Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Reading these kinds of press releases makes me realize how much I hate press releases in this business.

imweasel

Maybe it is "hardcore" because it has two awesome buttons instead of just one.

Azeot

Arbiter
[...]
OK: I don't blame you if your first reaction to that generic pitch is "so what?" However, what if I told you that the team at n-Space is currently staffed by influential ex-BioWare members that helped sculpt series such asDragon Age, Baldur's Gate, and Mass Effect? That pitch suddenly sounds a lot more interesting.

What is n-Space working on, exactly? Unfortunately, while I couldn't suss out exact details from n-Space President Dan Tudge or CEO Dan O'Leary (the full reveal is coming on Feb. 12), they're committed to the idea that this game, when it's finally unveiled, will wow people, [...]

wow.
I'm so wowed.
Such wow. Can't you see the wow?

Shannow

Waster of Time
"Old school" these days means early 2010's.

And it's supposedly a "high-profile action RPG".

So, I'm expecting this to be Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3. ;)
Fixed.

The only "exciting" thing about this, is which magical, old-school, awesome IP they come up with. *yawn*

I was going to point out, that codex is receiving quite a few good games and potentially good games, that fit our niches in some way. So it's only fair if people who like action "RPGs" from 2005-2012 era also get something "new". But then, they haven't been exactly starving for decades... So fuck'em.

So hardcore, i can almost taste it.
2ia4leajpg.gif

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
So these are the people who got tired when Bioware decided to go full on romances and shit? At this point, if it's anything like Dragon Age: Origins I will be happy because you can't really expect anything deeper than that from a console game.

Dorateen

Arcane
Maybe they mean Action RPG in the trendy new sense that just refers to a lot of combat. Otherwise...

A DnD game that is not turn-based (or at least provides a pause function) is no DnD game.

Xenich

Cipher
It's for xbox and ps4, so it will be probably shit ported over to pc.
You misunderstood me. It's for xbox, playstation AND pc. But by the fact that's not pc exclusive - read as "by the fact that it will be designed to be playable with a pad and not a keyboard+mouse" - it will probably be shit.

They aren't going to make it for PC, that is a bullshit claim. They are going to first design it for console, then... they will port it to PC and adjust it to make it appear to be a PC title. That is why it will be complete shit as all of its content will be designed first as a console game, limited by console hardware, designed with console limitations and inputs.

This isn't the first time these types of claims have been made. The whole "we are making it for PC" claim is simply a lie to avoid pissing off the PC crowd and lend their project some credibility to avoid the whole "Typical Console Crap" tag.

Xenich

Cipher
So these are the people who got tired when Bioware decided to go full on romances and shit? At this point, if it's anything like Dragon Age: Origins I will be happy because you can't really expect anything deeper than that from a console game.

See, this is what I hate though. Dragon Age: Origins wasn't a shining example of cRPGs. It was obviously console at its core and had many short comings due to that design focus. It is sad that we have been conditioned with so much pure garbage out there that we look to these lacking titles as the hope for the future.

Gulnar

Scholar
"The project is an upcoming high-profile action RPG for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4."

May be a bullshit claim, but it's a claim they made nonetheless.
But i guess we agree on one thing: it will be shit.

m_s0

Arcane
How can you not trust the unholy union of Digital Extremes and n-Space to produce a quality hardcore crpg?

I had to look n-Space up and damn, they did not disappoint.

Avellion

Erudite
Hardcore and old-school are buzzwords nowadays.

I will believe it when I see it, and I sure as hell dont trust Digital Extremes and N-Space.

Xenich

Cipher
"The project is an upcoming high-profile action RPG for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4."

May be a bullshit claim, but it's a claim they made nonetheless.
But i guess we agree on one thing: it will be shit.

Well, lets consider this for a moment as to what they are going to do.

1) They design the game for PC, then greatly limit it to try and make it work for console.

2) They design two separate games from the ground up for both console and PC.

3) They design the game for console, then adjust it to work on PC.

Number 2 is the most effort as they would essentially be writing two games. They don't have the money to do this and no investor is going to give them money so they can waste it on such.

Number 1 is not an efficient means of development. If it were easy to downgrade a game to work with consoles after making it specifically for PC, everyone would be doing it. Thing is, porting to PC is a nightmare for some games and systems and often results in workarounds that greatly affect game play. This is too much effort and cost to do.

Number 3 is the likely choice. This way, the games scope is limited to the consoles and once they have finished them, they need only to adapt it to PC which obviously doesn't have any limitations as it did in the reverse. Now how they do such all comes down to the money and time they are willing to spend on such a port. Bioware did a major rewrite for Jade Empire Special Edition and while the interface and kb/mouse were fairly good for the game, the game still was an obvious console game when you looked at the design and limitations of it.

So, they can claim all they like, but at the end of the day they are completely full of shit for the very reasons I pointed out above.

The end result of this game will be it being a port that is a complete FU to the PC base (ala Dark Souls 2) or a fair port that is still a poor console game. There is no way around it, they aren't going to spend the money on a PC game. That crowd just doesn't bring in the bucks and are already under the boot of the industry, so they will buy it anyway and just piss and moan about it.

As for it being shit, I think that "shit" is too kind of word for what this will likely be.

No Great Name

Arcane
Hardcore and old-school are buzzwords nowadays.

I will believe it when I see it, and I sure as hell dont trust Digital Extremes and N-Space.
There's a fairly large group of college students that I met a few weeks ago and the topic of video games came up. They told me that they really enjoy the "old-school, hardcore games of the past." Intrigued but a bit cautious, I responded, "Oh, you mean like the Wizardry games?" I got blank stares. "Ultima?" More blank stares. Out of desperation, I said, "Well you've at least played Doom right?" Nothing. "Well what do you mean by old-school, hardcore games then?" The students then replied, "You know, like Halo and stuff."
:negative:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You can take out the dev out of Bioware but you cannot take the Bioware out of the dev. :negative:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
"Hardcore"
"Bioware"
Dragon Age Origins 2 confirmed.

How come no one uses the D&D lisence anymore? inb4 Roguey answer "because it's a horrible system"
Obviously consolization is to blame, but D&D games were still a prominent part of CRPGs during early to mid 2000s. Now that there's a CRPG revival going on, you'd think that some developer would've put 2 and 2 together.
Naw man
3012_artist.jpg

Yes you can, just not from Western developers. Origins is a casual popamole interactive romance novel when compared to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Demon/Dark Souls, Devil Survivor, Final Fantasy Tactics etc.
You can take out the dev out of Bioware but you cannot take the Bioware out of the dev. :negative:
Wasn't Banner Saga decent? I haven't played it far so I don't know whether it goes full SJW later on or not.
See, this is what I hate though. Dragon Age: Origins wasn't a shining example of cRPGs. It was obviously console at its core and had many short comings due to that design focus. It is sad that we have been conditioned with so much pure garbage out there that we look to these lacking titles as the hope for the future.
What is this, 2010? We're living in the age of incline, Bioware, Bethesda and Obsidian have become obsolete. Who gives a fuck if Bioware manages to shit out a half decent game when there's Grimoire, Torment: Tides of Numenera and many other far superior CRPGs on the horizon? Within a few years we've gone from a situation where getting one sloppy New Vegas/Witcher type CRPG/AAA console game hybrid a year seemed like the second coming of Jeesus (because who gives a shit about KOTC, look at dem graphix) to seeing so many CRPG releases a year that there isn't enough time to play them all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom