Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios - actually a remake again

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Nov 10, 2015.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    I wonder he at least played Rez or Rez Infinite.

• incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    Wait, so they've got people working on this that haven't played the original game (which they did a source port of not long ago), and they dont make then play it?

Or is this just some guy?

^ Top  
  4. schru Savant

schru
    Well, he says he is doing it for the remake and Night Dive Studios retweeted those posts.

^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Wow I can't wait for this to come out in *checks Steam page* December 2017!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2509342

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Maggot Prophet Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    That grenade launcher looks awful.

^ Top  
  8. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Chucking grenades by hand is much more convenient than looking for special launcher to do it.

^ Top  
  9. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    carbon fiber mesh shroud

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    The Cyborg assassin concept art is awesome. I mostly dig the art style of the weapons with some notable exceptions -- the Magpulse really sticks out to me as just "wrong". I always regarded it as a kind of rifle with a long and cylindrical form factor which I found super memorable, while now it's a stout shotgun looking thing. Bleh.

I'm also not a fan of the fact that they're putting a standard shotgun and grenade launcher in the game, just like every other shooter. Snore. Even if a lot of them just were ultimately just standard tracers or projectile throwers, the weapons in SS1 were more aesthetically and thematically diverse than that. In the cases of the mechanically unique but less useful guns... buff those! Give the stun gun some real utility in the early game, or give the riot gun some special properties. There's an opportunity to think outside the box here, rather than just putting in a standard shotgun because everybody expects one. There was a big conversation about this topic over on the System Shock forum where an Environmental Artist makes the case that the Flechette gun was functionally and thematically interchangeable with a shotgun (and that modern gamers would balk at its absence) to the consternation of many other users. His comments follow:

I don't intend to pillory this guy for his tangential remarks on another team member's work on a different forum where he can't offer a response, so I'll let the other users' replies in that thread speak for themselves... well, other than to note that you get the Skorpion way later in the game than the Flechette and thus comparing it to the the latter would be like comparing the Ion Rifle to the Sparq Beam, and also to point out that the Flechette's needle rounds did double damage to mutants which gave it a unique use case vs. other comparable weapons.

I do think it's dumb to expect a 1:1 remake, since the gameplay of SS1 will absolutely need to be updated in critical ways to account for its modern control scheme and interface at a bare minimum (think AI behaviors beyond hitscan turrets for one), but what sort of deviations will be acceptable to fans and new players alike is a thorny issue. I and other fans apparently have a somewhat different conception of what the weapons in SS1 are "about" and therefore what sort of particular elements would preserve that spirit than the folks at Nightdive, which will make for an interesting conversation when this whole thing eventually comes out.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tweed Learned

Tweed
    These statements make me more worried about this game all the time, it's like they didn't even play the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. SpaceWizardz Learned

SpaceWizardz
    Riot Gun is pump action and shoots slugs, if that isn't a shotgun then I'd like to know what it is.
    They should worry more about making guns like it and the rail gun something more than a complete waste of inventory space rather than scrapping things that have their purpose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's the message you get when you help Shodan fry Earth!

I wonder if they'll visualize that more elaborately here.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    grenade launchers are for range and more importantly, accuracy and use in offensive.
    I would choose to use one even if I have to throw at 15 m.

and as for the chucking grenades part, a human will never have the throw rate of a grenade launcher and still retain a semblance of accuracy.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    ^ Top  
  16. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    That's indeed true, but I think it's more about the gameplay purpose of a grenade launcher here. Never played SS1, but SS2 was a pretty tight-quarters game most of the time, where just hand chucking grenades would be totally adequate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. boobio Cipher Trigger Warning

boobio
    Who would be a more frightening end boss, social justice shodan or AOC?
    [​IMG]

• honk honk! x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. darthaegis Savant

darthaegis
    [​IMG]
    what the fuck :prosper:

• hopw roewur ne x 11
    • Funny x 3
    • /facepalm/ x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Story of cyborgs: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2529352

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Love Arbiter

Love
    The puzzles look arduous.

^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Call for a grid-based, turn-based System Shock RPG:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. forumvisitor#451 Savant

forumvisitor#451
    Paging doctor Ash, RoSoDude and Kolya

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Doom RPG-style spin-off to System Shock would be a cool project, I'd be honored to work on something like this.

Especially since I have a very good idea on how to translate cyberspace into a grid-based game.

:positive:

• Brofist x 4
    • incline x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    The creator of the System Shock ReWired and Ruby Station fan missions already has a working prototype:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)