Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like SS3 discord was raided by some spam troll, who apparently was threatening people including Sam and claiming SS should have VR or something.

Context: He, SimulationUnit, is disjointed and nonsensical and spams various discords and reddit about System Shock needing to have VR or his personal life and how he is in irl cyberspace because he uses VRchat. It's walls of text of weird semi incomprehsible talk. If you challenge him he belittles you and makes it a contest on who is superior. He threatens/blackmails people in public and dms with lawsuits or telling "kotaku". He twists words. Embelishes his importance and claims to have owned companies. Keeps saying he is a vip guest invited by "someone who knows Warren Specter and Shodans voice actor" but can't disclose it. He did this in another discord, the System Shock forums, and reddit. And gets posts removed, temp banned, or banned. You cannot compromise. You have to scroll up in so many varying channels to comprehend what is even going on. There's no mod that has been able to stop this and he's been irritating everyone for several days.

And Sam to the rescue. Even she's not an OSE employee anymore, Sam contacted Walter, and probably got admin right back, then banned him and cleared the spams, and now doing some follow-up actions to prevent further attacks.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
T
Once OS is dead, I could imagine Nightdive and Starbreeze buying everything OS has so far (designs, concepts, story etc.) and teaming up to finish the game (or a less ambitious version of it) with a new team. Otherwise Starbreeze's $7 million are just gone.
It's taken them about 3 years to remake, poorly, a single level from System Shock 1, but yeah I'm sure they'll be able to deliver a full on sequel as well.

Honestly System Shock is like Alien. It's a simple story that made for one great game, had just enough material for a good sequel, but that's it. Let it die. SHODAN is cool, yes, but at the end of the day it is a crazy AI modeled after HAL9000, it's not some infinitely deep character that can spawn endless amounts of stories and games. What we need are more games like Prey that are influenced by System Shock but improve on some areas and go in different directions and are overall their own unique thing. Just let these old games die for fuck sake its so tiring.

T
Once OS is dead, I could imagine Nightdive and Starbreeze buying everything OS has so far (designs, concepts, story etc.) and teaming up to finish the game (or a less ambitious version of it) with a new team. Otherwise Starbreeze's $7 million are just gone.
It's taken them about 3 years to remake, poorly, a single level from System Shock 1, but yeah I'm sure they'll be able to deliver a full on sequel as well.

Honestly System Shock is like Alien. It's a simple story that made for one great game, had just enough material for a good sequel, but that's it. Let it die. SHODAN is cool, yes, but at the end of the day it is a crazy AI modeled after HAL9000, it's not some infinitely deep character that can spawn endless amounts of stories and games. What we need are more games like Prey that are influenced by System Shock but improve on some areas and go in different directions and are overall their own unique thing. Just let these old games die for fuck sake its so tiring.
You’re conflating the Otherside and Nightdive projects. Otherside has nothing to do with the SS1 remake.

Edit: I’m dumb and suffer from a lack of reading comprehension.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like SS3 discord was raided by some spam troll, who apparently was threatening people including Sam and claiming SS should have VR or something.

Context: He, SimulationUnit, is disjointed and nonsensical and spams various discords and reddit about System Shock needing to have VR or his personal life and how he is in irl cyberspace because he uses VRchat. It's walls of text of weird semi incomprehsible talk. If you challenge him he belittles you and makes it a contest on who is superior. He threatens/blackmails people in public and dms with lawsuits or telling "kotaku". He twists words. Embelishes his importance and claims to have owned companies. Keeps saying he is a vip guest invited by "someone who knows Warren Specter and Shodans voice actor" but can't disclose it. He did this in another discord, the System Shock forums, and reddit. And gets posts removed, temp banned, or banned. You cannot compromise. You have to scroll up in so many varying channels to comprehend what is even going on. There's no mod that has been able to stop this and he's been irritating everyone for several days.

Now he created a Twitter account to spam Warren Spector:

:prosper:

A peice of fiction I once played as a child to stay outta trouble taught me that you can't fight ideas with bullets, I also learnt that you can't fight them with money. I built entirely new systems in Unity and VRSDK to achieve this:

Because someone who should've known better came into the darkest, deepest parts of cyberspace looking for a good time and found a guy with 25 years of modding exp who built his own pc from a box of scraps in a cave after becoming totally disabled. And dragged me..

Kicking and screaming from cyberspace to pancake palace at YOUR discord server where I was more or less goaded into building something you said no to because when she realized I could do it. She manipulated me into doing it using her position of power as dev.

For the sake of the community we met, for the sake of the community she dragged me to do a developers work for free, because she couldn't after you refused her. She promised that the bigotry and fear of progress and small mindedness of meatspace would be controld

By staff you approved, by people YOU hired to make YOUR dream come true. I made my dreams come true because they were simple and I did it all sleeping in VR to recover from a permanent incapacitating injury using technology you fucking pioneered to go from almost

completely unable to function on a basic level, almost catatonic for four years. To build every machine I ever dreamed of, by all the tech I needed to build my first EDC and got to see the places I slept in in VR and the places they inspired that I also slept in.

I was laughed at until I started posting proof of my claims, until I started rolling out features that no one else working with Unity and VRSDK have attempted before developing experimental tracking rigs with better technology than the U.S military, all because.

some chick I met at a VR orgy who gets off being fucked with tentacles in front of her fans goes around bragging about her shit, violating NDAs and then putting real cyberpunks up to do work she couldn't even attempt because of "market demand" and "fear of failure

I don't blame you for this, I don't think you even knew I'd even rocked up because I'd planned to literally send you the completed model, rigging system and everything you needed to run a VR experience for fucking System Shock for free after using it in a 7 day

record attempt I already paid 850 USD for, bought 500 USD in tracking pucks for and already spent 2000 AUD of misc expenses. I live on an extremely small fixed income and I'm actually gonna be able to this to you if you ever dare enter MY realm...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kSAei2-c83s&t=2s… Yes, we have the cable arms working. Here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/657088573715120149/663498605033685012/VRChat_1920x1080_2020-01-05_16-44-52.484.png… https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/657088573715120149/663598872538382336/hW2Z7SvZ8w.gif… https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/623241030224969759/662605005538328583/unknown.png

If she isn't banned from the discord, punished for violating the NDA and blackballed from the industry for what she did. I tell the world where I met her and what she was doing when she did it and how she then turned around had me evicted from a community. I also

aybe dumb employees shouldn't go around asking random people in cyberspace to do shit for them or push them at your discord from the worst segments of the net. All I asked for was to be left alone to do what she asked, protected from abuse/bullying for being di

differently abled, autistic or an actual cyberpunk who fucking fixed his life with the tech you talked about and can demonstrably prove my entire life history to you with a single file transfer. I want her banned from the discords, the moderator who led the abuse

against me not realizing I'd been invited because I wouldn't name who invited me, you should have all the logs and your engineers should be working on solutions to your "problems" right now. That entitles me to protection under the law of the states I hold citize

citizenship in. Luckily for me and unluckily for everyone involved, I have EU, UK, AU, Irish and Australian passports entitling to me to aim ALL FIVE GOVERNMENTS at my problem like a fucking assault rifle and level those idiots you call friends. Anyone who reads

what say I who knows how intersectional feminism works and how it applies to modern law in these nations will know that I actually have vastly more power than any of you realized and I will file in every country I am entitled to live in even if I have to go ther

there in person to do it. Because i'm disabled, I'm a cyberpunk who HATES megacorporations who grew up on Deus Ex and System Shock and lives the life you write about. I will pull out all the stops and throw everything I ever learnt at the problem of your CEO, CFO

"Sorry, I didn't mean for that to happen, my employees were reckless, my PR manager underqualified and the NDAs not clear enough on how strict an NDA is actually supposed to be if a disabled guy asking leading questions and the 7 yes technique can get all the

information he needed to decide whether not I could beat your teams to VR and perhaps provide a scary enough experience doing so with a 7 day world record attempt booked and paid for to help the animals burning in my country, ASL in N.A and also promote YOU as

a writer and a philosopher and an innovator and a hero for inspiring the people who can take away away a burn victims pain with photons and electrons, make beautiful trans girls have a place they can go to become their real, true selves and where even an autistic

man with no prospects after losing everything to another illness stacked on top of the stuff I had caused by medical malpractice and assumptions left me stranded in a bed by a government that didn't care. I MINED my way out with my g-cards and brought the

here who sung me asleep inside anime until it brought her here on silver wings where she let me know that I am real and cured by gender dysphoria because in VR, you are whatever you feel like because cyberspace isn't a world dictated by Gods or Physics

but pure imagination and the computing power needed to emulate your dreams until they come true. It turns out if you die in the Matrix, you don't die IRL. But everything you learned there whether it be dancing or talking like a woman or Japanese or ASL IS real.

This guy reminds me of that ex-Origin tester guy posted somewhat similar things on Facebook.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love how, despite the overwhelming incompetence evident at every level of Otherside, they apparently found the one CM in the industry actually worthy of drawing a salary... and then lost her.

Haha, true. Sam is a graduate of Stuyvesant High School, New York City's elite science high school (think Peter Parker's school in Spiderman: Homecoming). It's a pipeline to MIT & Stanford and rather unlikely source for a community manager.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Haha, true. Sam is a graduate of Stuyvesant High School, New York City's elite science high school (think Peter Parker's school in Spiderman: Homecoming). It's a pipeline to MIT & Stanford and rather unlikely source for a community manager.

I could imagine she's one of those really smart Gen Y types who are more concerned with having leisure time and quality of life than with having highflying careers and big salaries.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Elizabeth LeGros landed a graphics programmer job at Unity, probably from her work with Unity team on SS3. Good for her.

Even if they somehow get a publishing deal, I guess it would take additional months to rebuild a team, hiring new engineers and designers.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Maybe someone who is still on the official forum could start a thread and ask what is going on at Otherside.

Spector said in an interview, and the Community Manager affirmed, that they are going to self-publish SS3 if they don't find a publisher. But it appears like they fired the entire team in H2 2019. Now it seems they are having more directors than employees and no one is left to work on the game.

What is going on at OS Boston where they also fired most people including the office administrator? They stopped updating UA and chatter about the "unannounced project" has also stopped. What is Tim Stellmach (according to his linkedin still at OS Boston) working on? Is Doug Church still with the firm?

And more generally: What's the plan? Is there a plan?

Goddammit Lobar, how many times do I need to lecture you on the difference between being fired and being let go? You are propagating inaccurate information through your false rhetoric.

Is Otherside an absolute trainwreck of a company? Yes, beyond any shadow of doubt. Hilariously so.

Have they ever fired anyone? Not to my knowledge (they'd probably be better off if they had; at the very least it seems clear that Paul Neurath should never hold a management position again).

Just to reiterate for the umpteenth time: Firing someone is what is legally known as termination for cause. Termination without cause is what happens when your trainwreck of a business is hemorrhaging money and you can no longer afford to pay your employees. Which is very clearly what's going on at Otherside.

Cavalierly throwing around the word "fired" can actually have negative repercussions for Otherside's former employees -some of whom have certainly done nothing wrong (besides living in the cesspits that are Boston and Austin). A prospective employer is very likely to balk at an applicant who was "fired" by their notable trainwreck of a former employer. An applicant who was "let go" by same employer? Eh, they might be worth an interview.

Harthwain

Magister
Cavalierly throwing around the word "fired" can actually have negative repercussions for Otherside's former employees -some of whom have certainly done nothing wrong (besides living in the cesspits that are Boston and Austin). A prospective employer is very likely to balk at an applicant who was "fired" by their notable trainwreck of a former employer. An applicant who was "let go" by same employer? Eh, they might be worth an interview.
Yeah, Lobar better watches it out, in case some bosses hunt for prospective employers on Codex!

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Have they ever fired anyone? Not to my knowledge [...]. Just to reiterate for the umpteenth time: Firing someone is what is legally known as termination for cause. Termination without cause is what happens when your trainwreck of a business is hemorrhaging money and you can no longer afford to pay your employees. Which is very clearly what's going on at Otherside.

I assume Chris Siegel was fired per your definition. Joe Fielder probably, too - the sociopaths in the OS management gave him BS instructions for the game (no dialog etc.), not enough resources, a deadline that was impossible to meet, an incompetent and understaffed team and then laid all the blame on him in order to sweep their own failure under the rug. That's how they do business, we all know that by now.

Others certainly were not "fired" by your definition, e.g. the community manager and probably most of the developers/designers.

So yes, maybe I wasn't fully accurate. Should have written "fired or laid off". Unfortunately it seems I can't edit the post anymore. Will try to be more nuanced in the future.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Lobar's not big on facts. He retracts one false assertion only to make 3 more in the very same post. Rinse, repeat.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I am wondering, once Otherside has gone under, if anyone is going to buy the SS3 IP
:fallout3:
Always room for one more on this table.

They'll have to com-pete for attention with Human Head/Roundhouse, the latest of Bethesda's harem. We WERE supposed to feel sorry for them because of that Prey 2 thing, but then The Quiet Man happened and then Rune 2 and so fuck those guys.

OtherSide would fit right in.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They hired ex-Origin, ex-Junction Point artist Chris Douglas as Senior Environment Artist: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-douglas-b38b5b3/

Lots of Wing Commander in credits: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,149/

He also did contract work on Arkane's Prey: http://www.chrisdouglas3d.com/prey/

He updated his Linkedin, probably also was part of the layoffs of Fall:

Senior Environment Artist

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed Aug 2017 – Oct 2019
Employment Duration 2 yrs 3 mos
Location Austin, Texas Area

Grayboxing, proxying, detailing, level building, and concepting-on-the-fly environment assets for a next gen 1st person immersive sim. Extensive work with Unity "Next Gen" PBR engine during its pre-release as part of a partnered development studio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom