Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

DarthBehemoth

Learned
quote from the site (link) :
Enderal - The Shards of Order is a total conversion mod currently in development for Bethesda Softwork's Skyrim. The story of Enderal is not set in the Elder Scrolls world of Tamriel, but takes place in its own universe, creating a new, interesting world completely unrelated to Skyrim. Enderal is being developed by volunteers from the dedicated modding community SureAI, best known for their acclaimed Oblivion total conversion Nehrim – At Fate's Edge that was awarded “Best Singleplayer Editor's Choice” by moddb.com and “Mod of the Year 2010” by PC Gamer. Enderal bases upon the Skyrim game engine and aspires to become a role playing game comparable to professional game industry products. The continent of Enderal is the stage for an extensive, completely new and epic adventure.
Enderal is not only the sequel to Nehrim, but also takes place in the very same universe, just a couple of years after the events of the Nehrim story line. It aims to continue the tradition of the intensive and complex storytelling introduced in Nehrim. This basically means: What we do here is fantasy for adults, it is dirty and immersive, and there are no fairies. Nehrim's storytelling had some flaws that we want to get rid of – there will be more player decisions and deeper characters. In addition, the skill system will differ a lot from the one in Skyrim. Enderal will feature the known XP based skill system from Nehrim, improved with certain aspects that will help players to specifiy their characters in a more detailed way, thus intensifying the connection between player and avatar. Long story short, Enderal will be a classic RPG with alternative storytelling features. Be excited!

The site also features some screens. They look pretty good to be honest..

Discuss!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
They were the guys who did Nehrim, weren't they? That was better than oblivious, worse than skyrim. The first dungeon was kind of cool but after that the whole thing fell kinda flat.

Screenshots look pretty. Will remain cautiously optimistic.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The first dungeon was pretty sweet. But then there was this prolonged fedex quest and an obligatory NO YOU ARE HARRY POTTER plus trek to the highly visible MAGE SCHOOL in a place where magic is apparently illegal and what the fuck is this shit I lost interest at that point.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Man that dissonant music was fucking awesome. <3 Unless this is the greatest achievement of mankind for a cRPG there is no way in hell I am ever ever ever buying Skyrim.

Gord

Arcane
The first dungeon was pretty sweet. But then there was this prolonged fedex quest and an obligatory NO YOU ARE HARRY POTTER plus trek to the highly visible MAGE SCHOOL in a place where magic is apparently illegal and what the fuck is this shit I lost interest at that point.

As I understood it, this Baratheon guy has made most magic illegal (teleportation is an exception and there are licensed mages in his troops) in the cities, but still allows the monastery to exist - either because it's easier to control them when they are all in one place or because the head honcho of the mages is an old "friend" (they were both part of the rebellion against the "gods" but Baratheon changed sides when the gods offered him the reign over Nehrim). Only later when it's becoming apparent that they plot against him, he attacks and shuts them down.

Anyway, I'm somewhat looking forward to it. This time they want to make the (accessible part of the) world smaller, but provide more and better content. Maybe even some C&C.
We'll see.
Also I'm perplexed that no one has complained about the bloom yet... M:

Data4

Arcane
Huh... Nice screens. Kinda weird seeing other colors besides grey, white, and brown in the same engine that powered Skyrim.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
As I understood it, this Baratheon guy has made most magic illegal (teleportation is an exception and there are licensed mages in his troops) in the cities, but still allows the monastery to exist - either because it's easier to control them when they are all in one place or because the head honcho of the mages is an old "friend" (they were both part of the rebellion against the "gods" but Baratheon changed sides when the gods offered him the reign over Nehrim). Only later when it's becoming apparent that they plot against him, he attacks and shuts them down.

Pretty much. But I still don't understand why Barateon left all those mages practice magic, when it's clear that all they want is to eliminate him and let man rule over mankind instead of the gods

Gord

Arcane
Maybe out of fear that this will provoke an open rebellion?
Or because he still felt some last remnant of sympathy for his old companions. It's also not entirely clear at which point in the past he prohibited the use of magic, it might be that we are dumped into the middle of a rather gradual development.

My memory is a bit fuzzy about the whole story, though, I guess one could ask on the official forums what they thought about this.

Levarious

Novice
finally a reason to reinstall skyrim in the future.
Played through nehrim and while it was no golden scepter it was still a hell of alot better than oblivion and better than skyrim.

LoPan

Learned
How bizarre, never thought I'd find myself with a reason to touch Skyrim ever again. Nehrim did good with what they had to work with, the story, lore and world was interesting--very good dungeon design--but the game started to fall apart after the mid point and there really wasn't much to do past the main story, though I dare say there was enough.

The greater failings of Nehrim were due to the engine they worked with and Skyrim's engine is much worse--and much more rigid (as in stale)--than Oblivion's, so I can't say I'm optimistic. They wrangled a decent game out of the Oblivion engine, which is a remarkable feat, but I don't see how they'll be able to keep up in making a large world in Skyrim's engine since I'd imagine it would be much more time-consuming to make assets for, unless they are looking to make a game set in an even smaller world than that of Nehrim.

Nonetheless, I'd play it. Hopefully they won't waste time voicing it in English.

Deleted Member 16721

Nehrim was literally one of the best RPGs I've played in a long, long time. It is better than most RPGs that come out and aren't mod overhauls.

I'm not saying that lightly at all. Seriously, this game was really, REALLY good.

It's basically Gothic design meets Elder Scrolls. The world is static without level-scaling, there are challenges if you venture off the beaten path and there is a great sense of natural progression.

Oh, and the world is gorgeous, with beautiful paths that lead to new locations and plenty of places to explore and hand-placed loot find. I know that sounds kinda dumb, like, wow, it has beautiful paths. But these aren't your typical paths in an RPG. They are beautiful and atmospheric and walking the roads is fun in itself.

The one quest has you trek across the world and it was just an amazing journey. You'll see when you get that far.

It's got a large world, although probably not as large as Oblivion. But again, it's hand-crafted through and through. You can go to some super hard dungeon right from the start if you wanted to and the enemies would be too difficult.

Also, it's got post-game content. Not just a little, but literally, entirely new, expansive areas and quests open up AFTER you beat the game. And the best part is, most of that content is like Game Jam stuff. It's very creative, fun and completely unexpected.

There are some downsides. Many NPCs have nothing at all interesting to say. Not every NPC is unique like in Oblivion. They just didn't have the time or resources to accomplish that.

But otherwise, this game is stellar. If you're a fan of Gothic design or Elder Scrolls, I urge you to download Nehrim and play it through.

I thought the main quest was also excellent with a lot of neat surprises. Just play the game, folks. :)

Edit - I also interviewed SureAI awhile back about Enderal. You can find it on RPGWatch if you'd like to see it. Warning - it's probably a year old, but I did ask questions about the basic gameplay design and mechanics, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Despite the praise, I never really liked Nehrim, will still try this one and maybe give Nehrim another try.

tet666

Augur
Did they got Hitler to VA some parts?

No and it may be news to you but he actually died 71 years ago and WWII is over so you and your folks can come out of your shelter now it's relatively safe up here.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Despite the praise, I never really liked Nehrim, will still try this one and maybe give Nehrim another try.

Nehrim was weirdly balanced/ paced and, while some parts showed a lot of love and work, other parts felt like a hackjob.

Still I'll try Enderal and think about a hefty donation afterwards.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
This is fucking ANCIENT news... plus it's Skyrim/Nehrim talk in General RPG? Maybe this thread belongs in popamole subforum, or Retardo?

Nehrim's stat system worked differently than the TES system, and Enderal's won't emulate Skyrim's either (it has attributes). Plus Nehrim had better world building and NPC interaction than Oblivion, and I expect the same with Enderal. So no popamole.

This is fucking ANCIENT news... plus it's Skyrim/Nehrim talk in General RPG? Maybe this thread belongs in popamole subforum, or Retardo?

I've been following Enderal for the past year or so.

It gets released on July 1st, so no, this is not "ancient news" as you claim.

Looks 1000X better than Skyrim which I got bored with after killing 2 dragons and had to hang up for good.

Release July 1-3 of 2016

Launch Trailer:

Huh, so the Protheans Pyreans were a highly developed civilization that were suddenly wiped out during a Ascension Cleansing by the Reapers High Ones. They left behind an imprint of slaughter on a massive scale, that also hinted at a deus ex machina which would allow following empires to fight back. The High Ones mind screwed someone who formerly had major clout to act as their mouthpiece/instrument of return.

Am I going to find a surviving Pyrean in a magical stasis cube in the third act?

But in all seriousness the comment section of the trailer is jam packed with entitled shits. "Well yeah it was developed in Germany by Germans but couldn't it have been in English first?"

I'm from the US and I still want all of them to die in a fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom