Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Primordial Soup Nazi, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Primordial Soup Nazi Learned

Primordial Soup Nazi
    Project: Eternity
    Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis
    Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106079894

https://www.baremettle.com

https://www.gog.com/game/exanima?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Show Spoiler
    And on the Kickstarter cRPG horizon, a challenger arrives.

Whatcha guys think?

If it were me, I would have given at least a quick object placement pass before releasing these screenies for crowd-funding purposes, but it sounds like their model for a death system should eliminate save-scumming easily enough.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    Animations looks like drunken puppets fighting. There is a disconnect between what the legs, and what the arms do. Walking, and running looks weird as well.

After watching the video I still don't know how the combat will work, what are the controls like?

^ Top  
  3. bminorkey Liturgist

bminorkey
    Everything notable they say in that page is about the technology, their premise for the RPG is completely generic and thoughtless. They don't want to make an RPG, they want to play around with their (actually quite cool) RPG Maker. The game is going to be bad but maybe they'll make the technology available, so if you like modding you could pledge in the hopes of that. :obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Not as long as they're unwilling to promise the modding tools being available to people who buy the game :rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    What a generic name. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Looks like Izo Oblivius for me, no tools for modders no jewgold.

^ Top  
  7. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    "Originally inspired by our belief that we could do almost anything"

Well why didn't they just invent a money making machine that also gives you blowjobs.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Am I the only one who feels a little extra reluctant to pledge to British projects?
    They all seem so Peter Molyneux'y to me (British game devs that is) -- if not outright scam'y. It's like their project scopes are always so fucking exaggerated. Yeah let's make a MMORPG on Kickstarter funds, hurr hurr hurr.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Primordial Soup Nazi Learned

Primordial Soup Nazi
    Project: Eternity
    Sui Generis update numero uno:

Sweet, another nondescript coming-of-age villager origin story!

They're getting rather defensive in the comments section, too. Between that, the bland screenshots, and the lack of stretch goals, its pretty obvious that nobody on their team knows how to market a product whatsoever. What some of these Kickstarter cRPG goobers (Loot Drop comes to mind, also) need is somebody to screen their project to who is willing to say "are you fucking retarded?" before they take these games to Kickstarter and embarrass themselves.

The more I see, the less hope I have of this game being at all worthwhile. Its a shame, too; it looks like they've got a great engine/worldbuilder, and the no-saves thing definitely appeals to me.

^ Top  
  10. empi Augur

empi
    No you should not pledge

/thread

^ Top  
  11. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Not if you value your money.

^ Top  
  12. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
  13. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Long-ish answer - their programmer/team lead guy sounds like some weird Molyneux/Blakemore hybrid, only not as crazy and certainly not as amusing. He promises much, he gets defensive even when met with smallest doses of criticism, and seems to think that we should believe that the game would rock because a) he said so; b) he's crazy talented; c) he's big fan of rpg games; d) crazy talented; e) he said so.
    [e.g.]

^ Top  
  14. 7hm Scholar

7hm
    Just pimp out your sister.

^ Top  
  15. Psquit Arcane

Psquit
    lol the combat, its like the guy is drunk.

^ Top  
  16. Statik Educated

Statik
    So the culmination of their ideas over many years of letting their imaginations run free and the ultimate role playing experience that knows no limits is generic fantasy plot #21: heroic farmboy is the world's only hope?
    :declining:

^ Top  
  17. Overboard Arcane

Overboard
    It can't be a decline if they weren't any good in the first place.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. LordDenton Savant

LordDenton
    Goddamit guys. I had 10 pounds pledged for this, but after reading the developer's quotes posted here, I had no choice but to cancel the pledge. :(

^ Top  
  19. bminorkey Liturgist

bminorkey
    An epic deconstruction that defies categorization or the greatest hoax since Molyneux? You decide.

^ Top  
  20. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Such evil masterminds!

^ Top  
  21. Mother Russia Andhaira Dumbfuck Queued

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    Codex 2013
    Stupid retards. Anyhow, their superior and smug attitude aside, the fact that this is real time and not party based should be more than enough to make the average codexian realize this will be utter shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    Maybe he should co operate with Moluneux, and gave description of Sui Generis gameplay as an extra prize of the curiosity game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Statik Educated

Statik
    Given the nature of kickstarter campaigns, though, one would expect them to attempt to lure us into thinking their project is something that's actually worth blindly throwing money at. Something that is not a typical fantasy RPG, for example. I see no reason to get excited for 'yeah you are a magical heroic villager, but this is totally not generic fantasy, we promise, lol you don't understand, there's A TWEEST!', especially when it's coupled with the smug attitude, and seasoned with a subtle touch of butthurt.

^ Top  
  24. Overboard Arcane

Overboard

So, your character is special because you know how to operate the quicksave and quickload buttons? I'm so astounded by the very ingenuity of the idea that I think I'll have to lie down now.

Yes officer I murdered all those people because my parents didn't hug me enough. Fucking retards.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)