Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=8573.msg38682#msg38682

Hi guys, here's our official statement about getting the publishing rights back for System Shock 3:

We have very much enjoyed working with Starbreeze on System Shock 3. They've been a great partner. As developers themselves they understand the challenges of game development and that's been refreshing. However, in light of Starbreeze’s current situation, we decided together that it would be best for us to go our separate ways for now. We wish them the best of luck.

OtherSide is rolling forward with System Shock 3. Warren Spector has built a great team and the game is more than halfway completed. At its core, it already feels like a System Shock game, while at the same time introducing new elements to the franchise. As the original creators of the game, we want to see this game made as much as our fans do. Look for more information about System Shock 3 soon.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Untitled.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Codex Year of the Donut
backer rewards other than minor ingame things(other than for very large backer amounts) are stupid, nobody cares about them
the last thing backers want is you to waste your money on physical merchandise

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Statement from Warren Spector: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=8573.msg38696#msg38696

In addition, via Warren:
We parted ways with Starbreeze (amicably), which means we are in the process of lining up a new publishing partner. Happily, given the pedigree of System Shock and the progress we've made so far there's been a lot of interest. Has the situation affected development? Not really. The team is still, as we say, 'psyched and cranking' - in other words, continuing as normal. We're confident we can bring System Shock 3 to market and have it take its place as a leading title in the immersive simulation genre.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Does this have any chance of not being a dumbed down shitty Bioshock alternative anyway? I can't see how that is even possible.

Terenty

Liturgist
"We're confident we can bring System Shock 3 to market and have it take its place as a leading title in the immersive simulation genre."

LOL

This game will look like cheap shovelware compared to Prey if it ever releases, mark my words

Space Nugget

There is plenty of funding for games like this and teams like this.

Say that to Paul Neurath and OtherSide Boston.

2K is a proper home for SS3.

2K's parent company (Take-Two) is already funding somewhat similar games: the next BioShock (2K), The Outer Worlds (Private Division), and Ken Levine's sci-fi so-called immersive sim (Ghost Story Games).

Space Nugget

Statement from Warren Spector: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=8573.msg38696#msg38696

In addition, via Warren:
We parted ways with Starbreeze (amicably), which means we are in the process of lining up a new publishing partner. Happily, given the pedigree of System Shock and the progress we've made so far there's been a lot of interest. Has the situation affected development? Not really. The team is still, as we say, 'psyched and cranking' - in other words, continuing as normal. We're confident we can bring System Shock 3 to market and have it take its place as a leading title in the immersive simulation genre.

We're confident we can bring System Shock 3 to market and have it take its place as a leading title in the immersive simulation genre.
pxwtgyiqvczjb0imbf43.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I kinda hope it sucks. A world where a reboot isn't shit would be so strange my head would explode. Also would people still want to play a tightly packed corridor shooter now? I would rather more STALKER. SS3 would have to be really good and there is just no way... It would need good and aggressive AI, finely balanced so you are always scared of running out of ammo. Multiple weapons that work in very different ways, some completely ineffective against some targets, etc. Some puzzling as well as just shooting stuff. I haven't seen a game like that for 30 years. I think at best this would be more SS2 in a modern engine which would not be ok. SS2 (especially SS1) were so special because of how advanced they were for the time. You can't just remake the same thing again all this time later and expect it to be a legit sequel. It would have to be as advanced today as it was back then, and that would take more than an indie budget.

Space Nugget

It would need good and aggressive AI, finely balanced so you are always scared of running out of ammo. Multiple weapons that work in very different ways, some completely ineffective against some targets, etc.

Prey: Mooncrash.

Latelistener

Arcane
After Underworld there is a little chance it will be at least somewhat comparable to Prey.

They also have a smaller budget and with all these talks about Firewatch I'm thinking about a walking sim rather than an immersive sim. Except most likely it won't be as good as SOMA too.

:timcain:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"We're confident we can bring System Shock 3 to market and have it take its place as a leading title in the immersive simulation genre."

LOL

This game will look like cheap shovelware compared to Prey if it ever releases, mark my words
I'm way, way more worried about how it will play than how it will look...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://otherside-e.com/wp/system-shock-3-update/

System Shock 3 Update

We have very much enjoyed working with Starbreeze on System Shock 3. They’ve been a great partner. As developers themselves they understand the challenges of game development and that’s been refreshing. However, in light of Starbreeze’s current situation, we decided together that it would be best for us to go our separate ways for now. We wish them the best of luck.

OtherSide is rolling forward with System Shock 3. Warren Spector has built a great team and the game is more than halfway completed. At its core, it already feels like a System Shock game, while at the same time introducing new elements to the franchise. As the original creators of the game, we want to see this game made as much as our fans do.

From Warren himself: “We parted ways with Starbreeze (amicably), which means we are in the process of lining up a new publishing partner. Happily, given the pedigree of System Shock and the progress we’ve made so far there’s already a lot of interest. Has the situation affected development? Not really. The team is still, as we say, ‘psyched and cranking’ – in other words, continuing as normal. I’m confident we can bring System Shock 3 to market and have it take its place as a leading title in the immersive simulation genre.”

Look for more information about System Shock 3 soon.

Cheers,
The OtherSide Team

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
it will be at least somewhat comparable to Prey.
C-c-c-c-..comparable? I mean, Prey didn't push the enveloppe gameplay wise but the level design is something out of this world. Every single thing has a purpose, the sense of being in a place that could exist is built in a way I've rarely felt about any video game.
Meanwhile, if there's a lesson I'd take from Underworld it's that these people can't make a game anyone would actually want to play, not even the most hardcore fanboys of a niche.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom