Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Supcom: FAF

Are there (m)any codexers on FAF? I loved playing Forged Alliance in single player so I was pretty excited to find there was a community still playing the game. I think you can tell the quality of a game by the size of the community surrounding it many years on. Let me know if you fancy a game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
How is the multiplayer hosted? I have this game courtesy of Crooked Bee and wouldn't mind trying it out online. That said, my multiplayer skills for RTS games has waned to the point of being pretty much nonexistent. I also have pretty much no experience with playing SupCom outside of a sort of time-waster of me just casually building giant armies.

It's peer to peer afaik (or whatever the correct terminology is). If you have trouble connecting there is a proxy server that gets used. Casually building giant armies is actually what most people do tbh, there's a few turtly maps get played to death.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
How is the multiplayer hosted? I have this game courtesy of Crooked Bee and wouldn't mind trying it out online. That said, my multiplayer skills for RTS games has waned to the point of being pretty much nonexistent. I also have pretty much no experience with playing SupCom outside of a sort of time-waster of me just casually building giant armies.
You download client, create user name, and then play, don't forget to press x in lobby. Also when you'd play 1v1 you'd be killed in 3 seconds.

There is a cash prize tourney happening soon. http://forums.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10191

$500 in the pot, I think they're hoping to lure back some old greats with tourney's like this one.

Visionik, the owner of FAF, said that sometime in The Future(tm) there will be a $10k prize tourney funded by him. He wants to iron out the balance and bugs before then though so it's very hard to say how far away that is.

DramaticPopcorn

I would be up for any game with dexers, I kinda suck though

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Money spoils children. I think it would be much better when they would force SupCom to become noncommercial freeware, and get source code for both SupCom and SupCom 2 to use SupCom 2 grouping and unit handling/pathfinding, and to reduce CPU demand. (That LUA scripting really kills game on large maps with 5000 units, and 12000 wrecks.)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I see some Jagged Appliance moving from the group on a first place. (And I was too sleepy to even register.)

I got an easy group and mephi had mouse problems in our seton's game. I'd be really surprised if I can get past T_B__AMD. Still a nice $10.

Here's a cast from FAF's most popular caster seen as watching casts is how i got into playing online.

*Shameless self promotion*

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Hey Jagged, can you give some pointers on navy like which units are good for which side? I seem to get demolished whenever I play the navy.

DramaticPopcorn

Here's a cast from FAF's most popular caster seen as watching casts is how i got into playing online.

*Shameless self promotion*

GG man, I'm surprised ZLO is still around, pretty sure he's around since FAF inception

Hey Jagged, can you give some pointers on navy like which units are good for which side? I seem to get demolished whenever I play the navy.
Well it depends on the map and what faction you want to play but generally the most important naval units are frigs and destros, especially if you mean on ladder. Frigs are great, high hp/mass, good dps, get a good spam of them going and you won't do too bad. Give me some more details about map and stuff and i can tell you more.

DramaticPopcorn

You make me wanna play the game again, this is not good man T_T

praetor

Arcane
really fun match to watch. i really wish i had the time and will to get into SupCom again... (btw, Jagged Appliance , did you choose cybran because of your name or because they're the coolest? :P #cybranmasterrace)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Play against me, it's easy win in navy.

One of best naval unit is Megalith.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
My understanding is Cybrans have the best T1 navy units, UEF have good T2 and T3, and Seraphim have the best underwater capability. Is that correct? What about Aeon, what are they good at?

really fun match to watch. i really wish i had the time and will to get into SupCom again... (btw, Jagged Appliance , did you choose cybran because of your name or because they're the coolest? :P #cybranmasterrace)
Cybran are the best of course :salute:

My understanding is Cybrans have the best T1 navy units, UEF have good T2 and T3, and Seraphim have the best underwater capability. Is that correct? What about Aeon, what are they good at?
Generally correct i guess. Aeon have a strong navy, maybe the strongest. Their destro is great, the frig has been improved, they have hover shields+flak, cruisers with great AA and a good BS. I can't really write everything about navy here so narrow down you question and I can tell you some more useful stuff.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I see you doing amoral activities on FAF... YOU ARE PLAYING Setons.

You know what time it is.
hqdefault.jpg
Also:
scgamingrig.jpg

Last edited:
Seton's is good for when you're too drunk, high, or tired to play a real game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom