Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Cooldown-clicking" combat is WoW-style MMO gameplay, meaning PC, not console.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Finally, the Harry Potter RPG we've all been waiting for?

It's supposed to be for old-school fans of a very well known IP. We've already established that D&D is the best fit.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Funny you should say this, I was looking through recommendation lists for games on various systems, and apparently Harry Potter games on gameboy were turn based RPGs. Who knew?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It was designed with console in mind, for console limitations, with console play and focus.

That's factually wrong. It's wrong to the point where the console version of DA:O had significantly less enemies in each encounter (less than half for selected encounters), reduced texture size, no isometric view and a horrible UI. The console port of DA:O basically suffered from every single flaw that we usually complain about when stuff gets ported from console -> PC.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Why don't they just go and make a game with Deep Silver? I'm sure this will be yet another action game with co-op multiplayer console garbage.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"Cooldown-clicking" combat is WoW-style MMO gameplay

It still boggles my mind that people say this. It's like the old saying:

"A stone doesn't fly
My old mother doesn't fly
Ergo, my old mother is a stone."

DA:O shared superficial traits with some MMO's like taunt mechanics and cooldowns, but in practical play they're nowhere near each other.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you want to see a Dragon Age game with "console limitations and console play", play DA2.
Even that benefited from legacy stuff from Origins with regard to controls. Look at DAI to see something designed from the ground up for consoles.

Xenich

Cipher
Ok, I went back and did some reading on it, I stand corrected. It is as you say. I guess I was just extremely disappointed with the game that it felt like it was a console sell out.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Designing your entire game around a console controller.

You can count me out.jpg

YOU CAN COUNT ME OUT, MAN!

pippin

Why can't they use old rule sets then? I guess it's bad PR, but that could help sell old rule books as well.
Bring back Dark Sun ffs
edit: not too long ago there was a comic book set on Dark Sun. It's not like they can't use that particular license...
How are they? The art looks quite bad, judging by that panel. That kind of style might fit tintin or something but not Dark Sun. Needs an artist who has drawn Conan or some similar comic.
Imagine Planescape comics drawn by some good surrealist artist :bounce:

I can see what you mean, but I'm comfortable with that drawing style. At least it's not the murikan animu look most mainstream comics have in the usa. Haven't read the Dark Sun comics, though, since I knew about them via the other D&D comic series (the one that got cancelled), but they looked ok. IIRC it was about bandits and slavery and that sort of stuff.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Funny you should say this, I was looking through recommendation lists for games on various systems, and apparently Harry Potter games on gameboy were turn based RPGs. Who knew?

Not all of them

I remember having some fun with them IIRC, but I don't remember them too well. Its been nearly a decade

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I did because I played the first one :oops:.

JRPG style, had a NG+ where you could keep gaining levels for Harry. Grinded that sucker to 99 (or whatever max was). Also had a few collectibles you could only get on a NG+ playthrough I think.

Definitely more fun than DA2 demo.

sser

Arcane
Developer
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-s-next-for-the-director-of-dragon-age-origins/1100-6425162/

What's Next For the Director of Dragon Age Origins

You may or may not be familiar with n-Space, a studio that's spent the better part of its existence working on licensed properties and work-for-hire projects. Though n-Space's past is filled with projects that have ultimately faded into the background, it may garner a significant reputation boost next week when it formally unveils its latest project, a fantasy RPG set within a well known franchise.

OK: I don't blame you if your first reaction to that generic pitch is "so what?" However, what if I told you that the team at n-Space is currently staffed by influential ex-BioWare members that helped sculpt series such asDragon Age, Baldur's Gate, and Mass Effect? That pitch suddenly sounds a lot more interesting.

What is n-Space working on, exactly? Unfortunately, while I couldn't suss out exact details from n-Space President Dan Tudge or CEO Dan O'Leary (the full reveal is coming on Feb. 12), they're committed to the idea that this game, when it's finally unveiled, will wow people, both for the series that it's attached to and because of how it will satisfy hardcore RPG fans. "That's certainly my goal," said Tudge, "to fill a void in the market as a hardcore fan of RPGs. I love my RPGs, so I think that there are some things as a fan and a consumer that I haven't been able to do, and I think that we're really doing some unique things that will be really exciting."

O'Leary boasts that "we're doing this game for us, first and foremost. It's kind of the one that we've earned having done everything before it. It's only a possibility because we made a huge commitment to it."

The RPG in question has been in development for over two years and is n-Space's first independent project. Rather than being tied to a publisher for the sake of funding, n-Space has teamed up with Digital Extremes, a studio with experience in the BioShock and Unreal Tournament series. Warframe, it's most recent product, developed and distributed independently, is what lured n-Space into bed; that and a chunk of financial investment that's made n-Space's project a reality. Beyond funding, Digital Extreme will share its expertise as an independent, guiding n-Space along the way.

O'Leary detailed the relationship: "Digital Extremes is investing in the game and sharing the knowledge that it has gained from successfully self-publishing Warframe. We've got a great team of passionate developers with access to basically all of the industry tools that larger publishers have, and without the heavy overload that comes with that. That allows the two companies to move quickly, react quickly, and take real care in making this effort as successful as possible. We've known the folks at Digital Extremes for some time now and have had a friendly relationship."

The Dans both have past connections to AAA publishers, and they believe the traditional funding and publishing model will stick around, but not without stiff competition from independents. "We mentioned previously that there's new accessible technology and direct to consumer digital [publishing], that you're really seeing...I don't want to say a secondary market, but a really great piece of gaming emerging from independents," said Tudge. "I think that's in large part to the way the industry is changing, but I don't see the large model going away."

Tudge sees the independent method as an opportunity for them to give passionate fans what they really want, rather than what publisher's believe will sell the most games. "I also think that independent developers like ourselves can market to niche markets with our product and speak directly with consumers now, creating products that fill opportunities that the traditional publishing model ignores these days. I think that there will continue to be big publisher kind of business models, but the opportunities that they pass by are right for independent developers and other kinds of collaborations, like what we're doing with Digital Extremes."

Given that three out of the five leaders on the project are ex-BioWare leads, I had to know: does the new game look and feel like a BioWare game? O'Leary mostly deflected the question, but he's honest about the potential for BioWare-esque traits making an appearance. "We can't really say at this point, we really can't talk about it. We can tell you that it's fantasy, and it's a beloved franchise, but really it comes down to the DNA that's in the studio here, and in the DNA of the influx of BioWare staff, and that DNA really is focusing on making the game that we've always wanted to make, both with n-Space and with the ex-BioWare guys. That DNA that we've injected has been focused on quality and great storytelling, and those are things that we'll definitely be bringing to the title."

Tudge followed up O'Leary's statement, detailing the role and pedigree of the team's leaders. "I was the director of Dragon Age Origins and I worked at BioWare for several years. People like Ross Gardner, who's the tech director, he was on the original Baldur's Gate. He scripted the first sequence in Baldur's Gate 2, he's been involved in Neverwinter [Nights], and even the Old Republic. Of course, he was my tech director on Dragon Age Origins. You've got Jay Turner, who wrote with me on Dragon Age Origins, he's been involved in Mass Effect, and he also worked with me at EA. That's three out of the five leads on the team, and I think that's really obviously going to influence the creative title, but I will say that there are definitely a lot of new, fresh, and innovative ideas that n-Space has brought forward. They certainly have an extensive background, certainly in loving RPGs and making Heroes of Ruin and some of their previous titles, so there's some really unique and exciting things that, blended together to make what I think is a really new and innovative approach to your classic RPG."

The Dans are very confident in their team and their game. They're confident that you, the hardcore RPG fan, will love it. Until we have an idea of what this game is, those claims are debatable. We'll know more on February 12 when n-Space and Digital Extremes unveil what they've been working on for the past few years. Until then, one can only wonder what's up their sleeves.

What do you think they might be working on? If you had your way, what fantasy series would you like to see from a team with the experience and pedigree of n-Space and it's BioWare recruits? Share your predictions and hopes in the comments below!

That's a lot of words to say fucking nothing at all, and that's coming from somebody who is a master at doing that.

A horse of course

"Cooldown-clicking" combat is WoW-style MMO gameplay

It still boggles my mind that people say this. It's like the old saying:

"A stone doesn't fly
My old mother doesn't fly
Ergo, my old mother is a stone."

DA:O shared superficial traits with some MMO's like taunt mechanics and cooldowns, but in practical play they're nowhere near each other.

The combat system in DA:O is designed around aggro control, cooldown juggling and watching the rest of the party fuck up until you smack them. How is that a "superficial" relationship with an MMO? You play combat encounters like WoW with some minor fidding with your party members to manage threat generation and energy, maximize dps and pop cooldowns. That's not how you play combat encounters in IE games.

The game was designed around the MMO-derived principle of always giving each player something to do rather than just sitting there hitting auto-attack:

Mike Laidlaw:
I don't think so. To my mind, it's partially driven by the tactics system where you essentially have the control of the AI of your party. So if you're not controlling them, you can tell them to just behave in a certain way; say, "You're a defender! I want you to get agro (to put it MMO terms), shield-bash people who are hitting the mages," and that kind of stuff. And those are all pre-built for one-button select. But you can tune right in, and set it so that - say - if my elf is less than this percentage health, I want you to do the following things... When we give that level of control, you can take some of the micromanagement away so you don't have to flip between them all, all the time.

Mike Laidlaw: To my mind, the big thing is to have the game have some pretty good feedback to give a good sense of what's actually happening. For example, if I have a warrior in plate mail I expect him to pull the hate of the enemy. We give them a series of abilities, which can build towards being better at that, make them more effective at that. The nice thing is that we're away from the concept of the magic missile, where once fired a character is completely out of things to do. It's more like mana [as in, an energy level depleted by spells]. And even after that, as a mage, you still have your staff. A rogue will probably have a bow and backstabbing. Even when you're out of true dirty tricks, there's a lot of stuff you can do.

sser

Arcane
Developer
A lot of 'encounters' I saw in WoW were more impressive and by far more imaginative than most singleplayer RPGs I've played. I think the primary issue with the 'MMO principle' is that it lends itself a little too easily to lazy scenario design.

Keldryn

Arcane
Dragon Age: Origins was announced as a PC exclusive, even announced uncharacteristically early in development by bioware, to appease their older fan base who had to sit by and watch console releases since Neverwinter Nights.

Then, late in the development cycle, bioware confirmed DA:O would come out for consoles as well.

bioware lied, children died.

Dragon Age was announced as a PC exclusive at E3 2004. Nobody lied. It was clearly intended to be a PC only game. Three years later EA buys out Bioware, and plans changed. I think it's a safe bet that EA was the driving force between making it multiplatform.

pippin

Not only EA, but ME, like that guy in this recent interview said. ME became a huge hit, and it was made by a different division at Bioware. If anything, it would be a safe bet to say Bio is perhaps the only studio which has a certain degree of freedom under EA's satanic plans, and the studio which has suffered less from them. Also I think Patrick Weekes said changes from ME1 to 2 were going to be blamed on EA, when those were made by Bio's own decisions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DA's multiplatform release was mandated by EA, but I think it was always going to get a console port at some point

Shin

Cipher
They're making a console action-RPG with a fully open world based on the Drizzt Do'Urden character from the FR. It will have branching conversations and they will claim it will have massive C&C. You start the game in the Underdark but soon will have to go the surface world to look at flashy HDR sunrises and a whole shitload of particle effects. It will also have drop in co-op multiplayer and PvP 'arena style' combat. This is all carried by a mega epic soundtrack of the lovechild of Jeremy Soul and Inon Zur. The mainstream press will love it.

thexsa

Educated
'RPG' is the loosest term in the games industry, after integrity. I don't expect anything but an action game.

This is a console game though. The loosest term in the console market is 60fps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom