Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Wait... there is pathfinder Obsidian rpg in production ?
No, there's a digital card game based on Paizos "Golarion" setting in production at Obsidian.

They might do more with the license in the future, but that's all we have so far.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And it looks better than Josh Sawyer's Pillars of Excrement in every way too. :smug:

At the worst it's bound to be just as streamlined and boring.. err sorry... consistent and balanced as Sawyer's "totally like IE and totally the game I wanted to do until after you give me money and then it's neither" scam.

bussinrounds

Augur
Looks like more of the type of thing to kill some time with bros, in between proper sp cRPG sessions. (best case scenario)

I know it's not saying much, but it looks better than some Diablow type shit, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
As others have said - nothing's confirmed but there are speculations that they might do a Pathfinder CRPG in the future, since they are working with Paizo and using the license. The card game isn't what I was talking about. Just hopeful speculation...

If marketer claims he can't sell game cause it doesn't look ADHD enough in motion maybe he should look for another job? Reminds me of that whole "we'll sue you if you don't give us orange screenshot" idiocy.

TomatoJuice

Educated
After years of lurking i create an account to trash this "xXxHARDCORE-RPGxXx" game.
And then it looks like it could be at least passable.

nikolokolus

Arcane
If marketer claims he can't sell game cause it doesn't look ADHD enough in motion maybe he should look for another job? Reminds me of that whole "we'll sue you if you don't give us orange screenshot" idiocy.

I'm certainly not defending their incompetence, but I sort of imagine the douche canoes that work for Hasbro trying to sell chess vs. Hungy Hippos. The first one presumes you are targeting people with a brain, the other presumes mongoloid subhumans as your lowest common denominator. One definitely seems like an easier sell (especially when you think about the kind of people you find in marketing departments).

Perkel

Arcane
No, there's a digital card game based on Paizos "Golarion" setting in production at Obsidian.

They might do more with the license in the future, but that's all we have so far.

cool i guess. Though i would prefer they would focus on new IPs and other works instead of licensed games now that they have crowfunding.

Xenich

Cipher
I really think these marketing grads masquerading as game executives, grossly underestimate the appeal there is in the turn-based gaming. Divinity Original Sin held the top spot on Steam for a month with only word of mouth marketing - there is an audience.
Yup. Frankly it is really weird big publishers don't have AAA turn based games in their portfolios. Everyone wants Skyrim numbers but strangely enough no one seems to care about even bigger Pokemon sales. General public is in no way prejudiced against turn based systems, why are publishers?

Because publishers are comprised of idiots that used to tease table top players in school while they took a business marketing major because they were too stupid to handle anything more complicated.

Xenich

Cipher
After years of lurking i create an account to trash this "xXxHARDCORE-RPGxXx" game.
And then it looks like it could be at least passable.

How is that? The more I read about it, the more I look into it, the more I think it is going to be garbage. /shrug

Perkel

Arcane
Just no. Turn based is more accessible than real time clusterfuck.

Not for a marketer.

It's funny considering fucking pokemons games which have turn based combat. Just one game from that pool of games sold more than all RTwP games combined and then some.
Most of Jrpgs were turn based be it simple or more complcated and they sold more than RTwP
Most of mobile games are turn based...

even mainstream popamole can't seem to decline turn based incline

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay. The Good Stuff: It's RTwP. Which is, you know, better than just RT. At least this is not blatantly BG: DA 3. In which case no one would have needed convincing that we're dealing with a shit game of the grandest magnitude.

The Bad Stuff: Pretty much everything else. Popamole co-op. Looks like a bad case of consolitis, even though it's apparently PC only? Lol wat. FR was raped in 4th, I don't know how much they have reversed in 5th. Devs with no proper experience. An "interpretation" of the 5th ed. rules will be used. Anyone who thinks this looks better than PoE at this stage is seriously delusional or has shit taste in games.

What We Have Not Seen Yet: Micro-transations for new classes and new DM stuff.

Conclusion: :killit:

Multi-headed Cow

Yes, it's D&D...and it's apparently PC only and not looks SO actiony:
Those minimaps! It's legit, these are ex-Bioware devs.

(i still have no idea how Mr Neo Scavenger avoided being turned into a pod person)

Multi-headed Cow

Is there anything at all that indicates this is different than generic, co-op crap? Everything I read and see so far looks like utter co-op crap. Any reason some people are optimistic? Something I've missed?
Basically everything they've said about it could be said about Neverwinter Nights as well. Which was/is the best D&D bro-op multiplayer RPG, and had a dynamic DM mode where a player could adjust shit on the fly, and had a toolset to make your own adventures.

So basically it boils down to if this is a real NWN2 or not. By that I mean tolerable adaptation of D&D rules (Haven't looked at a 5th edition book so I don't know what the fuck's going on) and a super easy to use editor like NWN1, where a reasonably normal person can bang out an adventure over a few weekends. If so it could be fantastic since you could just ignore the multiplayer if you wanted and feast on some good (And a whole lot of shit) player made adventures. If the editor's too complicated to do even simple shit quickly (NWN2) then that'll kill the dream, and if the editor's too simplified and doesn't have any scripting in it then that'll kill the dream as you end up with kill 10 goblin quests because the game doesn't allow anything else. And then there's always the chance they just fuck it up mechanically and/or D&D 5th edition is shit and the basic gameplay itself is bad, which kills the crab.

It's about as promising looking as a Bioware game can get but there'll be no way to really tell for sure until it's released and people can really get all up in the editor.

eremita

Savant
Well, after fucking around with NWN and NWN2 (+mods), consider me hyped as fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom