Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Luka-boy

Arcane
Trending: SHODAN teeth
They probably used Faceapp on a concept art pic of SHODAN and called it a day.
-flwnfjkbube2zws2bpnjjzkrv.jpg

grimace

Arcane

Also from Facebook comment, referring to comments that SHODAN looks a bit too human:

Warren Spector Man, it's good to be able to show some #systemshock3 footage. I can't say much, but I will say there might just be a reason SHODAN looks the way she does...

SHODAN becomes the BORG queen and uses android bodies like Terminator to hunt you down like the big baddies in Bioshock?!?

The game that influenced those games now re-integrates all the ideas in a mess of a tech demo?

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
What a schizophrenic video. Way to turn poor Shodan into a ridiculous caricature of herself. Not impressed.

Definitely not a gameplay video either. If you can't show 2-3 minutes of actual uninterrupted gameplay then you are trying to sell people a nothingburger and you know it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gameplay video is IGN's description of it. The official version on OtherSide's YouTube channel is titled "Gameplay Teaser".

grimace

Arcane
That's a criticism of the "hype" news "viral" clickbait nature of news-entertainment.

We really just want to hear about the project directly from Warren's mouth.

Also, was there an official word on this bit of (now old) news?

Starbreeze cancel OtherSide's System Shock 3 publishing deal and demand their money back

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...hing-deal-and-demand-their-money-back.126132/

Infinitron said:
"Notice the absence of an actual quote from the other party in there. OtherSide have yet to publicly respond to these events, and I'm not sure they ever will. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like unless they have another published lined up they're probably toast."

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sam comments from new Discord server for SS3:

WOOHOO for hype! This is just a teaser though, we still have a couple of years ahead of us before we release. Also need that publisher :D

No confirmed co-op for SS3. Other projects though...

As for SHODAN... some of you may want to replay SS2!

There will still be important information in SS2 that informs SS3

Arghh but there's.... so much I can't talk about that I think are good interactions with the environment you can do in Shock3

perhaps it's more important to distinguish that a lot of the environmental interactions for Shock3 are more obviously intentional, and the player has more control over those.

The teaser trailer here highlighted some gameplay options of violence, but players looking for a more DOOM-like experience will be disappointed! Flatfingers is on the right track about a lot of things though... I don't think Warren has ever made a game that he himself disliked

grimace

Arcane
"I don't think Warren has ever made a game that he himself disliked"

We only put Warren in the spotlight because Warren puts himself in the spotlight, on the stage, preaching the gospel of his creation design philosophy.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
But SHODNA's teeth certainly prove that this game is originated from Warren's biggest regret while making Epic Mickey: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...ing-magic-with-Mickey-in-Disneys-kingdom.html

And if that’s understandable, there’s a pleasing corporate idiosyncrasy to Spector being told that he could not, under any circumstances, show Mickey’s teeth. “They’re shown constantly,” he says, exasperated. “Don’t even get me started. I have no idea why that was a constraint imposed on this game, but it was. But if that’s the worst someone tells you – sure, I won’t show Mickey’s teeth.”

grimace

Arcane
Love that there’s no ”first-person RPG game” pretense, just ”action game.”

System Shock returning to its roots. SS2 was an aberration.

Since there are far more people who watch Let's Play Videos than people who play (let alone purchase) games we campaign for Warren Spector to "Play" his "Game".

The twist being that the game is not playable because it's not complete. The end goal of the System Shock 3 project then is a Let's Play of a game we can never play. We derive the entertainment from watching the "complete playthru" of the 3D art assets as a machinima with the added Let's Play layer of realism. Release this movie directly to Netlfix as a new type of entertainment.

There must be a way to salvage this. :dealwithit:

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
"This is just a teaser though, we still have a couple of years ahead of us before we release. Also need that publisher, No confirmed co-op for SS3. Other projects though..."

"A couple of years" is at least 2 years, maybe 3 or more. So they are launching in 2021 or 2022 or even later than that. And no publisher. Plus "other projects"

Who keeps the company going until then? They need several million $ to do that.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You said they're going down around August. So wtf is going on? Financially speaking. They must have some income from some other activity or deposits somewhere that they use to finance these projects, otherwise I just don't see how they can keep going.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
I was wrong about the repayments to Starbreeze. As I detailed in earlier posts based on recent disclosures, it is extremely likely that the Starbreeze repayments are royalties-based. That means any repayments will only be made once SS3 has launched and will be paid from the game's revenues only.

The basis of my prediction was that OS has to repay a fixed amount per month/quarter/year to Starbreeze over time. That would have made development of SS3 impossible.

But with a royalties-based repayment regime, I do believe they can continue operations.

That said, their funds from their $3.5 million stock sale last year is probably used up by now, so they have to find new sources of capital.

I suspect they are indeed doing what Spector said they'd do: They are self-publishing SS3. Paying out of their own pockets.

What is Paul Neurath worth? Probably north of $10 million. And Warren Spector? Maybe about the same. And those other guys at the top (OSEWalter etc.)? And there are the two investors (Michael Dornbrook and Geoffrey Hyatt) who according to Linkedin are now OS board members.

They probably need $4-5 million to complete development of a watered-down, low ambition SS3. For 5-6 people who have means, that's doable.

ciox

Liturgist
They probably need $4-5 million to complete development of a watered-down, low ambition SS3. For 5-6 people who have means, that's doable.
This is probably why the plot was changed to an interquel, changing the environment from Citadel + Von Braun to a simpler more self-contained environment, and reducing the number of characters that will have to be rigged and animated, by leaving out the survivors from SS2.

https://gamingcentral.in/new-details-concept-art-for-system-shock-3-emerges/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This isn't a Kickstarter. They don't have to make this game. If you can't make a System Shock 3 with all the budget it deserves, why make it at all? FFS.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I was wrong about the repayments to Starbreeze. As I detailed in earlier posts based on recent disclosures, it is extremely likely that the Starbreeze repayments are royalties-based. That means any repayments will only be made once SS3 has launched and will be paid from the game's revenues only.

The basis of my prediction was that OS has to repay a fixed amount per month/quarter/year to Starbreeze over time. That would have made development of SS3 impossible.

But with a royalties-based repayment regime, I do believe they can continue operations.

That said, their funds from their $3.5 million stock sale last year is probably used up by now, so they have to find new sources of capital.

I suspect they are indeed doing what Spector said they'd do: They are self-publishing SS3. Paying out of their own pockets.

What is Paul Neurath worth? Probably north of $10 million. And Warren Spector? Maybe about the same. And those other guys at the top (OSEWalter etc.)? And there are the two investors (Michael Dornbrook and Geoffrey Hyatt) who according to Linkedin are now OS board members.

Goddamnit. Starbreeze was in a perfect position to bankrupt OtherSide, but they just had to let them off easy.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
This isn't a Kickstarter. They don't have to make this game. If you can't make a System Shock 3 with all the budget it deserves, why make it at all? FFS.
I think they do it anyway because they can cash in on the name and make some profit, even if the end result is shit. Look at how many terrible remakes there have been of movies. There are hundreds of them and I keep seeing more. There is already a stigma of shitty reboots, yet they keep on coming, just the other day I saw a new Jacobs Ladder with 3.1/10 on imdb. Easy profit. It is a bit different with this case because it will affect some people's reputation. But they might not even care if they are old and just want a bit of retirement money.

The depressing thing to me is that even if they do a good job, it is still never going to be anything more than an adequate Unity based reboot on a limited budget. If it got what it truly deserved, it would be a huge budget game with top end graphics and music, and gameplay that breaks new ground. Because that's how System Shock was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom