Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline System Shock 1 Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
CyberP probably means something like Zdoom or Duke32. The game still needs Dosbox to function.

AFAIK, everything you need to play is included in the System Shock Portable version, including DOSBox. You don't even need a copy of the original game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
After a few minutes of deliberation, the things that SS1 could benefit from in a 'remake' would be:

# A simplified UI (Doable, but still an effort)
# Hi-Res graphics (Doable)
# Better music (Doable)

...that's it, really.

System Shock is a game that requires a somewhat substantial investment. BUT IT PAYS OFF. I wish I could name many MANY games where this is the case...but I can't. Even more ironically, most of them either have "Blue Sky Productions" or "Looking Glass Studios" attached to them. :-/

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
What? The same music tracks, upscaled to modern standards?

That's easily doable, compared to System Shock 2, where they'd be better off ditching the jungle angle completely and going with DECENT music.

What? The same music tracks, upscaled to modern standards?

That's easily doable, compared to System Shock 2, where they'd be better off ditching the jungle angle completely and going with DECENT music.
Ah, I misunderstood then, thought you meant a new soundtrack.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Disclaimer: My comments do NOT apply to the elevator muzak. It would take considerable *effort* to successfully upgrade that tune.

(I've heard it being used as a ringtone, for fuck's sake.)

Machocruz

Arcane
Started playing SS Portable a couple of days ago. Man, level design has fallen so low since the 90s. Why can't anyone construct a fucking labyrinth anymore. Even Metroid got scaled down. It's like the game industry is intentionally trying to piss me off.

Sykar

Arcane
Started playing SS Portable a couple of days ago. Man, level design has fallen so low since the 90s. Why can't anyone construct a fucking labyrinth anymore. Even Metroid got scaled down. It's like the game industry is intentionally trying to piss me off.

No, they are just trying to appease the dumbest retards nowadays who can barely turn on a PC and still haven't found Caius Cosades.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CyberP probably means something like Zdoom or Duke32. The game still needs Dosbox to function.

AFAIK, everything you need to play is included in the System Shock Portable version, including DOSBox. You don't even need a copy of the original game.

I know, I played it :lol:. It still crashed from time to time, especially near the end.

Doom engine had his source code released to the public. People managed to run the game natively in Windows/Linux/Mac with no Dosbox(which is a Dos emulator itself). They've added more things like OpenGl support, lighting effects and you can run it in higher resolutions without any frame drops. Portable version of SS is all-in-one compilation that still needs to rely on Dos operating system, even if it's only emulated.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8030.0

I'm happy to confirm that the rumors about an upcoming GOG release of the original System Shock are indeed true, and you can now purchase System Shock Enhanced Edition on GOG. This is the CD version of the game, now running through a custom windows loader that has been created by Malba Tahan - basically, enhancing and incorporating his already released mods like SHLINK and the mouselook/hires mod into one complete package, featuring;

- the game runs natively under windows, no (slow) dosbox emulation
- toggle able mouselook mode (smart, auto-disables itself when the player is interacting with objects)
- higher resolution support, up to 1024*768 (able to set custom ones as well, even widescreen)
- windowed mode
- scaling smoothing/filtering
- remappable keys
- no resolution changing when entering full map
- resolution and other settings now stored outside the savegames, eliminating the need to always set them anew once a game is started
- storing the settings externally also allows the log audio to be enabled by default
- can make screenshots by hitting printscreen (stored in \res\gen)
- couple of fixes to scaling, brightness and onscreen text

This is pretty much as good as it gets without a source port or an engine clone - I have to say that I'm quite impressed what a little cooperation between the IP owners and the community can accomplish. That reminds me, the Night Dive team says hello, and thanks everyone for all the support and mods - and as a token of appreciation, five free keys have been provided, first five (registered) users posting here (asking for a key) will receive one via pm.

So, what are you waiting for? The smoothest Citadel ever awaits.

Attachments (newest on top):
index.php

Seems like at least one person in the modding community has made his peace with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw, when you purchase the game, you'll be getting both the Classic AND Enhanced editions. In case you want to just play the classic version without the new additions and such.

xemous

Arcane
Just tried it a bit and it doesn't look as pixelated as I remember SS1 Portable looking a couple of years ago, feels a bit smoother as well. So yea, imo it's worth the money.

since you bought the game can you confirm that the classic installation group has the GAME.GOG file (should be roughly the size of a CD 300-600MB in size)

see if it's the actual untainted installation disc of the enhanced edition

can you report back your findings?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
since you bought the game can you confirm that the classic installation group has the GAME.GOG file (should be roughly the size of a CD 300-600MB in size)

see if it's the actual untainted installation disc of the enhanced edition

can you report back your findings?

The download of the "CLASSIC edition" is 364MB in size.
Upacked, the size total was 621MB in size
There is a folder called 'CD' which contains a SystemShock.bin file of which is 311,994KB in size.
I was unable to find a .gog file.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I'm so happy with this. The original one was so clunky and I don't even know if my new computer could run it. Good news !

Nice. For some reason, I could never get SS1 to run smoothly on DosBox. This version runs like a charm, even with wine on Linux.

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8030.0
This is pretty much as good as it gets without a source port or an engine clone

This is what bugs me, though. The enhanced version obviously is a source port for Windows that uses an SDL2 backend for rendering (and thus gets HW accelerated texture interpolation for free). Which isn't bad, but with the source still around, there could be much more impressive enhancements. I hate to be the guy who keeps nagging after each long-awaited re-release of an oldschool game, but I wish they had gone the id way here, i.e. released the engine code under an open source license. The IP owners (and GOG) could of course still make money by selling the assets, but the way would be open for some real cool improvements.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
LOVED this game. :love:Hated the Cyberspace crap, but the rest of the game was pretty cool.

Since this uses native windows, that means I can't select a MIDI port and use my actual Roland Soundcanvas (windows took out that functionality after XP). :/

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Enhanced Edition is good as fuck. Mouselook and higher resolutions really make the game like 10x more playable than when I tried it so many years ago.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tried to play this a while ago, found it too hard to control. Played with mouselook and it's one of my favorite FPS's.

Cyberspace sucks though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom