Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Super Secret City of Heroes Private Server Discovered. Drama Explodes

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, the guy that was hosting it paniqued and now hes MIA or something. Well see how it goes, but im thinking this will end up with semi secret servers and invites.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well the people running the show on this private server thing went radio silent yesterday, promised an update today, delayed talking about it, delayed again, and then put a brony in charge of PR and made an announcement that said nothing except they were in legal talks with NCSoft (what else is fucking new, fans have been talking to NCSoft since 2012), so that's basically gone about as well as you'd expect and the entire discord server is basically rebelling against them at this point. Someone else is going to have to step forward and organize an effort to get a private server going because these morons have no idea what the fuck they're doing regardless of how good their intentions are.

Okay guys, this entire situation is a mess of conflicting stories, power tripping, an outright attempt at murder by 8chan Anons, and all sorts of stupid bollocks. Here's where everything stands so far.
Good_goys.png

Also, the Issue 25 (Weird patch that Leo cobbled together and is the most fully working) server stuff leaked for everyone to use and this was included.

unknown.png

The /coxg/ discord has an archive of everything that has been leaked and everything everyone has said. Come join it if you want to look at that. And then leave afterwords. Look for it on google because invites don't work.

Final post from me about this. Right now as I mentioned previously the I25 server got leaked. Darling Leandro who lied to us for 6 years and still lied about his involvement in this whole affair (No involvement, then admin amongst many, then "rogue admin", then deleted his account, then was somehow involved in the test server shutdown,) told us to trust him and TonyV of Titan Network (who lied about his awareness of SCoRe whilst taking donations for City of Titans and Paragon Chat) to make a deal with NCSoft. Leandro had a tantrum because Innocuous, former head mod of the Discord and all around retard with good intentions but poor communication skills was involved and Leandro likes having tantrums after people call his shit out. Leo purposefully withheld the last of the I24 (the patch without Leandro's fuckery that's much easier to run on servers apparently) binaries hostage until Innocuous was made to leave. Eventually the coders got tired of this and released all the Issue 25 stuff they'd been working on. It's all out there now. Regardless of what happens next, we are going to get a private server. Hopefully away from this fucking mess.

Whilst all this was going on, Innoc and some other guys contacted Cipher. A guy behind legally safe private servers for Earth & Beyond and a couple other games. We got a server. At first it was another test server and everything was going to get wiped. Then suddenly it isn't getting wiped. Also Leo is involved again "purely in a technical capacity" but lol he's also head admin as per a forum leak but shush.

I'm not even scratching the surface here. I just abbreviated a week's worth of drama that feels like years worth. I'm not even sure I'm factually correct on everything because there has been so much distortion and gaslighting. (stop trying to fucking change the definition of the word to defend Leo ffs)

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know based just on my own observations some of that stuff in the 4chan summary isn't accurate, but again, there's a ton of fog of war right now. Has it actually been confirmed the server that's up right now won't be wiped? Because last I heard it was still intended to be temporary, and an obvious olive branch to the furious hordes who the reddit discord was trying to deal with after two days of massive PR clusterfucks.

My recommendation would be to wait for a server Leandro has nothing to do with either way. I do not trust that scumfuck.

I know based just on my own observations some of that stuff in the 4chan summary isn't accurate, but again, there's a ton of fog of war right now. Has it actually been confirmed the server that's up right now won't be wiped? Because last I heard it was still intended to be temporary, and an obvious olive branch to the furious hordes who the reddit discord was trying to deal with after two days of massive PR clusterfucks.

My recommendation would be to wait for a server Leandro has nothing to do with either way. I do not trust that scumfuck.
On the Torchbearer forums they've said they "probably" won't do a wipe now. But we don't know for sure. Also, what do you mean the 4chan summary isn't accurate?

Xor

Arcane

On the Torchbearer forums they've said they "probably" won't do a wipe now. But we don't know for sure. Also, what do you mean the 4chan summary isn't accurate?
The tranny war was started by 4chan in a fit of spergery, and Innoc has recently revealed his power level to have /pol/ tier opinions about trannies so I doubt that did anything to help the situation. I was in the server that whole time, and he was shit at communicating. So the things they were saying about him were probably largely true. Now, I don't agree with the SJW mob either. They're both shit and that's why I'm staying away from that server altogether and waiting for someone I feel like I can trust to put a server up.

Latest update! Leandro is such a scummy little shitheel that he has done the impossible and united Reddit, 4chan, 8chan, and Discord Trannies in hatred of him and his cabal. The team behind the current CoH Homecoming server is openly withholding code, some of which was worked on by coders who now can't access it. There is important code related to server queues, raids and basic server infrastructure that they are outright refusing to hand out. The server was promised to be open source and it is now becoming apparent that the Homecoming team want to be king of the Shitheap exclusively with a closed source. Every single coder is now united in reverse engineering code to replace what has been lost and break off Leandro's influence forever. All the discords are united in loathing for these pieces of shit. And trust me lads. They are getting shit done.

Xor

Arcane
My guess is that they're stonewalling to give themselves as much time as possible to be the only private server in the game, that way people will invest time into their server and will be reluctant to switch servers when a new one opens up. Fuck 'em, I'm playing on SCORE now but I'm almost certainly going to reroll on a new server when one opens up on clean i24 code because I really don't like a lot of the changes Leo made and he's being a little bitch about letting the community have input on that stuff.

The worst part about this shit is that it'll probably work. 90% of the community is probably going to stay on SCORE and Leo and friends are going to make bank when they start accepting public donations.

My guess is that they're stonewalling to give themselves as much time as possible to be the only private server in the game, that way people will invest time into their server and will be reluctant to switch servers when a new one opens up. Fuck 'em, I'm playing on SCORE now but I'm almost certainly going to reroll on a new server when one opens up on clean i24 code because I really don't like a lot of the changes Leo made and he's being a little bitch about letting the community have input on that stuff.

The worst part about this shit is that it'll probably work. 90% of the community is probably going to stay on SCORE and Leo and friends are going to make bank when they start accepting public donations.
Two updates to neuter your blackpill. One, the coders are working night and day. They estimate it'll take two weeks to a month at most to replace the withheld code. These guys are miracle workers with a hate boner for the Homecoming team. They were lied to and now want to show up Leo and Cipher for the lulz.
Two, more I24 stuff has mysteriously leaked. Things that no one else has. The coders are looking it over to see what it is exactly. But it looks to me like the Dev who leaked everything to Leo in 2012 is getting tired of his shit.

Xor

Arcane

Two updates to neuter your blackpill. One, the coders are working night and day. They estimate it'll take two weeks to a month at most to replace the withheld code. These guys are miracle workers with a hate boner for the Homecoming team. They were lied to and now want to show up Leo and Cipher for the lulz.
Two, more I24 stuff has mysteriously leaked. Things that no one else has. The coders are looking it over to see what it is exactly. But it looks to me like the Dev who leaked everything to Leo in 2012 is getting tired of his shit.
Or another dev who still had some shit lying around on a USB in a closet somewhere is involved in all this and decided to help out or something.

Even when the i24 code is complete and ready to deploy, it's still likely going to be way less stable than the existing i25 code. The problems with that have just been scaling issues; too many people for the hardware they have available, plus whatever shitty code Leo wrote not being designed for that many people. But it's the nature of every coding project that bugs will exist, and even if people are rigorously testing what they're working on internally they won't be able to even set up an accurate test environment until they can get a real server going with enough people on it. So don't expect the i24 code to ride in and save the day immediately, because I'd expect it's not going to be very stable when it first comes out, and it might take weeks for it to get to the point where it's playable. Such is the nature of software development.

My point is, though, that at this point people have already put a few weeks into Homecoming and people are generally lazy, so even when new servers go up they'll need motivation to switch beyond just "Leo is a giant dick." Realistically I don't know how many people even care about that drama enough to move when they've already got max level characters. I know getting to 50 doesn't take long in CoX - it can be done in 2 to 3 days by casual players who know what they're doing - but again, motivation is everything and people are lazy.

I don't want to see the Homecoming team keep the entire community boxed into their private server. They've acted very shady, and to me have seemed anti-competitive. Now, it's possible I'm wrong and they just want to keep the community together in one place for altruistic reasons. But even if that was their goal it's not a realistic one. The best thing they could do for the community would be to open up and give everything they're holding back to help the development of i24, and let the community have full control of the game's future development. Instead they're sitting on their hands and stalling. The other servers will come one way or another, and the community will peal away from Homecoming one way or another. Private servers always die eventually, through drama or legal action, and everyone will scatter to the four winds and start over.

Huh. Well I stumbled upon an ancient cache of Cow's screenshots and goofy shit and sitting there nice and pretty was a 2004 picture of my Commander Keen character! Had to give him a towel-cape though. The cloth physics are irresistible to me.

GHGwWi4.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom