Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign Development Update: World Map

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
InspectorRumpole For the logic and useability the layout above keeps the three row formation and the action buttons will be on the lower right so that they are close to the characters (to reduce mouse panning when choosing a character is required). Intuitiveness is something I see as having to be tested.

Excommunicator Lore is one of the current priorities. I'm working with a writer and this will be the object of a future update.

Piety Thanks :)

Saxon1974

Prophet
Looks fantastic Charles! It really brings back my memories of MM1 and MM2. I remember as a kid getting the MM1 box and driving home just gazing it and and I coudlnt wait to start adventuring in that world...This really brings back some of the fun of my youth.

I never did get far in your first game not because I didnt like it but more to my lack of time. This will motivate me to go back and playthrough it before this comes out.

Keep up the good work sir!

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Looks fantastic Charles! It really brings back my memories of MM1 and MM2. I remember as a kid getting the MM1 box and driving home just gazing it and and I coudlnt wait to start adventuring in that world...This really brings back some of the fun of my youth.

I never did get far in your first game not because I didnt like it but more to my lack of time. This will motivate me to go back and playthrough it before this comes out.

Keep up the good work sir!

Thank you, Saxon :)

As you can expect I had that same moment with that box!

Luzur

Good Sir
alrighty, the game didnt give me that "dangit not another pop-up encounter!!" feeling the old Bards Tale or SNES JRPGS gave me, so thats a good sign.

(although i still think you should go the same way NWC did and make the third game like MM3..maybe even throw in a 5 game long plotline too with an enemy like Sheltem.)

also, those levers on level 3 got something to do with killing that big boobed woman in the caves, yes?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
alrighty, the game didnt give me that "dangit not another pop-up encounter!!" feeling the old Bards Tale or SNES JRPGS gave me, so thats a good sign.
Good! One point.

(although i still think you should go the same way NWC did and make the third game like MM3..maybe even throw in a 5 game long plotline too with an enemy like Sheltem.)
That long plotline is there actually. Later games, perhaps. The problem being that I've always preferred three rows. There time to reconsider.

also, those levers on level 3 got something to do with killing that big boobed woman in the caves, yes?

Not at all :)

Apexeon

Arcane
Will the UI be the same?

Not entirely...

GUI_candy.jpg

This is one of the options. Some things have evolved since. There will be actual portraits. I'm still considering a more modern approach, but for now this is what I'm building on.

Pretty impressive! Will you use the same artist as last time since I really liked how he drew the babes. ;)

Yes, same artist, some new babes :)

I love the old school CRPG's.
The art looks great!
If the gameplay rocks I am sold.

Luzur

Good Sir
Will the UI be the same?

Not entirely...

GUI_candy.jpg

This is one of the options. Some things have evolved since. There will be actual portraits. I'm still considering a more modern approach, but for now this is what I'm building on.

Pretty impressive! Will you use the same artist as last time since I really liked how he drew the babes. ;)

Yes, same artist, some new babes :)

I love the old school CRPG's.
The art looks great!
If the gameplay rocks I am sold.

dont worry, its solid.

and it got boobs, lots of them.

and in part II we all hope there are going to be more of them!

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Hmmm I hope you all don't mind my shameless necroing of this prime Sovereign newsbit from over a year ago.

Much has changed since. I rebuilt the engine for PC, Mac and tablet compatibility (remains to be seen if it'll work on tablets considering resource requirements).

I'm rebuilding Underworld on that engine so it'll have many of the improvements Sovereign will (including but not limited to multi-platform).

I wrote a short dev update on the new combat mechanics. It is the first of a series of updates that will each focus on different aspects of the game(s).

http://www.olderbytes.com/arena-combat.html

The GUI is entirely different than the one I presented in the previous page. It's less old school but so much more flexible.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny thing is that Charles will probably complete this Trilogy(it will be a trilogy, right, RIGHT??) and then move onto another trilogy in a new world before Grimoire finishes all its IndieGogo campaigns(I'm not even talking about it being released as of course it never will be).

As I already told Charles, he needs STEAM CARDS and even achievements. Needs to peddle his wares in 'build a greenlight' type of bundle as well, at least for the older game.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
its the right time to advertise it indeed, since we are not getting any new blobbers anytime soon. Now if charles want to be considered as a serious developper he should invest into this kind of home :http://www.safecastle.com/falloutshelters.aspx

And mad rants on a blog, those are more important than game mechanisms.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Thanks all. I'm not sure about bundles. Maybe I'll need one for Steam, maybe not. Anyway I'll see when the new Underworld is released. I had a proposition recently.

I'm also considering the pros and cons of backyard fallout shelters. It's probably chili in those things but then again I'll be safe from drafts...

I think I have a problem with decision making.

Thanks VD :)

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
wait, you are remaking the first game?

Well yes and no. I'm using the Sovereign engine to remake the first game. But it is still the Sovereign engine and it has its own content in development as well.

I'm multi-tasking.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

Well yes and no. I'm using the Sovereign engine to remake the first game. But it is still the Sovereign engine and it has its own content in development as well.

I'm multi-tasking.

Charles' 6th revision of Underworld will be a 3rd person action game in the latest Cryengine.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sounds good. Since I'm a late 90s-fag Underworld always looked a little too rudimentary to me. But with the new engine it'll be well within my comfort zone so I'd probably be getting it. Any chance we'll see it on GoG`?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer

I'm multi-tasking.

Charles' 6th revision of Underworld will be a 3rd person action game in the latest Cryengine.

Why, WHY didn't I start there? :)

Sounds good. Since I'm a late 90s-fag Underworld always looked a little too rudimentary to me. But with the new engine it'll be well within my comfort zone so I'd probably be getting it. Any chance we'll see it on GoG`?

That depends on Gog. They turned down the last version. Maybe they'll like this one. Wouldn't it be fun if I ended up on Steam and not Gog? Who would've thought...

Luzur

Good Sir

I'm multi-tasking.

Why, WHY didn't I start there? :)

That depends on Gog. They turned down the last version. Maybe they'll like this one. Wouldn't it be fun if I ended up on Steam and not Gog? Who would've thought...

or you could pay DU and have it on the Codex instead.

(although you prob may have to pay Du to make a Codex GOG page first though...)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I really wish you'll consider a more readable font, at least for the combat log.

I like the font. Would you prefer Wasteland 2 font instead?

What's with all the Font fags on the 'Dex anyway? There's been shitty fonts for games for as long as they were made yet recently it seems every second gripe is about the font!

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
the quality discrepancy between portraits and the rest is kinda annoying. like playing daemonsgate with its mismatched tileset perspectives all over again.

Do you mean compared to the background? The monster thumbnails? I don't see it tbh. Perhaps it is due to the character portraits having a background? Anyway I don't see myself re-doing it. Hopefully it won't be a deal breaker for too many people.

I really wish you'll consider a more readable font, at least for the combat log.

To be honest I've changed the font pretty often and there doesn't seem to be one that pleases everyone. Sorry :(

or you could pay DU and have it on the Codex instead.

(although you prob may have to pay Du to make a Codex GOG page first though...)

Yes, the Codex could be my top distributor Dorito consumer. +M

Niektory

one of some
Patron
the quality discrepancy between portraits and the rest is kinda annoying. like playing daemonsgate with its mismatched tileset perspectives all over again.

Do you mean compared to the background? The monster thumbnails? I don't see it tbh. Perhaps it is due to the character portraits having a background? Anyway I don't see myself re-doing it. Hopefully it won't be a deal breaker for too many people.
Most of the graphics seems to be scaled with some low quality method that doesn't do the art any favors.

And if you're going to keep this font I think you should at least increase spacing between lines in the log.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom