Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline System Shock 1 Thread

DraQ

Arcane
Leaning, crouching and looking up and down were functions accessible by the UI, but that doesn't reflect on the usefulness of the UI hud itself, which was well organized and flexible. It puts a lot of modern games to shame, imo. SS1 was released in 1994 when those actions weren't even a part of core gameplay mechanics in first person games on the market. Quake launched two years later in 1996 without leaning, crouching, crawling, mouselook, or a snazzy interface hud you could interact with using a mouse, presumably because Id software thought it'd be too advanced for gamers to understand (this was the definitive reason given for the adsence of mouselook by Romero, btw).
Quake's interface was pared down as much as possible. It was conscious decision - Q1 was designed as pure action game. They even threw away use key and didn't incorporate crouching/crawling mechanics. They wanted nothing whatsoever in their game that could possibly slow player down.

The only truly retarded part there was making +mlook only accessible via console.

I agree with this. The fact that the UI is clunky and intrusive and more reminiscent of a flight simulator than a first person shooter is not just an intrinsic part of not just the claustrophobic, vulnerable horror aspect of the Shock series, but also plays into the themes of being an 80s Cyberpunk hacker. It's not a UI built for gameplay or convenience, it's an alienating, awkward over-designed OS UI that tells its own story about Tri-Op.
That's still rather crap.

UI should never make it tricky or obtuse to perform actions that wouldn't be tricky and obtuse IRL (unless you're making QWOP or something and this is the whole point).
Sure, keep the inventory system and hardware buttons (both were quite decent actually), even force player to activate and use mouse pointer to change weapon settings and reload it (it even makes sense when you are a hacker rather than trained combatant to fumble around while trying to reload your gun while being shot at), but controls for running, jumping, turning around, crawling, crouching and leaning should be as unobtrusive as possible. This includes fully rebindable keys. Any other option is shit.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The people at id clearly always played games with mouselook.

Here's the classic Quake intro sequence / demo pulled from a fresh install from my original shareware CD.

Does that look like keyboard turning to you? They may not have enabled mouselook by default but they sure were using it and so did anyone with at least half a working brain.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
On the topic of mouselook: I still remember the first time I played the Terminator: Future Shock demo, which was AFAIK the first proper fps with mouselook. This was a couple of years before Quake, Duke3D, etc. It was a Bethesda game with many groundbreaking features: mouselook, polygonal enemies instead of sprites, large open-ended outdoor levels, driveable vehicles, even aircraft.

So I wrestled with the controls for hours (before I got the hang of it), thinking to myself: "So I'm supposed turn/look around with the mouse? And move forward/strafe with my left hand? Are these people insane?"

Later of course other developers realized too that this was the way to go.

Last edited:

Kirtai

Augur
People used to first person games often overlook just how hard the controls can be to get used to when first encountering them.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
People used to first person games often overlook just how hard the controls can be to get used to when first encountering them.
Reminds me of this:
dQy45Js.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I probably have forgot to post these here, and don't know if they did share these elsewhere (at least not included in the bonus materials for SS re-release.)

NDS shared few higher-res marketing materials on Discord before, including that cover art. These were discovered last year or something IIRC.

System Shock 1 is one of the best games i decided to play at some point, to say the least.
Brief history: after different immersive sim. projects (i played and loved Deus Ex 1, System Shock 2, Thief: The Dark Project, Ultima Underworld 1 and *some* more games) i wanted more of same experience - slightly slow gameplay compared to FPS genre games, clunky at times, but providing great ways to explore and interact with world and environment (also, the less scripts in general will guide me throught whole game - the better for experience with game) - and eventually stumbled upon SS 1 with some advises from RoSoDude and other people to how approach gameplay and UI at first.
Gameplay of SS 1 centered around item management (consumables, grenades / explosives, patches, more rarely ammo~), provides options for trivialization (respawn points at most levels replenishing most health and costing only in-game time to do so - as well as using logic probes for solving every puzzle that potentially can hinder progression), have limitations on amount of weapons that player can carry (but this is easy part - some weapons are just BAD [Riot Gun], some weapons just GOOD [Magnum], some weapons going to be found later in game [Skorpion] with small amount of weapons are entirely up to player to use or dispose [Plasma Rifle that i did not liked - or Rail Gun that i liked a lot after couple of uses]) and have enemies that going to respawn after time (if game have no time limit... Medical level can be harvested for medical patches).
Most levels are suprisingly memorable (especially Medical level, Executive level, Flight deck) and have good deal of secrets and enemies to slaughter - some secrets depending on "security level" [0 % and some secret door will unlock]. Reactor level and two smaller Groves are only locations in game that i dislike.
Enemies variety is pretty good in SS1. Every thing you encounter is either organic enemies type (some weapons or ammo types are better against them) or mechanical enemies type (same thing). The closer player to ending the more SHODAN influence become apparent: more cyborgs and robots - and much less mutants.
Attachments are aquired in same way as items - some of them are in secret areas. Something as lantern is life-saver in most areas, just as shield for harder fights. Jump Jet is most energy consuming "ability" in game, but dem - some of the best memories come from using it (especially for first time on same level where i found it).
Story (read: audio logs) and how plot combines itself into game is more forgettable part of game - but it serves required function pretty well and at the same time it gives more reasons to explore and visit different areas. Some logs vital to completing game, so it is useful to listen to them anyway.

This all comes to important part: game replayability lies in bypassing suprising amount of trivialization that player will see with more experience in SS 1. Best way to make game harder and more enjoyable at the same time is in Game Difficulty settings; with time limitations most options to make game much easier are non-existent (medical tables take time, reconstruction stations take time, most tactical cheeze with melee weapons takes a ton of time).
At the same time, completing game with time limitations is extremly hard for first time, without required game knowledge + it robes player out of exploring some locations that are optional.
Other important part: cyberspace levels. I been hearing a lot of hate towards cyber locations and been also hating them at first, but changed my mind later on. Best part of cyberspace: levels are short and usually contain something useful without being vital to game progression. Clunky controls can be changed in DOSBox or in Enhanced Edition directly. Worst part: final battle can be pretty hard for players who been slacking on cyberspace exploration whole game, so i recommend learn this type of levles to a point where completing them is easy.

Conclusion: as i said, great game in it's own right - definetly worth a try. I been not saying anything about controls, because i changed them for my own comfort and best performance during first level - so cannot properly comment here*

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/410710/announcements/detail/2736452055734419060

Source Port Update #4 is available now!
Hey Hackers!

A small update to System Shock is available now which includes the following improvements:
  • Upgraded engine to the latest version of the KEX Engine,
  • Fixed an issue where text entered onto the map would disappear on changing floors or loading a save.
  • New Bonus Content Added - Bonus Content has now been changed to a DLC type download that's free for everyone, but will allow users to free up additional space.

We hope you enjoy the update!

Daniel,
Nightdive Studios.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/410710/announcements/detail/3039334985645356058

Source Port Update #5 is available now!
A small update to fix issues is available now.

Hello Hackers,

A new update for System Shock: Enhanced Edition is available now on Windows which includes the following fixes and improvements:

Version 1.2.16 (2021-01-22):
  • Fixed crash when user path uses non-ASCII characters.
  • Fixed random crashes on some user setups (when a frame is rendered without the corresponding physics frame is run due to timing issues).
  • Fixed vanishing automap notes after saving/loading.
  • Fixed AI getting stuck on some corners.

Salt the fries!

-Daniel,
Nightdive Studios.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can someone please the enemy respawn to me? For examample if you kill Cyborg Neforcers on level 7 then:
SHODANPEDIA said:
When the population falls below 3, they are replenished by 0/1/1/2. An additional 0/1/1/2 appear in the Clover Leaf area for each Cyborg Assassin killed.
What does that mean?

fuzz

Liturgist
Finished the fan mission Rewired, had lil' over 2h playtime on the score screen. Levels felt a bit cramped compared to the original. I actually skipped one room at the beginning and explored large part of the level without the Navigation and Mapping unit, was fun. Apart for some memes (that'll age badly), meta-gaming (one door code) and 4th wall breaking logs, it was okay.

Anyways, I'm still starved for something systemshockish. Never played these: Prey, SOMA, Alien: Isolation. If you had to pick one, what would it be?

Jinn

Arcane
Never played these: Prey, SOMA, Alien: Isolation. If you had to pick one, what would it be?

Prey for sure if you want something closest to System Shock (2). Excellent game. I'd recommend RoSoDude's difficulty mod too. And yes, for the first playthrough I would absolutely recommend it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Don't bother with Prey, it's inferior to SS2 in every way. Play SOMA if you want to play a game that isn't just desperately trying to copy an older one.

JDR13

Arcane
Anyways, I'm still starved for something systemshockish. Never played these: Prey, SOMA, Alien: Isolation. If you had to pick one, what would it be?

I've played and finished all three. Prey and A:I are both excellent. SOMA is good too if you like story-heavy adventure games.

Since you say you want something "systemshockish" though, go with Prey. It's the only immersive sim of the three. Play A:I the next time you're in the mood for straight horror. It's one of the best in recent years.

Ash

Arcane
Prey is OK. The other two are borderline walking sims, or just so lacking in the gameplay department despite featuring multi-genre gameplay (A:I).

Dead Space, Martian Gothic, System Shock 1/2, Prey, Alien Trilogy for Sci-fi Horror set in space with at least half-decent gameplay. Those are your options. stray from there you go into Doom 3 or walking sim territory.

Last edited:

Raskens

Learned
Patron
Finished the fan mission Rewired, had lil' over 2h playtime on the score screen. Levels felt a bit cramped compared to the original. I actually skipped one room at the beginning and explored large part of the level without the Navigation and Mapping unit, was fun. Apart for some memes (that'll age badly), meta-gaming (one door code) and 4th wall breaking logs, it was okay.

I've only played Prey and AI of those three games, and I would say Prey is way closer to System Shock 1 and 2. AI is a different kind of game than SS 1 and 2,

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you see the remaining security level on each level? I have some backtracking before heading up to level 9. I know that I got security level 0 on most of them but there might be 1-2 levels where I still have some cameras to destroy. Can I see somewhere which those might be?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom