Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
But do they need a publisher to distribute the game?

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Nifft Batuff Not necessarily, but the community manager said the other day that it would save them money and accelerate the launch because the publisher would do things they have no experience in (marketing, managing distribution channels, negotiations etc.).

Lots of departures, have you noticed any new employees starting there in the past 6 months?

Edit: Now that Sam is leaving it would be nice if, since she no longer has to be Goebbels for the company, she could shed some light on what has actually gone on there. It of course won't actually happen though.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
If the gamplay trailer is any indication of SS3's final gameplay, then it will be to SS2 what Alien Convent was to Alien.

Yeah they both take place in space, they both have horror elements, but one's probably going to have a greater focus on explosions, lit animations, hyperbolic acting, and (likely) idiotic writing, while the other is focused on pacing and building tension and atmosphere.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well this is critical. Lead Programmer Mark Allender has gone back to his home, Volition: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mallender/

Lead Programmer

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed Dec 2017 – Nov 2019
Employment Duration 2 yrs
Location Austin, Texas Area

Principal Programmer

Company Name Deep Silver Volition
Dates Employed Nov 2019 – Present
Employment Duration 1 mo
Location Urbana-Champaign, Illinois Area

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
I chose not to link and post specifics, but based on some digging I get the feeling that Otherside is indeed winding down.

Would be interesting to know how many of these departures are layoffs and how many are folks Otherside would actually want to keep, but who are leaving because they no longer want to work there or think the company is going down.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I am still at a loss how such epic failures are possible. I mean these guys were programmers in thier time, they should know that it takes quite some effort and labour to write actual good code, not just siphon off some few millions hire some random dudes and hope for the best.

I am not even touching matters of gamedesign.

this is really beyond me.

At this point it's looking like Warren Spector will be the last man standing. Like Herve Cain who kept drudging on to keep Interplay going, he will finish Shock 3 all by himself, even if that means he needs to learn coding, modeling and animating himself.

Or he'll bail like Richard Garriott with Portalarium. Then he can play dumb when OSE shutters and talk about how he "left the company in good hands".

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
Well, and if true ... this does not surprise me, hard as I can be on Otherside for fucking up UA so badly and lying to us so dismissively and with conviction for so long, its not good seeing train wrecks and people losing employment ... BUT.

They would have just fucked up SS3 and left the same stain on its legacy as UA did for the Underworld classics.

Either do things properly or don't do them at all is a mantra I've always observed.

At least we still have the original SS1 reboot to look forward to, still play SS1 SS2 UW and UW2 at least once a year, what classics they are, never got beyond first level or two of UA, its as grim, dire and shitty a game as I've had the misfortune to play in my entire life *shudder* would not wish that crap dull gameplay on my worst enemy.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
Efe, you fat old elephant person.

You sit on the sidelines sniping with your moronic emoticons, you must be about the only moronic Otherside supporter left, so how about and instead of emoticon sniping, how about you step up to the plate and say something non shill positive bout this disaster ... and please dont lie and grovel as is your usual practice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom