Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    • "A passion for developing and playing AAA-quality games."
    lul

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Chip Sbrogna updated his Linkedin profile, he left Otherside in April.

So, Tim Campbell joined Otherside around that time, in March. At least from his Linkedin profile, he's still at Otherside but took adviser role in other company working on blockchain-powered FPS, in August. And August is the month Chase Jones joined Otherside.

And so, *wild guess* here is that Tim Campbell is leaving and Chase Jones is in the process of taking over the Design Director role.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Let fucking Otherside just die... I like Ultima Underworld but I LOVE System Shock 2, just keep their blasphemous little hands on their tiny cocks and let Spector go back to the hole where he has hid for the last decade before he tries to further rape the memory of Looking Glass and legendary franchises like System Shock

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Shock 3 is made by a different team in Austin, so let us not despair entirely (yet).

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 5
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Nano
    Dude, four different people have been the Design Director at this point. This is a big warning sign.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    No corpse is too decayed that you can't ravage it once more.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    Warren is getting old and senile judging by his talk about how "violence has to stop". How exactly is he going to portray System Shock 3 without violence?

Also:

Looks like they took $12 millions from Starbreeze to make the most expensive walking simulator.

Moralfags + storyfags. It's a dangerous combination.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Sounds like they will try the Amnesia style of game here... which in the hands of a capable developer would be an interesting idea; imagine doing the hacker puzzles while dodging enemies in a System Shock setting
    But so far the sheer incompetence of Otherside and the warnings on the wall say this wont end well at all and once Undercooked proves to be a colossal fuckup their investors will get very antsy

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Well what's known about System Shock 3's gameplay at this point:
    • It's an "action-oriented, hybrid FPS/RPG", according to their job postings including one for "combat" designer.
    • Warren's wishlist (from early interviews and talks, so take these with a grain of salt):
      • "the most sophisticated hacking mechanics in a AAA game"
      • "His team is looking at creating much deeper environment that you can explore and interactive with more deeply. He want to enhance the environmental storytelling pioneered in SS1 with most interactive way he has ever trying to create."
    Also to be honest I don't think the production of Dues Ex was exactly smooth or something. It's not like I have high hope for this but I would not worry much about this until I see more details or actual footage.

^ Top  
  10. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    From environmental artist Francisco Cruz III (ex-Arkane artist responsible for Talos I exterior from Prey): https://www.linkedin.com/in/franciscoc3/

"Surviving Shodan", heh.

Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/ciscocruz

• incline incline x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Mmm that actually sounds interesting; prey is the closest thing we have gotten to a System Shock 3 since Dead Space

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    "His team is looking at creating much deeper environment that you can explore and interactive with more deeply. He want to enhance the environmental storytelling pioneered in SS1 with most interactive way he has ever trying to create."

-Powered by Unity.

Choppy Shock 3

• Funny Funny x 4
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    Underworld is less than a month away. I think it will tell us what to expect from SS3.

• Agree x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    From concept artist Lee Souder: https://www.linkedin.com/in/leesouder/

Procedural generation? Or more of a production pipeline thing? Maybe something to do with "much deeper environment that you can explore and interactive with more deeply".

Anyway nice sci-fi portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/leesouder

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    A bit from an interview about UA: https://dailydead.com/interview-leg...sses-his-latest-project-underworld-ascendant/

^ Top  
  16. ciox Learned

ciox
    Would have been nice to see them focus harder on either a brand new location or the Von Braun, since we're already going to be seeing Citadel again soon via Nightdive's efforts, but they're pretty determined about the "bring back all SS areas and surviving characters" thing.
    Or maybe they'll just bring Citadel back as a simulation you can bounce around in, that would be kinda goofy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Gambler Augur

Gambler
    I am so tired of these reboots. I don't even understand what value they derive from exhuming old titles. The target audience usually turns out to be people who have never heard about the original game(s) anyway.

It's like the industry is stuck in an infinite loop. Same genres, with same conventions, but stuff gets more and more "streamlined" (i.e. dumbed down) with each iteration. Same titles, but "modernized".

And every studio nevertheless claims to be a hive of creativity. If you're so creative, why don't you actually create something new?

This was mildly cool when some of the first game KickStarters were launched. But it didn't turn out that well, and now this is just getting annoying.

There is already Soma.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Creativity is overall dead in most pop culture media; after the 80s there was such a renaissance with such bold and daring ideas in music, art, toys, fashion then the mid nineties started with reboots and retreads which have stayed until today
    Supposedly this nostalgia is fueled by such dispair about the future that people prefer to look back with rose tinted glasses to “better” days but I think that the overall lack of imagination and creativity is over more worrying
    After the trainwreak of Underworld Unleashed I think Otherside will either learn from their mistakes, narrow their scope and make a great System Shock or make another abomination that shits all over the legacy of Looking Glass and its creators...honestly I don’t feel very hopeful

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    :negative:

• Funny Funny x 14
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. RapineDel Learned

RapineDel
    We could be saved, Starbreeze in deep trouble and if they go under surely it's the end for Otherside and this guaranteed abomination

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Imagine SS3 crashing and burning because Warren Spector tried to make it Deus Ex instead of System Shock much like how Underworld Ascendant tried to be Ultima Underworld instead of Thief.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://www.starbreeze.com/2018/11/starbreeze-is-reviewing-costs-and-focusing-on-core-business/

For better or worse, I think SS3 will be picked up by other publisher if they go under.

(I still don't understand why Starbreeze is doing VR headset business.)

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane

<3sRichardSimmons
    Isn’t Starbreeze the company that was founded by Vin Diesel? If so, weird that they would be lacking in business savvy.

^ Top  
  24. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Tigon was founded by Vin Diesel, not Starbreeze.
    Starbreeze made Enclave long before Chronicles of Riddick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    You're probably confusing it with Tigon. It was the studio that worked with Starbreeze when they were developing Riddick.

Those who made Enclave, Riddick and Darkness left Starbreeze though. They were sick of EA and Syndicate and founded MachineGames (the new Wolfenstein games).

Starbreeze today is more of a publisher and doesn't have much strength in development. They have Overkill, but they're miles away from the old crew of Starbreeze. Also, some important people already left Overkill (see 10 Chambers Collective and GTFO).

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)