahim. But rest assured, they will be solved very soon. Once and for all.

The doctor turns to a hulking orderly who looks terrifyingly familiar.

Y4YLLDG.jpg
Jack, monitor the patient for any kind of violent behavior and respond uncompromisingly.
KortFhc.png
Sure thing, Doc.

Jack... I know him. Familiar.
With an inconsiderate look in his eyes, the doctor turns to me one last time, then walks away.

b0PCPrw.jpg

QLLajcS.jpg

I peek at the bed next to mine. The Sleeping Baroness? Either this imagination is taking ideas from my head and forming whatever that could possibly fit into it - or ... I'm the one who's constructing an imagination based on - no. It can't be. This isn't real. All I can remember are flashes of the alien world after I touched that glowing glyph in the witch's house. The speaker crackled with a familiar jazz tune at odd intervals. The doctor's permanent cure to my condition may imply the end. I must escape before he can carry it out.

RK47

Patron
64 - Brian Surgery
I pushed aside the curtains from the stall next to mine. A familiar face comes into view. Isidore Schmidt, the antique store owner! He's playing with some useless junk that he coarsely put together.

ZtYooq9.jpg

qkMWtgs.jpg
Ah, what have we here? Ah, this is the Face of Rahu! The features of Svarbhanu are depicted with excellent craftsmanship. And this! Isn't that Leprechaun's Boun-

The old man suddenly stops, finally noticing me.

qkMWtgs.jpg
Yes? Are you looking for something in particular?
glQZxbp.jpg
Isidore...It's so nice to see a familiar face in this place! How have you been?

Is this really him? Or just a figment of my memory emulated? I decided to play along.

qkMWtgs.jpg
Well yes, I am Isidore Schmidt. Like my merchandise, I have been gathering dust here for a good long while. Tell me how I may assist you. Or, perhaps, how can you assist me?
glQZxbp.jpg
I need to get out of here, Isidore. This may sound crazy...but I was on my way to the Miskatonic University to retrieve the Necronomicon and ended up here.

There was a long pause when I finished that sentence. That sounds crazy alright. But Isidore's reply is devoid of concern.

qkMWtgs.jpg
I once had a copy of De Vermis Mysteriis but I don't have much information on that one.

I decided to ask him another question.

glQZxbp.jpg
Where are we, Isidore?
qkMWtgs.jpg
This is Schmidt's Antiques, or what's left of it. Oh, pardon me, you mean the district I presume? We are in French Hill.
glQZxbp.jpg
I see.

That confirms it. Whatever or whoever is creating this simulation is limited to what I know. Walking past Isidore's bed, I see another familiar face clad in patient's garments.

n5ldsKH.jpg

glQZxbp.jpg
What's happening, Marino?
4D6wyif.jpg
Can't you see, cornuto? We're in the nuthouse and that face of yours says you belong here.

He makes sure the doctor's out of sight and lights the cig he pulls out of his shoe.

4D6wyif.jpg
Since you're awake, let's talk about the ciggies you owe me. You were too blown out from my cocktails to pay yesterday and told me to remind you later, remember?
glQZxbp.jpg
This is bullshit.
4D6wyif.jpg
I used to say the same to myself, you know. Not once did I see a fucking change in the rate of bad things happening in my life. These days I know better. All of this is happening and you better come prepared. Where are my ciggies now?
glQZxbp.jpg
You'll have all of my cigs soon. Why the hurry?

He pauses and smiles.

4D6wyif.jpg
I can't argue with that. Consider this one on the house.
glQZxbp.jpg
You mentioned cocktails. They let alcohol in here?
4D6wyif.jpg
Cornuto, you still amaze me to this day. You know that I have ways of getting what I want, especially when it comes to precious "medicine".
4D6wyif.jpg
The rest involves sharing my trade secrets. Mai! I won't fucking do that. Just keep in mind that Marino produces the best and only drinks that make this place a little more bearable. If you have the cigarettes of course.
glQZxbp.jpg
Maybe later. Tell me about the other patients here.
4D6wyif.jpg
What can I say, cornuto? Just like you, they're all loonies. There's nutty old Isidore, who definitely has a thing for keys. There's the fool who thinks he's the manager of the Bank of Arkham.
4D6wyif.jpg
Beware that bastard! He starts screaming all of a sudden and you want to smack him in the face. Let's see, who else do we have in the shithole called Ward 10...
4D6wyif.jpg
We have Krogh, a real psycho if you ask me. He believes that a fanatical cult carved all those symbols on him, but the doctor is pretty sure he's fucking scarring himself.
4D6wyif.jpg
Oh, and we have the Baroness. The doddering grandma who sleeps most of the time because she believes she goes to the Dreamlands.
4D6wyif.jpg
And of course, there's you, cornuto! Who could still ask me a damn question like "Tell me about the other patients" after spending a whole fucking year in this place with me!
glQZxbp.jpg
What's your excuse for being here, Marino?
4D6wyif.jpg
Ah, here comes the sharp tongue of cornuto! Let's say I'm a dangerous man and I've done some bad things.
4D6wyif.jpg
Since this place is much cozier than Charlestown State Prison, voila! Marino Rossi became a mentally unstable man. I also have the right cousins.
glQZxbp.jpg
Marino, I want to get out of here.
4D6wyif.jpg
Look, cornuto, we're not in a fancy motion picture film where stupidly improbable things happen.
glQZxbp.jpg
There must be a way! The last thing I remember was that planet.
4D6wyif.jpg
Fanculo! Did you say planet, cornuto? You weren't this crazy the last time we talked. It seems you started taking some tourist trips into that little head of yours. But if that is the escape that you want, maybe I can help you, cornuto. I think I can help you escape into your head, permanently.
glQZxbp.jpg
Tell me about it.
4D6wyif.jpg
There used to be a fella in the bed next to mine before you came. He was the kind of loony that, you know, who goes to other places. Like you.
4D6wyif.jpg
And the doctor, not the current cold-blooded son of a bitch, the previous doctor, was trying a... How did he call it? An experimental treatment.
4D6wyif.jpg
He said, "Look Marino, we're going to re-establish this man's connection with reality."
glQZxbp.jpg
And?
4D6wyif.jpg
He left this fucking world completely! Bye bye! Addio! Never woke up. They carried him out like a potted plant.
4D6wyif.jpg
And... just out of professional curiosity, I happened to learn how to make that mixture. The previous doctor and I got along well. It's a real shame that Pickman guy ripped out his throat with his teeth.
4D6wyif.jpg
If you're so interested in returning to that fanfara going on in your head, it can be arranged.
glQZxbp.jpg
I need you to mix that cocktail for me.
4D6wyif.jpg
In life, nothing's ever easy, cornuto. Briefly, I don't have the main ingredient, a medicine called...what was it?

He takes out a tattered old notebook and starts scanning through its pages.

4D6wyif.jpg
Trovato! The name is Haloperiphedal. This stuff could even make a mammoth high.
4D6wyif.jpg
The problem is, they keep the heavyweights inside that cabinet over there. If you can snatch for me the thingamabob, maybe we can further this conversation, cornuto.

I glanced at the cabinet he pointed at.

glQZxbp.jpg
I'll find a way.
4D6wyif.jpg
I believe you. You're a maniac after all. Also, the cabinet is numbered 0. It used to be 10 like Ward 10, but the 1 dropped off.

What a coincidence, I smiled. I hear footsteps approach. Marino hurriedly puts out his cigarette with his shoe.

4Qm5OdE.jpg

Y4YLLDG.jpg
Mr. Rossi, if I ever pick up this smell in this ward again, some drastic measures will definitely take place.
4D6wyif.jpg
Like I care.
Y4YLLDG.jpg
Mr. Ibrahim, I wanted to inform you that I will start the operation to cure your condition shortly.
sH0M93L.jpg

He left grinning. The clock is ticking.

RK47

Patron
65 - One Way Out
I approach the familiar looking orderly waiting at the door. Carrion Jack.

IuwcLzF.jpg

glQZxbp.jpg
Do you have the key to that medicine cabinet, Jack?
lGYDZsp.jpg
I do. What's it to you crank?

I size him up. He's stronger than me at this current state and I'm unarmed. Best to think of another way.

30Xj9zq.jpg

The idea was to pickpocket the key off Jack, but he's way too alert. And then it struck me that I've been talking to the wrong man.

f4Dln7I.jpg

glQZxbp.jpg
Isidore, I need the key to the medicine cabinet. Perhaps you know something about it?

Upon hearing the word 'key' the old man's entire mental attitude instantly changes. His eyes grow dark, and I can see veins popping out on his wrinkled neck.

nGcoIwU.jpg
You... you...you deceiving, mealy-mouthed, insidious thief! How did you know I have key number zero?

He grasps at his chest, seemingly to protect something.

nGcoIwU.jpg
You come to my shop to part me from the most important piece in my entire collection?!
nGcoIwU.jpg
Do you have any idea what I had to go through to obtain it? I made the excruciating journey to the Temple of Solomon himself, and returned by the lightless path of Sheol!
glQZxbp.jpg
Isidore, I just want to borrow it. I won't break it this time. Promise.
nGcoIwU.jpg
Don't come any closer or I'll bite your fingers off! FILTHY THIEF!

His right hand would not leave his chest as his left points an accusing finger at me. It doesn't take a genius where the key is. I'll just have to wait until the old man sleeps and steal his key.

FSvr4VI.jpg

1xQMnr5.jpg

z5AywBa.jpg

hTQ6AMf.jpg

4D6wyif.jpg
My cocktail will usher you to planthood in no time cornuto. And don't you worry, I've heard that the plants at least have a lively love life.
4D6wyif.jpg
The old doctor used to say that everybody's pollinating everyone in that world.

He winks as he starts pulling out a couple of stained medicine bottles and a few tubes. I kept watch for any orderly that might approach. After a while, Marino is finished and hands over a bottle of his handiwork.

4D6wyif.jpg
Cornuto, I hear them coming! You better drink it now. We'll both be in trouble if they find that thing on you.

I stared at the bottle as the footsteps approach. No time to hesitate.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Krogh didn't had anything to say in the aslyum? Could have been fun if he had realized where he really is

RK47

Patron
66 - The Outer World
qeKscsS.jpg

I weigh my options - do I partake in this battle or just make my way out?
Clearly we're nowhere near the Miskatonic University - so ease of resupply is out of the question.
It's better to conserve our resources and make a break for it.

rSngdKt.jpg

6NPCz2q.jpg

4oL9Ojt.jpg

NtWcZ6D.jpg

5vBlcnt.jpg

We're in an alien world. There's no mistaking it. The purple grass fields. The unknown sky.

kW8JtAo.jpg

Two types of corpses litter the landscape. A plant-like race and the other is the more familiar brain-harvesting mi-go. They seem to be at war. For what cause is of no importance a the moment for something more pressing is screaming in my mind as I try to maintain my composure: How are we going to get back?

AkCINqq.jpg

RK47

Patron
67 - Another Man
1EG8LR5.jpg

ik3Px17.jpg

Queer particles of light flit through the beads and suggestions begin to soar through my mind.

K0upWTq.jpg
I was conceived to compensate for the imperfections of your existence, stranger. You're different from the race for whom I was wrought to serve. Such simplicity. You are an entertaining beast.

I feel the transference of energy in my hand as the entity begins to probe my mind.

K0upWTq.jpg
I am the one who knows. The entire time-space data of this moon was recorded into me. You are a frightened animal. You're alone in this vast land. Do you wish to learn? The race I serve learns by living through the experience of others.

Images assail my mind immediately. I find myself on an utterly different sensory plane, in a body completely alien to me. The stimuli flooding my senses grow in insufferable proportions. I fly cumbersomely over fungi covered planet.

This must be the same planet where I'm stranded at. I pass over wild fungal flora, prodigious craters, and Cyclopean structures whose architectural angles remain a mystery to men.

These lands are alien to me, but familiar to the entity in whose memory I am voyaging. If I can seize command over its advanced organs and senses, I might be able to gather more information about the planet. I focused all my senses and succeeded in securing a snapshot of the surrounding area.

K0upWTq.jpg
A new acquisition granted by experience. The integration will begin.

The ropy entity suddenly sharpens its appendages and bolt into the apertures of my clothing. By ways incomprehensible, the entity slides under my skin and into my flesh.

K0upWTq.jpg
Now you know.
7NRoSp9.jpg

T8yoLXP.jpg

As I try to cover the strange battlefield, I came upon a most miraculous sight: It's a fellow human being. He jumps out of his skin and turns to me, but the cry that should've come out of his mouth gets stuck in his throat. He's apparently mute.

glQZxbp.jpg
Easy there. I'm Kalin Ibrahim. I came from Arkham.
fv7Oqny.jpg

Suddenly, a sound that is audible only to him diverts his attention and he looks to the sky with extended arms. He seems seized by something. He then covers his ears with his hands and starts moaning and floundering like an ensnared animal.

glQZxbp.jpg
I've got to break him out of this trance.

I aim my revolver and fire a shot past his ear.

BjzauNG.jpg
Aiiie!! Ahh! My voice! It came back! My gratitude is beyond words, sir. I.. I am Wilbur Hampton.
glQZxbp.jpg
Did you come through that house from Arkham?

He nods.

BjzauNG.jpg
That odious, baleful man, whose face or lack thereof I cannot dare recall, implied to me in one of my visions that I shall find a gate that grants passage.
BjzauNG.jpg
If we can find that gate or whatever it is and somehow manage to attain a passage through it, then perhaps we can leave this place for good.
glQZxbp.jpg
I understand. Perhaps we should face our destiny together then?
BjzauNG.jpg
I'm in your debt and I accept your offer.
glQZxbp.jpg
How long have you been trapped here?
BjzauNG.jpg
Why, I haven't a clue for I've lost track of time in this savage place. But I can never forget my last night in Arkham, since it was marked by Robert E. Lee's surrender at McLean House, as I'd read in the evening paper.
glQZxbp.jpg
That long, huh? Surprising... but given the existence of such portals, time would work strangely.
BjzauNG.jpg
What are you implying?
glQZxbp.jpg
There's no easy way to say this, Wilbur. I'm from the 1920s.

He shudders and stares back with a vacant expression, unable to react. The conversation ends. And we move on through the alien world.

RK47

Patron
That alien surgery combat crashed all the time on my home desktop.
I had to bring the save to work laptop to get past it :lol:

And guess what this dude tells me:

6R8amT3.png

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Ah yes! Ironyuri's obsessive-compulsive stubbornness can truly move mountains. I vividly remember him dying near-endlessly during Fonline2's final Enclave mission, each time rushing in naked to fight those auto-turrets and claim his majestic prize.

RK47

Patron
68 - The Swarm
rYbUiHg.jpg

AfJvtwD.jpg

I don't know if sneaking around matters. All I did was avoid being caught on the shadows cast from overhead.

dnTw6rw.jpg

VFjeE6D.jpg

FwGtJii.jpg

pjNrc42.jpg

Deijovu.jpg

fn948Ht.jpg

Oi9nf0F.jpg

ajfCSpS.jpg

y1Wfah5.jpg

RK47

Patron
69 - Is it really over?
e1aBBnn.jpg

qVfffEH.jpg

1T10rhz.jpg

O0rmbU0.jpg

7EkQ2h8.jpg

XKZU6lo.jpg
Ah, we meet again.

Groups of Mi-Go start to swarm the sky above us. They seem to be showing deep respect to the dark entity speaking inside the black structure.

D0gVpd3.jpg

glQZxbp.jpg
You want my blood?! Take it!

I draw the ritual knife and ready myself.

XKZU6lo.jpg
Oh, no no no. No need for that. This time the Crimson Toll cannot be paid with your blood.

It grins... I dread the answer, but asked anyway.

glQZxbp.jpg
Then what do you want?!

The lips spoke slowly, as if savoring this moment.

XKZU6lo.jpg
This time it will be paid with the blood of another.
glQZxbp.jpg
You mean...

The eyes on the surface suddenly turned towards my companions standing behind me.

XKZU6lo.jpg
You are ruined.

More and more Mi-Go gather around us, their buzzing growing louder and louder.

kNz5t5f.jpg

glQZxbp.jpg
It's... someone I met inside the Witch House.
N4dAysw.jpg
I... I don't understand.
XKZU6lo.jpg
The Crimson Toll shall be paid with the blood of a companion. Pay. And I shall let you pass.
SS4NKfu.jpg

There's no escaping this.

4TJdj9f.jpg

I grip the dagger tightly and grit my teeth. So be it.

Ebt6tNh.jpg

glQZxbp.jpg
You have reached your objective, soldier.

The buzzing of the insects grew louder. The doomed soldier had to shout to be heard.

N4dAysw.jpg
Thanks to your leadership, sir! What are my orders, sir?
glQZxbp.jpg
Take this...

I trembled as I handed him the dagger. The soldier shows no hesitation.

N4dAysw.jpg
Is it going to be an assassination, sir?
glQZxbp.jpg
...something like that.
N4dAysw.jpg
Who's the target, sir?
glQZxbp.jpg
Only by killing yourself can you end the war. Otherwise you will be doomed to live it for eternity.
N4dAysw.jpg
Sir... I've followed you to this point. No one could stop us. Not the Heinies, not their mines, not the damned cholera that took Freddie and Wilson, nothing... Now you're telling me to end myself.
glQZxbp.jpg
This isn't living, soldier. Only suffering. What I'm giving you is peace.

I almost begged him to believe me.
The nameless soldier pauses. His moment of silence is desecrated by the rising cacophony of the Mi-Go.

N4dAysw.jpg
Permission to speak freely, sir?
glQZxbp.jpg
Permission granted.
N4dAysw.jpg
You took good care of me, sir. I'd like to thank you for that. And... I want to share something that I feel... A bad dream, sir... A nightmare...
N4dAysw.jpg
I feel... I know that this war will never end.. The enemy... As long as I continue, it'll be there. Wherever I look, Lieutenant...
N4dAysw.jpg
And my folks...they must be used to not having me around by now...

His voice crackles, but no tears came.

N4dAysw.jpg
Clarisse... she probably married him. Her neighbors' good looking son.

The wounds that took his life are bleeding again, permeating his uniform. The blood are his tears. The uniform turned crimson with regret.

N4dAysw.jpg
Tell me one thing, Sir. Was it worth all this? The madness?
glQZxbp.jpg
Yes. You played an important role in all this, soldier. We won.

There was a glimpse of smile on the soldier's shriveled lips before he stabs himself violently.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink behind the lake,
The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in
Dim Carcosa.

Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.

lightbane

Arcane
:necro:

Wow, what a complete mediocrity and waste of potential. The Codex review barely touches the writing, which is mediocre and functional at best, hilariously bad at worst, especially the "lol I cazy!" dialogues, which make the Malkavians look serious. It also has some bugs, especially magic, which are not mentioned here. In the lp below there's more info and it is more detailed:
https://lparchive.org/Stygian-Reign-of-the-Old-Ones/
Unfortunately, since it is written by a SA forum goer and the writer is part of the woke cult that discovered Lovecraft recently thanks to Bloodborne, he must be hysterically aggressive against works written by a man centuries ago, demonizing him at every point because MUH RACISM! Nevermind stuff like the hordes of black looter marauders rampaging in certain parts of America even today. Either way, I have to agree the writing is not too good: It is edgy, try-hard, certain situations make no sense (how did the mafia take over? Did all cops die from brain leak? WTF why is there a masked hero mention only to get her killed? For max EDGY points?), and, worst of them, there are modern-day memes that I'm certain they're intentional, like the inanity with the fucking indian called Chad for real (I double-checked and nope, the writing is not made up for this LP), or the not-Niggerthotep smacking lips, or a certain Mr. Hines having the blueprints for a certain radiation-proof suit stolen (and he's being harrassed by a not-publisher to boot).
Then there are oddly woke stuff in the game, like using female pronouns by default, archetypes that don't make too sense for a woman of that time, that superheroine bit that is palyed for laughs (badly) and so on. I thought that Turks were not pozzed like the rest of Europe.
Oh, and the game is blatantly unfinished to boot.
In any case, it's clear the game itself would benefit if the devs were more resourceful and educated, since compared to Fallout this game is a mess, even if they had to struggle with the Unity engine. Having the Big C show up only to make you lose SAN points was dumb, and the place is literally littered with references, including encountering the writer himself early in-game, which was subtle as a sack of bricks. I don't like how the MC loses SAN so fast and how the Outsider does as well, even though he's suppsoed to be somewhat inhuman. In fact, you lose Sanity for inane reasons, like seeing someone being murdered by a crazy mob, or fighting loonies that can scream REALLY hard. Having the Color out of Space be repurposed as a shitty anime-esque fight was dumb too.

Oh well, at least it doesn't have text overload like modern Obsidian games do. So far I didn't notice in this lp at least cringy Kickstarter backer shit being shoved in, which is a plus.

TL;DR: It could have been better if the devs had less ambition and a stronger sense of direction for this game, rather than shoving every thing they thought about Lovecraft no matter what. Hell, even the asylum encounter is done badly because the doctor is shown as hostile immediately.
Play this if you have no better game to play and you don't mind being ripped off by the ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom