Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - apparently dead

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Glic2000 Educated

Glic2000
    Re: SS3 trailer, I'll bite:

Terri Brosius was excellent as usual. But SHODAN's face looks silly when it's animated. The enemy design looked straight out of generic Dead Space territory. I guess I think SS should be more creepy than gory, and this was trying too hard to be gory.

Animations looked twitchy and janky in a way that might have been intentional, but also just looked low budget. The lighting was also a bit flat and washed-out looking. Weapon effect looked generic and goofy.

Overall not TOO bad but pretty generic in a Half-Life clone meets Dead Space clone sort of way.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Efe Arbiter

Efe
    He used to be such a sweet kid.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    Wait, are you saying what we saw in the teaser wasn't real "pre alpha gameplay" ???

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Katana1000S Angrier OtherSide Refugee

Katana1000S

Good God.

I have a serious stalker with Efe now :( If I did post that, wonder when? must have been in a generous mood from early times, know better now.

Efe, you have descended into new depths of creepiness now stalker boy, your behaviour is beyond shill and fan boy troll, its out for petty revenge shilling/trolling now, inc hours of going over others posts to find flaws, utterly pathetic public behaviour from you, you should be ashamed.

Just how low can you go in your fervour to favour anything from these incompetent morons?

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Katana1000S Angrier OtherSide Refugee

Katana1000S
    I doubt there was any real gameplay footage in Maggots video share, and we are supposed to believe this game was more than half way finished ... a claim they made well over a year ago, perhaps nearer 2 years ago, pure lies and deceptive marketing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    It was almost exactly one year ago:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Efe Arbiter

Efe
    Thanks for exposing his lies.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    After OS has laid off almost their entire staff, it will be interesting if Starbreeze will still write into their audited reports that they "expect" their entire investment in SS3 to be repaid or if the language will change.

Their Q4 2019 is due on Feb 11.

^ Top  
  9. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    The in-game scenes showed real gameplay, we didn't even have any cut scenes. Core systems were nearly done. What we were way behind on was content.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    Kin Corn Karn With "content", do you mean story/lore, level design, enemies, NPCs, puzzles etc.? Could they create that content with the very small team that's still left over a much longer time period than originally envisioned? (basically what Nightdive does with the SS1 remake)

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Randomly peeked into OtherSide forum and found this post from ten minutes ago: https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/corporate-responsibility/10266

lol wth

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 6
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Grown fucking men made that? What is wrong with people.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    It wasn't complete enough that it could be handed off without any engineering support, and everyone on the content side is no longer with the studio.

• :M :M x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Katana1000S Angrier OtherSide Refugee

Katana1000S
    Sorry Kin Corn Karn, its appreciated about your whistle blowing of course, but as far as I can see, all you are trying to do is damage limitation for your old company and your pride, without revealing your identity ... we all know who you really are.

Underworld Ascendant was pure SHIT and SS3 by you and your old colleagues was shaping up to be even worse SHIT.

I honestly hate to see stuff like this fail and people lose jobs, but surely ... it was right SS3 was culled, they really did say it was half way finished about a year ago, you are trying to do damage limitation by saying a part of it was half finished ... you must think we are fucking gullible idiots.

Please.

• Edgy x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    The only reason I'm posting is because I saw so much confusion about the state of the company and the project I thought some first person information would be welcome. I never suggested we were halfway done, core systems are a great foundation for a game but most of the work is content development which we were critically behind in, both in real assets and in tool support for an efficient pipeline.

Was the failure of the project right? It's hard to say. If Starbreeze hadn't gone into crisis I think we would've delivered something interesting with some fresh and innovative gameplay, but a much smaller game than what people were expecting and inevitably disappointing for a sequel to such a beloved franchise.

Those high expectations drove a lot of expensive experimentation. We were a small team and knew we couldn't compete with current immersive sims in production quality and breadth, so we had to be creative and clever and weird. And we were on our way to make something unique and possibly fun, but probably not what the audience was hungry for.

• Brofist x 6
    • Despair x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    So System Shock 3 is officially abandoned?

• Yes Yes x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Harthwain Scholar

Harthwain
    The guy says "it wasn't even complete enough" and you say he's "doing damage limitation"? Seriously? I get being upset, but you're losing contact with reality at this point.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    I don't actually know what's going on, but the team is no longer employed there.

• Informative x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Efe Arbiter

Efe
    any chance you could get warren or paul to drop a couple lines here?
    just a small piece about either UA or SS3 and flee afterwards, no need to put up with katana that way

• Funny Funny x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    That's not something I can do, but it wouldn't hurt to ask for an update on the official forums.

^ Top  
  21. Katana1000S Angrier OtherSide Refugee

Katana1000S
    (I know I fucked up this one and had to edit, but FFS Efe boy :(

I remember the days of sensible Underworld suggestions there, a lot of us got banned for it ... are you serious Kin Corn Carn?

The official forums :)

Howls of Derisive Laughter

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Max Heap Arbiter

Max Heap
    That would be an economical decision.
    But we are talking about the company that virtually threw away 90% of this and made a worse looking game:

Probably because the assets would clash with the quality they'd eventually settle for and/or they couldn't afford the rest of the game being on the same level of quality.

Going by that the SS3 trailer could be 90% "marketing" assets. Though it's a bit too diverse for that I guess.
    But don't worry! I'm certain there is SOME way to still fuck those assets up somehow!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    ^ Top  
  23. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    Do we? Must have missed it, could someone enlighten me?

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)