Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Supernatural post-apocalyptic RPG Graywalkers: Purgatory out on Early Access after six years

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dreamlords Digital; Graywalkers: Purgatory

Back during the glory days of Kickstarter in 2013, there was a crowdfunding campaign for a game called Graywalkers: Purgatory, described by its Manila-based developer Dreamlords Digital as a turn-based strategy RPG "set in a supernatural post-apocalyptic world where Heaven and Hell merged with Earth". A cool enough concept you'd think, but the campaign failed, so a year later they tried again and succeeded with a lower funding goal. Obviously it's been quite a while since then. It seems that at the end of 2016 Dreamlords announced that an Early Access release was imminent. In reality, the game's Steam page was launched at the beginning of 2019...and now a year after that, it's finally actually out. I don't know much about this game, but I have to respect that dedication, plus I feel a little bad about not posting about it back when it was crowdfunded. So here's the latest trailer and a snippet from its Early Access FAQ.

Why Early Access?
“Graywalkers Purgatory was launched on Kickstarter in late 2014. It successfully got funded and our experience there has taught us the value of feedback from the community. This is why we are here in Early Access, to hear what you the fans think of the game, and hopefully improve it from there.

Our goal with the feedback is basically to achieve what could be the most fun we can deliver with the game. We know that we would not be able to make everybody happy but with your feedback, we would know what most of the community thinks, and take that into consideration in our decisions.

In addition to feedback, it also gives us time to fine tune everything about the game so that when we do a full release, the game will really be stable, optimized and will have as few bugs as possible.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“The reason for our Early Access is to get feedback from the community and then to implement those into the game. Thus, we are trying to be dynamic and flexible with regards to our schedule in order to release a game that will be worthy of your time and money. Our goal is to have the full release in about 9-12 months. This is of course not final and can possibly be shorter. We definitely want to get the full game to you as soon as we can, but we also want to make sure you get the game you want and deserve. In the end, it will mostly depend on the amount of feedback we get feedback from the community and then to implement it into the game”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The biggest difference from Early Access to the Full Version will be the Single Player Campaign. Though you will be able to play almost all of the features of the game in Early Access, we will not be releasing the Single Player Campaign. We want to keep the epic story we have crafted as a surprise for you to discover when the full game comes out.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Graywalkers Purgatory is currently in Alpha. Many of the foundations and systems for the game are done though there are still things that need to be worked on and improved.

We do have a road map for our Early Access. When first released, it will feature our "Mission Mode" initially. With this mode of play, players can choose from many different missions available to them. As they complete more missions, additional missions will appear. The focus here is tactical combat. Each mission will be part of a story arc and each arc normally focuses on a specific faction.

Another mode added is the Preludes mode. This mode of gameplay is basically equivalent to short story modules featuring one of the main Graywalkers in the story. Each monthly update will feature a new character being added to this roster. In the release, there will be only 1 prelude character but more will follow.

As Early Access progresses, we will be adding more features, until the game is feature complete.”

You can grab the Graywalkers Early Access build on Steam now for $25, with a 15% launch discount until next week. I definitely wouldn't bet on them making it to full release ahead of schedule though.

Skdursh

Savant
The trailer doesn't really inspire much confidence. Generic "epic fantasy" music over a trailer with no spoken word and information presented as plain font slapped over random flashes of gameplay is a giant red flag in my book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom