Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suikoden

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
5 does appear to have an affection system of sorts.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, S5 has a somewhat convoluted 'Liking Points' system that with how in depth it is you'd think it would have a sizable impact on the game... but only really affects like five cutscenes, some unite attack damage, whether Georg joins you in one ending, and if you have access to the 'become knight commander' ending.

IPFreely

Educated
It's fucking criminal that this series is abandoned without being finished. We need at least one more proper game, not the JJ Trek Alt Universe shit that came out on the DS.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
lel

i was hoping they weren't setting up a certain character for an obvious betrayal to make the game longer than it needs to be

of course it happened

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
4 hour into Suikoden V on PCSX2, goddamn this is a slow-ass game. I've done more running around talking to people than I think I did in Planescape!

I gather it picks up soon, but I can see a lot of people would have got bored by this point. I guess that's why they made Sialeeds and Arshtat with such large fun pillows, to keep people interested through the build-up. Works for me lol.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
4 had a fairly long prologue section too but 5 is ridiculous

especially derping around Stormfist Arena

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I can't get over the fact the second main villain who's the same age as Sialeeds married a 10-year-old.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't get over the fact the second main villain who's the same age as Sialeeds married a 10-year-old.
Probably the more realistic portrayal of medieval politic? Or is this political marry the young heir only happens in drama?

Ash

Arcane
So without spoiling the game, what's so great about Suikoden? And if I try it out, should I just skip to Suikoden 2?
The appeal of Suikoden is two things - recruiting characters and the continuity between games.

So in other words, we should skip all of them. These are pitiful merits. Seriously.

After 15 hours or so of Suikoden II, here is my premature review because I'm giving up.

Gameplay: 4/10
Art: 7/10
Music: 5/10
Story: 7/10

It's not without merit and charm but my god is the gameplay boring and pacing a little off.
I need a good JRPG (with good gameplay) to add to this list but haven't found anything since Parasite Eve 2.

Last edited:

LJ40

Cipher
I need the kind of "augmented vision" that lets me think Parasite Eve 2 is a better JRPG than Suikoden 2.

How many hammer blows to the temple do you think it would take?

Ash

Arcane
I don't give a crap if it's a better JRPG or not you shitlord. I care if it's a better game. Which it is.

Yes, Parasite Eve 2 is ARPG-lite. Boo fucking hoo. feel free to continue the years long debate as to whether or not x game qualifies as an RPG. Whether JRPGs qualify as RPGs. Wether or not JRPGs are a subgenre of JRPGs somehow. And what is an RPG in the first place.

Hyperion

Arcane
I don't like your list, it's missing the single most monocled SNES game of all time:

Holy replay value, batman!

Another personal favorite that perfectly combined blobber combat, nice dungeons, automapping, and your typical storyfag JRPG goodness.

Most well known for being absurdly difficult compared to the Japanese version, had some fantastic in-battle graphics, monster design, and had an enjoyable soundtrack imo.

Shitty voice acting aside, character building was unreal with the way accessory crafting and equipment weight worked in this game. Infuriating minigames to get crafting material for the best items may break the endgame for lots of people. Damage numbers become absolute insanity with peak gear - 7 or 8 numbers worth.

Anyway, back to our daily scheduled commiserating of the death of Suikoden.

Edit: I always thought Suikoden 3 was the pinnacle of the series, most people disagree with me and find it one of the weakest.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
So without spoiling the game, what's so great about Suikoden? And if I try it out, should I just skip to Suikoden 2?
The appeal of Suikoden is two things - recruiting characters and the continuity between games.

So in other words, we should skip all of them. These are pitiful merits. Seriously.

After 15 hours or so of Suikoden II, here is my premature review because I'm giving up.

Gameplay: 4/10
Art: 7/10
Music: 5/10
Story: 7/10

It's not without merit and charm but my god is the gameplay boring and pacing a little off.
I need a good JRPG (with good gameplay) to add to this list but haven't found anything since Parasite Eve 2.
BvYPTJf.gif

1zx8rdK.jpg

lel I knew I had posted this in the wrong thread

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Edit: I always thought Suikoden 3 was the pinnacle of the series, most people disagree with me and find it one of the weakest.

Suikoden 3 was fantastic, just a bit hampered by obvious limitations when it came to transitioning to 3D. Story-wise it was also excellent. My favorite of the series too.

Soundtrack largely sucked ass though.

IPFreely

Educated
I actually bought the soundtrack (I was in Japan) before I was able to play the game.

I put it in my Discman in my hotel and just about threw the soundtrack out the fucking window after listening to the first disc.

It's grown on me since, but I was expecting Suiko 2's level of greatness, and I was massively disappointed.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, I don't understand what the fuck were they thinking with that shitty MIDI.

It has a few great tracks though:

Still, what a game.

Hyperion

Arcane
Geddoe's first 3 chapters were definitely the best part of the game from a story and character perspective, but his party, while good, was too heavily restricted. Ace and Queen are kinda useless. Hugo's Chapter 3 was the best before the parties merged. He had the most flexibility, most characters available (Plus, Mua. One of the best characters in the game, alongside Fred), and most freedom to travel (aside from Brass Castle in the first half) around and gear up, and test parties. Also, Fury Rune grinding.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Ace, dunno. Didn't he have a good unite with that mage. But Queen was one of the best characters because of Heavy Damage skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom