Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
No, I think if they're actually going to make a System Shock 3 they need Warren Spector onboard if only for credibility. "Totally unrelated Chinese-funded studio now making sequel to classic franchise" wouldn't go over well. It doesn't matter how much you hate him now. Brian Mitsoda was a fuckup too but Hardsuit Labs knew they needed him for Bloodlines 2.

You have a point here.

Latelistener

Arcane
I wonder how Nightdive feels about all this. They sold the rights to SS3 to Otherside which turned out to be a complete failure of a company and now it's even bought by Tencent.

Before they had a few troubles because people were confusing SS3 and SS Remake. Now they're going to be confused with chinks and everything that comes after this trail of disaster.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It always gave me an impression that NDS licensed the sequel(s) to OSE on pretty generous (maybe naive) terms, fewer obligations and restrictions on OSE's side. I'd imagine they were pretty excited about the idea of a sequel made by ex-LGS guys.

From SKicker:

When it was with Otherside, it was essentially with the original creators. So we were more or less leaving that up to them. We were supposed to get builds and marketing materials before they went out in the public but they never really got that far. So we never really got to review anything. But it was my belief that if development had continued we would have. But in terms of us getting to actually dictate what was in that game, again it was like, well the original developers are are working on it so we should let them do what they do best.

kangaxx

Arbiter
When it was with Otherside, it was essentially with the original creators. So we were more or less leaving that up to them. We were supposed to get builds and marketing materials before they went out in the public but they never really got that far. So we never really got to review anything. But it was my belief that if development had continued we would have. But in terms of us getting to actually dictate what was in that game, again it was like, well the original developers are are working on it so we should let them do what they do best.

You can hear the disappointment dripping from his voice... obvious fan of the series let down by erstwhile role models. They do say "never meet your heroes"....

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...lved-with-system-shock-3-after-tencent-swoop/

Warren Spector studio says it’s ‘still involved’ with System Shock 3 after Tencent swoop

OTHERSIDE ‘CAN’T SPEAK MUCH FURTHER’ RIGHT NOW

NEWS
2ND JUN 2020 / 12:14 PM
Posted by
Andy Robinson
SS3_2019_1920x720-0x0-320x179.png

OtherSide Entertainment has said it will still be involved in System Shock 3 development, after the rights to the game were picked up by Chinese tech giant Tencent last month.

After a long period of silence and an exodus of key staff, the Austin, Texas-based studio provided an update in May with a vaguely worded statement revealing that Tencent would be “taking the System Shock franchise forward”.

However, the statement did not make clear if OtherSide – which at the time of publishing has just three people listed as working in its Texas studio on LinkedIn – would continue to be involved in System Shock 3’s creation.

In a new message published this weekend, OtherSide’s community manager Alyssa Marshall claimed: “We are still involved, but we can’t speak on it much further than that at this point in time. As we are allowed to make more information public, we will do so.”

System Shock 3’s developer had been searching for new investment for much of 2019, following its separation from former partner Starbreeze in February of the same year.

Creative director Warren Spector told VGC in May 2019 that talks were progressing with “a lot” of interested publishers and that OtherSide had enough capital to fund itself for “quite a while.”

However, the Otherside Austin studio appeared to be in trouble this year when an anonymous developer claimed its development team was “no longer employed” and LinkedIn confirmed an exodus of senior leads.

Tencent is Asia’s second-biggest company by market value ($490bn) and has invested in more than 800 companies including Epic Games, Activision Blizzard and Ubisoft.

System Shock 3 is being developed under license from Vancouver-based Night Dive Studios, which owns the rights to the System Shock franchise.

kangaxx

Arbiter
In a new message published this weekend, OtherSide’s community manager Alyssa Marshall claimed: “We are still involved, but we can’t speak on it much further than that at this point in time. As we are allowed to make more information public, we will do so.”

I reckon Spector is in the basement of the Ministry of Love in Beijing, most likely having his fingernails pulled out as we speak.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More hints at Otherside (indirect?) role on the future of SS3. Warren Spector says he's working on a new IP.

There I worked for a while on System Shock 3, a third game in the System Shock series, obviously. But then, interesting stuff happened. I can't talk too much about it but Tencent came along and wanted to take the System Shock franchise forward, and so right now we're working with them to kind of figure out what the next steps are for System Shock.

And in the meantime I'm doing two things. One is, there's another project being done at Otherside that I can't talk about yeah but I will say I'm a creative advisor on that and helping them make sure that that game comes out the way we want it to and that it's great. But at the same time I'm getting to work on new IP. I'm creating some new stuff that I also can't talk about but, you know, you created the Ubi series right? Which we should talk about too. But I'm just going to create stuff, you know, empty hard drive, blank screen, you know, writing documents and creating worlds.

They still talk as if they sold off the entire System Shock IP when there's Nightdive, the actual owner. Well, if they really had rights to two SS sequels with supposedly generous terms and sold them off, I guess Tencent practically holds the future of SS despite that NDS is still the owner of the IP.

ciox

Liturgist
We're reaching levels of :dead: that shouldn't even be possible.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
His optimism and confidence in his ability to help others make anything except maybe kosher sandwich, oh boy! is it hillarious to those up to date with OtherSide's fuck ups history

P.S. Love how he's always playing it from safe distance from full responsibility for inevitable fuck up. Advisor again :D

Gastrick

Cipher
Yes, because Western titles never do any of this. Hi, Starforce. Hi, Denuvo. Hi, Origin. Hi, Uplay.

Sarcasm faggotry. Also, Tencent is by far the largest Chinese video game company so it doesn't compare if Ubisoft are shit. Do you think Otherside would have added adware?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Would love for someone to tell it right to Spector's face that he's a gigantic fuck up, moron, and failure at being a morally passable human being.

retinoid

Savant
Every time Spector opens his mouth it becomes more apparent that his involvement with Deus Ex was minimal at best beyond the initial hiring phase.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom