Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sunless Sea - an undersea trading and exploration game

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/failbetter/sunless-sea

https://www.failbettergames.com/sunless/

https://af.gog.com/game/sunless_sea?as=1649904300

So I noticed that a certain indie RPG dropped on Early Access yesterday. http://store.steampowered.com/app/304650/

Endless Sea, the project that Bioware helped out with, is now available for your purchasing pleasure.

Who's going to dive in? :mhd:

Last edited by a moderator:

uaciaut

Augur
Remember seeing the kickstarter of this and thinking it looks nifty as fuck, glad it will be out soon.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I was halfway-interested until the trailer said you could "ROMANCE YOUR CREW", as if that's the main selling point. Fuck that.

uaciaut

Augur
I was halfway-interested until the trailer said you could "ROMANCE YOUR CREW", as if that's the main selling point. Fuck that.

Where? I only saw "Lose your mind Eat your crew", no romance part.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I suppose romancing your officers will make it more easy to eat them afterwards.

buzz

Arcane
This isn't the Bioware thing, you've been told that several fucking times already. The BW thing hasn't been announced yet. It might be tied with the new IP that they've teased at E3 (lik a Fallen London RPG or something) or probably another Storynexus game like Fallen London but set in a Bioware universe.

I used to really like and play Fallen London back in the day when it was called Echo Bazaar. It was like a lite version of KoDP and Academagia. The system itself was very barebones but effective: you had 4 main stats with each being checked for one of the 4 types of encounters (fighting, stealth, investigation and persuasion). Everything played the same: some flavor text as description, one or a couple of choices on how to engage the situation, then a roll to determine if the action was successful or not. Then you had many side-stats that could unlock new story-paths or allow you to engage in other stories via alternate means, like reputation bars for various factions, how much were you affected by nightmares, relationship bars with people (friends, lovers etc.), how far are you in a respective investigation and so on.
You also had a bunch of cards that acted like the game's version of random encounters.

What I liked about it was the equal opportunity each playstyle got by having this simple system in place. Persuasion didn't mean rat diplomacy, it meant courting, telling jokes, writing poetry and things like that. And it was written pretty well, very atmospheric.
But I stopped playing it because it's a social game, and while it was pretty innocent at first, it got really bad later on. Less number of actions you can do, more exclusive stories and even areas to the people paying money and otherwise lots of stat grinding for the normal story parts. It's too bad, I really would've liked a full game based on the system.

EDIT: You can also make your own game using their engine *link*. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know the limitations but it might good for someone who wants to do a CYOA-type of experiment.

Angthoron

Arcane
I suppose romancing your officers will make it more easy to eat them afterwards.
U68XVmn.jpg

ezp5QQp.jpg

Also, now that I think of it, Merrill looks like a preying mantis.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
It's basically a text adventure with 2D graphics. But I like how moody and Lovecraftian the game world is. I watched a LP and it only made wanna play the game more, so that's generally a good sign, I guess.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game actually looks pretty neat. But 18 bucks, meh, will wait for christmas sale when GabeN will serve it to me on a (cheap) plate.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game actually looks pretty neat. But 18 bucks, meh, will wait for christmas sale when GabeN will serve it to me on a (cheap) plate.

I was thinking the same actually. And then I found myself thinking at how all the "indies" used to cost like 6£ tops on steam, and now that they have become banalshitboring they cost up to 18£, which usually is almost as much as I'm willing to pay for a title from an AAA publisher. Yes, I'm a cheap bastard and I almost always wait for sales.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i got it during kickstarter. plays okish, i hope they implement missing stories soonish.
It probably was the only thing Bioware contributed to this thing, romance writing.
the only thing bioware contributed to sunless sea is money via kickstarter.

Fallen London was a flawed gem, great narrative bogged down by fucking Facebook game mechanic. It had one of the best writing I've encountered in games (YMMV, OFC), it was certainly very atmospheric and many parts of the game which would have felt disjointed if less competent developers made them, worked really well together instead, creating a dark, macabre, but humorous and fantastic universe. Sadly, end part of the game consisted of countless grind, so I've dropped it. But if people behind Fallen London sometimes will decide to make a proper RPG, in vein of PST, or, hell, even an adventure a-la Sanitarium I'll give them all my monies.

As for romances - eh, Fallen London had them too, but they weren't integral to story-line, optional, and more of a little side-quests than main focus of the game. So I wouldn't worry about that at least. What worries me that I don't think that Failbetter Games could make a decent combat, and this game sorta kinda looks like FTL, so I'm guessing combat must play significant part of it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, something like FTL but with crew interactions would be pretty fun, even if it would end up having romances.

NiM82

Prophet
FwL0LZS.jpg

oPmmYkE.jpg

:dgaider:

Not been playing it long enough to give a real verdict, but so far it's pretty interesting and I'm enjoying it. There's lots of choice/consequence encounters with tons of brilliant flavor text. You don't really dialogue people, you simply choose whether to pursue encounters, the outcome of which isn't always obvious. The game will quite happily let you fuck yourself, many encounters are stat based and offer you odds, so you can take a chance with shitty stats. You can also go out into the unknown and die horribly from the outset.

I've had one (gay) romance so far. I encountered a dapper chap in London and opted to go have a drink with him, which reduced my terror level and started a romance. I got a locket out of it, when sailing I got an option to gaze at it (which reduced terror), later when I got back to London I met up with the chap again, which shed more terror. It thus far seems to be a simple mechanic for sanity control, but I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually stabs me to death or something. It doesn't seem particularly Biowarian, and is fairly inoffensive.

Only issues I've got thus far are:

General trading seems pretty pointless, there's no economy or apparent supply/demand outside of encounters.
You always seem to be getting chased, with generic baddies always hovering around ports; I'd rather combat encounters be fewer and more shocking. Can be a bit grindy, if you opt to fight.
Combat isn't anything to write home about, nowhere near FTL levels. You don't manage crew, simply have to balance stacking illumination, attacks and repairs. I mostly try and evade combat though, which is viable option.

Edit:

0cpjHO1.jpg

I do believe I'm about to get sunk by dickmonsters

Edit2:

xsIdbtL.jpg

No dickmonsters, just some anti social autists and irate monkeys

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom