Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Feb 6, 2015.

1. FuriousGamer87 Arcane Patron

FuriousGamer87
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well, to be fair, when you say you are inspired by something, you don't need to pay royalties or have your creativity shackled by their mistakes and demands. :M

^ Top  
  2. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    I thought you liked DA:O? This is apparently from the "members of the leadership team that brought you Dragon Age™: Origins".

^ Top  
  3. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    To all those that talk about the next neverwinter nights in terms of mods and DMing.... Let me be clear, its not coming, it never will.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "I'm an optimistic guy."

Why lie?

^ Top  
  5. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Looks like a D&D moba with cooldowns and everything, interesting and with those credentials there should be lots of elven on dwarf sex

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    I assume Hasbro/WotC is going to want to milk as much money out of this as they can. In which case I doubt very much they'll release an editor. Pure speculation on my part, but given recent trends in vidya gaemz development, I'll bet they try to monetize this by putting a twist on microtransactions - Beyond the introductory adventure (which will probably be no more than a few hours long) you'll have to purchase "modules" to keep extending the game. They'll pitch this as being "just like it is with the tabletop game!"

Who knows, maybe they'll prove me wrong.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Axe Father Learned

Axe Father
    I second the "half-assed NWN" observations. NWN was a very rough game, and the toolkit and modules made for it were the main reason to buy it. This game is likely to have much less in terms of out-of-the-box customization, and it seems they are making the same mistake that NWN did, I.E. the campaign will be boring as fuck because it was designed around co-op so everything is a banal fetch quest.

Either way you slice it, even if they do release editing tools, it sure as hell isn't going to be a game to get even a year after it is released. If you're gonna buy a game because of mods, there's gotta be a proven selection of them before you spring for it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Rostere Arcane Patron

Rostere
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    "D&D 5E RPG with optional co-op"?

It thought it appeared more like "D&D 5E co-op RPG with optional single-player".

^ Top  
  9. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Damn, I unsubscribed from this thread at the wrong time.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  11. Rostere Arcane Patron

Rostere
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Ugh, dat quest log on the right.

MMO banal, shit, boring quest design incoming.

^ Top  
  12. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    So is this using MMO cooldowns?

^ Top  
  13. Rostere Arcane Patron

Rostere
    From the looks of the kool-Downs timers on the abilities in the screenshots, yes :popamole:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. kris Arcane

kris
    They sure have big insides of the houses in the Sword coast. some doorframes are even made for Ogres. No, seriously, look at the size of every room displayed in their screenshots, they are huge. Or the characters tiny, if you will.

^ Top  
  15. getter77 Augur

getter77
    Well, there's at least some chance of this being good---quite surprised to see the aggressive pre-order strategy they've gone for, though for something with this much clout I'm not surprised they've gone a traditional route as opposed to aiming for something like Kickstarter.

The key thing going forward is more details provided by the team members directly, especially in terms of how they are actually intending to up the ante versus the likes of NWN and whatnot---IF they are aggressively ambitious at this, even if they stumble a fair bit, then it just might actually have a chance versus the passive resting on (presumed) laurels that was Neverwinter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Trodat Erudite Patron

Trodat
    From https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/44-so-who-are-the-writers/

Dunno, will probably be better than DA: Inquisition, tho that's not saying much.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.mobygames.com/developer/jay-turner/credits/developerId,179406/

Quite the jack of all trades.

^ Top  
  18. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Is anyone actually expecting the writing to be good? It will probably be something along the lines of a Faerun where the entire population is replaced by Joss Whedon characters.

The combat on the other hand might turn out to be decent.

^ Top  
  19. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I still can't wrap my head around the fact that some people are responding to "why r u optimistic" with "d00d it looks like NWN" :S

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  20. AbounI Arcane Patron

AbounI
    I don't know what it will worth (and who can knows it now), but:
    So the writing parts are under the WOTC approval.So at least, we can expect a respectfull lore stories and characters

^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Why do you say that?

I've noticed that ever since PoE, people have started to go "well, the combat looks like it might be decent" on pretty much every other RTwP RPG. Pillars of Eternity - unintentional rehabilitator of real time with pause on the RPG Codex!

(Of course this backfired very badly when some people suggested that Dragon Age: Inquisition looked like it would have better combat than Pillars :P)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Not excited.
    I don't have anything witty to say.
    Just, I guess, a few things look good, several things look bad.

Also, I tire of promises.
    Just get it out and we'll see. And no preordering, dude.

^ Top  
  23. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    What the fuck? This is real? What the hell am I looking at?

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Too many "awesomes". Probable brain damage from prolongated Bioware employment.

We'll see.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Haha, yep, BioWare's dirty little secret. It was forgotten very quickly. I wonder if anybody on this forum has ever played it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)