Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Dec 8, 2015.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Austin studio, as listed by Linkedin:

Warren Spector
    Chase Jones - Design Director
    Arturo Pulecio - Art Director - Probably (going to be) left, from what I've seen. I won't provide citation.
    Herbert Piland - Senior System Designer - Probably also left, from what I've seen.
    John Sizemore - UI Programmer
    Hannah Walker - Gameplay Engineer
    Chris Douglas - Senior Environment Artist
    John Ford - Animator - Likely left, he's one of the developers received Art Director's recommendation.

Of course there could be more people who's not registered on Linkedin or who's already left but not updated their profile.

^ Top  
  2. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    You guys are getting too stressed out over this. As we know, Warren developed Deus Ex 1 all on his own, he can do it here too easy-peasy.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    Assuming the Boston staff is now also working on SS3, there is also Tim Stellmach (per linkedin), Walter_OSE (head of marketing, still posting in the forum), Doug Church (haven't heard otherwise), Michael Dornbrook (board member according to linkedin), Geoffrey Hyatt (bord member according to SEC filing) and Paul Neurath.

Also assuming the big guys don't take a salary, that's at least 10 people they have to pay, plus two offices in prime locations, plus likely some support staff and external services.

What's their monthly bill for all of that that? I'd say $150k minimum.

Revenues: Zero.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    I haven't been there in awhile, but the Austin studio appears to have closed. Boston had no involvement in SS3, I'm skeptical they would take over.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Steamboat Willie Savant

Steamboat Willie
    Boston was working on an "unannounced project", which was probably bankruptcy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    Last year Boston had several people working on a new project.

^ Top  
  7. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    Welcome to the codex!

That doesn't sound quite right. There seem to be several employees still based in Austin, and they probably need an office. But it might be possible that Boston has closed already and the few people who are still around (Tim Stellmach and who else actually?) are working from home.

I still firmly believe maintaining Boston is unsustainable financially, and having people in Boston contribute to the SS3 team in Austin from their homes will be highly inefficient. At some point, those who are left in Boston will have to decide whether to move to Austin or leave OS.

^ Top  
  8. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    As far as I can tell, there aren't any engineers currently employed, they just haven't updated their linkedin profiles.

While I was there, there were no cross contributions from Boston. We were two completely different studios, joined only by a boring weekly teleconferenced meeting. Warren was the only one in Austin who would do any work for Boston. Given how badly UA went, I can't imagine they'd close Austin and give the project to them.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    [​IMG] IP address checks out.

Kin Corn Karn I don't suppose you'd be willing to tell us who you are?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    I'd prefer not to. Bridges are better left unburned.

• Merry Christmas! x 7
    • Friendly x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So what do you think they're going to do now? You get the impression that they would keep the game in zombie development mode without ever formally cancelling it because UA was in a similar state for so long.

^ Top  
  12. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    I honestly have no idea. My best guess is they are still fundraising, holding out hopes to put a team back together. I'm not sure Boston is still staffed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Steamboat Willie Savant

Steamboat Willie
    Well Boston's Office Manager left a couple of months ago, the CM left, and AFAIK they only had one UA dev because some small bugfix was held up because one guy was sick for a few weeks. Not sure what his name was but he's likely gone by now, too.

^ Top  
  14. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    But if your assumptions about

and

are both correct, doesn't it mean it is over for Otherside?

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Efe Arbiter

Efe
    its not over while warren draws breath

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    It might be down to Paul and Warren fundraising, but it's safe to assume no meaningful development is happening. They're not staffed for it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    Kin Corn Karn Chris Siegel said SS3 was "more than halfway completed" back in February. Was that assessment realistic?

^ Top  
  18. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    Not realistic. SS3 was bogged down by problems with Unity. If the project had started today it would probably be fine, but at that time Unity was still exploring and experimenting with AAA fidelity and we paid a heavy price in productivity trying to achieve it.

We were also way behind in content. Design was understaffed, and allocated little engineering support to develop a good content pipeline.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    Kin Corn Karn were you still there when Underworld Ascendant was released? What was the general opinion at OS Austin about the Ascendant disaster?

^ Top  
  20. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    Warren kept promising us a play test to give Boston feedback, but for whatever reason it never happened, so most of us didn't play it until it launched.

We were horrified.

Not only was it a financial loss for the company, the damage to our reputation was irreversible even if Austin had nothing to do with it. When the news about Starbreeze came it cast a big shadow over our hopes to find a new publisher.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    It would have made sense to spin off the Austin studio under a different name. I believe it was LESS T_T who joked that Warren might have been thinking of the old Ion Storm Dallas/Ion Storm Austin predicament.

^ Top  
  23. Kin Corn Karn Arcane Developer

Kin Corn Karn
    I don't know what's going on there right now. Maybe they found a publisher who insisted the project be transferred to a new team. Maybe Warren and Paul will succeed at fundraising and give the game a budget to reach the finish line. I wouldn't bet money on it releasing, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    God dammit. I was looking forward to this. System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    I think their best hope at this point, paradoxically, is that Starbreeze comes back and picks the game up again. If SB successfully comes out of administration, it could make sense for them to invest another $3-4 million to help OS complete SS3. Otherwise, their $7 million investment they have made so far would be lost completely. If OS leadership can demonstrate a realistic path to launching the game successfully (big if, I know) and if they are willing to chip in another $2-3 million themselves (which they might), I could imagine Starbreeze doing this.

I can't imagine any other publisher picking up the game, because even if they successfully launch the game, the first $7 million go to Starbreeze before the other publisher gets any money. No one is going to do this.

^ Top