Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

This looks promising. A proper horror title. A unique horror title. The very first meta-game horror title. One without jumpscares, without an oppressing atmosphere. Those belong in video games made for autistic children. No, the scares in this game will be real, a true philosophical, existential dread. The player will ask himself hard-hitting questions through their playthrough, such as: Who thought this was a good idea? Why did I spend my money on this pile of garbage? The most powerful one being: Why did they rape the legacy of this series so brutally, so joyfully, so carelessly?

Reading that for the first few sentences I thought we had on our hands the TemplarGR of Otherside Entertainment and I got a bit worried for your mental health. Because even he would not be out of it enough to be hyped for System Shock 3.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Untitled.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It will come out, and they will say :

"Guys, we never said it was going to be like System Shock 1&2, and that the levels would be connected to each others, and that there would be logs, puzzles, and rpg elements. We're sorry you read too much into it. We wanted, from the very start, to do a walking simulator."

Glic2000

Educated
That is literally what I'm expecting at this point. Also, they will somehow find a way to make SHODAN sound like Jar Jar Binks.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From Art director's updated resume, also mentions reactive game world: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nk5Oup50CNrQF6lCMKgAs6ySvWSIXvxLnA48hCP_QvM/edit

Art Director/ Assistant Creative Director
Otherside Entertainment: Austin
2016 - Present
  • Lead a small core crew of inhouse artists, and a large core of outsourcers in the creation of System Shock 3.
    Cross discipline creative and logistic leadership to prototype and excecute on a deep first person horror/ survival simulation in which the game world is highly reactive.
  • Art direction of all aesthetic disciplines and creative direction for the game as a whole..
  • Project planning, personnel management, risk assessment, budget allocation, negotiation between disciplines and with vendors and outsourced partners.
  • Pipeline development, establishing procedures and techniques to achieve consistent, measurable results.
  • Schedule creation and enforcement.
  • Hands-on prototyping and vizdev to set the visual bar, and guide the team.
  • Creation of marketing material, support for the Publisher needs.

Also junior level designer, a graduate from University of Texas at Dallas: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-fields/

Luzur

Good Sir
Bleah 0 faith since they are bringing back SHODAN which means it will probably be a sucky nostalgia fest. While cool, her return in SS 2 was already pretty dumb.

I don't want her to turn into Dracula from Castlevania.

What if Shodan being back is ruse and when you start game you will be whole game seeking her and game will finally tell you she is not in game and all of things you saw were your PTSD and you were the one actually fucking up system killing people chasing ghosts and player in the end will commit suecide ?

:martini:

Too edgy for mainstream or nostalgia.

The plot will be something like:

BLAH BLAH BLAH ship wreckage found BLAH BLAH BLAH Shodan is reconstructed since this is horror sci-fi and people's intelligence drops dramatically BLAH BLAH BLAH you are in stasis because you are another experiment or something like that BLAH BLAH BLAH Repeat the previous 2 game's setting.

Dont forget romance options, both gay, lesbian, alien and bi/trans/negro, a must for modern times

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Still mad. I haven't been caught out with anything. I couldn't remember one thing about the first Thief game. Which you love and I think is shit, and that enrages you, forever.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Still mad. I haven't been caught out with anything. I couldn't remember one thing about the first Thief game. Which you love and I think is shit, and that enrages you, forever.

Still with the pathetic excuses.

For the third time now, from the top: The thread in its entirety (for those who can access it)

If you can't access it, here are the bulletpoints (after anvi asked people to give evidence of his crappy post history):

The bitch asked for evidence, I shall present it, in the form of the post that got anvi his dumbfuck tag:

anvi said:
Thief is bad, don't believe the hype! Ok to be honest, it is a good series and there are things that I really like about it. The use of light is brilliant, you can hide in shadows and step into the light of a flaming torch and they spot you. That shit was revolutionary at the time. It is also nice to have a first person action game that isn't just about sprinting around headshotting everyone with a gun. Also the atmosphere is fantastic, the level design is decent, etc.

But beyond that... it leaves so much to be desired. Bonking everyone on the head is kinda dumb, and standing 2 inches from a guard who can't spot you because you are in a dark corner of a room, is also stretching feasibility of it all. For me it all works pretty close to being great, but the combat itself lets it down. The main issue is that if you swing your stick of wood and miss the guard, you are done for. But it feels awkward and you have to get so close to land the hit, and if you get too close, you are also done for. It is so immersive except when it comes to actually smacking people and then it feels like you are riding a dog while trying to knock someone out with a drinking straw. In real life you could smack someone on the head easily.

One of the later games was a lot better. It had a bow and arrow to cap people but also there were water arrows that put the lights out that added a whole new dimension to the game. I think that was probably the peak of the series. It still wasn't perfect but it was a lot better. I respect the early versions for what they did, but they aren't great games in terms of actual mechanics and stuff, which is what really matters...

Let's examine this text.

The only problem with the first paragraph is "that shit was revolutionary at the time", because it's still revolutionary 20 years later. Thief is still considered the No. 1 'go-to' game for stealth, especially for games in the first person perspective. This is more of a problem with the game industry than our current whipping boy, so let's move on.

The second paragraph starts to hint at the ignorance at play here:

"standing 2 inches from a guard who can't spot you because you are in a dark corner of a room, is also stretching feasibility of it all"

In the first game the manual, intro sequence and tutorial all conspire to say the same thing to the player: Garrett has the supernatural ability to blend into shadows to the point that he becomes invisible. In the second game this is sadly toned back so that only the manual and installation screens (that are only seen when installing the game from the CD's) but by this point this should be common knowledge. The third game also makes a case of this in some form that I can't fully recall, and we don't talk about how Thiaf does things. Garrett's stealth capabilities are the only superhuman advantage the game gives to the player, and forms the central core of the game.

"For me it all works pretty close to being great, but the combat itself lets it down."

The Thief games also make a case of pointing out that in straight-up combat Garrett is the underdog, combat is a means of last resort and not the first choice.

"The main issue is that if you swing your stick of wood and miss the guard, you are done for. But it feels awkward and you have to get so close to land the hit, and if you get too close, you are also done for. It is so immersive except when it comes to actually smacking people and then it feels like you are riding a dog while trying to knock someone out with a drinking straw. In real life you could smack someone on the head easily."

I don't know where to begin with this one. There's the concept of 'risk vs reward' (get really close and score a knock-out blow and you can remove a threat with minimal attention drawn to yourself) to explain why blackjacking people is hard, then there's the old adage of 'practice makes perfect' (or as it's known today, 'git gud') and finally there's the false real-life analogy. It's easy to smack someone on the head, yes... but to do it so that they are knocked out cold in one hit? Without killing them? Without tipping off everyone in the vicinity what just happened? Without you being fingered as the culprit? Good luck.

And then we get to the good stuff - the final paragraph.

"One of the later games was a lot better. It had a bow and arrow to cap people but also there were water arrows that put the lights out that added a whole new dimension to the game."

:retarded:

And this is how the conversation rolled out when anvi got called out on his shit:

Oh so one of later games had water arrows. Truly, an improvement over that previous game that didn't have them.. And main problem is that knocking out guards is too hard.. Yeah, post is fucking legit, definitely someone who played the games and knows what he's talking about.

It's not that it is hard, more the opposite of that, it just feels clunky and gimpy and slow motion and there is no finesse to it. And what's wrong with the water arrows thing?

And what's wrong with the water arrows thing?

Everything. It proves you haven't played the damn game and are talking out of your ass. Likely copying what you've read written somewhere else by other clueless retard. Every single Thief game has water arrows. Your complaints about knocking out guards being too hard are equally laughable, if anything it's too easy. "Oh no, I have to get really close to land a hit.." If you actually played these games and still think these things then I'm scared to even imagine the level of retard you're on. Or you're just a sleazebag who pretends to have played an old game he really has no intention of ever touching.

I played all of them except Thi4f. And I never said anything was too hard. I played the original Thief when it first came out, before you were born, and then again a few years ago. They are gimpy games with boring gameplay, except Deadly Whatever which was kind of good. Also the same is true of Deus Ex. Over rated and boring. Also you have the worst avatar I've seen on this forum. It looks like kids cartoon alien was photoshopped onto Santa's shoulders. Also I doubt you have even played any of these games, because I'm pretty sure Lithuania has no electricity and everyone lives in war torn rubble.

At this point I requested that anvi be tagged as a dumbfuck. Which produced this gem:

JarlFrank Dumbfuck-tag on anvi, if you please.

I would actually be in favor of special tag for people who don't like Thief. "Dumbfuck" is just not sufficiently shameful.
As a dumbfuck i second that. I don't want to be seen as someone at his level!Also i love Thief games!

This may explain why the tags kept piling on.

This all fits with what has been established in this thread: anvi is a seriously butthurt imbecile that talks out of his ass. The thread goes on with anvi spouting more nonsense and we constantly calling him out on it.

That exchange eventually led to anvi storming off in a huff and not posting again on the Codex for the next 8 months. When he did 'return' in fullest he kept posting shit and being all butthurt when called out on it, so absolutely nothing was learned during that self-imposed exile.

And now, here we are. I'm somewhat puzzled over Zombra taking the time to make this thread, considering that Zombra's 'Ignore' list is a mile long.

anvi somehow managed to get all of his tags removed, even though there was absolutely no reason to do so.

So once more, I request of the RPG Codex staff: Tag anvi with every single negative tag you know of, he has done nothing but post drivel that justifies him having multiple negative tags.

To anvi I shall say this: I shall NEVER tire of hating on you and exposing your stupid ass to other Codexers, I shall only take solace in one of two things (both?) happening:

1: That the RPG Codex staff bestow every negative tag upon you, which you so rightfully deserve.

2: That you ragequit for good, instead of just an eight-month period like last time.

With that said, fuck off. For your own sake.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Not only did Starbreeze walk away from SS3, the first publisher also walked away from UA (definitely popping the corks for that decision), and it's pretty safe to say that 505 are banging their heads against the wall for having been so dumb to jump in.

The KS was run while we had a funding partner lined up who could finance the game. Shortly after the KS was finished, this funding partner pivoted away from UA

https://steamcommunity.com/app/692840/discussions/0/1848072002772540554/#c1769259642860738259

But, of course, all is going well and everyone is excited.

Our SS3 meetings and pitches are going well so far. Those we’ve shown the recent builds to seem genuinely excited about it. I’m an optimistic and I continue to be optimistic about us finding a good partner for the game. Keep sending your good vibes

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/starbreeze-cancel-system-shock-3-publishing-deal/9855/12

Six weeks since Starbreeze cancelled and still no new publisher. Not even rumors about who could be interested. Tick-tock...

Latelistener

Arcane
Quite a few people walked away from SS3, like Sheldon Pacotti who later said that it simply "didn't work out". A good decision.

Nyast

Cipher
So, today we learned from the UA forums that:

1. SS3 has a 12-13M$ development budget
2. UA had "less than half of that", so let's say 5-6M$.

Another way to look at it: if it took $6M to produce UA, even doubling that budget, when you see what crap they did with $6M, you should be really, really, really worried about SS3. Like, really.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
At this stage we are all worried about SS3 regardless of how much money they throw at it. You cant buy your way out of incompetence and ineptitude.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom