Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Surviving the Aftermath - post-apocalyptic colony builder from Paradox

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Okay, so as a good Paradox Whale (TM) I bought this early access title. So far it feels like a reskin of Surviving Mars, with less exciting features, and what feels like a smaller map. Also getting a bit of Depraved vibe... Again this is early access so I feel like only 50% of the game is really there (I hope). To give you an idea you build up your settlement in a limited terrain while having an overworld map to interact with. The overworld map is divided into regions, that you must explore first to discover what stockpile of resources (basic stuff like planks of wood, plastic, research...) they hold, some are guarded with raiders/bandits that you can kill.

I generated 3 different colonies with different starting conditions (easy, "normal" and hard). So far I did not feel any real challenge difference. Sure on the hard settings I had less fertile land and had to deal with more nuclear waste disposal, but nothing a fully staffed medic can take care of. I mean you don't even really need actual medicine resource to treat most ailments. I have not figure out yet how to get plastic or concrete besides "mining" them.

TLDR: So far the gameplay feels rather bland (like someone forgot to add salt or spices to the food), in between Surviving Mars and Depraved.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Funny, for me the similarity to Surviving Mars is the least pronounced. It's way closer to Frostpunk or Rimworld (haven't played Banished). Anyway it's useless trying to guess the quality with games like this during EA, Surviving Mars stopped being a buggy, boring mess only a year into the release or so. But I do think the basis is solid.

Norfleet

It's a Paradox game, what did you expect? All Paradox games are buggy, half-finished messes on release. Pre-release versions will be even worse!

Mortmal

Arcane
It's way under usual paradox games, very bland, dumbed down , no depth at all .It's more boring than my one liner posts.

i61ed8lwlk241.png

lightbane

Arcane
A woman that's ugly, likely fat and wears glasses. The identifiers of any SJW-friendly dev. Also Epic Store, because fuck you twice.

Hopefully Corona-chan will wipe out these retards.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page already?

It's standard 1-year exclusivity, from the description of the trailer:

The Early Access on Steam will launch on October 22, 2020.

Maybe they're going to release a demo in Steam Game Festival. That would be funny.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...-based-iceflake-studios/#.XxGhKFRjnVE.twitter

Paradox Interactive Acquires Finland-based Iceflake Studios
Developer of Surviving the Aftermath Now Operating as Paradox’s Ninth Internal Studio

STOCKHOLM and TAMPERE, Finland – July 17, 2020 – Paradox Interactive, a publisher and developer of games worth acquiring, today announced the acquisition of Iceflake Studios, a developer located in Tampere, Finland. This brings the total number of studios owned and operated by Paradox Interactive to nine, with locations in six countries.

Iceflake Studios was founded in 2007 and has developed games for PCs, consoles and for all current VR and mobile platforms. The studio is currently developing Surviving the Aftermath with Paradox, a survival management-strategy game now available in early access on PC and Xbox.

“When we started our discussion with Paradox, we knew that we had a very like-minded approach. Our collaboration with Surviving the Aftermath has been excellent and showed how similar our approach to development is. So when Paradox suggested that we could become part of the family, we were thrilled,” said Lasse Liljedahl, Co-Founder and Studio Manager at Iceflake. “It did not hurt that we were fans of Paradox games ourselves, to begin with! This new step helps us to focus on our dream of becoming one of the best developers in the game genres we love so much.”

“The collaborative efforts we’ve shared thus far with Iceflake have given us all the confidence that this is a natural fit,” said Charlotta Nilsson, COO at Paradox Interactive. “Surviving the Aftermath fits the Paradox portfolio perfectly, and Iceflake has shown themselves to be the kind of partner who can help us create more titles in our core genres. Turning this relationship into a long-term partnership is an easy decision, and we’re eager to share more great games with our audience in the years to come.”

Iceflake Studios joins the rapidly growing family of studios at Paradox Interactive, which also includes Paradox Development Studio in Stockholm; Paradox Arctic in Umeå, Sweden; the Paradox development team in Malmö, Sweden; Paradox Tectonic in Berkeley, California; Triumph Studios in Delft, The Netherlands; Harebrained Schemes in Seattle; Paradox Tinto in Barcelona, and Playrion Game Studio in Paris.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
how is it now? is it playable? is it still boring after couple of hours?
If you played that the moment it hit EA like me it was just a stump of a game, ofc it was boring fast. I've been following the game tho and they're adding wads and heaps of layers every few months. I haven't reinstalled it since coz next time I play I wanna experience the whole package but on paper they seem to be doing a good job.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I played the demo a few months ago,and it was ok game but pretty easy.

Does anyone else gets annoyed at the architecture of the postapo ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Releasing on November 16th:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom