Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline System Shock 1 Thread

Naraya

Arcane
Shockolate - System Shock, but cross platform!

A cross platform source port of the System Shock source code that was released, using SDL2. This runs well on OSX and Linux right now, with some runtime issues to sort out.

The end goal for this project is something like what Chocolate Doom is for Doom: an experience that closely mimics the original, but portable and with some quality of life improvements - and mod support!

:salute:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.moddb.com/mods/sshockrewired

After 4 long months of hard work, neglecting friends and spending more time in front of a monitor then ever: It is finally out! The very first Singleplayer Campaign Mod for Looking Glass Studios System Shock. The goal of the mod is to set the bar high for any future mods. So grab your copy, make some fries and salt them good, then enjoy a brand new story with 3 new real world and 4 new cyberspace levels in this Singleplayer campaign taking place on the Hospital Ship UNN Bismarck. Can you save the crew and defeat the evil AI?

RoSoDude

Arcane
RockPaperShotgun reports on the fan mission and wrongly claims that Nightdive's release of the source code is the reason mod tools finally exist after 24 years:

Here’s just what the horrifying cyborg doctor ordered to keep System Shock fans busy while we’re waiting on the delayed remake and mysterious sequel. The original System Shock launched over 24 years ago, but only now are fans finally equipped with the tools to produce mods for the game, thanks to Nightdive Studios releasing the source code. System Shock: ReWired is its first fan-made campaign, set aboard a medical ship – the UNN Bismarck – which has fallen under SHODAN’s control.

Except this is blatantly false -- the reason mod tools exist is because dertesha spent over a decade reverse engineering the game's code to create the InkyBlackness editor. Game journos gonna game journo, as usual.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have been playing the original for a while now and I have just jettisoned Beta Grove.

I thought I was close to the end but then I checked a walkthrough and holy cow ! Am I only one third through it or what ?

I have been playing the original for a while now and I have just jettisoned Beta Grove.

I thought I was close to the end but then I checked a walkthrough and holy cow ! Am I only one third through it or what ?

If you've explored all previous levels you're about 2/3rds through I believe.

Latelistener

Arcane
There are three objectives: disable the laser, jettison Beta Groves and destroy the antennas.
After that there is fourth, where move to the Bridge level and battle SHODAN.
So, yeah, it's about 2/3.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
New Source Port appears !

Is it compatible with old savegames ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oooh nice:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/410710/announcements/detail/3098929145092416976

"The Source Port Update" is available now!
6 SEPTEMBER - DANIEL NDS

For the first time ever, System Shock has been rebuilt from the original source code as a FREE update to all owners of the game!

System Shock: Enhanced Edition features:
-------------------------------------------------------
  • Higher resolution support up to 4K widescreen mode
  • Mouselook support
  • Rebindable keyboard/mouse/joystick commands
  • Adapted to Nightdive's KEX engine
  • Support for both Direct3D and OpenGL
  • Option to switch between hi-resolution Mac assets and the original DOS assets
  • Official support for fan missions and fan mods
  • New unified options menu that allows changing preferences before gameplay
  • Adjustable FOV (Field of View)
  • Smoother camera rotation and translation
  • Improved control scheme which allows faster and streamlined experience
  • Brand new achievements
  • In-Game remappable keys with three profiles to choose from: original controls, custom controls, and lefthanded controls.
  • Many original game bugs fixed.
We hope you enjoy this free update for System Shock: Enhanced Edition!

Feel free to let us know what you think about it in the forums. We'll be monitoring it a lot over the next few weeks or so to gather information.

Enjoy the update, and keep the fries salted!

-Daniel
Nightdive Studios.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Gave it a go and completed Medical (3/3/3/3 difficulty). I was skeptical at first, because I thought the source port's renderer made everything look kinda flat, and I actually don't think it's a very good idea to streamline the controls much more than the Enhanced Edition already does. But, it's nice to have a source port with more configuration options, especially higher resolution support. It also seems that there might be some kind of midi emulation built in, since many of the music-related issues present in e.g. radiation zones and cyberspace sections are gone, and there seems to be a new standard soundfont.

As for the visuals, I was able to more or less recreate the old "denser" look of the game by toggling the DOS shade table instead of the new shade table. See my video options below. Everything is default except for the shade table, detail (software) set to Min (honestly not sure what this does), and anti-aliasing enabled.
O1JcCAw.png

You can compare the DOS and new shade table below. The new one is obviously "better" in that it's softer and more subtle, but I frankly prefer the harsh contrast of the DOS shade table.
DOS:
hYAWXO6.png

New:
lk5CpdJ.png

I also can't figure out how to disable the "optional" Mac textures, as I honestly like the look of DOS SHODAN better and would like it back. Comparison:
9q82usi.jpg

2K1BLFl.png

A quick note on gameplay: I think it's a bad idea to use many of the hotkeys they've made available to you, such as reload/healing patch/grenade/quick pickup hotkeys. SS1's combat is already rather straightforward with the mouselook mod, and much of the tension and challenge that was still there came from managing so many things manually in the interface in the midst of danger. Since reloading is instant save for the time it takes to mouse over from your target to the reload button, a reload hotkey renders magazine capacities as essentially pointless. Also notable is that there used to be a functional difference between dry reloads and tactical reloads, since you had to click once to unload a partially unspent magazine and again to load the desired ammunition type -- a reload hotkey merges these functions and removes another element that you had to keep track of. Other hotkeys streamline gameplay in a similar manner, to the detriment of tense moments where you're cornered and have to improvise a way to get out of a sticky situation. I appreciate that you can rebind hotkeys for your implants and whatnot, but I think it might have been best if they had left out many of the new ones.

To clarify, I don't think streamlining the interface from e.g. SS1 to SS2 was a bad thing -- I'd argue that Deus Ex/Thief/SS2/Arx Fatalis perfected the interaction paradigm in this sort of game with minimal loss of depth. Nor am I one of those people who insists you must play Doom with arrowlook, alt-strafe and CTRL to fire; or even SS1 without the mouselook mod for that matter. But the difference is that those convenience/quality of life features don't delegitimize entire chunks of gameplay. Doom still has tough encounter design that requires careful movement, weapon selection, and target prioritization with mouselook, and SS2 importantly compensated for its greater fluidity in gameplay and refined interface with aggressive enemies which did more than slowly shamble at you like turrets with legs. With the need to juggle the interface removed alongside the more straightforward movement and aiming from the mouselook mod, the flaws of SS1's combat design are stretched to a breaking point. It's like replacing Resident Evil 1's tank controls with Hotline Miami's topdown setup and expecting any of the horror or dread to remain in the absence of any other changes to AI, weapon design, and so on.

Generally speaking, the source port is definitely an upgrade just for some of the configuration options, bugfixes, and technical improvements, but you should be careful how you use it if you want to experience System Shock 1 without ruining it for yourself.

One last thing; I didn't see any way to opt out of the source port. I previously had SS1 installed from Steam, and assumed I'd get some option when I launched the game. Instead, it just downloaded the update and I no longer seem to have the DOSbox version old Windows port at all, nor do I have any of my old saves. Not a huge deal since I wasn't in the middle of a playthrough or anything, but I feel like this could have been handled more transparently. Back up your SS1EE folders if you want to keep your old stuff, I guess.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
RoSoDude
Thanks for mentioning that shade table option, I just tried switching and also prefer it set to DOS.

There was an option somewhere to switch to the DOS portraits in the beta version, but for the life of me I cannot find it in the latest version. I know for a fact that this existed, because in my current save I am using the DOS portraits.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I think they got rid of the option.

However, I noticed that I have a file "mods.cfg" in the SS1EE folder, with a single line in it:
1 dosfaces

Try adding that, and see if it works?

RoSoDude

Arcane
I think they got rid of the option.

However, I noticed that I have a file "mods.cfg" in the SS1EE folder, with a single line in it:
1 dosfaces

Try adding that, and see if it works?
It works! Turns out the source port comes with a mods.cfg by default, mine was simply set to "0 dosfaces". Thanks for that. No clue why on earth they'd remove the option, let alone make the Mac ones default (they're less iconic, even if higher fidelity).

Zenith

Arbiter
I no longer seem to have the DOSbox version at all
Wasn't the DOS version separate from Enhanced? Labeled as "Classic" in Steam library (can't check myself atm). Also, I haven't been keeping up with the sourceport business, so idk.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I no longer seem to have the DOSbox version at all
Wasn't the DOS version separate from Enhanced? Labeled as "Classic" in Steam library (can't check myself atm). Also, I haven't been keeping up with the sourceport business, so idk.
Yeah, you're right, my memory was sloppy. System Shock Classic runs in DOSbox, while System Shock Enhanced Edition is a Windows port of System Shock Portable with the mouselook mod and maybe some other patches included. They've replaced the latter entirely, it seems. I misremembered it as DOS, but the point about the version wipe stands.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Someone on Facebook (who says he actually tried this) said the source port is compatible with old save games !

This is great news to me, my first playthrough of the original is like 60 or 70% done ; that means I'll be able to switch to the updated version painlessly.

Oh yeah they just have to release it on GOG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What am I saying, it looks like it IS on Gog.

Functionally, this is just a patch for Nightdive's System Shock Steam and GOG rerelease that's been around for a while. It's always been called System Shock: Enhanced Edition, that part isn't new.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
They've replaced the latter entirely, it seems. I misremembered it as DOS, but the point about the version wipe stands.
Just get the GOG version of the older Enhanced Edition from The Bay if you really want it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom